Josh Gordon steps away from football, again

Getty Images

For the second time this year, and for the first time with the Patriots, receiver Josh Gordon has voluntarily stepped away from football, amid reports that it’s really not voluntary.

“I take my mental health very seriously at this point to ensure I remain able to perform at the highest level,” Gordon said in a post on social media. “I have recently felt like I could have a better grasp on things mentally. With that said, I will be stepping away from the football field for a bit to focus on my mental health. I would like to thank Coach Belichick, Mr. Kraft, as well as countless others within the Patriots organization for their continued support. I want to thank my fans for their support as well as I continue down the path to getting back to 100%.”

It’s unclear what “for a bit” means, but the NFL’s in-house media arm is reporting that Gordon currently faces another indefinite suspension under the substance-abuse policy — despite the high degree of confidentiality that applies to the substance-abuse policy, supposedly.

Gordon missed all of 2015 and 2016 due to violations of the substance-abuse policy. The Browns abruptly traded him to the Patriots after Week One, a move that came after Gordon voluntarily delayed reporting to training camp, again citing a desire to address issues relating to his mental health.

164 responses to “Josh Gordon steps away from football, again

1. But I thought the Patriots were going to save him from himself…
    It’s a good thing he had such a great game against the Steelers before he called it a career.

2. It’s a real shame. You can find yourself in the best situation possible on this planet but your demons almost always find a way to destroy it. Get well Josh.

3. Patriots, watch the media give them credit for trying. All other teams would get railed on, but the Pats loving media won’t upset the apple cart. The Pats will come out with a statement that will more than likely be 100% false, but ESPN will commend them.

4. At this point it’s just a sad story that has shown a clear distinction between someone making poor decisions and someone with a genuine health condition.

Whatever happens I hope he is able to move forward and live a healthy life.

5. Pretty sad seeing how things were looking up for Gordon. He is toast now. If you can’t right the ship in NE, its likely not going to happen anywhere. Trolls will troll, but the bottom line is the guy’s heath is the most important. Pats traded a 5th, will get back a 7th, and had over 700 yards and 3 TDs from Gordon. Not too bad. Good luck man. You are gonna need it.

6. No disparaging comments here. Despite what we believe, living life in the glare of a professional athlete is not easy and if you’re not ‘right in the head’ it will only compound your mental illness.

Josh, take care of yourself first, get yourself well, then worry about ‘what now.’

7. Dylan Gonzalez just broke up with Gordon about a week or so ago. Guessing this was the straw that broke the camel’s back. One would have to think Gordon’s NFL career is over now if he is in fact looking at another year or longer suspension.

8. revren10 says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:07 am
    Waste of a trade, and now your out the player and the draft pick sent to Cleveland.

They were desperate for receiver help, and it only cost them what will ultimately be a low fifth rounder. Everyone knew it was high risk/high reward when they made the deal.

9. A lot of second guessing Belichick for not working him in more. Now it looks like Belichick knew something the rest of us didn’t. Whether it was only enough that he did nit want fame plans that relied on him or it it directly spawned a devision to pull him out of a game that surprised everyone we will never know. But certainly it does look like he at least had an idea not to get too reliant on him.

10. I’ve always defended Josh. He’s a good football player, and maybe he really does have mental issues. But it almost seems likes he likes to smoke weed and drink more than anything. Those are more choices than they are a mental health issue.

11. At what point do you quit feeling sorry for someone that continually fails to learn from past mistakes? He’s had rare opportunities that 99.5 % of the population never get. A classic example of going from the penthouse to the outhouse, again….

12. So does he have mental health issues and a drug problem? Or is he just using mental problems as an excuse for his drug abuse? Which would be terrible.

13. Oh Boy here comes all the haters and I told you so experts….

I can only Ask God to help this young man as he goes forward. Because everyone else is going to persecute him and rant about him as a failure and the media will have it’s normal feasting on this and taking it for as many clicks as it can get.

He tried , he has to step away…. unfortunately no one will let him be…the media is circling in the blood spawned waters as I type…

Let he who is with out sin cast the first stone…. but I have a strong feeling there will be tons of stones thrown on this poor young man today.

Christmas is around the corner….. give a gift of forgiveness and let this kid be.

14. Another gaffe by the genius. You know, the old never make a trade with Belichick! He loses more than his fair share of these deals but it gets glossed over.

15. Expected…..not this soon…..but expected. He has never been held accountable for his actions a single day in his life.Has been pushed through because of his on-field talent and everyone acts surprised.

