Josh McDaniels reportedly “enthusiastically interested” in Browns job

Getty Images

As hyperbolic adverbs go, this one is right up there with “strenuously object.”

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is “enthusiastically interested” in the Browns’ vacant head coaching job, according to Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository.

Per the report, the Browns have used “back channels” to indicate interest in McDaniels. However, the Browns have yet to request an interview with McDaniels. If the Browns don’t interview McDaniels during the New England bye week, they can’t interview him until the Patriots’ playoff run ends, not even during the dead week before the Super Bowl teams head to Atlanta.

An interview may not be necessary; the Browns interviewed McDaniels in early 2014, during the cycle that resulted in the hiring of Mike Pettine. Although G.M. John Dorsey wasn’t working for the Browns at the time, Jimmy Haslam was still the owner, and that could be good enough for the Browns now.

McDaniels held a private workout with Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield in the days before the draft, and it’s believed McDaniels had a very high opinion of the player who became the first overall pick in the draft.

When McDaniels jilted the Colts a year ago, it was believed he’d wait for Patriots coach Bill Belichick to retire. But with Mayfield showing all the signs of being a franchise quarterback, with Belichick showing no signs of slowing down, with Cleveland’s trophy case devoid of any Lombardi Trophies, with McDaniels being a native of the area, and with Mayfield being short enough so that McDaniels could actually look him in the eye (unlike Tom Brady), the time could be right for McDaniels to accept another head-coaching job — and this time to actually show up for it.

143 responses to “Josh McDaniels reportedly “enthusiastically interested” in Browns job

1. Ya he is just going through the motions tomorrow in Green Bay. I stand behind my theory that a lot of good young coaches do NOT covet the GB job. They’ve seen the film and can clearly see this team is a dumpster fire that will take years to fix. and if you dont win right away you may be looking for a new job.
    No I think the Packers end up with Philbin as the best coaches say no thanks. Fitz already told them no interview not interested.

2. It took you a couple thousand words to make this story. Great Copy! But it shouldn’t happen unless the NFL told the Browns explicitly they couldn’t have Gregg Williams as their head coach or the Browns would be pretty stupid to not hire Williams back with the OC.

Their last 8 games vs the first… are you kidding me? McDaniels isn’t that great or he’d be a head coach somewhere.

Wait.. it’s the Brown’s so maybe they would.

3. McDaniels strikes me as too much of an egomaniac to work with John Dorsey. Like Hue Jackson, only slightly more accomplished.

4. I keep thinking of the post SB chain of events, comments and defections…
    there’s been a train a leavin’ from the station with many low murmurs and mumbles about what could a been.

Amendola: “What’s the rationale, Bill?” “Is that what we worked all year for?”
    Bill: ….ahem, er,.. cough, we do what we think is best for the team.

some are unconvinced

5. I cannot imagine why any business owner would trust McDaniels with such an important job. He failed miserably on Denver, then totally screwed over Indianapolis last year. He should be radioactive

6. Sounds like Dorsey has leaked this.

Right now McCarthy has more than enough leverage to insist on bringing his own staff; refuse to keep Williams and/or Kitchen. With McDaniels being so “enthusiastic”, McCarthy might just be more open to keeping some staff in place.

7. Didn’t McDaniel’s take an 8-8 Bronco team to another 8-8 record and then to a 3-9 record before getting fired? Then had the negative press about someone he hired got caught taping a 49er practice. Why would someone want to hire this guy? Brady has made him look good.

8. How could anyone trust McDaniels after the way he double crossed the Colts?

Besides McDaniels was a terrible coach in Denver. It is not like we haven’t seen him as a NFL Head Coach before. He got fired.

So why is he such a hot commodity?

9. Wow, I don’t know about this one. One side of the brain says avoid a guy who flakes at the last minute, while the other thinks he does very well with an accurate passer who distributes the ball well without a true #1 stud receiver. He’ll have to get used to getting jobbed by the officials twice a game, something he hasn’t had to deal with in New England. And, if the Browns past is any indication, he’ll need to hire the worst special teams coach imaginable. Still, he is, and has been, an intriguing thought. Just, will the dude actually show up?

10. That last look-me-in-the-eye criterion may loom largest.

I would like to see him take that job, if only to raise my hopes that Belichick might linger in HIS a few years longer.

