NFL announces indefinite suspension for Josh Gordon

Getty Images

After Patriots wide receiver Josh Gordon announced on Thursday morning that he was stepping away from the Patriots, there was a report that Gordon was facing another suspension from the league for violating the substance-abuse policy.

The NFL made that suspension official later in the day.

“Effective today, Josh Gordon has been returned to the Reserve/Commissioner Suspended list indefinitely for violating the terms of his conditional reinstatement under the Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse,” the league said in a statement.

While the length of the suspension is indefinite, it will be for at least a year and that casts serious doubt about Gordon’s playing future. He has played just 17 games since the start of the 2015 season because of his repeated suspensions and his history is not one that any team is likely to bank on when it comes to filling out a roster in the future.

131 responses to “NFL announces indefinite suspension for Josh Gordon

1. If Gordon could just stop smoking weed that hurts no one and just beat his girlfriend once or twice a year he would be able to play….

2. This guy has far more troubles than he can deal with. Let’s all hope he can beat down his demons before it’s too late.
    I have seen far too many people that I knew personally lose the battle with drugs and alcohol. So I really feel bad for his family. Because they are the ones who really suffer.

3. Such a shame. Hopefully he gets his life straight. Addiction can be beat if you want to beat it. He has to want it bad enough.
    Great talent, not so great willpower.

4. very sad…demons can get the best of you at times…hope he can get help and get his life in order

5. That’s a shame he worked so hard in New England and was doing very well. Sometimes the pressure of the spotlight is too much for some people

6. Sad.

Not sad that he did it. Sad that the employer has a problem with someone using a safe and effective non-narcotic to to control pain caused by their job. I smoke pot everyday for pain, and I’m a residential contractor. Never been tackled in my life.

7. He must be a real mess if the Gods cant fix him. I hope he gets the help he needs but I am glad it hurts the Cheats. A little karma to sprinkle with your Christmas cheer.

8. The lack of charitable emotions at this time of year should be shocking, but it ain’t. I read on a sign in a church basement once, there but for the grace……..

9. So you traded a fifth round pick for 11 games what a waste. Hopefully with the four picks in the first three rounds they have in the upcoming draft they take a receiver who’s not a mental case along with a tight end, linebacker, and a d-lineman who can get to the QB.

10. Not good news. I had high hopes that this time, in the very structured Patriots organization, he would be able to stay clean. I hope he somehow gets past all his troubles one day.

The Patriots will be fine without him, they always find a way. But football is of secondary importance in this story.

11. If his ONLY discretion is smoking pot than he’s getting the short end of the stick. It’s the END of 2018 and at least 6 ststes have new pot laws saying its ok..not to mention the 50 or so POT stocks currently trading on Wall Steet.

12. Has there been a White player busted for this violation this year? I can’t remember one? I don’t want to turn this into a race thing. I just cannot think of one. I am asking the knowledge base out there to help me. I am sure there is but I can’t remember who.

13. “He has played just 17 games since the start of the 2015 season… ”

How can he afford all that weed without a regular paycheck?

14. No jabs at the team or the player, I feel nothing but pity for Josh Gordon at this point. It’s a shame that he just can’t turn his life around once and for all. I fear what could happen to him once football is no longer an option for him.

15. How about the NFL just wipe marijuana off their drugs of abuse list. Not an excuse but they need to get with the times weed is legal in 10 states plus DC. It is only a matter of time anyways, why not get in front of this one and stop ruining these young men’s lives over this

16. I guess marijuana, if thats what he failed for, actually can be addictive. If its not addictive then he’s a dope.

17. “If Gordon could just stop smoking weed that hurts no one and just beat his girlfriend once or twice a year he would be able to play….”

It wasn’t just weed, he did weed coke, had a serious Xanax addiction, as well as Methazine. But your point does still hold true.

18. kingthielanscourt says:
    “..Has there been a White player busted for this violation this year? I can’t remember one? I don’t want to turn this into a race thing…”

Uh, you just did.

19. Indefinite suspension for weed, NFL covers it up for beating your girlfriend or wife. Makes perfect sense right?

#FireGoodell

20. Come on NFL. Really???? Look at the guy, he’s in terrific shape. If you’re gonna kill this guy for a drug thats now legal in the state he plays, you got priorities wrong.

21. I often wonder if the people who negotiated the CBA giving Goodell the power to ruin players’ careers for recreational and/or therapeutic drug use could have passed a drug test themselves during the negotiations…

22. Coming from a Browns fan. I am praying for this young man. It’s not about weed. It’s about a disease. Get better Josh! Also the 5th rnd pick wasn’t conditional. The trade was Gordon and an 7th for the Pat’s 5th.