16. Too bad, he needs help badly. He had the best situation with the Patriots, and that
    is obviously not working. Get well soon Josh

17. revren10 says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:07 am

=====================

Trading back 2 rounds for 11 games of pretty decent production isn’t a complete waste. Pats still have Cleveland’s 7th rounder from that deal.

18. I commend the Browns and Patriots for trying with this guy. But you can do only so much. The key to better health often dwells within the patient himself. He has to muster the strength and conviction to find and use it. Here’s hoping he does.

19. This really makes me angry, about the NFL and society in general. We’re still stuck in this retrograde thinking where if someone has addictions, they’re bad and have to be excluded and punished.

You can say things like, “those are the rules/laws, he should know better”, but that’s stupid. He’s not out there hurting other people, committing crimes against people, he’s just dealing with chemical imbalances and addiction. It’s not about “knowing better”, or magically having your neurological state changed by getting a big paycheck.

Why can’t the league, and society, just deal with that without exiling someone? Being forced out of a good support system is the *last* thing that anyone in this situation needs. It seems pretty clear that he was doing better than before, and making more progress than before, in his time with the Pats. Now that has to get thrown in the trash. Why? Why not just have a player go through treatment/therapy without punishment and exile? Why not help someone heal and get to a better place without the constant threat of “your career is over if you mess up once?” It’s arbitrary and idiotic.

One day, we’ll collectively see that and change our approach. But for now, people like Gordon are paying the price.

20. Feel bad for the kid, but a lesson to the rest of us…a troubled guy is not healed by getting traded to ANY organization. that is being as Naive as you get.

21. How many chances does this guy want? Big shame as he was doing well for the Pats but time for the NFL to move on.

What a waste of talent

22. Crap…..
    Get well Josh & good luck with your future wherever that may take you…..was fun watching you play in a Patriots uniform if for only a short time…..
    Looks like Dorsett & Patterson are the next guys up…..
    Go Pats!!!!

23. I so want to use this situation to rip Patriots fans for their dumb claims as to what was going to happen with Gordon, but I can’t. All I can do is wish the best for the man and hope and pray that he gets his life in order once and for all. Good luck man.

24. Its a mental problem he has, not running and catching the football. It doesn’t matter that Brady is
    there for him. He needs rehab help.

25. I really think the Patriots where very selfish here ,,why think in football terms ,,you mean to tell me this pompous organization thinks it’s a behavioral health facility now ,,they just delayed this man getting the real help he needs about a real problem ,,,not a football game ,, shame on the Patriots for thinking they are bigger that just a football team !

26. ariani1985 says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:06 am
    2 yard Tom is feverishly trying to ignore the elephant in the room.
    _____________________________________

Hahaha … the first time I’ve ever agreed with you on anything.

27. steelerfanjo says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:07 am
    ———————–
    Patriots fans would crap on anyone who signed Brandon Marshall a few years ago….but now it’s happened to them, they deny deny deny The Patriot way.

28. jbindm says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:10 am

revren10 says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:07 am

——————————————————————————————————–
    Facts are we get a 7th round back if he didn’t make the season so the team traded a 5th round for chance he would make it.

Josh was leading all receivers in yards per catch since he came back… and 3 TD’s….. Granted not earth breaking stats… but showed that the kid still had it. Now we can only hope he gets the help he needs for the rest of his life…

29. The best ability is availability, and Gordon’s addiction makes him lack that. He’s unfortunately unreliable. There’s no sugarcoating that.
    Mental illness and addictions are debilitating and no joke. If he’s played his last down in the league, hopefully he can focus on getting himself treated and staying committed to it. That’s the most important thing above all else.

30. The guy will never be a reliable employee. It’s a shame that addiction issues and potential mental illness ruined what could have been a great career. Hopefully, he gets some help and lives a productive life outside of football. Hard to see him getting any more chances after the Pats gave him a lifeline.

31. vesh31 says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:05 am

Just sad you have it all and you throw it all away. I hope Josh finally gets the help he needs.
    ————————————————————————————————-

To some, having what he had wasn’t considered having it all. Like 3 weeks after you get a raise and you’re back complaining again at work. Was once told, money is a short term satisfier. He obviously doesn’t feel as if he has it all. Football isn’t everything for these guys.

32. Please tell me what the NFLPA does. Every day I’m seeing what they don’t do. Are the players paying for the non-service? Once again I ask, why are the leaders of the Players Association off limits to media criticism?