11. He’ll get cold feet and back out of the deal, if he is even offered one.
    I wouldn’t go near him considering what he did to Indy last offseason

12. Browns are one solid draft away from powerhouse contention. Laugh all to want, this team has the pieces you want. Maybe get a WR. Really all you need is a brain to follow. McDaniels will make the Browns a 10-11 win team in 2019-2020 season. Take this prediction to the bank.

13. Don’t do it, Browns are up-and-coming. McDonald’s will ruin their young team like he’s ruined everything else he’s been responsible for. BB is the brains behind the operation and mascots like McDoosh and Matty P are just along for the ride.

14. As a Browns fan this does not excite me. The so-called “tree” has not exactly grown roots (i.e., it fails to grow any roots), and he was an utter failure in Denver. I do like the reasoning, especially his roots in the area. But I still say no.

15. I don’t believe Cleveland walks away from Gregg Williams / Freddie Kitchens.
    I don’t believe McDaniels walks away from New England.
    I don’t believe Haslam makes the call instead of John Dorsey.
    I don’t believe Cleveland is going to hire a guy they have not even requested to interview.

16. Hard as it is to imagine, Browns looks to be a great job for a coach now – long as ownership can keep from destroying any momentum. Mayfield looks the franchise QB, and the rest of the roster is by no means devoid of talent – and more importantly, they are playing hard. Wondering what kind of staff McDaniels would be able to assemble – would anyone follow him from NE (hell, would all of them? lol).

If Mcdaniels does get the job – needs to be SURE to get a STRONG defensive coordinator – and then stay out of it. Doubt he’ll be able to stay out of the offensive duties as it is, no need to go putting your nose where you lack talent as well.

Things are definitely looking up for the Browns – not being looked at as a bad coaching option is a good sign, and for players, at least for now, it’s not considered a “where careers go to die” destination.

17. How many successful coaches come out of NE? I’m sorry I don’t want a product of the system.

Retain Freddie Kitchens as offensive coordinator and Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator. Then hire Bruce Arians. The guy has proven himself to be successful as a head coach.

Bolster the defensive through our higher draft picks. Hopefully pick up a WR/OL through free agency and if not draft some.

Then if Arians decides to retire after the 2-3 years (probably will stay a short time), make Kitchens your head coach. The guy was only an OC for half of a season. Being a head coach is a different story.

18. After the way McDaniels blew off Indy, no one in their right mind would consider him for a job. I feel sorry for any franchise that wastes their time on him.

19. I know the consensus public view of McDaniels is that he is a sneaky snake, but there’s a chance that he has just been doing what he feels is best for his career and waiting for a perfect opportunity.

I know he pulled a switcheroo on Indy and maybe in hindsight it was a bad move, but let’s rewind to last offseason. The offensive line was porous, the defense was average at best and there were still questions about whether or not Luck would ever be himself again.

Now he’s looking at a chance to go lead a team that is ripe with young talent and a QB that he is high on. Plus, if he turns them into a winner he gets major credit and if he doesn’t, it’s just the “same ol’ Browns”.

All that said, he did blow up Denver’s roster and spend a 1st rounder on Timmy Tebow before dipping back to New England so maybe he is just a sneaky snake after all.

20. geobh says:
    January 4, 2019 at 5:50 am
    better get a no complete clause in the contract.
    ——————-
    He never signed any contract (dumb Colts announced him before actually signing him), so such a salty clause would be irrelevant.

21. Don’t do it. He didn’t develop Brady, he just took the wheel of that finely tuned machine. Anyone can do that.

22. It would be in the Browns’ best interest to keep Gregg Williams on a 2 year contract to see if he can keep up the momentum he established when he took over after the Hue Jackson fiasco. But Jimmy Haslam is too inept to see this (which explains why he hired and stuck by Jackson in the first place).

23. Browns would be “abjectly screwed” if they hired McDaniels. The guy has an ego the size of Ohio and has never done anything positive without Belicheck calling the shots. He is a terrible person and a miserable HC.

24. I don’t put much stock in claims of “back channels” and why would Cleveland need to use back channels to communicate their interest in McDaniels? Teams are free to communicate with Josh and interview him while New England is on a bye in the playoffs this week.

One of the reasons McDaniels didn’t take the Colts job last year was the Colts wanted to not give Josh full control on who he hired for his staff.

McDaniels running the offense and Pettine running the defense is a possibility I like. I don’t want the risk of Josh hiring some yes man D coordinator so Josh can mess up the defense as head coach.