23. It’s now official. The shoe Trey Flowers ripped off Steven Ridley while trying to tackle him, that he subsequently heaved downfield after the play was over, has been measured. It was longer than Gordon’s career with the Patriots.

24. Not feeling sorry for this guy in the least. There are WAY too many people in far worse circumstances that I’ll reserve my sympathies for. Demons or not, he has had more than ample support, services, opportunities, and advantages to get the help he needs at any time in the last five years.

And he probably won’t hit rock bottom until he smokes through all his NFL money, if he hasn’t done so already.

25. It’s hard to feel sorry for people who are their own worst enemy, choosing drugs over a paycheck most of us only dream of seeing, is extremely pathetic, he’ll be homeless and in and out of prison in no time. The one question he should never ask is why.

26. Lots of funny people here. The man suffers from a disease and it has cost him everything. I’m not laughing.
    +++++++++++

Ummmmm, doing drugs is not a disease. It amazes me the stupid excuses people have for doing drugs. C’mon people. Doing drugs is a choice.

27. If you can smoke weed and still play at an NFL-caliber level, I say they should be able to be Tommy Chong if they want.

28. Josh has always been well liked everywhere he played. He is good guy. And he has character. His college receiver coach entrusted Josh to babysit his kids, which speaks volumes about Josh as a person. But, sadly, he suffers from a terrible addiction which has cost him dearly. My hope is that he gets the treatment he needs to get well. In the meantime, the NFL has to figure why women abusers can play in the league while pot smokers can’t.

29. unclebluck says:

If Gordon could just stop smoking weed that hurts no one
    =================================================

As if you know what he’s been using.

30. nickinneohio says:
    December 20, 2018 at 2:53 pm
    I believe the Browns lose the conditional draft pick obtained in the trade. No?
    ———————
    No. Final details of the deal below.
    Ian Rapoport:
    The Patriots received Gordon and a seventh-round 2019 NFL Draft pick from the Cleveland Browns in exchange for a 2019 fifth-round pick, NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport reported Thursday. Rapoport also confirmed colleague Tom Pelissero’s report that the delay in the deal involved a change in its terms: The seventh-round pick initially was conditional on Gordon playing fewer than 10 games, but “those conditions have gone away,” per Rapoport.

31. It doesn’t matter about your opinion on how safe weed is. I get it, weeds great totally fine with me. HOWEVER the player’s union agreed to the terms of the CBA so if he wants to make the cash he has to chill. Plain and simple. Can’t own a motorcycle or ATV either based on his contract. This dude clearly can’t abide by the terms of his collectively bargained contract. Period

32. superpatriotsfan says:
    December 20, 2018 at 3:18 pm
    😭😭😭😭
    —-
    Sounds about right. 🙂

33. kingthielanscourt says:
    December 20, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Then it probably wasn’t the best move to bring it up? Who knows? Maybe black players aren’t as discreet? Maybe because there are fewer white players (about 500 out of nearly 1700)? After moving from the racially diverse city where I was born I moved to a nearly all white town and found that stupid white people get busted more than smart white people. Then it hit me, my stupid black friends from the old neighborhood got busted and the smart ones didn’t. But I’m sure the answer will vary by respondent.

34. I hope it was just weed… Obviously, using his God-given football skills does not trump whatever it is that he’s hooked on. It’s really sad and a complete waste. He was in a situation a lot of guys in the NFL would love to be in, and he couldn’t hold it together. Addiction is the worst.

35. TMolney says:
    December 20, 2018 at 3:18 pm
    +++++++++++

You can continue to be an ostrich if you CHOOSE, but a whole boatload of medical experts disagree. You perfect folks are really something.

36. Such is the vicious cycle of addiction. Good luck to him.

On another note, there are quite a few posters on these boards who seem to be Professional Patriot Haters. You folks might also want to seek counselling. Really.

37. Mental illness can affect anyone. No one chooses it, and it profoundly affects the choices a person makes. I hope he gets top-notch help.

38. internetcommenter7 says:
    December 20, 2018 at 2:58 pm

————-

It’s a “disease” that he brought on to himself 100 percent. I think it’s hilarious.

39. Its ridiculous to assume that he’s only being popped for weed… weed doesn’t have that strong a hold over peoe… no, me thinks this is definately something other than weed

40. He’s probably played his last game in the NFL. My guess is that the years of using drugs have become a part of who he is. I hated for the Browns to trade him but they Like New England (I imagine) did all they could for him. It’s the decisions he must make for himself that will determine the rest of his life.

