Philip Rivers: Exciting to get another chance to face Patriots

Getty Images

Sunday’s win over the Ravens sets the Chargers up for a trip to New England to face the Patriots next weekend and it’s not the first time that quarterback Philip Rivers has found himself in that spot.

The Chargers faced the Patriots in the AFC title game after the 2007 season and lost 21-12 with Rivers playing through a torn ACL. It’s been a long time since that game, but Rivers and Tom Brady remain in the same spots that they were back then and Rivers said he’s excited about the chance to take on the Patriots once again.

“Again, I’ve got to focus on that defense,” Rivers said, via the team’s website. “Now I’m not playing Tom by any means, but is it special to go to New England to go against a Hall of Fame coach and arguably the best quarterback ever to play? [Am I excited to] get another shot at them? Heck yeah. Heck yeah it is special. Just like I always told you, we look over and it’s Peyton Manning on the other side. I’m not playing those guys, but I have a great deal of respect. [I’m a] fan of those guys. So to get an opportunity again to go against them 11 years after we had that opportunity in the 2007 season, yeah, it’s awesome. I’m looking forward to it.”

Rivers said the team needs “to play better offensively” than they did in the 23-17 win over the Ravens and getting a repeat performance from the defense would be a big help to getting the result that escaped Rivers over a decade ago.

91 responses to “Philip Rivers: Exciting to get another chance to face Patriots

1. Absolutely zero faith in the chargers winning.

If Coleman or Corrente call that game the pats will have it in the bag before it even begins.

2. With my team not in the mix I’m officially on the Chargers bandwagon. Big Ben has two rings, Eli has two… I think it’s time the best QB from the 2004 draft gets a ring.

3. Early forecast: 19 degrees.

Rivers has never won vs Brady, but that won’t mean much next Sunday.

What will mean something is if SD can come east again at 1PM and play a lot better than they did today.

Not so sure they have another gear or the depth to beat NE.

4. If the Chiefs dont get in, if be fine w the Chargers getting their first one. Anything is better than the Patriots. It would also be nice to see an AFC west team other than the Denver Donkeys get to and win a SB.

5. It’s nice to see the Chargers getting into the Divisional Round. It is too bad they don’t have any fanbase who could enjoy their success this season. At least they can truly say that they are playing for each other.

6. Chargers winning in Foxboro? In January? In the cold? Against Brady? Right. Congrats Tom Brady on going to another AFC championship game!

7. Don’t understand the fascination with this guy. He’s done NOTHING… how many playoff appearances, much less playoff wins? He had good years with LT, Sproles, and Antonio Gates in his prime but even then, it was 5 yard passes that whoever caught it was doing all the work. He finally made it back to the playoffs now that he’s got another RB to go along with a half-way decent defense. He throws too many interceptions in clutch situations. And if I’m not mistaken, he threw a pick in the 1st drive of the last 3 games and in this game had only 160yds and no TDs. The dude whines EVERY game… and don’t give me the “he’s competitive stuff”, he throws full out tantrums. And PLEASE give me a break with the HOF talk. I give him the most overrated QB achievement, that’s about it.

8. As a Patriots fan I would love to see Tom get the 6th ring. But if we have to lose to anyone I will be cheering for Rivers to have the chance to finally get a ring of his own.

9. Funny, I did not see one post on a Patriots thread last week with Charger fans talking about how the Patriots had no chance against them. I did see plenty of posts by Raven fans saying that the Patriots had no chance against the the Ravens. Of course, the Ravens fans were right because the Ravens didn’t make it out of the Wild Card round.

I love this match up and will wish the Chargers and Rivers well if they win. I didn’t feel the same way about Harbaugh and the Ravens.

10. davedsone says:
    January 6, 2019 at 9:56 pm
    “it’s Peyton Manning on the other side” is an insult. Brady has 5 rings, Manning has 2.

——-

1. In your haste to remind everyone that Brady has 5 rings, you missed the point. He’s simply talking about going against legends. Peyton, Brady, etc.