33. Rob4Rams says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:23 am
    Looks like the Browns fleeced the Patriots…..
    ——
    Not really. His production was worth the trade back from 5 to 7.

34. None of us knows what exactly is going on with Gordon. Maybe he relapsed, maybe he didn’t. Whatever it is, you can’t do anything successfully if your mind isn’t right. Good for him for reaching out for help again, if that’s what he’s doing. The Patriots knew he was a risk, and now they are paying for it…at the worst possible time. One guy doesn’t make a whole team, though. They will have to figure it out. We’ll have to wait and see.

35. I told everyone the Pats were making a mistake because you can NEVER, NEVER count on an addict until they have many, many years of sobriety and all you guys laughed at me. I thought Josh would have enough will power to at least make it through this year but I was wrong.

36. The mind is a fragile thing. We assume our sports heros are as strong inside as they are outside, but that’s obviously not necessarily the case. It seems Josh has figured out that when he needs help, he has to get it. God bless him as he keeps working at it. Peace to your house, Mr. Gordon.

37. Here is another perspective. I don’t know what’s in his head, but what if this isn’t sad? What if this makes him happy? What if he finally realized that he hates football and the money is not worth it and he just wants to move on? He thought that being on a winning team with a playoff run in a contract year would make him like it better…but he just realized that he hates it.

People retire from football with gas left for health reasons all the time. I hope he’s one of those guys.

38. So long as you know he’s a part time employee you’re good…but for nfl standards where mini seconds matter and practice time crucial.
    He’s letting that team down big time…but that’s who he’s been if we’re honestly talking.

39. rideforjesus says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:32 am

jbindm says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:10 am

revren10 says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:07 am

——————————————————————————————————–

sweet so he caught 3 touchdowns and you still lost a fifth rounder for a 7th, yeah such a great trade for a team. Cleveland scammed the pats , not to mention the draft pick they lost for danny Shelton.

40. Cleveland fan here. This seemed inevitable as soon as I saw those puff pieces a few weeks back with all those positive quotes from Josh Gordon. While the national media swooned at how the the Pats had turned around, Browns fans knew his days were numbered. We saw the same things in Cleveland several times — practicably the same exact quotes from Gordon too — and it always preceded Gordon stepping away or being suspended again.

41. If this is over MJ, again, how stupid are these rules? And don’t give me “he knew the rules and broke them. Some rules/laws are just bad and need to be changed. I think some of you would be surprised at some laws local municipalities have. And these are laws we all break every day. Just because it’s a law, doesn’t mean it’s just, or even apt.

If this failed test is true and it’s from MJ use, he doesn’t need “help”. It’s MJ. MJ doesn’t prevent an athlete from training and is actually very useful for both physical and mental recovery.

The NFL needs to change these rules NOW.

42. Haven’t there been media reports of an impending suspension since before the season started? I think this falls into the “educated guess” category. Like when Ricky Williams retired.

People use/abuse drugs for lots of reasons, but many are rooted in unaddressed mental health problems. Stepping back from football may or may not help him, but I wish him luck.

43. @kevpft “Why not help someone heal and get to a better place without the constant threat of “your career is over if you mess up once?” It’s arbitrary and idiotic.”

Obviously, he’s messed up more than once. First, doesn’t an employer get to count on an employee to put himself in position to perform his best?

Second, isn’t one of the fundamental tenets of recovery accountability?

As far as banishment goes … sure, banishment from the team facility is probably counterproductive to that player, but how would his presence affect the rest of the team? Here’s a guy hanging around that can’t practice, isn’t physically hurt … I’m not saying it would be negative, I just don’t know if it would be or not. I guess they could leave it up to the team and each individual case would be different.

44. I have a couple of family members that have dealt with addiction and behavior issues. One turned their life around and is an excellent example and role model on how to overcome this. The other member hasn’t got and we’ve had to cut that person out of our lives.
    Some people just never figure it out.

45. And I’m sorry this is obviously personal to me. As I read through the comments people talk about personal accountability. Mental illness doesn’t always allow for personal accountability. Little less judgment, little more compassion. It’s. A. Game. #nostigma

46. Sad, he doesn’t seem like a bad guy, just incredibly stupid. I don’t know how many times I’ve posted I hope he gets help so at this point, I don’t know what there is to help him. From a human standpoint, the NFL shouldn’t just throw him away but at the same time, I don’t know if he deserves another chance to be on an active roster.