Josh IF hired in Green Bay would also have no say on personnel. One big reason he failed in Denver is he was allowed to make personnel decisions. I don’t know if he is ok with no personnel say, but he would need to be or he will be asked to leave in minute 2 of the interview with Green Bay.

#InGuteWeTrust

#GoPackGo!🧀

25. Browns should retain Kitchens at any cost, he did wonders with Mayfield and the two have a great rapport. If I am Cleveland I ignore McDaniels and focus on Gase or a Williams/Kitchens combo. As a Seahawks fan I think Kris Richard would be an excellent fit in Cleveland.

26. It would be insane to leave the Pats for this job as it would expose him as a flighty nut who left the Colts after accepting their position and without any guarantee from Pats about being next in line there.

27. cjweber5187 says:
    January 4, 2019 at 5:57 am

—————————

At the time everyone criticized him and hindsight doesn’t make him any less of a scumbag. Everything you say about Indy is true but it was true when he accepted the job as well, it is not like some new information came to light.

I still for the life of me can not understand why everyone still falls over themselves over the Belichek coaching tree especially the low character McDaniels who has already failed miserably once.

Andy Reid’s last 2 OCs turned HC, in just the last 2 years alone have won the superbowl and turned around a moribound Chicago franchise. That is more than the entire Belichek coaching tree has accomplished in 20 years.

28. After years if futility I’m happy for Browns fans and hope they din’t give this dirtbag the time of day. Dorsey will do much better than a guy who rode Brady’s jock or a guy who rode Peyton’s jock (Gase). Hell McCarthy would be better as a figurehead leaving Williams and Kichens in place.

Fins Up

29. If Haslam hires this goof instead of sticking with what has worked im “tapping out” as a Browns fan until this guy sells the team. He has to be the worst owner not named Modell.

30. He was fired from the Broncos with drama. He quit the Colts. Why would a team want him?

31. I believe dude turned down The job in 2014. Forget him dude is just a bandwagon coach, he screwed colts last year don’t fall for this con artist

32. I get a kick out of people calling McDaniels a scumbag for deciding to rescind acceptance for a job and do what whet he saw as the best thing for his family. Yet many of these same people support people like Le’veon Bell and others who are doing the same thing for themselves. People accept and reject jobs all the time. Get over it.

33. The Browns would be stupid enough to hire this clown when they finally turned things around with Kichens & Williams. They already blew it by letting Kichens interview for HC. So it’s over for them anyway. Good luck with McDaniels. Back to 4-12 for 3 years in a row till he’s fired. The Browns must go with Kichens but Williams as HC. They already blew that. Incompetent.

34. No. The first thing he’d do is alienate everyone on the team then trade away their best players. Then once he has set the team back ten years he’ll run back to mama. Maybe he’s doing it as a favor to Bill. Go to an up-and-coming team and run them into the ground so they won’t be a threat then run back home to mama. This guy can’t be trusted and he’s a liar and a punk. I’d rather have Clueless Hue back instead of this loser.

35. As a Bengals fan I’m glad this guy turned down our interview request. I honestly can’t believe Greg Williams isn’t the guy in Cleveland after what he did with the Browns the second half of the season. The Browns are on the verge of being the best team in the AFC North. I think it’s a huge mistake if they hire McDaniels.

36. He apparently loves Mayfield. but I don’t know why.

As a Pats fan I can tell you he’s maddening as an OC. All kinds of toys to play with, but so inconsistent in approach from week to week.

I also don’t think the owner in Cleveland is good people so you have to weigh that as well, if not have it be the main reason for going to a new team.

I wouldn’t even take an interview without having my conditions met. These owners are crazy hiring and firing people so regularly.

The GM is also vital. I don’t trust Dorsey either. he’s overrated like Ted Thompson was and very arrogant without any successes.

37. I’m glad you astute students of the game pointed out that Josh McDaniels is a dishonest snake. Without a doubt, that is the sole criteria that determines the success of a head coach.

In fact, I remember a head coach who resigned, at the very moment a press conference was being held to announce his hiring. His name escapes me, but I’m sure he was a terrible, terrible head coach.

38. Considering all the hate the Browns players seemed to have towards Hue for being fake, I’m not sure I’d hire a guy who accepted a job, assembled a staff and then bailed the day before the press conference. Josh McD doesn’t exactly seem to be the trillest

39. “Enthusiastically interested” means he’d get all the way to the opening press conference before changing his mind.