11. Don’t worry, Patriots has no formidable defense and Brady also lost three of his very good weapons. Gronk is not Gronk-like and Brady is not Brady-like. So… may the better team wins. At least the Red Sox won the World Series. We can’t be too spoiled with two championships now, can we? It won’t sting as much if others win this SB. But we are still hoping, you can count on that.

12. Looking for Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram to put a lot of pressure on Brady. Casey Hayward Jr. will shadow Edelman all day. Derwin James will man up on Gronk.

13. I don’t like Rivers but he earned my respect when he played against the Pats with a messed up ACL. The Pats should win this game but it won’t be a cake walk by any stretch the run game won’t work Brady needs to throw for at least 3 or 4 tds and I don’t trust the defense. This will be a shootout.

14. The good news for the “super” Chargers is that they’ll be facing off against a defense in the divisional round that’s not quite as formidable as that of the Ravens. The bad news is that this time the opposing quarterback won’t be a rookie who looks lost in the bright playoff lights. He’ll be the G.O.A.T., who, contrary to the views of some, can still sling the ball around effectively. The Chargers are a more well-balanced team now than in prior years. But I still expect the Pats will likely take care of business in a competitive game in Foxboro.

15. NE has an offense and a QB.
    Oh, and a coach with some experience.
    And, they’re at home.
    In New England.
    It gets cold.

San Diego is about to get iced down.

16. Turn the tables and instead of the Chargers already winning one playoff game (while the Patriots have a bye) and traveling clear across the country for two road games in one week while the Patriots will play a single home game, let the Patriots try it and see how they do. They wouldn’t do well if we use the Patriots history as our guide. The Patriots 2018 road games record is 1-4 against teams outside their own division if that tells you anything. The Patriots are just an average team that gets an unfair advantage year after year for playing in the worst division in all of the NFL. Their claim to fame is a total farce.

17. As a fan, TB/BB/Pats owe me nothing. The joy/excitement they’ve given me over the past 18 years is more than I could’ve asked . I think that this is the last hurrah for my Pats. I’ll never take for granted what they’ve accomplished.

18. The Chargers should win, but they’re the Chargers. The Vikings of the AFC. They will make inexplicable, idiotic mistakes and the refs will make terrible calls at the absolute worst time (like that ridiculous holding call on Okung on the play that should’ve ended the game). Hopefully they can survive all that and still win because the Pats are ripe for the picking.

19. Chargers were completely anemic today. The Ravens has no business in the playoffs, yet the Chargers almost pulled the usual and choked it away.
    Better get it together before next week, or this will be ugly.

20. This is a great match-up and will be the marquee game of the weekend. Chargers will have to play mistake free football for four quarters, see Marlon McCree & Shaun Phillips in 2006 AFC Div. against Patriots, to win.

21. Just want to take the time to marvel at the Rivers quote…To hear the excitement in his words but specifically his reference to getting back to where they were 11 years ago. Well the Pats have never left that perch and I just want to thank the entire New England Patriots organization for their commitment to winning, it’s been a wild ride and we’re not done yet!

22. After watching that sh*t show today, who in the world thinks that the Chargers have a shot on the road vs a Belichick game plan?

Look, I’ll be rooting for Rivers and Co – but I cannot see them winning the game.

23. Seeing as the Bears got knocked off and that completely destroyed my original SB pick I’m gonna go all in on the Chargers this year, would love to see future HOFers like Rivers and Gates finally get a ring.

24. History tells us to predict an Indy at New England AFCCG. The Colts are 4-0 against the Chiefs in the postseason dating back to 1994 I believe. Only 2 if those wins involved Manning if memory serves correctly and the Chiefs were at home in 3 of those contests.

But history feels like the underdog here. Mahomes feels unbeatable at home, and the Chargers had a better season than the Patriots.

But this is football at its finest. This is the best playoff field and best matchups I can remember. The Chargers are 9-0 on the road facing a Patriots team that is 8-0 at home. This game plays to both teams’ strengths. The Patriots will be better for the week’s rest, but I feel the Chargers are better for having played.
    The Patriots lone loss to the Chargers in recent memory was the Matt Cassell game in San Diego in 2008. But the Chargers losses in the 2007 AFCCG (the game Rivers and Tomlinson played with significant injuries after upsetting Manning’s Colts) and in the most recent regular season game in Foxboro were close losses. 21-12 and 21-13 if memory serves. And now the Chargers on paper feel like they have both the superior offense and defense.