47. The production(720 yrds, 3 TDs) and just taking the shot were worth the pick at the end of the 5th rnd. They don’t get the Browns 7th. That was a conditional if JGordon wasn’t active for 10 gms, which he was. To say that Dorsett can replace Gordon is ridiculous. Not even close. But, with Burkhead back and more production from Patterson, Gordon, White and Gronk, they should be ok offensively. Brady needs to play better. They’re not going anywhere this year anyway.

48. The heck with football. I just want Josh Gordon to get the help he needs and not end up as another statistic or sad story.

49. I hope this comes out right.

If you you desire to play in the NFL, make millions that secure you financially for life, then you need to be at the top of every category in order to survive. Top of the talent tier, character tier and dedication tier. The NFL is not the place to live out a life of drama. It’s the NFL, and football is a team sport. Once again, Josh Gordon has let another team down. I feel bad for Josh, but (love ’em or hate ’em) you have to feel bad for the Patriots. Twenty five weeks a year (half a year) you are hired to do one thing. Be the best at playing the game of football. Better than the guys who got cut in Training Camp. Better than your opponent. But you have to be the best at “life” first. Otherwise, your life will fall down around you.

50. Easy to deride the guy…But WE and I do mean WE as a whole….need to pray for him…I challenge everyone here to stop being a comedian and actually pray for and support Josh. Not a Browns or Patriots fan, but I would say the same even if he was on one of the other 30 teams.

51. elmerbrownelmerbrown says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:27 am

=======================================

Uh, what is your supporting evidence? By all news reports, Gordon had every resource available to him. And by resources I mean professionals whose job it is to handle mental health and chemical dependence issues. Why is that “pompous” and “selfish”? What would you rather, that he not have a job at all? It was heading that way with the Browns which is why he was available. Its in the best interest of the Pats (or any team he’s on)that he is as healthy as he can be. If Josh didn’t want to play this year, he could have done so. The Browns and Pats didn’t force him to do anything. Its weird that you think a team offering an opportunity to play in the NFL is somehow a “selfish” move.

52. “Patriots, watch the media give them credit for trying. All other teams would get railed on”
    __________________

What would any team get railed on for about this? The media LOVES second chances so they’d have had no issues with this no matter what team it was. Must be a sad existence to have your hatred of a single team totally alter your perceptions of everything.

53. If this were a player from another team, NE fans wouldn’t be wishing him well, you can bet on that.

54. Whether he’s facing a substance abuse suspension or not, he’s making the right decision to focus on his mental health. He’s at the point where he needs serious inpatient care, I would think. I just hope he can have healthy and fulfilling life someday.

55. orndorf2 says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:16 am

============\

Irrefutably false. Belichick wins more of these trades than anyone in NFL history and he does so by rarely giving up anything too valuable. Admittedly Belichick’s draft record is much more uneven. But again, even with this trade, the Pats won. The got a clear WR1 who led the team in rec yds for 11 games at the cost of only 2 rounds in the draft. That’s not a loss of trade, especially in the NFL when teams ratings on college players vary wildly especially after the first 2 rounds. Pats will likely still get the player they wanted in the 5th when they draft in the 6th.

56. I feel bad for this guy, he has shown that he can be such a weapon. No reasonable person would choose to self-sabotage again and again and again, which only proves he has a serious problem. He’s done in the NFL for good now, sometimes people can never correct it. I hope he can.

57. For all intensive purposes his career is pretty much over because he cant let go of the alcohol and weed. If the Patriots couldn’t help him I don’t see what team can. Like Martavis Bryant the guy has a million dollar talent but a one cent head.

58. kevpft says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:21 am

=============================================================
    =============================================================

I see what you’re saying…but it IS about the fact that ‘those are the rules/laws.’

Gordon has received multiple chances and again and again has failed to comply in one way or another.

On a human level of course I feel for him and sincerely hope he gets every possible bit of the help he needs and clearly wants to live a healthy, fulfilling life…but from an NFL/Employer standpoint…this is exceedingly simple. He broke the rules…again…and there are consequences for that.

59. revren10 says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:50 am

rideforjesus says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:32 am

jbindm says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:10 am

revren10 says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:07 am

——————————————————————————————————–

============================

Too bad Pats will still get the player they want in the sixth round that they would have got in the 5th. Or they’ll makes more picks trades which is common of them. NFL draft grades vary wildly from team to team. Pats still won this trade. They went 8-3 in the JG era and should have been 9-2 if they didn’t screw up the Miami game. 100% worth it. Fact.