41. el zilcho says:
    How about the NFL just wipe marijuana off their drugs of abuse list. Not an excuse but they need to get with the times weed is legal in 10 states plus DC. . . . stop ruining these young men’s lives over this
    ==

Yes, it is an excuse.
    First, the Supreme Court has already ruled that a business can prohibit its employees from using marijuana, even in states where it is legal, and many do. Moot point.
    Second, it doesn’t matter a hill of beans what anyone THINKS about weed. The NFL has chosen to ban it, as is its right. The NFPLA, which represents the players, agreed to testing and punishment in the CBA. Josh Gordon and every other player in the league agrees to follow all NFL rules and conditions when they sign a contract and start cashing paychecks.
    No, my friend, the NFL didn’t ruin anyone’s life. If Mr. Gordon’s life is ruined — IF it’s ruined — he did that all by himself.

42. NE fans sure aren’t this sympathetic when it happens to a player on an opposing team. Quite the opposite, actually.

43. Some in the Cleveland sports media have alluded to the fact that Gordon’s issues go much deeper than simple pot smoking. Harder drugs, gang-involvement, etc. It’s too bad. Before this year, after Joe Thomas, Gordon was probably the most talented player on a Browns roster since their return in 1999. Maybe it’s not saying much, but he was special. His consecutive games of 200 receiving yards remains a record that has never been done before or since. In 2013, he averaged the third highest receiving yards per game in NFL history. It was higher than Randy Moss or Jerry Rice ever did in any one season. And Gordon was catching passes from the likes of Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell! What could he have done with a real QB! Maybe Hall-of-Fame level talent… It’s really too bad.

44. realityonetwo says:
    December 20, 2018 at 3:35 pm
    internetcommenter7 says:
    December 20, 2018 at 2:58 pm

————-

Nice. If you ever find yourself in a pickle 100% of your own brewing I hope others are more charitable. Merry Christmas.

45. Said it in an earlier post. He isn’t coming back. But he shouldn’t either. Generational talent with a multi-generational problem. I just hope the guy gets well. Unfortunately some forms of mental illness – and that is what I think it is – don’t get cured. They just get treated. Good luck my brother.

46. realityonetwo says:
    ——

Are you 14? It’s not hilarious.

To think he has control over it or is necessarily just a stupid person is wrong. I have a brilliant friend with a PhD in chemistry, had a wife, great career, family, then addiction took hold and in two years he lost everything. No job, house, car, marriage,no custody. He’s homeless and begs on the streets. Shelters turn him away because he goes back to drug use. Do you think he wants to?

Do you think his story is funny too?

47. TMolney says:
    December 20, 2018 at 3:18 pm
    +++++++++++

Comment is supremely ignorant. There is no sane person that doesn’t understand that addiction is a disease. There is no sane person that doesn’t understand that the cause of that addiction can com from several sources. A person with mental illness may self-medicated. Sorry that is not an intellectual choice. It is something that happens because of the underlying illness.

48. I love how people automatically assume it is because he smoked weed. He could have, definitely, but I’m pretty sure if he missed a drug test or consumed alcohol, he would be in the same boat as smoking weed.

I really hope for his sake he can turn his life around and not go down a deep and dark path.

49. Read between the lines people, just a little? Whether you’re for or against legalized weed and/or it being allowable for an NFL player to smoke weed, this one is NOT about that.

It seems like the pro-weed crew wants to highlight this as a player being denied his livelihood for doing something that’s allowable in many states. Josh is dealing with something (whether it’s his own doing or not…doesn’t really matter) that’s NOT weed, so stop trying to cast your own agenda into this story.

50. mickmars says:
    December 20, 2018 at 2:53 pm
    He should open a dispensary with Martavious Bryant and Randy Gregory.

================================

they would make a heck of a lot more money for a longer period of time and certainly would not have to work as hard or face as much scrutiny from basement dwellers.

51. And regardless what demons he’s facing, I wish him well. Dude gave us some fantastic memories in that one epic 14 game stretch in Cleveland.

52. And Gordon was catching passes from the likes of Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell! What could he have done with a real QB!

—-

He had a HOF QB this year and he did the same exact thing he always has: played well but ultimately got suspended because he couldn’t put down the pipe.

53. Everything I’ve ever read that was pro-weed was that it was not addictive. Now that it is legal, are people now suggesting that it is habit forming?

54. There are so many people posting how smoking weed doesn’t effect performance to justify it, etc. The simple fact it the employer (NFL) has a rule against it, PERIOD! It is a matter of respect, and in many cases breaking the law.