In other words, this may be the year history flips its script and gives us Chargers at Chiefs. I like the Chargers in that rubber match (I can never bring myself to imagine the Chiefs in a Super Bowl but I thought the same of the Patriots before their 1985 magic carpet ride to Super Bowl XX).

The AFC champ will have to face the Eagles in the Super Bowl. They are riding some serious pixie dust and their experience, heart, and grasp of the fundamentals will expose the Rams and Saints as frauds. The Eagles remind me of the Patriots dynasty 1.0.

Chargers – Eagles anyone?

25. I also like that both the Patriots and Chargers beat the Chiefs already. 43-40 Patriots in a game in which Mahomes was held to 6 points in the first half. 29-28 Chargers in Arrowhead. The Chargers are capable of coming from behind and the Patriots are capable of giving up big leads on big plays, so Pats fans better hope their team has the edge in mental toughness, physical conditioning, special teams, and situational football. That’s the only way they can win this game.

Both teams started out 1-2. The Patriots were strange this year. They suffered a greater number of decisive losses this year than in any other under BB (Tennessee, Jacksonville, Detroit) but registered wins against playoff bound Kansas City, Indianapolis, Houston, and Chicago. The wins over Green Bay and Minnesota seem less impressive now than when they happened, but the wins over Houston, Chicago, and Indy look more impressive now. Defensive lapses against Tannehill in Miami make me worry but I was impressed by their defensive performance against Pittsburgh in the loss.

26. Edward Halverson says:
    January 6, 2019 at 10:24 pm
    Patriots don’t have anything close to the Ravens defense.

Chargers will blow them out

Patriots at home 8-0

Averaging 32 points
    Allowing 16

No one is blowing them out.
    Patriots win

27. San Diego better play really good
    because you can’t depend on nfl officiating
    when tom brady is involved.

28. Philip Rivers has a gunslinger mentality, but too often he has shot himself in the foot. He is the Barney Fife of Qbs. He needs to keep his emotions in check and not turn the ball over.

It isn’t the player’s fault that the team was moved out of San Diego, I believe that Rivers would have rather had the team still there, rather than the move to LA. That is the only reason I want the Chargers to win, for the players. I have no use for Spanos. I don’t know if his father would have ever moved the team or not. The people of San Diego deserved better. If Charger ownership wanted a new stadium, maybe they should have won something and contributed more for the building of it in San Diego.

Philip Rivers never beat the Patriots, but all of those losses weren’t his fault. The best chance the Chargers had to win a SB, was in 2006/2007, when they lost against the Patriots in the divisional round of the playoffs. If that Charger defensive back doesn’t cough up the interception, we might be talking about a SB win and the Chargers still being in San Diego.

The Patriots lost that following week to the Colts. The Colts then beat the Rex Grossman led Bears team in the SB. The Chargers had the Colts number back then. I believe they would have beaten the Colts rather easily, then they should have easily beaten the Bears.

A football team made up of toddler’s with attitudes could have beaten that Bears team.

I know the Chargers played the Forty-Niners in one SB. But lets be honest, the Chargers never had a chance in a million years of winning that game.

29. Should be a great game between the Pats and Chargers.

The Pats will have to be perfect, something they have not been very often this season, to beat the Chargers. Same goes for the Chargers, so it should be a great afternoon of football.

May the best team on the day win and if it’s the Chargers will root for them to win it all.

30. steelcurtainn says:
    January 7, 2019 at 1:15 am
    Chargers are better then New England and they’ll prove it sunday.

They’re both better than Pittsburgh.It has been proven.

31. The Chargers will handle the Patriots quite easily. Mark it down. The Chargers’ defense will hold the Brady bunch down substantially, and the most lopsided part of the game will be the offense of the Chargers providing far more than a weak NE defense can handle. 35-17, Chargers.