40. Anicra says:
    January 4, 2019 at 12:32 am
    He wont leave, he wants Pats job once Belichick retires

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

No one wants the pat job after BB leaves. Brady and Gronk will be gone, the pats will return to bottom feeders. Should have kept Garoppolo

41. No. Josh cannot be trusted. Belichick does not retire until he has won at least one more title than did Paul Brown.

42. freefromwhatyouare says:
    January 4, 2019 at 7:23 am

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The pack could resurrect Lombardi and still be 7-9. The pack roster is garbage except for the QB position and that is going down hill.

43. rooneyruleblues says:
    January 4, 2019 at 12:01 am
    I hope the browns pass on this guy, I hope he fails so bad after what he did to the lions…
    ————————————–

Outside of very bland play calling that gave the Lions a layup win what has McDaniels ever done to Detroit?

44. It’s head-scratching why Cleveland would not just maintain the status quo with Gregg Williams and Freddie Kitchen?! Dramatic improvement all-round once that was put in place. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

45. The Browns would be making a huge mistake if they hire McDaniels as their HC. Not only was he terrible as the head coach of the Broncos, but he also was awful as the Rams’ offensive coordinator in 2011.

46. I am indifferent so far on Josh, but if the Packers would hire him I would want Mike Pettine kept as D coordinator. Josh is a very good offensive mind and I trust him running a offense. I do not trust him fully on hiring a staff.
    =====

I’m in the violently opposed category.

47. kapptocousins says:
    January 4, 2019 at 9:29 am
    Anicra says:
    January 4, 2019 at 12:32 am
    He wont leave, he wants Pats job once Belichick retires

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

——-

Yeah….why would anybody want to work for the 2nd most valuable sports franchise in the NFL?

48. John Dorsey, whose record of finding top tier players is beyond phenominal, is now going to do his due diligence in bringing in a top tier head coach.
    Anyone who really knows John Dorsey would know that Josh McDaniels’ name does not appear on his list of candidates.

49. Don’t want this guy. He was terrible as a head coach in Denver and he went back on his word last year with the Colts. Not interested in a guy like that coaching my team. Go back to riding Belichick’s coattails, Josh.

50. That is NOT a good fit for JM. MakerBayfield is a mouth. JM already had issues with a mouth QB in Denver – that did not end well. JM should not go to the Browns.

51. As others have said, he was a bad HC in Denver and went back on his word to Indy.

I could look good as an OC if I had Brady as my QB.

Why would any team be interested in him?

52. Let’s assume story correct. Then most of you are correct also, the guy cares about himself first. Interview with the packers knowing you don’t want the job? Wasting their time and but creating interest: hey look browns the packers want me. Pos

53. This will be one of the few times where a Browns HC job is one of the most coveted job opening. However, I don’t know if there’s any reason to change the current HC/OC combo given Baker’s success late in the season.

54. John Dorsey, whose record of finding top tier players is beyond phenominal, is now going to do his due diligence in bringing in a top tier head coach.
    ======

Didn’t his opposition to drafting Mahomes cost him his job in KC???…

55. Josh IF hired in Green Bay would also have no say on personnel. One big reason he failed in Denver is he was allowed to make personnel decisions. I don’t know if he is ok with no personnel say, but he would need to be or he will be asked to leave in minute 2 of the interview with Green Bay
    =====

I would say that is argumentative. At the least, debatable.

The Head Coach reports to Murphy, not Gutey.

What if the only way Murphy could get his guy is to give McDaniels final say on personnel?

56. If I were McDaniels, I would not relish the idea of butting heads with Aaron Rodgers. Not easy for any coach to tell someone like Rodgers what to do. It works with Brady because they sort of grew up together on the Pats, but Rodgers will resist change.

57. If McDaniels is hired, Dorsey should quit on the spot. But as a Packer fan, I hope the Browns do it just to stop the madness of even considering McDaniels in the first place. Brady made McDaniels look good, it’s not the other way around.

58. jimmyjohns01 says:
    January 4, 2019 at 10:15 am
    —————————————————————————————-

I wonder if they could bring in a Bruce Arians or a Dave Toub type to fill the head coach position, and still keep Kitchens and Williams as the coordinators. I’m not sure Gregg Williams would be down with a plan like that though, or if a new HC would accept not picking the top 2 positions on his staff. Seems like an interesting option to me

59. He screwed nobody over.

There was no contract.

