Teddy Bridgewater contemplating his future

Getty Images

Teddy Bridgewater made a free agent decision a year ago. It didn’t work out.

Now, he gets a second chance.

Who knows how it will all play out?” Bridgewater said Monday, via Luke Johnson of the Times-Picayune. “I’m just taking it one day at a time and trying to swallow what happened yesterday. . . .That’s something that stings for a while. Whatever happens in the future, it’ll just happen.”

The Saints backup quarterback becomes a free agent again this offseason. He signed a one-year, prove-it deal with the Jets last offseason, expecting to be the team’s starting quarterback.

But the Jets drafted Sam Darnold in the first round and dealt Bridgewater to the Saints. Bridgewater played only 71 snaps in 2019, with 52 coming in a Week 17 start.

Bridgewater, 26, could return to the Saints hoping to replace Drew Brees in the future. But Brees already has announced his return for 2019.

It’s more likely Bridgewater will get more money and a chance to start immediately somewhere else. He looks to rank as one of the top available free agents at his position.

“I definitely feel like I’ve overcome some major hurdles to get back to where I want to be in my career,” Bridgewater, a former first-round pick of the Vikings, said. “I have some time this offseason to reflect on things and think about life going forward.”

43 responses to “Teddy Bridgewater contemplating his future

1. He got that start, with all of his starting O-line out and starting RB out. The goal was to just survive that game. Nobody knows still if he can play after that injury.

2. Staying with the Saints would be foolish…… He has the opportunity to be a starting QB for several QB STARVED TEAMS….

3. Having watched him play for the Vikings, I don’t get what the buzz is about? He has a weak arm, used to be able to run but tore up his knee and hardly ever challenged the secondary beyond 20 yards. His Viking days are somewhat understandable, the Vikings never have a good QB so he looked the part but if you are building a playoff worthy team, I would look elsewhere for my QB.

4. Not for nothing but teddy gets a lot of respect for someone who hasn’t performed all that great. I think he is a good player but let’s be real he has not shown himself too be a game changing quarterback that he is made out too be. More like a game manager not a guarantee at all. Nice guy but I would need too see a lot more out of him too be convinced he is any good

5. Last year I was hoping Teddy would come back to the Vikings to be the starter, but it was clearly too big of a risk to entrust the job to a guy coming off such an injury. I got on the Cousins bandwagon when it was clear Teddy wasn’t coming back, but now I wish it were possible for Teddy to come back. Cousins has more arm talent and puts up big numbers, but Teddy is way better at making plays when you need to make one and is much better at eluding the rush. If he had ever played in an offense designed for him, you would have seen what he could do. Maybe we can get him back in 2021.

6. Sign a two-year deal with the Saints, learn from one of the game’s greatest, and be ready to take over after next season. There’s a wealth of talent on this team, and the Saints are built to be competitive for a while.

7. Having watched him play for the Vikings, I don’t get what the buzz is about?

—-

Not surprising.

Most of the QB position is played from the neck up and that’s where Teddy excels; in addition to ball placement.

8. arealisticpackerfan says:
    January 21, 2019 at 5:50 pm
    Having watched him play for the Vikings, I don’t get what the buzz is about?
    —-
    Not surprising.
    =======================================================================================
    It’s what made Stephen Hawking one of the best QB’s of the modern era.

9. Given all the QB needy teams, go somewhere for a 1 year lower salary and prove it.
    A team like the Jaguars is faced with a bad cap situation.
    But if they could have Bridgewater for a low salary for 1 year, they could start him instead of Bortles.

10. Yes, any team out there in the market for a QB that can toss you about 12-14 Tds, with about the same amount of picks, just open your hearts, as well as your checkbooks to Teddy B. today.
    It would be extra helpful if you have an extremely gullible fan base. skoLOL!!!

11. Theodore has some good qualities and some not so good ones, his mobility was good decent accuracy,and hes a nice guy… some concerning issues are the arm strength, being able to stay healthy, and not ANTICIPATING opening receivers instead of waiting them open and then allowing the DB to close the separation gap.

