Tom Brady reiterates that he’ll play in 2019

Getty Images

Father Time continues to gain on Tom Brady, but Tom Brady continues to be undeterred.

Brady recently told Jim Gray of Westwood One that Brady plans to play in 2019.

I absolutely believe I will,” Brady said, via Mike Reiss of ESPN.com. “I know I’ve talked about it for a long time: I have goals to not only play next year, but beyond that. I’m going to try to do it as best I possibly can. I’m going to give it everything I have, like I always have. . . . It will certainly be a challenge. I don’t take any of these things for granted, but I hope I can keep playing, and I hope I can keep playing at a championship level.”

Some would say he’s currently not playing at a championship level. Some believe he’s secretly injured. Which is a better explanation than the alternative possibility, that he’s healthy but just not good anymore.

Brady, who turns 42 in August, insists he’s fine.

“I’m feeling really good,” Brady said. “It’s been 15 weeks of football and there’s always bumps and bruises you deal with. But I’m feeling great for this time of year. I’ll take it every year to be feeling as good as I am at this time of the season.”

Brady has one year left on his contract with the Patriots. After trading Jimmy Garoppolo in 2017, the Patriots didn’t draft a developmental quarterback in 2018. With more and more great young quarterbacks popping up throughout the NFL, the Patriots need to get theirs — or risk finding themselves in a revolving door of journeymen and assorted slappies until they do.

82 responses to “Tom Brady reiterates that he’ll play in 2019

1. I think next year might be it. He’s been bad the last couple of weeks now. You would think he’d bounce back, but it just isn’t happening.

I’ll never pick against the Patriots in the playoffs, but if they lost to the Ravens by 30 I don’t think anyone would be shocked.

2. He has not looked great, no doubt about it, but maybe Rob Ninkovich is right. He’s preserving himself and his best for the playoffs… I hope that’s the case. They do need to draft and develop a quarterback, regardless. This can’t go on forever.

3. I hate to say it, but it’s time. Go out on top under your own free will instead of someone else telling you you’re not good enough. No one in the history of the game has done what you have, there’s nothing to prove anymore. Thanks for almost 2 decades of greatness.

4. He’s extremely limited at this point in his career. He cannot escape any pressure and immediately gives himself up when there’s a free rusher, which is a huge disadvantage in today’s NFL full of mobile QBs. When the protection is perfect, he is money. But that’s true for pretty much any QB.

All due respect, he is indisputably the GOAT. But this rate there’s no way he plays in 2020.

5. kevinlawrencecantor says:
    December 26, 2018 at 10:35 am

===================================

6. Next year will be his last. He’s still one of the top QB’s but not quite at the level he was even just recently. Father Time is starting to warm up his singing voice.

7. I am glad. I am not a Patriots fan but Tom Brady is good for the NFL, period. The guy is an incredible QB in spite of all his haters. No QB in history has played at his level for as long as he has. That is undeniable and all you haters of the man can choke on that.
    Patriots fans — I wouldn’t respond to all the haters if I were you. I am a Packers fan and we get ragged on all the time by haters, too. And they hate Aaron Rodgers as much as they hate Brady.
    But take comfort in knowing that the history books show just what Brady has done and no matter what they say, he will be a Hall Of Fame legend 5 years after he retires, just like Rodgers.
    The Packers are the greatest winners in NFL history because they have more championships than anyone. But the Patriots have been the great winners since Brady took over and are the best organization in the NFL now. It’s not even debatable.
    Have a Happy New Year everyone — even all you haters.

8. Why wouldn’t he? He can still win. Peyton won a Superbowl in his last year when he couldn’t throw the ball more than 20 yards. Now the Patriots defense is nowhere near what Denver’s was, but good decision-making and experience reading coverage can make up for a lot of physical shortcoming.

And does anyone honestly think the Patriots won’t easily win the AFC East next year?

9. REMEMBER WHEN: roger clemens and barry bonds left MLB?!?

The sport of baseball had it’s first breath of fresh air in years.

It will feel the same whenever tom brady retires.

10. Brady is indisputably the best QB of the cap era and arguably the best of the SB era. He has earned the right to go out on his own terms.

These comments should be entertaining to check back on in a few hours.

11. He’d be smart to retire after this season. Instead he will play, (badly), next season until the Hoodie trades him for a 2nd rounder at the trade deadline.