He couldn’t “Hire” anyone without a contract according to reports that he hired staff. Who in their right mind would let anyone not a employee do any hiring?

All these reports this year about Bell and his sitting out. You do realize that he could do what he did and Pittsburgh could do what they did based on the CBA contract?

No signature no deal. B.B. signed with the Jets and bailed. Compensation was given. Did the Pats give compensation to the Colts?

College coaches + Temple. Current coach leaves for Georgia Tech while under contract. 2 million to Temple for leaving. They get a new guy from Miami. He signed. The day he signed the Miami coach retires (or was pushed). New guy goes back to Miami. 4.5 million to Temple. When you sign something you follow what is written down. One of the things was “You leave you pay + we don’t care you pays”. Josh didn’t sign anything.

The Colts should have kept their mouth shut until ink hit paper.

Whether he would be good/bad/average is immaterial. He was never an employee of the Colts.

“Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results” maybe for Denver, not for the Colts.

60. kapptocousins says:
    January 4, 2019 at 9:29 am
    Anicra says:
    January 4, 2019 at 12:32 am
    He wont leave, he wants Pats job once Belichick retires

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

————————
    Some things to consider here. McDaniels knows things behind closed doors thevrest of us dont. Its possible he has knowledge that Belichick is going nowhere for a long time which would mean he is better off not waiting. If he leaves this year it has to be strongly considered that Belichick is here for a long haul yet.

Also it cant be assumed the Pats will simply crash without Brady and/or Gronk. They were winning championships before Gronk and have won them with him on IR. He is great to have but proven not a dealbreaker. And if all the arguments about Brady being a system QB (that ironically come from the same folks that argue the Pats will crash without him) are true that would suggest the Pats will just keep rolling along with whoever the replacement (unknown/unseen currently so no one knows how good or not) turns out to be. Im not saying they will still fly high either, simply that this future is unknown and anyone assuming anything either way is mistaken to do so.

61. raymondmac says:
    January 4, 2019 at 12:23 am
    I keep thinking of the post SB chain of events, comments and defections…

Amendola: “What’s the rationale, Bill?” “Is that what we worked all year for?”
    Bill: ….ahem, er,.. cough, we do what we think is best for the team.

some are unconvinced
    ———————

Well, that’s one conversation that Danny won’t need to have ever again.

62. This is not far fetched as McDaniels grew up in northeastern Ohio the son of a football coaching legend. McDaniels also went to college in Cleveland and grew up a Browns fan. And the X factor is that his wife is from Cleveland. Belichick failed in his first coaching gig then we all now the story. This could be a very good hire.

63. Belichick failed in his first coaching gig then we all now the story. This could be a very good hire.
    =====

Trivia question;

Last Browns coach to win a Playoff game?

Answer;

Bill Belichick

64. SWFLPC.INC says:
    January 4, 2019 at 10:01 am
    kapptocousins says:
    January 4, 2019 at 9:29 am
    Anicra says:
    January 4, 2019 at 12:32 am
    He wont leave, he wants Pats job once Belichick retires

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

——-

——————-

65. I laugh at all the JM bashers. Plenty of coaches didn’t have good first runs. That being said I think Browns should stick with Williams.

66. Who would ever trust him again? He did something REALLY inexcusable last year. That was as bad as it gets, and I wouldn’t want him coaching my team.

67. I get a kick out of all the Cleveland fans who are dumping on Daniels because of his failed stint almost ten years ago in Denver after the coach they fired almost 25 years ago has gone on to become possibly the greatest football coach of all time!

68. I honestly don’t think he’s all the great as an OC. Many times I’ve been left wondering why he calls for a deep pass in a spot that leaves you with 3rd & 10 after basically walking to midfield. Even if you think he’s a great OC, that’s not necessarily the skill set required to be a great HC. It’s the difference between Strategic and Tactical.

69. It won’t be after Brady retires. Remember Kraft bought the team for chump change and when Brady showed up, profits skyrocketed.
    ———
    The Pats had been to the Super Bowl (1996. Krafts second year of owning the franchise) before Tom Brady showed up. Bill Belichick was the assistant head coach to Patriots skipper Bill Parcells.

70. rho1953 says:
    January 4, 2019 at 11:37 am

We’ve been through Fairbanks and Parcells. Those were as bad as it gets. Both left the team on the verge of winning it all. In the case of Tuna, he left spiritually before the GB SB game.

