Gregg Williams won’t be back in Cleveland

Getty Images

Now that the Browns have settled on a new head coach, they don’t need the interim.

And if nothing else, Gregg Williams can always find work at the post office.

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the former defensive coordinator who filled in after Hue Jackson was fired will not be retained by new coach Freddie Kitchens.

Trying to keep him would have created the kind of internal turmoil they’re trying to move away from, the kind which made Hard Knocks such an awkward watch at times. And while they played well under his watch, the development of Baker Mayfield and the need to keep a rising commodity like Kitchens made it inevitable.

Williams has bragged about all the offers he’s had in the past, and will get to pick from those letters now.

46 responses to “Gregg Williams won’t be back in Cleveland

1. They better hire someone with HC experience on that staff. I’m not disapproving letting go of Greg Williams. Our defense wasn’t the greatest. But this is a high risk, high reward move. Get someone with HC experience on the staff..

2. Best of luck to ya Gregg! Thanks for helping to bring winning back to “The Land”. Your time as interim head coach won’t be forgotten.

3. tylawspick6 says:
    January 9, 2019 at 12:26 pm
    This guy and Todd Haley are the same person. They spend 1 year on a team and ruin their reputation.

I have no idea how they keep getting re-hired.

——————-

The fact that I agree with this post means I need to get my life in order.

Good day. PFT.

4. Great X’s and O’s coach, but just a difficult person. He consistently wears out his welcome, which is why teams shy away from him as a head coach.

5. Kitchens wasted no time getting rid of a potential controversy over who is gonna be in control of the team. They was loyal to Williams and it’s a shame for it to end like this. Cowardly move by him and he will regret it.

6. kcflake says:
    January 9, 2019 at 12:23 pm
    Gregg Williams can be the defensive coordinator in kansas City. We would roll out the red carpet for a competent DC.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Andy tried hiring an arrogant defensive coach in Philly, name of Jim Washburn. Didn’t work out so well for Big Red.

7. Dorsey is a smart guy – this whole thing is weird to me. Why keep that entire staff? Should have all been let go last season despite some mild success, you cannot keep that entire group.

8. I feel bad for the guy but I understand the decision. I know he’s not very well-liked in some circles but he took over after the mess Hue Jackson was fired and did an excellent job. They finished 7-8-1. The Browns were 5-3 after Williams took over. That’s more wins than Hue Jackson got in the last decade. He made the team competitive and now he’s shown the door. It doesn’t seem fair for the job he did. However, with a new coach means a new staff and if there was going to be some tension they had to do this. I’m sure Williams will find a job out there. He certainly deserves it after what he accomplished with the Browns the last half a season.

9. I was all for they keeping Williams based on how the team performed post-Hue. But they want Kitchens…OK. I’m going to assume this is Dorsey’s desired move and not Haslam just screwing everything up like he always does.

And, of course they couldn’t keep Williams after hiring Kitchens. I agree with someone above that it would be a good idea to hire someone with HC experience as a mentor to Kitchens so that he can have some of the pressure taken off of him.

10. I guess now we can see all those teams that wanted to sign him without an interview line up again… or wait, that was probably a lie… okay.

11. If I am the Bengals then Gregg Williams is my guy. Get to play the Browns two times a season and has proven he can win as a Head Coach.

12. Kitchens needs more experience at OC before going to HC, and more importantly he has shown that he can have a positive effect on Baker. He should’ve been given more time to work with the young QB, now we will get to see whether that development continues or gets stunted.

We also have the fact that Williams got more wins for the Browns in 8 games than they had in the previous 3 or 4 years. Do we really think Kitchens was the cause?

13. Guys, has ANY of this been confirmed? As far as I’m concerned, this is just nonsense until I see it happening in real life! Who’s providing this “inside” information?
    Mary Kay Cabot? Haslam’s son-in-law? This doesn’t mean diddly until an actual announcement is made. For all I know this story is coming out of Dorsey’s office until he sneaks the next head coach into town. I’ll believe it when it happens, and not a moment before!

14. One thing that can’t be disputed is that Gregg did one hell of a great job as interim head coach. It’s disappointing that after success like that he’s got to move on.

15. tylawspick6 says:
    January 9, 2019 at 12:26 pm

I have no idea how they keep getting re-hired.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    So Gregg Williams ruined his reputation when he led the Browns to a successful end of the season?

16. With all that talent the Browns have on defense they were ranked in the bottom 5. How does that make Williams a better hire than Kitchens?

17. Michael E says:
    January 9, 2019 at 2:19 pm

That team turned around LITERALLY the day he took over as HC. Jets should get him.

The Chiefs put up 37 on them in his first game as head coach/DC which was a loss.

18. As far as I’m concerned, this is all just speculation. Until an actual announcement is made, none of this means diddly. I mean, were they not reporting the ridiculous story last November that The Browns wanted to interview Condoleezza Rice for the head coaching position??? For all we know, this is Dorsey’s way of sneaking in the next head coach under the media’s radar. I’m not believing any of this, until the official announcement is made- Period!

19. only thing I didn’t like about his defense was that no one ever covered running backs on pass plays

20. tylawspick6 says:
    January 9, 2019 at 12:26 pm

—————————–

Ruined his reputation? He took a team that won 3 of it’s previous 40 games and won 5 of his 8 games as Head Coach. Ruined his reputation? He did nothing but increase his reputation.

21. I think Gregg is actually best suited as a head coach. He’s mostly about culture and attitude and that’s what you want in your head man. X’s and O’s can come from the coordinators. He wasn’t gonna stick around with Kitchens as head coach because he’s too strong of a personality and the defensive culture would dominate the team.

22. You Greg Williams fans are nuts. Williams coached my Bills for 3 years. He lost the locker room almost immediately with his militaristic style of command. His record was 3-13, 8-8, 6-10. And by the way he was not the Browns OC who achieved a number 13 offense this year. He and his son achieved the #30 Defense this year.

23. Funny how everybody is giving GW all the credit for the Browns record after Hue was fired. The defense was no better however, Kitchens provided the spark where Mayfield thrived. “Come get some”

24. Except for the 10 regime changes in the last 15 years. That minor detail.

charliecharger says:
    January 9, 2019 at 12:36 pm
    There’s no pressure on Freddie. No pressure on the GM. The Browns owner never fires anybody.