12. He’s going to play until he is literally a shell of himself on the field.
    He’s not been the same Brady this year and there is no chance he’s going to magically just improve next year. He’s had just an immensely successful run, but I feel like he’s going to go the Favre route and keep playing until people are laughing at him.

13. He’s hurt. Been saying it for weeks. Watch the Buffalo film pre-game when he comes out of the tunnel. He can barely jog and is favoring his left knee.

If Belichick is around next year (which I doubt) and he gets serious about surrounding him with talent and stops shopping at Stiffs R Us for Wideouts, He’ll have a monster year next season.

14. …and I’m sure BB will surround him with a bunch of cheap free agent/7th round nobodies for line help, rather than the blue chippers Brady needs to finish out his career in good health…

15. Brady is the greatest of all time. As a die hard Ravens fan maybe Brady could play for us next year if the Patriots want to move on from him.

Jackson really is no better than Tebow and Joe Flacco is nothing when the refs aren’t throwing flags. Throwing up a jump ball and hoping for a flag is neither skill nor talent. Brady even at 41 is better than either of them will ever be.

16. doctorrustbelt says:
    December 26, 2018 at 10:49 am
    REMEMBER WHEN: roger clemens and barry bonds left MLB?!?

The sport of baseball had it’s first breath of fresh air in years.

It will feel the same whenever tom brady retires.

That breath of which you speak, it’s a sigh of relief, that you now have a chance once Brady leaves.

And no one, except you, cares about baseball, especially during playoff season.

17. There’s less of a gap between good and great than some would have you believe. Here’s a clue, game of inches. Win or lose by one, or a fraction thereof. Same with players. The best needs only lose a tiny edge to no longer be so.

18. I’d like to see the Pats move on. (Nick Foles anyone?) Brady isn’t moving around the pocket or getting his feet set as well as he did as recently as last year. That said, many of Brady’s problems this year have to do with receivers who simply cannot get separation.

19. Everyone saying he’s done…. do you not realize the Pats are the 2 seed with an overall below average roster!? Tom clearly has some gas left in the tank.

20. “When I suck, I’ll retire,” Brady said Tuesday (9/2/2014) on WEEI-AM, via The Boston Globe. “But I don’t plan on sucking for a long time.”

21. History has shown that when old quarterbacks fade they tend to crash hard and fast. The two trains of thought currently with Brady are that either he is injured or starting to fade. If it’s the latter then it will certainly show up in the playoffs when the physicality of the game picks up.

If a team comes into Gillette in the playoffs and wins decisively, beating up Brady and the Pats, then we will soon have the answer on whether Brady plays again next year. But not until then…

22. What’s this Ravens/Patriots talk all about.
    There is still a Ravens/Browns game to be played.
    Don’t disrespect Mr. Mayfield.

23. thejetssuck2001 says:

“if the patriots went out and trounced the ravens by 30, i dont think that would shock anyone either.”
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Patriots facing the Ravens are a worse case scenario, with a high probability of 2009 upset repeat.

24. It is difficult to tell how much of recent struggles are due to Brady’s knee injury. The receivers aren’t helping him either. As many as good contested catches that Edelman makes he does drop some easy ones. Don’t know what is going on with Gronk and I think it is time for Jacob Hollister to step up.

The Pats would have a huge advantage if they get a bye, they played at Pitt on 12/16 and they would be at home for a month when they play in Divisional round. I hope that would enough time for Brady to recover from whatever injury he is carrying.

25. Brady needs a supporting cast. Until the GM starts making better decisions on draft day and free agents, this is the way it will look. For some reason BB cannot draft a WR to save his life. And the one he did draft(Mitchell) had an injury history

26. Anyone else notice the downturn on targeted receivers?
    Last game: no targets to Hogan, no targets to White.
    Previous games: few targets

If the: “I won’t throw to you” read on this holds, my prediction is that Hogan is in his last year w Pats.

27. wib22 says:

December 26, 2018 at 11:00 am

Time to use some HGH!

Why not. It worked for Manning and many of the Steelers of the 70s…well at least steroids.

28. Only thing that’s indisputable is that Brady’s the only QB in history to play 17 years for a legendary coach and 13 years with a top 10 defense.

—————————-

chickensalad43 says:
    December 26, 2018 at 10:42 am

All due respect, he is indisputably the GOAT.