I don’t think he will start a full season, maybe if the Giants move on from Eli, he would start a few before the rookie goes in… but I am not sure about that, more likely an insurance policy for teams like the Bengals, Dolphins, or Panthers, who have concerns about their starters skill, or health.

12. I think he ends up in Fl. I thought the Bucs could of/should have got him. Winston is just a breath away from another mistake that will cost him playing time. In reality any of the Fl teams could use him.

Also another place might be Carolina. Who knows whats gonna happen with Cams Shoulder and he always takes a beating

13. Always liked Teddy. Showed a lot of guts with the Vikings. I think he is a rough diamond and with a little polishing could really shine. Best of luck Teddy.

14. With the Vikings his strength was his ability to maintain concentration and find open receivers under pressure; however, that was largely based on his mobility, which is now lessened by that gruesome knee injury. The weak-arm small hands crap are red-herrings repeatedly chanted by cheesers who have been spoiled by a mobile, strong-armed HOF QB whose career has been wasted. So long as he has mobility, Teddy’s lack of a cannon isn’t a big deal — but it just doesn’t look like he can play the mobility card anymore (he sure didn’t seem to have it in that last game of the year).

15. Teddy is a winner. He may not have all the tools that some of the elite guys possess, but he showed plenty of potential in Minnesota and it never seemed like any moment was too big for him. I hope he gets another chance to compete for a starting job. He may never be a great fantasy football quarterback with massive stats, but can win games.

16. Hard not to cheer for him. Heck, if he were the starting QB for the Packers in the Super Bowl I’d even think about cheering for them! I still wouldn’t do it, but for his sake I’d think about it….

17. flacidcactus says:
    January 21, 2019 at 8:10 pm
    His best season was in 2015… He threw 14 TDs…
    _________________

Yes, yes it was.
    And don’t forget he led the Barneys to the 29th ranked offense that season, despite the fact they had a future Hall of Fame RB that rambled for almost 1,500 yards and 11 Tds.

18. 2 years in a row he’s made the NFCCG. Not as a starter but still. Whoever gets him, they are getting a winner. The dude plays his heart out. Come back to the Purple TB.

19. There are 1,000’s of “really nice guys” that couldn’t make it in the NFL. He’s one of them.

20. I’m thinking the Vikings are going to sign him to a 5 year $130M contract to replace Cousins who they obviously missed with last year.

Admit your mistakes and make new ones. It’s the Vikings way.

21. Ride the pine, Teddy, collect that NFL kizzidy cashola and save your body from trauma. Ain’t nothing wrong with being a career back up. $$$.

22. All the cheeseheads are still salty about 22 year old Teddy eating their lunch for the division at Lambeau in 2015. They are also happy he was hurt because 26 year old healthy Teddy would be mopping the floor with them right now.

23. Vikings fans are insane! They talk up this guy. “He may not have good stats but nice guy and winner who went to the playoffs”!

By that logic, Blake Bortles should be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. After all, he led his team to the AFC Championship and they actually were one quarter away from the Super Bowl. He is also mobile. Much more so than Teddy ever was!

24. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    January 22, 2019 at 11:46 am
    stellarperformance says:
    January 22, 2019 at 7:50 am

___________

And you aren’t.
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

And you are?

25. Wafflestomp says:
    January 21, 2019 at 8:39 pm

Yes, yes it was.
    __________________

Also dont forget that he regressed after AP came back cuz of the need to overhaul the offense to fit APs running style intead of going out of shotgun more I formation.

26. The guy hasn’t taken a meaningful snap for the Vikings since 2015, yet packer “owners” have nothing better to do. I guess after 2 straight sub .500 seasons they have everything figured out.

27. As a Vikings fan, I’ve seen what he can do when healthy. He’s not a top tier guy, but he can still find ways to win. I agree with many above that a back-up role is probably his best suit. Carolina might be the perfect fit for him. If Cam isn’t ready, Bridgewater can start and although he’s not as big a guy as Cam, Bridgewater fits the style of that team. Playing in Carolina would give him chances to start if Cam isn’t healthy at the start or if Cam is re-injured again.