32. As a Raiders fan i’m totally stuck on who to route for ! Think i hate the Pats more ! Just hope its a decent game without any controversial plays to ruin it. Fair play to Rivers, a great QB who continues to play well

33. No LT to sit on the bench sulking while Rivers plays his heart out with a torn ACL this time.

34. Turn the tables and instead of the Chargers already winning one playoff game (while the Patriots have a bye) and traveling clear across the country for two road games in one week while the Patriots will play a single home game, let the Patriots try it and see how they do. They wouldn’t do well if we use the Patriots history as our guide. The Patriots 2018 road games record is 1-4 against teams outside their own division if that tells you anything. The Patriots are just an average team that gets an unfair advantage year after year for playing in the worst division in all of the NFL. Their claim to fame is a total farce.

—————-

Or, the Chargers could have planned to stay out east for two weeks in the event that they won. Just like BB has done in the past with his teams. Regarding the AFC East, do some research. New England’s record outside of the division is similar to the record inside the division.

Sounds like you’re already making excuses.

35. I despise the Patriots, but they will win this game at home. It’s tough to beat the triple threat at Gillette, Bill/Brady/Refs.

36. Patriots almost always have less talent – they have to pick last for 19 years. But they have the GOAT coach and GOAT player with most guts to compete.

37. thecape15 says:
    January 7, 2019 at 8:48 am
    Turn the tables and instead of the Chargers already winning one playoff game (while the Patriots have a bye) and traveling clear across the country for two road games in one week……
    —————-
    ——————————————-

Although the Texans are getting a well-deserved reputation for coming up small in big games, the Chargers could not absolutely plan that the Colts would defeat the Texans on Saturday.

Interesting that in spite of the weekend’s games being generally good defensive games, some of the biggest defensive names, Mack, Watt, Clowney, were mostly disappointing.

38. Love the pre-loss excuse train that materializes every year when teams come to Gillette to face the Patriots.

39. doctorrustbelt says:
    January 7, 2019 at 5:28 am
    San Diego better play really good
    because you can’t depend on nfl officiating
    when tom brady is involved.

Yeah, that’s been shifted to Philly. New darlings of the convenient flag/no flag.

40. Am a diehard Pats fan, and love the Jan deep runs, but have always enjoyed watching the Chargers. All the way back to Air Coryell. Man, they were fun to watch.

41. Brady is 6-0 vs Rivers (4-0 reg season, 2-0 playoff). Brady’s 31-3 after a week off, 115-19 at home, 12-2 in divisional rounds. One crumb of comfort for Patriot-hater – AFCW has always been Brady’s toughest challenge & lowest success vs any division, he’s only 22-12.

42. spencerhsite says:
    January 7, 2019 at 8:01 am

The Bears , Vikings and Bills all had better defenses than the chargers
    And Brady has good games against all of them.

43. exinsidetrader says:
    January 7, 2019 at 8:10 am
    Chargers are more talented than Pats (yes, even at QB).
    Only edge they have is home-field and the weather.
    ——-
    Just wondering….does coaching enter into the equation for you?

44. It would be good to see Rivers FINALLY beat NE, but since the game is at Gillette field, I will settle for 1, just one (1) single offensive holding penalty on the NE O-line on a pass play. That is my wish!

That would be enough for me, but I doubt I get my wish. Zebras leave their flags in their pockets at Gillette for NE, especially on pass plays.

45. I like the Chargers chances in Foxboro this time. Patriots defense is a as weak as we’ve ever seen it and Tom Brady is showing his age. He’s struggling really.

I think the Chargers get it done and play the Colts at home in the AFC championship game.

46. Never forget the 1988 playoffs. Paid $450 for two tickets in the nosebleed seats. Parked in the mud at the “Stick”. Niners were 13 and 2 that season. Wild card Vikings came in after a one week 49’r bye week and smoked the poor forty niners! Anything is possible.