29. solo681 says:
    December 26, 2018 at 11:20 am
    ….Meanwhile, the Ravens are in the Driver Seat going into the Playoffs. They are the hot team right now and their Defense is clicking – pedal to the metal.
    ——————————-

The Ravens are hot, but they have not made the playoffs yet, and are not guaranteed to do so.

Still not the most comfortable of “driver’s seats.”

30. As long as the division offers absolutely NO resistance, there is no end date to Brady’s career. He’s not a fool, he realizes all he has to do is put on a helmet and they start the season 5-1 in that perennially terrible division. Does he think he can go 5-5, maybe 6-4 against whatever the rest of the schedule brings them? Of course. And that will put them back into position to win 1 home game to play for the AFC Championship for as long as Bill Belicheck has the headset.

31. Gimpy, old Brady is better than other healthier, younger QBs. Seriously… just look at him, his team and where they are at right now as opposed to Packers, Giants, even Steelers, Niners, etc. At their stinkiest worst, Brady and the Patriots are much better than other teams. That’s with very lousy defense too. Brady can play with one good leg and still has a leg up over others.

32. Not a Pats fan.

But, I really hope Brady bows out at the right time and doesn’t ignore reality. It would be really crappy to see a shell of himself out there looking horrible.

For every story of a guy hanging on for another year that they really shouldn’t have and it working out like Peyton Manning, there are many more that it didn’t work out like Favre’s last year with the Vikings.

I know the Pats are not a bad team and it’s funny to compare a horrible organization like the Lions to a great one like NE- but I’m a 37 year old Lions fan. I can honestly say that while it sucked to see Barry Sanders retire with gas left in the tank when I was 18, I was also spared seeing my boyhood sports hero decline and get the hell beaten out of him on bad teams.

I am in the camp that thinks that the decline has started with Brady. Like others said it usually is hard drop off rather than a gradual fade. I do think that Brady comes back next year, but I think it’s gonna be ugly. All the jokes about father time are completely true.

When you get down to brass tacks-Brady will be 42 in 2019 and playing with guys that are half his age. It’s a physical reality that we all face as we get older than we lose a step here and there- pro athletes are not immune to that. It only takes one wrong step in the pocket and one missed block on the line and some 22 year old kid playing DE that grew up watching Brady and can’t wait to sack the goat absolutely crushes him blindside and the last time we see Brady on the field is when he gets carried off it.

33. Fans of other teams crack me up….. Mr. Brady has led the Patriots to the #2 seed & would have secured the #1 seed had it not been for the defensive debacle in Miami…… if THAT is everyone’s idea of Father Time catching up with him I say BRING HIM ON!!!
    Tom Terrific for another 3-4 years works just fine for me…. gives the Pats time to get & develop his eventual successor & maybe win a couple more Lombardi trophies……
    10-5 & soon to be 11-5 with a 1st round bye…. yeah, the wheels are really coming off!!! LOL

34. Fans of other teams crack me up….. Mr. Brady has led the Patriots to the #2 seed & would have secured the #1 seed had it not been for the defensive debacle in Miami…… if THAT is everyone’s idea of Father Time catching up with him I say BRING HIM ON!!!
    _______________________________________
    You obviously havent seen Brady play this year.

35. kissbillsrings says:
    December 26, 2018 at 11:43 am

—-

Well if the playoffs started today, and assuming the chargers advance then it would be NE Vs. LAC in the 2nd round.

Are you gonna saying all this stuff about bringing on father time if Joey Bosa comes off the edge and levels Brady untouched from the blind side and he goes down? One the big parts of getting older and something that everyone has to deal with in this world is not bouncing back as quick, and being more susceptible to injury. The TB12 method can only turn back the clock so far.

36. Agreed but it’s a little easier when playing in an era where you don’t have Lyle Alzado, Lawrence Taylor, Deacon Jones and Mean Joe Greene crashing into the quarterback after every play. If Beady played in the 1970s or 1980s he’d have retired years ago like Bradshaw and Montana did.

————————

nyneal says:
    December 26, 2018 at 10:46 am

37. mlhigh says:
    December 26, 2018 at 12:09 pm

_______________________________________
    You obviously havent seen Brady play this year.

………………………………………..

Really? His TDs and ints are the same as in 2013, 25 TDs with 11 ints and he has 1 more regular season game to play. He has passed for 4105 yards with a 65.4 completion percentage.