60. steelerfanjo says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:07 am

Clearly the salt won’t dissolve until the Stealers beat NE more than once every 5 years or so. I should forgive you, probably still recovering from winning the Super Bowl last week.

61. He is either mentally unstable, a bonafide addict or both. Neither makes for a reliable football player/employee. I guess we will all wait with bated breath as this clown receives yet another chance because he can play football for a few weeks at a time.

62. “I will be stepping away from football for a bit” = “I will never play in the NFL again, but that’s ok with me”

63. I remember when the Patriots signed him saying that it was a matter of “when”, not “if” he gets suspended again. All the delusional Patriots fans down-voted my comments because that would NEVER happen with the almighty Patriots. Now that it has become a reality I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Patriots cut him. He may have played his last down in the NFL.

64. I was really hopeful when he got traded that he’d be able to sort out his life. The Patriots organization is usually the best at providing the proper structure and support to help players violate league rules without getting caught.

65. Was worth a shot to try and help the team and the guy by signing him….seems like a good dude and a great football player. That said he should drop football and get all the help he needs. Dudes gotta hit rock bottom and want to help himself,…..seems he’s not there yet?? Hope for him he finally finds peace.

66. kevpft says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:21 am

————————-
    well said

67. The production(720 yrds, 3 TDs) and just taking the shot were worth the pick at the end of the 5th rnd. They don’t get the Browns 7th. That was a conditional if JGordon wasn’t active for 10 gms, which he was.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wrong. They got rid of the condition before the trade was finalized. They get the 7th back even though he played in 10 games.

68. This must sting for TB12. The guy supposedly was helping him along, but you can’t help someone that doesn’t want to be helped.
    The Patriots should have never been in this position to take him because of the evaluation of the WR position in the offseason. We had Cooks, even if we weren’t gonna pay him, he still was under contract. This needs to be fixed, as the have not been strong at WR for awhile.

69. Chill_Donahue says:

December 20, 2018 at 11:36 am

revren10 says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:50 am

rideforjesus says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:32 am

jbindm says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:10 am

revren10 says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:07 am

——————————————————————————————————–

============================

They still won the trade hahahahahaha, the player is gone and they didn’t get a sixth they received a 7th and gave the browns a fifth. They lost this trade Fact.

70. So he was about to be suspended again so to save face he just says I’m stepping away… ok, got it.

71. There are a lot of troubled souls in this world, and most of those aren’t in the public eye. A little compassion will go along way to helping these folks. Many who need help are afraid to come forward to get help, because they are perceived as being weak. I hope that Josh and everyone who needs help, gets the help they need.

72. Gordon “steps away” or is forced to leave the NFL??
    Hmmm
    If he truly wanted to “step away”, he would have weeks ago, months ago

The league obviously told Gordon he was gonna be suspended indefinitely, so Gordon “left” on his own to keep a shred of credibility

73. Many people have a hard time understanding addiction as an illness or mental health issue. For people with addiction problems they’re not making logical, rational choices about their behavior and their behavior is often self-destructive.

Gordon seems to have the world at his doorstep, but he’s not waking up in the morning and saying to himself “I’m gonna really throw my NFL career away today!”

I hope he gets the help he needs and ultimately finds peace. If he can get his act together it would be great to see him find some redemption in advising NFL rookies about the dangers they face, keeping their short careers on track and getting help if they need it.

74. IF this is truly a failed test then that is really too bad. You’d hope someone could get to this guy, before it goes really south.

Go 2019 Pats!!! Hopefully BB stops playing nobody guru and bolsters the squad. The O line is suspect, the defense is slow and porous, Edelman lost half a step, Gronk may be done, there are no other receivers, the back field can’t pound the line which allows teams to concentrate on Brady alone.

But hey, that is all that is wrong! lol

75. reif99 says:
    December 20, 2018 at 11:06 am

=========

You’re right, and there are many things about this we don’t know. I was talking about league punishment. If a team and player can’t and don’t want to work together, it’s one thing. But league punishment, 9 times out of 10, is much more about PR than it is about helping anyone.

I think the goal should be helping people function and become healthy and productive. That path looks very different for different people, and different teams would have very different approaches & tolerances. But league “justice” is mostly stupid and pointless.

76. If it’s weed, then it’s the NFL that is at fault here. Just legalize it already. It doesn’t affect performance in any way. Make it the same as alcohol: obviously you can’t show up to work wasted, but what you do on days off shouldn’t matter.