55. dregonspengler says:
    December 20, 2018 at 3:37 pm
    el zilcho says:
    ==

Yes, it is an excuse.

—————————–

youre spending time chastising somebody else for smoking weed. im sure youre perfect. thats why youre here at 337 pm and not out solving the world problems, that obviously only you seem to grasp. you seem to have the long sought after answer thaT everybodys been looking for. just quit drugs. wow. wish somebody had thought of that before. it must be so easy for everybody, thats why its such a widespread problem. apparently you dont pay attention to medical news bc if you did you would c that our trusted doctors were paid money to prescribe drugs to people that they know they cant get off without treatment. so those doctors can condescend others while playing golf. but im glad you finally taught us all the solution. just quit. how genius.

56. The reason they call addictions addictions is because the person will continue the destructive behavior irregardless the cost. We have to find a better solution for these kinds of things.

57. wafflestomp says:
    December 20, 2018 at 2:53 pm
    Wait………..I thought the Pat fans said everything was going to be different now that he was following the Patriot Way?
    =====================
    No they said for swapping late round picks it was worth the gamble.

58. I’m sorry (not sorry), but smoking weed is not a disease. It’s just not. A disease is the cancer that took my Dad way too soon. Choosing to roll up a joint and light it is a choice.

There’s a difference between addiction and disease.

59. WTH! Give this guy a break already! i want to know what exactly the “violation” was. probably something stupid. The league still just wants to prove they weren’t in the wrong for this circus show in the first place, which they are. Too bad the guy didn’t go beat a woman so he could have only gotten a 2 game suspension back in 2012 or 2011 or whenever.

60. & so ends the Josh Gordon experiment……
    You can’t help someone who doesn’t want it….. no matter how much you want to
    I don’t like the blame game or excuses…..I do like accountability for ones actions or lack there of….
    Whatever it is he’s suffering from or struggling with, he’s hurting more than just himself……not only the Patriots & Browns, there has to be ramifications for family members as well…..
    Making smart choices is easier said than done & if indeed he is dealing with true mental issues & not mental issues brought on by the use of outside stimulants then getting professional help is his most important priority…… once & IF his doctors get his diagnosis correctly figured out then hopefully LEGAL PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION along with continued monitoring & counseling he can get his PERSONAL LIFE on track & live a better overall life that does or doesn’t involve football…. Josh just has to want THAT more than anything else…..guess time will tell!!

61. He was so close to finally landing a free agent contract. Albeit one that would have serious limitations as far as guaranteed money. Guess its back to the car dealership for him. Its a shame he had tons of talent. The NFL let’s guys who beat their wives and kids bloody back in but if you smoke weed and get caught a few times your out…

62. Entitlement does not mean you can do anything you choose. We are not responsible for his actions. Only he can fix his problem.

63. Remember, he burned through two colleges before he even arrived in the NFL. This guy has had more chances & resources than anyone, but continues his self-destructive path. He’s doomed.

64. firerogergoodell says:
    December 20, 2018 at 2:54 pm
    Why are football players punished for smoking weed? Ridiculous.
    _____________________
    Until it’s not against the rules………it’s against the rules.
    He knows this.
    His own damn fault.
    Hopefully it’s for good this time so I can stop hearing about this loser.

65. wafflestomp says:
    December 20, 2018 at 2:53 pm

101 78 Rate This
    ———————

Umm, no one said that and no one even coined a term “Patriot Way”. It’s a media term.

Lastly, Pats fans simply said it is his best chance to make it, but clearly his issues go far deeper than just “smoking weed”.

66. The Pats are pretty much done this season. Just don’t see them going on the road and getting to Super Bowl. They have stockpiled draft picks and see them making one final push with Brady over the next two seasons to win another ring or at least get to the Super Bowl.

67. Patriots must have gotten the word at halftime last Sunday because dude was M-I-A during crucial moments in the second half.

68. Oh lets all pray for Josh! Whas wrong with you people? He has been given so many second chances that he throws away and you feel sorry for him? I don’t get it. Life ban from the League.

69. @dcharger123 says:
    If only he chose to run a dog fighting gambling operation rather than smoke weed, his playing career wouldn’t be in doubt.
    =======================================================================
    Vick spent 21 months in FEDERAL prison for killing dogs, which is 21 months more than any player accused/convicted/videotaped beating their spouse/side-peice/significant other. I know you’re trying to make a point, but don’t act as if Mike Vick didn’t get punished.

70. @Brobokil says:
    =====================================
    He’s had his break…multiple breaks in fact! He’s used up all of his breaks.