47. 2. Put Peyton with Bill Belichick, and he’d have a fist full of rings too. Peyton very rarely had a defense that good, and never had Belichick.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can we please stop with this nonsense? No, Peyton would not have a fist full of rings with BB. He likely would have been the same old Peyton come SB time. A 77 QB rating with 3 TDs to 5 INTs in 4 career SBs. Zero chance Peyton leads a 4th quarter comeback against Seattle and even comes close to winning a game after being down 28-3. Peyton was a great player, but Brady surpassed him years ago. Its OK to admit the obvious.

48. tylawspick6 says:
    January 6, 2019 at 10:08 pm

Early forecast: 19 degrees.

——————————–

Incorrect. Hi of 31, but there is a 50% chance of snow.

49. spencerhsite says:
    January 7, 2019 at 8:01 am
    **********************************

These are the fans that I absolutely love – the ones who “guarantee” their team beating the Pats in the playoffs. Any idea how that’s turned out in the last 20 years? Yeah, the Pats might not win them all, but I wouldn’t be guaranteeing anything as a road team coming to Gillette in January.

50. spencerhsite says:
    January 7, 2019 at 8:01 am
    The Chargers will handle the Patriots quite easily. Mark it down
    ————-
    then you need to put all your $$$ down on the Chargers and collect your winnings on Sunday.

51. steelcurtainn says:
    January 7, 2019 at 10:15 am
    They’re both better than Pittsburgh.It has been proven.
    _______________________________________________________
    Uh, the Steelers beat New England this year.

——–

So what now they are 3-11 since Brady came to the Pats? Just think, if the Steelers with the next 8 games against the Pats they will finally be even!

52. So what now they are 3-11 since Brady came to the Pats? Just think, if the Steelers with the next 8 games against the Pats they will finally be even
    __________________________________________________________
    And what are the pats record vs the Steelers before shady got there. The point is they lost to the Steelers last game, so how are they better. Their not.

53. I’m just glad the Ravens lost with that NCAA QB at the helm.
    Not quite sure about all the comments about Rivers getting a ring are all about. This game doesn’t give u a ring. I used to dislike Rivers but he’s sorta grown on me. Should be a good game and the Pats d is more then capable of stopping Chargers offense. I like Pats chances. Either best won’t be surprised.

54. steelcurtainn says:
    January 7, 2019 at 12:29 pm
    __________________________________________________________

You can beat a superior team in the regular season and still come up with a worse record for the season and miss the playoffs. That’s how. Patriots are playing this weekend., What’s your team doing? Quod erat demonstrandum.

55. steelcurtainn says:
    January 7, 2019 at 10:15 am
    They’re both better than Pittsburgh.It has been proven.
    _______________________________________________________
    Uh, the Steelers beat New England this year.

And the Raiders beat the Steelers.

56. I’m constantly confused by people who had their team eliminated or didn’t make the postseason wanting the Patriots to lose.

If you’re a Browns fan for example, wouldn’t you want the Patriots to win as opposed to the Chargers? If the Chargers win that’s another team that has won a Super Bowl before you. I’d rather that list be short and the Patriots win every year if my team doesn’t.

57. steelcurtainn says:
    January 7, 2019 at 12:29 pm
    __________________________________________________________
    ——————————————-
    They’re better because they are playing in the divisional round of the playoffs on Sunday while the Steelers will have been playing golf for two weeks.

58. aarons444 says:

January 7, 2019 at 9:44 am

I’d let to see Derwin James get Brian Hoyer some snaps in this game…

===============================================

This would be nice as it would mean a Pats blow out.

59. Early weather report has Foxboro in the mid – 20’s with a possibility of accumulating snow.

Chargers better hope Melvin Gordon is feeling strong as the ground game will be important for both teams in that weather.

60. steelcurtainn says:
    January 7, 2019 at 12:29 pm
    __________________________________________________________

————

How are the Pats better than the Steelers? Simple. The Pats are still playing with a chance to win a SB. The Steelers are done and in disarray.

61. bowenfootdoc2013 says:
    January 7, 2019 at 10:24 am
    ____________________________

Oh man! Great game!! Two words – Anthony. Carter.

62. Edward Halverson says:
    January 6, 2019 at 10:24 pm
    Patriots don’t have anything close to the Ravens defense.
    ————————————————————-
    And the Ravens had nothing close to the Pats offense.