77. kevpft says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:21 am

That’s not how the world works. I hope Josh gets the help he needs, but imagine if you had to take two leaves of absence from your job in a calendar year. You’d be gone. I own my own business and haven’t taken a day off in 18 months. Now unless he was very smart with his money, he is going to have to find work at some point in the near future, who is going to hire a guy that keeps taking time off for mental health? His NFL career is likely over, but if Josh came to me asking for a job tomorrow he would get a big NO. At some point in his life he is going to have to make a decision, either reach deep down inside and do whatever it takes to get well or continue on his current path, which will end in tragedy, guaranteed.

78. stop feeling sorry for this idiot, cant stop partying and throwing away millions of dollars. his choice nobody else’s

79. revren10 says:

============================

I didn’t say they received a 6th. I said the player they would have got in the 5th likely will still be there in the 6th, a pick the Pats still own. Pats often don’t draft the players experts project them to pick and college player rankings vary wildly between teams especially after first couple of rounds. It was low risk move and Pats got 11 games of a WR1. That’s still a win.

80. Wisconsin77 says:
    December 20, 2018 at 10:50 am
    I think it is a disservice to all of those with real mental health problems when somebody uses it to excuse their drug addiction.

—————–

PFT Comment of the Month winner.

81. tedmurph says:

December 20, 2018 at 1:00 pm

Thw Pats will NOT be getting a 7th from Cleveland. I guarantee it.
    ==============================

Because they will trade it before they pick? The Browns 7th to the Pats was part of the trade.

82. elmerbrownelmerbrown says:

December 20, 2018 at 10:27 am

_______________________________________________

Please don’t blame the Patriots for this. Gordon had all of that time that he was suspended to get help. If anything, the Pats put him in the best situation possible to succeed after Cleveland finally dumped him. No other team would touch him. A lot of addicts do not handle success well. The pull of their drug of choice is too strong, no matter how good their situation is when they get clean and sober. Gordon may take years, or he may never conquer his demons. Bottom line, it’s nobody’s fault. It is what it is.

83. Just legalize marijuana seriously,their allowed to suck down opioides and other pain killer which are actually additive but weed is where they draw the line, pfff, first Ricky Williams loses a Hall of Fame career over it and now another talented player Josh Gordon. Yeah he should’ve just waited to blaze until the offseason but it’s really pathetic grass is what tossed his ass from the NFL.

84. Sure, its cheating Pats, but what he did to his team, is horrible. What timing to pull the ” mental card”. SMH, hope he doesnt step a foot on the field ever again, evidently, he doesnt either,

85. What a horrible thing is happening to the young man. He is, in essence, being forced out of s very lucrative career, in which he has elite talent, over anti-anxiety meds. Weed is very effective at helping with anxiety. After a severe concussion, I had horrible anxiety for 6-9 months. At least my evenings got smoothed out by the evil weed. And what the HELL is the harm here?! Seriously? Time for this society to GROW THE F UP!

86. I have a nickname for this. ” New notebook syndrome ” Your first page is neat and tidy the best handwriting you can muster but after that first page you get back to your normal self. But that’s not say you can’t get better, just takes a lot of work if you really want to.

87. Chill_Donahue says:

December 20, 2018 at 1:34 pm

revren10 says:

============================

The patriots don’t own a 6th in 2019 they traded it for Jason Mccourty, that’s why they had to trade a 5th which turned into 11 games which is still a loss since they no longer have the player. So in the end the Browns won and the Patriots loss

88. As a Miami fan I really hate to see this happen. He is a great player that has fallen to the evil addiction. Hope he gets well and then maybe resume some sort of playing career. Sad news for the guy.

89. revren10 says:

December 20, 2018 at 2:19 pm

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Chill_Donahue says:

December 20, 2018 at 1:34 pm

revren10 says:

============================

The patriots don’t own a 6th in 2019 they traded it for Johnson Bademosi , that’s why they had to trade a 5th which turned into 11 games which is still a loss since they no longer have the player. So in the end the Browns won and the Patriots loss

90. Relapse! Dang! It’s too bad the wacky weed controls your life when you are addicted. He obviously can’t function in normal society!

91. I don’t feel sorry for Josh Gordon. He’s had more opportunity than 99.9999% of the planet.

92. Also the Browns picked up Genard Avery last year in the 5th. Avery for Gordon? All day and twice on Sundays. Dorsey was right again on this move.