38. Correction: If the Pats put up 30 on the Ravens it would shock EVERYONE by how bad Brady, the Offense and worse of all their Defense are playing. Meanwhile, the Ravens are in the Driver Seat going into the Playoffs. They are the hot team right now and their Defense is clicking – pedal to the metal.

The Bills have the # 2 total D in the nfl as of today

They just put up 28 points and over 400 yards on them

39. las0023 says:
    December 26, 2018 at 11:36 am

So then we shouldn’t call Montana the GOAT then right?
    Since he was drafted and played for a great coach and had a top 4 defensive every year he won the SB ??

See how lame that sounds

40. the practice of ‘saving’ players for the playoffs has some history.
    Consider: limited to no use of Hogan, White, Gronk.

in support of this idea, where would NE be if Hogan, White and Gronk were hurt, unavailable.

Serious question: does NE have any other receivers?

Edelman and Slater

That ought to do it.

41. Brady needs some receivers to throw to.

The cupboard looks pretty bare to this fan. Gronk seems to have lost his owski.

42. Hope the Patriots keep him, love seeing his decline. Outside of that fifteen years of domination can’t be dismissed, no matter how hard I try.

43. chickensalad43 says:
    December 26, 2018 at 10:42 am

All due respect, he is indisputably the GOAT.

——————————-

No Brady is not indisputably the goat. There are a large percentage out there (including myself) who say Joe Montana is the GOAT. Old timers have said Otto Graham is the GOAT with 7 Championships. And then there are some who say Johnny Unitas, etc etc. It’s far from indisputable.

Montana has an 7-8 point advantage over Brady in the playoffs in both completion percentage and QB rating. Montana has a 30 point advantage in QB rating in Super Bowls. Montana’s comeback Super Bowl wins are more impressive in finishing off teams with passing touchdowns over Vinatieri field goals. And before the usual Pats fan comes in and claims Belichick (more like Lawrence Taylor) defensive superiority over Montana in H2H games, Montana has a QB rating nearly 10 points higher vs Belichick than Brady does in Super Bowls.

44. Coach BB wanted to trade him to Rams for a first, second, and third-round pick before riding Jimmy G to another SuperBowl. Now they have a broken down legend at the helm. Sad.

45. 2 years ago this team won a SB with a weaker RB group and no Gronk. They had no other answers on offense at WR other than Amendola in the slot at times on 3rds, but WHite can move into that spot or even Dorsett.

Patterson is a new look and toy that can help.

The one common denominator that has changed is Brady. His ego has spiraled out of control and some of my own Pats fans refuse to admit it.

1. Avvcado book
    2. Creepy Facebook Doc.
    3. Skipped OTAs after demanding JimmyG be dealt.

And, now, Brady has sunk into his Bad Habit Brady where he only stares down binkies a la 2007-2012 postseasons where he was inconsistent, mediocre or at times AWFUL.

BB then drafted JimmyG and Brady finally woke up. Not a coincidence.

Will Brady rise up and check the ego at the door?

This fan sure hopes he stops the Favre Behavior from 2007 and does the right thing instead of not holding himself accountable.

BB has to, but it may be too late for Brady’s exploding ego.

46. Tom Brady is the greatest Qb of all time. I have had a front row seat for it as a Bills fan. This year however, was the first year I can recall he didn’t beat us, the Pats did. There is no denying that there is an obvious decline in his play because this isn’t the first time he has played through injury, so I don’t buy the knee excuses.

The year might come down to the fact that they are paying way too much money to a broken down tight end and there is next to no investment in any other offensive player. He just can’t will the team to victory at this point.

47. thetooloftools says:
    December 26, 2018 at 12:49 pm
    I am not a Patriots fan and that “tuck rule” was a call I will never get over but this guy is still must see TV if your a football fan.

—————————————————————————————–

And the tuck rule was the worst rule ever, but it wasn’t Brady’s fault. He wasn’t aware of that rule, either.

48. bullogne says:
    December 26, 2018 at 10:45 am

____________________________________________________________

The Fat lady is the one that sings, not father time

49. @tylawspick6:

Kudos for calling it as you see it and not drinking the Kool Aid.

That being said….Raiders SuperBowl Champs 2019

I’m working on it.

Enjoy the holidays brother.

