Ben Roethlisberger denies he played through cracked ribs

Getty Images

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger missed much of the second half of the team’s Week 14 loss to the Raiders with injured ribs, but he returned to play against the Patriots in last Sunday’s 17-10 win.

Before that game got underway, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reported that Roethlisberger was dealing with cracked ribs. During a Tuesday appearance on 93.7 The Fan, Roethlisberger denied that was the case.

“I have no idea where that came from,” Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “My wife texted me before the game and said, ‘Did you hear about this?’ I’m in the locker room. I don’t know where that guy gets his information from, so we’re not going to give him any credence on this show.”

Roethlisberger did not divulge his exact condition, but said “we’re all dealing with a lot of pain this time of the year” and gave credit to the medical staff for getting him ready to face New England last Sunday. Roethlisberger will have to deal with the Saints’ surging defense this weekend as he tries to keep the Steelers pointed toward the postseason.

42 responses to “Ben Roethlisberger denies he played through cracked ribs

1. I believe him. If Ben had cracked ribs he’d make sure the entire free world would be aware of it, (so he could hobble back out after the fact to play the proverbial “he’s one tough SOB that’ll play through anything” accolades.

2. A lot of players do shows and radio segments all across the league, why
    bother reporting what Ben says on his show ? Nobody else cares.

Let the Steelers fans, and the trolls who love to hate him, focus on
    his every word. No need to stir the hornets nest in here every week.

3. Kind of reminds me of last year when we had to get a minute by minute report about the status of Brady’s hand boo boo, like there was actually a snowball’s chance in you know where that he wasn’t going to play.

4. Internet tough guys on here are always the same tough talking keyboard warriors that could take one minute of what Ben does every game so they need to save their testosterone for their significant other.

5. “I have no idea where that came from,” Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “My wife texted me before the game and said, ‘Did you hear about this?’ I’m in the locker room. I don’t know where that guy gets his information from, so we’re not going to give him any credence on this show.

lol. Doesn’t know where that guy gets his information. I’d say without a doubt directly
    from Big Jen’s Public Relations person or his agent. I swear every game Big Jen leaves
    with some kind of injury only to return and do his best Willis Reed impersonation!! If
    he directs a comeback, the headline reads Big Jen overcomes injury to lead the Steelers
    and if they lose it reads, “Despite Mr. Miyagi coming out of the broom closet, rubbing his
    hands together and miraculously healing Big Jen, the Steelers comeback falls short and
    they lose to the Cobra Kai”. Whatever. :/

6. Nofoolnodrool says:
    December 18, 2018 at 5:38 pm

————-
    You just provided an apt description of yourself

7. Roethisberger’s critics are those who never played the game!

Not true. I had to provide my cable company with my NFL pay stub and game tape before I was allowed to watch the NFL on my TV. You’re obviously not talking about me.

8. daddeeo says:
    December 18, 2018 at 6:33 pm
    Wouldn’t have mattered. The PATs D can’t get to a QB anyways.

______________________________

Because they were too cheap to pay Chandler Jones so they traded him. Now they’re paying the price for being cheap.

9. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    December 18, 2018 at 4:21 pm
    Big Baby!!!
    ———
    Don’t have to tell me.

10. steelercrazy says:
    December 18, 2018 at 7:16 pm
    daddeeo says:
    December 18, 2018 at 6:33 pm
    Wouldn’t have mattered. The PATs D can’t get to a QB anyways.

______________________________

_—————————————————————
    EXACTLY right! I was so looking forward to seeing Jones play for the PATS, then they traded him. In the last couple of years BB has gone overboard trying to prove that he can do it with anyone. He played chess and lost big this year.

11. boisestatewhodat says:
    December 18, 2018 at 4:35 pm
    Saints 42
    Steelers 20——————————–

I dont know, did you watch the Saints the last few games?

Eagle fan here

12. But…..in his entire quote, did Ben ever say the report was wrong? Don’t get me wrong….if he had a hangnail, he would make sure the world knew he was near death and overcame it, but he never actually denies the report, while appearing to ridicule the reporter for reporting such a preposterous thing. Maybe he’s preparing for a post-football career in politics?

13. Would you look at that? All these Patriots trolls becoming Saints trolls, because Tommy Brady is a old fart who is way past his prime. Who Dat you say? I can’t wait for this overrated team to be exposed. Steelers are gonna win in a blowout and NO MVP for Drew “I can only reach 1 Super Bowl” Brees.

14. When he loses to New Orleans, he will have cracked ribs. They will be so cracked you won’t believe he managed to play before leaving the game for a a set of downs and then returning to throw a pick six in the end zone. They will be awesomely cracked.