93. December 20, 2018 at 2:21 pm

revren10 says:

========================

Not only do the Pats have a 6th round pick (from losing Dion Lewis), they have quite a few other, earlier round picks in 2019. They were dealing for Gordon from a position of strength. And they can easily trade back into the 5th round if they really wanted to. And again, 11 games of WR1 production was well worth, especially considering how many other picks they have this coming draft. Wish he stuck around longer but he led an 8-3 team in receiving during that stretch. That’s worth it.

Pats 2019 draft picks per round:
    First – 1
    Second – 2 (1 from the Bears)
    Third – 2, possibly 3 (1 from Lions and 2 compensatory)
    Fourth – 1
    Fifth – 0
    Sixth – 1 (1 compensatory)
    Seventh – 3 (1 from Eagles, 1 compensatory)

94. It’s sad for him to still be struggling.

It’s also sad to see right in this thread all the lack of sympathy for him and people more interested in venting their hatred for the Patriots than providing their insights on Josh Gordon’s struggles.

Josh Gordon has a big problem. Those commenters are also not without issues.

95. Chill_Donahue says:

December 21, 2018 at 10:32 am

December 20, 2018 at 2:21 pm

revren10 says:

========================

Pats 2019 draft picks per round:
    First – 1
    Second – 2 (1 from the Bears)
    Third – 2, possibly 3 (1 from Lions and 2 compensatory)
    Fourth – 1
    Fifth – 0
    Sixth – 1 (1 compensatory)
    Seventh – 3 (1 from Eagles, 1 compensatory)

projected comps doesn’t mean they actually have those picks, so once again the pats still don’t have a 6th round pick

96. Projected comp picks are based on a teams free agent gains/losses and the salaries they sign for. Pats are very likely to have a 6th from the Dion Lewis loss. And they will have lots of other early picks. Indisputable that they deal from a position of strength and got WR1 production from a position they needed. That’s a win.

97. Chill_Donahue says:

December 25, 2018 at 2:46 pm

They still don’t have a 6th since they may only receive a 7th for lewis and they didn’t win the trade the player is no longer on the team. It is a loss

98. I missed the part where you proved they aren’t getting a 6th for Lewis and even beyond that, where you proved that getting a WR1 for a mid round pick in a draft where they will have a LOT of picks is somehow “losing” a trade. Pats are heading toward a first round bye with a big help from the Gordon trade. And they’ll have plenty of picks next year to restock the team or to make other trades. Fact.

99. Chill_Donahue says:

December 27, 2018 at 9:50 am

100. where is the proof they are getting a 6th for lewis? Gordon isn’t the reason they play in the afc east, so once again you traded a pick for 11 games have a huge hole at receiver and lost the trade now those are facts.

====================

Based on the Pats overall free agent losses (Solder, Butler, Lewis et al.), Lewis’ salary and his snap count, its been reported as a likely 6th rd comp pick. If they didn’t make the trade, they would have been a worse team during that stretch. And trading for Tate or Cooper would have cost both a higher pick and a lot more money to keep them beyond this year. And Gordon was better than Tate was for the Eagles. And not trading for Gordon could have wasted another year of the end of Brady’s career. And hardly see what the AFC east has to do with it (Brady era Pats have almost the same winning pct in and out of division in his career). Saying they “lost the trade now those are facts” is still an unsupported premise. Hardly a “fact”. They gave up a draft pick, something they have in abundance next draft, for good receiver production. That is a fact.

101. Chill_Donahue says:

December 27, 2018 at 3:20 pm

====================

A likely 6th still doesn’t guarantee its a 6th and trading for tate or cooper would have been better since they are still in the league and playing on the teams that traded for them. They have a huge hole at receiver and lost the trade that is a fact.

102. Yea Cooper and Tate were way more expensive in terms of picks and money… that is a fact, unlike your unsupported premise. Tate was worse AND cost a 3rd rdr, and is a free agent in March and will be expensive and the Eagles aren’t playing again after Monday. That, now that is a lost trade. Cooper, eh, he’s very hot and cold and he’s getting 13mil next year and then will cost even more after that. He’s good but not worth top tier WR money.