71. It’s not sad, it’s stupid the guy can’t stop smoking weed to make millions. Where I come from we call this person a loser.

72. How is it that most commenters think Gordon’s issue is with weed when there’s no confirmation of that?

73. “If Gordon could just stop smoking weed”

Gordon himself has admitted to having had issues with cocaine, codeine, Xanax and more. People are just assuming that the issue is weed since the NFL cannot disclose which drug he actually tested positive for.

74. Addiction is not a disease. If addiction is a disease then what is cancer. If it is a disease why can’t it be treated with drugs or cut out. To call it a disease is a new age twist of the definition to get it classified in certain ways for nefarious purposes.

75. Mental health seems to be addressed with fanfare when a test is failed or a car is wrecked. No one cared what Gordon was doing until 3 days ago. He can’t lay off the bottle or the doobie. Of course his announcement was made before the league suspended him for PR reasons. I grew up with multiple alcoholics in the family, you care because they’re family, but you tire of it because it affects everyone around them and the best you can get is an apology or “I’m trying”. I hope the guy gets help, but I don’t feel bad that a person takes it upon themselves to ingest addictive substances.

76. Unfortunately, recovery is not cookie-cutter, one-approach-fits-all.

Addiction can be traced, to, among other causalities, genetics. Subtle biochemistry.

What is another, equally troubling concern, is that so many are “blood and guts” morality warriors…when behavioral and other factors are still in their infancy in teasing out causes and cures for mental well being.

Reading these posts, many were actually pulling for Josh Gordon… and hopeful about the story of a talented person turning a corner.

There remains the possibility for well being with hard work, commitment.
    Good luck Josh.

77. Come on people it’s way way more than weed. I’m sure most of the people posting here have all smoked weed. Most of the world smokes weed and as we all know it is not addictive.

78. I was shocked another team, especially the Patriots, picked him up from waivers. He had a second bite at the apple and blew it. Not surprising.

79. TheGuru says:
    December 20, 2018 at 4:46 pm

———————
    I’m kind of wondering that myself.

80. Everyone keeps talking about weed but are forgetting an important part of Gordon’s story. Josh got a suspension for his DUI. Under the substance-abuse policy, he could still be forbidden to drink alcohol. It could have been as simple as a cold beer that sent him packing.

81. 1uniquemonique says:
    December 20, 2018 at 6:21 pm

————

They didn’t pick him up from waivers. They traded for him

82. None of us really know what happened, the assumption seems to be a positive test for THC, but there are numerous banned substances and a positive test is not the only way to get suspended if you are in stage 3 of the program.

Relapse is a part of recovery. If he did fail a test, he is a 27 year old in recovery who is tested 3 times per week and who failed a test for the first time in 3 years.

Relapse is a part of recovery IRL. In the NFL, though, I think he’s probably played his last down of football.

It seems like this saga has been going on forever, but in reality Gordon is still younger than Cris Carter was when he finally got straightened out for good, but a recovery success story like Cris Carter’s could never actually happen in Roger Goodell’s NFL.

83. firerogergoodell says:
    December 20, 2018 at 2:54 pm
    Why are football players punished for smoking weed? Ridiculous.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    No. What is ridiculous is anybody who doesn’t understand that a still illegal drug in most states is a banned substance and part of the rules that players do not use it.
    And for a guy given 7,396,890 more “chances” to continue making millions who can’t stop?

Now THAT is “ridiculous…”

84. This not complicated. Josh has some issues. They may be easy to spot, given his background, and he escapes their accumulation by smoking weed (I am making an assumption here, well-inferred, that the suspension was not for some other substance). I know for a fact that cannabis can help some people cope with tremendous pain, even dementia, so count me as very sympathetic to Josh reaching for his escape. It does not harm. So, why is the NFL killing his livelihood? It is not illegal where he resides, and that means a lot.

85. Yup, his previous statement about “stepping away from football” and mentioning mental illness was a big fat publicity stunt by his agent to gain sympathy so people could praise him for being mature. In fact, he’s merely been suspended and likely banned for life. I sincerely wish him the best if he’s truly sincere about beating addiction. If he’s not, and he’s just fleecing everyone with the help of his agent, then bye, Felicia.

86. Weed is NOT physically addictive. At some point people have to be accountable for their behavior. Refusing to accept basic rules of life is not a mental illness, it’s immaturity and self-indulgence. Just say you like weed more than football and stop BS everyone.

87. i just saw this. So sad. I hope he can mature and find God. It worked for Darryl Strawberry. He and his wife have now dedicated their lives to freeing other people from addiction. Josh’s life story can have a good ending.