50. Why doesnt thig guy go out on top and the best of his game. He is starting to show his age rightfully so.

51. Make a trade for Foles. He’ll be happy to backup Father Time for a couple of years and get another ring.

52. “Has he reiterated that it’ll be with the Patriots? Because BB hasnt said that…”

You must be new. Belichick never discusses past or future seasons. He rarely discusses anything but he next opponent / game, with the occasional exception of a reporter asking him the rare football history question that he loves to answer.

53. chickensalad43 says:
    December 26, 2018 at 10:42 am

All due respect, he is indisputably the GOAT.

Ridiculous, his division has offered no resistance virtually entire career. His best statistical years were due in large part to BB leaving him in and running it up on the likes of the bills and Jets and the times he’s been out due to injury or suspension they haven’t missed a beat.

BB is likely the coaching GOAT, and Brady is in the conversation, but indisputable? Bananas.

54. Preserving himself for the playoffs? Is that why he hit a Bill’s linebacker in the chest with the football for what should have been his 3rd pick.

Tom Brady should call it a career after this year. He will go down as one of the best ever and nobody will have to remember him like Jordan showing father time always wins with the Wizards.

55. Tom always a fan and amazed at your record and belly checks ability to continue to put a viable product on the field/ Until this year. The Pats have no defense and will not make it through the playoffs and you look like crap. Your throwing like you have a torn rotator cuff. Happy to hand off on run plays.
    No there is something wrong going on and it may be old age pal. Time to give it a serious consideration. Would you play if you play was sub par? If so your no better than many baseball and boxing heros who didnt know when to quit until it was too late

56. I’m glad. Even though he certainly cannot be Brady in his prime, I still look forward to seeing some competitive races in the AFC East, as at least two of the teams look to be improved (though that’s been said before). If anything it’ll be interesting to see him play quarterbacks who are half his age (Darnold is 21).

But didn’t he say like 5 years, just one or two years ago?

57. I don’t care what all the Bozos think…I’ve been a Patriots fan since around 1980 and I am grateful for the stability and success the Kraft family has brought to the Patriots and for Bill Belichick and Tom Brady being a part of that.

It doesn’t matter when Brady decides to retire….this year, next year, 5 years and not playing that great anymore….I will always be grateful.

Even if they lose their first playoff game….I still have a lot for which to be grateful, and nobody can take that away, no matter how hard you keep trying.

58. If this is the diminished Brady I guess it will have to do. 7th in season QBR (ESPN) and top 5 weekly QBR in 3 of the last 5 weeks. Two sub par games in a row. Clearly not as great but still doing it.

59. patriot nation is proud and lucky to have him keep proving everyone wrong and play as long as you can.

60. I think that the point is if you’re judging a quarterback based on playoff wins it’s worth considering how good the coach and defense are too.

—————————

Flash1287 says:.

So then we shouldn’t call Montana the GOAT then right?

61. Flash1287 says:.

So then we shouldn’t call Montana the GOAT then right?

———————————

The 49ers defense ranked 8th in points allowed (1988).

62. sigbouncer says:
    December 26, 2018 at 12:56 pm
    chickensalad43 says:
    December 26, 2018 at 10:42 am

All due respect, he is indisputably the GOAT.

——————————-

__________________

Brady is the undisputed GOAT almost 50% of all available Super Bowls in his career he has played in.

5-3 Super Bowl record. Just the GOAT.

27-10 Playoff record – Will never be broken.

16 Division Titles
    12 AFC Championship game appearances

As a fan you want to be rooting for your team as Long as possible.

Tom Brady is the GOAT

63. Those are team stats and the reason we keep bringing up the defense and head coach – which are at least as important as the offense, especially in the playoffs. And of course, the QB is only one (very important) part of the offense. Drew Brees only had 2 top 10 defenses…Aaron Rodgers had 1…and Peyton Manning had 5. Brady had 13. Brady’s not a better quarterback, the only reason he was in more playoff games and Super Bowls was the Patriots had a better defense. And that’s not even bringing Belichick into the conversation while Peyton and Rodgers were stuck with John Fox, Jim Caldwell and Mike McCarthy.

————————–

5-3 Super Bowl record. Just the GOAT.

27-10 Playoff record – Will never be broken.

16 Division Titles
    12 AFC Championship game appearances

As a fan you want to be rooting for your team as Long as possible.

Tom Brady is the GOAT