103. Chill_Donahue says:
    December 27, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Gordon isn’t playing either the rest of the season so that is a lost trade and who knows how Tate would’ve played on the pats, but If the pats would’ve traded for him he would still be on the team. So once again the pats lost the trade and that is a fact

104. So once again the pats lost the trade and that is a fact

=====================

Tate was a dud that cost a 3rd rounder and is a free agent after this season. Eagles lost that trade. Demaryius Thomas was a dud and is out for the year. He also cost a 4th rounder and has a 14mil cap hit next year and is free agent after that. Texans lost that trade. Amari Cooper was good but very inconsistent this year and cost a 1st rounder and is owed 13.9 mil next year and will likely get an expensive extension after that. Cowboys probably won that one, but it was and will be really expensive. Gordon trade was much more economically sound as far as assets given up (Pats dealt from a position of draft strength) and cap space. A 5th rounder for 11 games of a WR1 that only cost 604K in salary is not a lost trade. Gordon trade was the most sensible of the 4 major WR trades made this season. Irrefutably so.

105. Golden Tate just won the eagles a playoff game. Gordon is out of the league. The patriots lost the trade and that is a fact. Position of draft strength they had to give up a 5th they didn’t have a 6th. They got fleeced and look like fools

106. Pats still got a 7th rounder back from Cleveland. You keep leaving that out. And Pats got 11 games of a WR1. Tate is paid a lot more than Gordon, was more expensive in assets given up, and will be a free agent. And had a worse year for Philly than Gordon for Pats. And here’s what the Pats updated projected draft picks for next year come out to:

Round 1- Own
    Round 2- Own
    Round 2- Bears
    Round 3- Lions
    Round 3- Nate Solder comp
    Round 3- Malcolm Butler comp
    Round 4- Own
    Round 5- DLewis comp
    Round 7- Own
    Round 7- Eagles
    Round 7- Cameron Fleming comp
    Round 7- Josh Gordon trade

I guess you’re right, no 6th rounder. But oh, they now will have a 5th. Even more of a win of a trade for Pats.

107. Chill_Donahue says:

January 8, 2019 at 11:57 am

Round 1- Own
    Round 2- Own
    Round 2- Bears
    Round 3- Lions
    Round 3- Nate Solder comp
    Round 3- Malcolm Butler comp
    Round 4- Own
    Round 5- DLewis comp
    Round 7- Own
    Round 7- Eagles
    Round 7- Cameron Fleming comp
    Round 7- Josh Gordon trade

108. “They got a 5th for amendola not lewis so once again your facts are incorrect. They still lost the trade”

Still waiting for the evidence that supports that they “lost” the trade. They traded from a position of strength and it only cost them 2 rounds in the mid to late draft and they got 11 games of an inexpensive WR1 that helped them get a first round bye. Far and away the most economical WR1 trade this year both in cap space and assets given up. No evidence disputes this.

How again does trading down 2 rounds in a draft where they have a boatload of picks for a position of need a “lost” trade? They very likely won’t be making all those picks anyway and will trade more of them as they won’t have the roster spots for all of them. Pats didn’t get hurt at all asset-wise. Gordon was practically free in that light and he produced when he played. They got a first round bye with Gordon’s help and that extra week always helps a team with older stars like the Pats.

109. A Super Bowl win, 7 picks in first 4 rounds, 12 picks in first 7. Gordon helped them get a first round bye and it only took essentially trading back 2 rounds and very little salary pay out. Won trade.

Final Comp picks are in:

Round 4- Own
    Round 6- Danny Amendola comp
    Round 7- Own
    Round 7- Eagles
    Round 7- Cameron Fleming comp
    Round 7- Josh Gordon

Fixed the comp picks for you since your information was once again wrong and they don’t have a 5th. Brady had a better passing percentage once Gordon left the team. The players who were there all season are the reason they had a first round bye, not by someone who only had three touchdown catches. Lost Trade

111. “The players who were there all season are the reason they had a first round bye”

Compare Gronk to Gordon’s ’19 receiving production:

Gronk: 13 games, 47 rec, 682yds, 14.5 yd/rec, 3 TDs
    Gordon: 11 games, 40 rec, 720yds, 18.0 yd/rec, 3 TDs

And Edelman had ZERO playoff TDs.

And none of these guys played the full season. Guess none of them were relevant to Pats getting a first round bye, per your logic.

Yikes.

112. “Fixed the comp picks for you since your information was once again”

“They got a 5th for amendola not lewis so once again your facts are incorrect”

Looks like you’re correcting yourself.

113. Pats didn’t trade a pick for Gronk or Edelman and both actually played in playoffs and Super Bowl. Gordon was a lost trade thanks for playing you lost and that is a Fact.