Report: J.J. Watt had knee cleaned up after season

AP

Texans defensive end J.J. Watt didn’t miss a game during the 2018 season, but he did appear on the injury report for much of the second half of the year with a knee issue.

Watt reportedly had the issue addressed after the team’s Wild Card round loss to the Colts. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Watt had the knee cleaned up surgically.

Rapoport reports it was a “minor” procedure and that it “sounds like he’s fine now.”

Whatever the trouble with the knee, Watt’s performance wasn’t overly affected. He had 68 tackles, 16 sacks and seven forced fumbles after coming back from a tibial plateau fracture and back injury that limited him to eight games over the previous two seasons. That led to a spot on the All-Pro team and Pro Bowl berth, although the knee cleanup could keep him from joining his brother T.J. in Orlando.

19 responses to “Report: J.J. Watt had knee cleaned up after season

1. Man i thought this dude was fully washed cuz he overbuilt his body and wore it out. I was wrong. his sack totals might be a little inflated because of the way the horrible coach Bill Obrian leaves his defense on the field all day. But the dude was still a very good player in 2018. SMH!

2. I love having this guy on our team. He’s a first-ballot hall-of-famer, and I sure hope his body can hold out for a few more seasons. I worry that this accumulation of injuries is eventually going to result in an early retirement.

But I will continue to enjoy having him for as long as he is around.

3. Glad he’s ok and will get to play in the pro bowl. Since blitzing is not allowed in the game, why bother dressing out?

4. texansfan82 says:
    January 17, 2019 at 3:31 pm

But I will continue to enjoy having him for as long as he is around.

—–
    Like Gronk. Dude, call it a day. It’s not worth it.
    Love watching these kinds of players.
    But, feel sorry for them on how I know they will feel years from now.

The normal “oweys” of life at a younger age do not go away.
    You get in your 50s and 60s and they all come back.
    I was at an orthopedist this morning.
    I’m the youngest old person there.
    We’re all waiting. So, I ask “How many of you got aches and pains from something 30-40 years ago?”
    All of us said “Me.”

5. dualprime says:
    January 17, 2019 at 3:42 pm
    His sack total would double if he played in the AFC East.

Maybe, but you could have the best O Line possible in front of the QB and the QB could still stink.

6. 92 sacks in 8 nfl seasons. Missing 2 seasons completely also. This man is legend in the making if he keeps this pace going. Unreal JJ.

7. This guy would be play even if he had an arrow sticking in his side. I am not a Texan fan per se, but I have nothing but respect for the grit and greatness of this first ballot hall of famer.

8. dejal says:
    January 17, 2019 at 3:56 pm
    texansfan82 says:
    January 17, 2019 at 3:31 pm

But I will continue to enjoy having him for as long as he is around.

—–
    Like Gronk. Dude, call it a day. It’s not worth it.
    Love watching these kinds of players.
    But, feel sorry for them on how I know they will feel years from now.

The normal “oweys” of life at a younger age do not go away.
    You get in your 50s and 60s and they all come back.
    I was at an orthopedist this morning.
    I’m the youngest old person there.
    All of us said “Me.”

—————————————————————————————

One of my favorite sayings is: “the older I get the smarter my parents get”.

9. I remember all the draft geniuses said this guy was all motor and no athletic ability, that his ceiling was low and was drafted too high. That draft was really stacked but he should have gone in the top 3.