Mitchell Trubisky got off social media to improve his mental health

Getty Images

Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky hasn’t used social media all season, and he thinks that’s part of why he got better in 2018.

Trubisky says that when he struggled as a rookie in 2017, he’d sometimes look on Twitter and see people telling him he sucks, and that would wear on him and take his focus away from getting better. Getting off social media this year has put him in a better mental place.

Trubisky said that when he spent time on social media, he felt like other people were controlling his time.

“If you’re conscious of something, then you’re also in control,” Trubisky said. “And that also takes me back to the social media thing — always being in control of your time and your thoughts. Don’t let people on the outside take control. You’re in control of your time, and how you’re working, and your peace of mind, and how you sleep at night.”

Those are wise words for anyone who spends too much time on social media.

62 responses to “Mitchell Trubisky got off social media to improve his mental health

1. The internet is full of trolls, if you can’t take criticism from idiots, then social media is not the place for you lol.

2. I applaud him.

Folks, guess what happens when you get off of social media… Nothing. And it’s wonderful.

Its written by people whose opinion of connecting with others is socially stunted to say the least.

Disconnect if you really want to connect.

3. I never understood why it’s so important to tell people where you are every second of the day as people do on the internet. All it does it make it easier for bad guys to rob your home, as far as I’m concerned.

4. Social media for the weak mind. Man up and take care of your own problems without asking the world for help for every little issue you have.

5. From a Lion’s fan, that’s pretty damn smart. I hope Stafford stays off too. Good head on Trubisky, and I was glad he didn’t play against us and even more pissed that Chi’s backup beat us.

6. If I was him I would spend my time driving my Lamborghini, not sitting on the couch looking at a cell phone.

7. Other athletes should take note of Trubisky’s idea. Too many other athletes have posted highly questionable (if not downright stupid) things on Facebook, Twitter, etc, and gotten in hot water for it.

8. Getting off social media to improve mental health is good advice for, well, everyone.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet”.

~Stephen Hawking

9. This is the problem with the world today, social media has taken over people’s minds in a bad way, it has it’s advantages in a small way but i think it does more harm than good.

The younger generation has their damn phones surgically attached to their hand and they are addicted to it, even while they are driving and walking across the busy streets.

10. Let’s be honest, it’s not the social media that improved him, its him getting a stud offensive minded HC, because Trubisky still has the same accuracy issues in games.

11. I honestly hate the negative aspects social media has produced on our society. Other than the sharing of baby pictures and funny memes what is the point? I don’t care what you had for dinner. Why have 100’s of friends if you don’t talk to any of them. Lol. What a joke.

12. Poor guy. If only he was a millionaire celebrity at the top of his profession in one of the biggest cities in the US.

13. “I know what that did to me when I let those voices get inside,” he told ESPN. “It was not good for my mental health. People are one keystroke away from accessing you. Why would I allow people who know nothing about me to have an opinion? Why would I allow them to have that space in my mind?”

They should have him speak at the Rookie Emporium. W

14. Wow! This is incredibly insightful. For once its nice to see a professional rise above the normal. I’m a Bears and Trubisky fan from here on out. Bears are gonna represent the NFC in the Superbowl.

15. Good for him. Never been on Twitter, and I pretty much quit Facebook before the 2016 election. I haven’t missed it at all.

16. I don’t understand the draw of Facebook and Twitter. I’m trying to get less people in my life, not more!

17. Social media is a valuable way to improve self esteem. If I get triple digit thumbs up from complete strangers I will never meet against single digit thumbs down I can set out in the world that day with a feeling of self worth that I never could back in the days where you engaged with people directly (ie “old school”).

18. This kid continues to impress me. He might be as smart as Tom Brady. The future is bright, Bears fans. How about an SBXX rematch? Go Patriots!

19. Everyone posting positive comments on social media but saying they don’t do social media. Anywhere you can comment on internet is social media, duh!

20. Vikings4Life says:
    January 4, 2019 at 8:23 am

______________________________

Let’s be REAL honest, you’re just triggered and upset because Trubisky is in the playoffs and you have been wrong about him since day one.

21. Vikings4Life says:

——

I, for one, am happy that you didn’t see these accuracy issues last week! I believe Trubisky completed about 10% more of his passes than Cousins and converted something like 58% of third downs against the (apparently?) best third down defense.

22. Nothing like reading the anonymous commenters here looking down their nose at the toxicity of social media. Irony detector is redlining.

23. Trubiscuit is smart to get off social media. But the jury is still out on whether he’ll ever be a good QB.

24. Why would I allow people who know nothing about me to have an opinion?

Because we watch football and can see you are an average to below average QB riding the coattails of a good defense!

25. Good for you Mitch. Got off Facebook a couple of years ago. Follow Cubs, Bears and Cigar Aficionado on Instagram. Not interested in a anyone’s opinion. Oh, and don’t get me started on everybody’s stupid videos. Geez, get a life.

26. My favorite is political opinions. 50% of your friends will agree with your post and 50% of your friends will unfollow you. Congratulations on cutting your friend list in half.

With that said, I can’t imagine being a professional athlete and reading social media. Someone is saying negative stuff about you somewhere and every moment of every day and you might actually be doing charitable work of some kind at that moment. I applaud Mitch for tuning it out. Now Mitch (cuz I know he’s reading this), cut down on the overthrows for cryin’ out loud!

27. Colonel Quibble says:
    January 4, 2019 at 10:05 am

__________________________________

Comment of the year. Internet won.

28. whyalwaysthehate says:
    January 4, 2019 at 10:45 am
    Colonel Quibble says:
    January 4, 2019 at 10:05 am

__________________________________

Comment of the year. Internet won.

———————————–

+1,000

29. I’m dying to tell Tom Brady the same thing, but I don’t have social media to connect to him. Patriots fans who do have social media accounts, please tell Brady to get off social media. He’s the only QB who’s in it most of the time. Social media is a mind scrambler. His performance went down eversince he caught the social media bug.

30. Nothing like reading the anonymous commenters here looking down their nose at the toxicity of social media. Irony detector is redlining.

__________________________________

Except on here you dont tell people what you’re doing every 30 minutes.

Or post pics trying to make you’re life look better than it is

Or send direct messages to people.

So yeah, not ironic at all.

31. Social media is addicting, for real. Every time you get a “like” the reward center in your brain produces a little jolt of dopamine, similar to the high a gambler gets when they win. The crazy thing is that we’ve now raised a generation of people who’s brains are wired differently because of it. It’s easy to scoff at a 23 year old athlete for caring about these things. Its harder to BE a 23 year old athlete and not care about these things. Good for him. Not so good for social media platforms who have known they are causing serious damage for a long, long time.

32. minerslung says:

January 4, 2019 at 7:05 am
    Been off social media for 2 years. It’s a great feeling.

———–

And yet, the timestamp on your comment has today’s date on it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Lots of people posting about the evils of social medial…on social media. Unironically.