71. Do not want him. I’d rather them hire Mike McCarthy than Josh McDaniels and I don’t really want McCarthy. The team is rejecting request for other teams to interview Freddie Kitchens as an offensive coordinator for a reason. They know he’s a hot name right now and even if they keep him on as OC that he’s going to start getting head coaching offers possibly as early as next year. I think the smartest thing to do would be to hire Freddie Kitchens as the head coach. Take the example of the Rams. If you think he has the potential to be a head coach in the future just hire him now and lock him up.

72. As a Bengals fan, I was thankful that he said “no” to an interview. 1. This guy was terrible in Denver and traded up for Tebow. 2. New England coaches are generally terrible. Patricia, Crennel, Weis, Mangini, McDaniels, etc. 3. He showed he’s not a man of his word with how he hung the Colts out last year. It was so shameful that McDaniels was fired by his own agent. This dude is sure to bring dysfunction to the Browns with his ego and decision-making. Please hire him, Cleveland!

73. BB got rid of Lewis, Cooks, Amendola, Brady’s trusted core guys then tried to trade Gronk too. Josh Mc is being pushed to the limit by BB. It’s a wonder they are still winning. I wouldn’t be surprised if Josh grabs the Browns job and take good Patriots players and staff with him. Can’t blame him. Poor Brady is always made to do a lot with a lot less.

74. From a pure assessment of what McDaniels would bring to the mix I don’t see the upside. Mayfield has the ability to adjust on the fly, McDaniels likes a pocket passer that runs the play that’s called. McDaniels might bring some innovation but unless he’s going to OC as well that impact is limiting. I think the browns need a younger coach but someone who is disciplined but not some much they are out of touch with younger players. I think Gase would be a nice fit here.

75. McDaniels won’t leave New England again.

As much of a prick as he is, he has a brilliant offensive mind. No coach could have made Tebow a great passer. Not Bill Walsh, Mike Holmgren or
    Andy Reid.

He’s perfect for the Patriots.

76. Thing is about the Pats job, Bill will outlast Tom and what is the Patriots job without Tom, and then without Bill? Just another franchise looking for a QB. Plus, it’s like being Prince’s son. You might be a great musician, but you’re not and will never be Prince. And you will never escape the comparison. I’m a Browns fan first and I want the best coach possible and not at all sure this guy is it but thinking from his perspective.. If I can head up another franchise with a potentially great young QB in place, I’d jump at it.

77. Also, people forget how mercenary the league is. Sorry, that goes for everyone. Something happened with Indy and the Pats we don’t know all the details about. But it doesn’t pay to get caught up in being butt hurt about being jilted. Browns fans know ALLL TOOO WELLL about being jilted.

78. There’s just one small problem with this. He’s not a good Head Coach. The last time he tried this was 10 years ago in Denver when he got fired after week 12 with a record of 3-9.

79. This would be such a mistake. McDaniels already bombed once as a head coach, and there is no reason to think this time will be different.

McDaniels, Haley, Weis, Mangini, Crennel, Patricia…every few years, people christen a Pats’ coordinator as the next big thing, and then…oops, we realize they can’t hack it and maybe they just looked good because Belichick made them look good. Doesn’t hurt either when you’re an offensive coordinator with Tom Brady to rely on.

Forget the hype. Find someone who built something on his own without the best coach and QB tandem of all-time to fall back on.

80. RE LEE says:
    January 4, 2019 at 12:26 pm

————————————————————————————-
    Lewis and Amendola got big contracts from the Titans and Dolphins and delivered miniscule results. Cooks is a good player, but no way he’s worth the money the Rams gave him. No question trading Gronk in the off-season would have been the right move – he’s not the same player, and is likely done after this year – so the Patriots would have received something in return.

In other words, e very move BB made or wanted to make seems to have been obviously correct.

81. superpatriotsfan says:
    January 5, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Why did BB get rid of Chandler Jones? He’s been on fire since he left the Patriots. I bet BB is a genius for letting home go.
    ————————————————————————————–
    Because the NFL has a salary cap, and you can’t keep every guy on a massive contract. And since Chandler Jones was traded, NE won a SB and appeared in a 2nd. So I’d say that turned out pretty well.

82. people look at McDaniels and think they are getting Bill Belicheck. McDaniels doesn’t appear to have BB’s killer instinct and ability to look at players as nothing but numbers on a roster that can easily be cut, traded, or benched.