Back injury is the latest warning sign for Carson Wentz

Getty Images

Carson Wentz is a great quarterback. He also has compiled a worrisome collection of injuries in less than three years in football.

The two concepts aren’t mutually exclusive, even if some Eagles fans view the pointing out of Wentz’s physical propensities as personal affronts. The reality is that Wentz’s aggressive playing style has resulted in multiple injuries, and the news that he’ll miss Sunday’s game against the Rams due to a back injury becomes arguably the reddest of the injury-related red flags.

Torn ACLs can fully heal. Back problems never go away for good. When Tony Romo was dealing with back issues late in his career, Troy Aikman pointed out that his own career didn’t end prematurely due to concussions but due to back problems.

With Wentz still only 25, the sudden emergence of back injuries should cause plenty of concern for Eagles fans. Beyond likely derailing a last-gasp effort to get to the playoffs, Eagles fans will now have to worry continuously about the back problem flaring up without warning, potentially derailing future seasons as well.

That’s not to say Wentz isn’t the long-term answer. He clearly is. But it will always be important for the Eagles to have a quality backup to Wentz, because they’ll have to constantly be sensitive to the possibility that Wentz will suddenly be unavailable to play for a week or longer.

31 responses to “Back injury is the latest warning sign for Carson Wentz

1. red says:
    the one year wonder Wentz will not win a Super Bowl as long as Dak Prescott is in the division.

HaHa, that’s funny. I’m a huge Cowboys homer and I would trade Dak for Wentz any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

2. red says:
    December 12, 2018 at 1:54 pm
    ——–

Neither one of them will.

3. mogat1: Thank you for the dose of sanity. Just because he has back spasms, that does not mean he has a degenerative back injury. His back hurts because he had Dallas Cowboys draped over his spine all afternoon last Sunday.

4. mogat1 says:
    December 12, 2018 at 2:26 pm

red says:

___________________________________________________________________________________
    As a Cowboys fan myself, I’d usually agree with you, but these injuries are concerning. I’m not sold on Dak, but I don’t know if I’d want an injured Wentz either.

5. Pederson needs to be smart about this and shut Wentz down for the rest of the year. Not worth risking his career for a slim chance of making these playoffs.
    Just shows how difficult it is to make the playoffs on a yearly basis.

6. What made Wentz “great” ? As we all know, it was Foles who ran the table and propelled the Eagles to win the Super Bowl. Just trying to figure out how Wentz could be great when he didn’t do anything other than help win a few games.

7. As a Rams fan I will objectively say that Foles can have success against our pathetic defense. The only reason I think we win this game is because we should be able to attack Philly’s terrible secondary.

8. jorgetown420 – I’m not completely writing Dak off, I do think he has potential to be better if he had better coaching plus a veteran backup. I mean, Kellen Moore is his qb coach for crying out loud. Dak played much better when he had Romo and Sanchez is in his ear. Sanchez isn’t a great qb but he did seem to be great at breaking down stuff for Dak. As soon as Dak got off the field Sanchez was right there talking to him about what he saw and breaking down plays. But talent wise, I think Wentz is leaps and bounds ahead of Dak. Praying Jerry doesn’t throw a huge contract at Dak, give him a one year prove it that he can be more accurate and actually feel the pressure coming.. and please for the love of God get rid of Garrett.

9. I don’t think Carson Wentz is any more injury prone than most NFL Quarterbacks. Tom Brady also missed an entire season due to a torn ACL. Aaron Rodgers missed most of last season due to a broken collarbone, (and not for the first time btw).

Haters gonna hate and try to mess with us Eagles fans about our great QB Carson Wentz. And he is great as even Florio acknowledges.

10. It will be more important for the Eagles to protect Wentz better than they have this year.

And his back injury has little to do with his aggressive style of play, especially in a year when he hasn’t left the pocket all that much. It has everything to do with him getting pounded regularly behind an o-line that fell apart this year.

11. Saying that Wentz’s aggressive playing style resulted in injuries is just false. There are FAR too many variables and possibilities on every down to attribute an injury to one thing or another. Plenty of “safe” quarterbacks get injured, plenty of “aggressive” ones don’t.

12. @Edward Halverson says:
    December 12, 2018 at 2:18 pm
    Glad the Rams picked Goff, even though talking heads disagreed.
    =============================================================================================
    Sure you did, and Hue Jackson wanted Watson, etc. Go ahead and admit you believed Jeff Fisher when he said Goff couldn’t handle snaps under center. It’s ok to admit that. If you can prove you felt that way at that time, then fine, otherwise it’s just hindsight.

13. NFL Network reported earlier this afternoon he could be done for the season. Definitely out this week and if eliminated from playoffs, he’s likely done for the season.

14. Team shut him down, no reason to risk injury. They gave Foles a bonus to stay, now he earns it on the field win or loss (1-1 so far). Someone will pay him Keenum $ next year and Eags help him get there.

15. Like Troy Aikman can be trusted…he works for the partners of the league. Of course he’s gonna give a safe answer that doesn’t touch on concussions.

16. Yes he is. MVP year last year prior to the injury. Put up good numbers this year in spite of OL problems and horrible play calling. So yeah.

17. luvusa1 says:
    December 12, 2018 at 7:03 pm

**********
    The play calling has been so great this year that wentz with no running game and no oline and back injuries still put up better numbers than last year

18. Alex Smith got his year ended by being agress… Oh wait. I’m thinking of Jimmy Garop… Oh wait. I’m thinking of Andy Dalt… Oh wait. Was it Colt McCoy?

19. He had cracked ribs in 2016 didn’t miss any regular season games. He was healthy until a freak injury last year. Now he’s coming back from a significant injury and has back tightness. That could be anything. I’m not worried about him.

20. I’m an Eagles season ticket holder since 79. I bleed Green(Kelly green specifically) and I have no doubt I’ll get hammered for saying this, But I just don’t see Wentz as being a ‘Great’ quarterback. I think he’s an average/slightly above average QB who has (had?) exceptional athletic ability. His accuracy can be suspect at times, He has a propensity to miss open targets because he’s locked in to a specific pattern or player (usually Ertz) and he plays much better in a moving pocket than a standard set. All of this leads me to believe that once the Athletic ability is negated he’s basically Joe Flacco.

21. “Carson Wentz is a great quarterback”

Based on what? Dak has better numbers and he wins more games.