Tom Brady says “zero” chance he retires after Super Bowl

Getty Images

Mike Florio posed the question last week: Will Tom Brady walk off if the Patriots win their sixth Super Bowl? The Patriots quarterback answered that in an interview with ESPN that aired Sunday.

Brady ruled out retirement after Super Bowl LIII, telling Jeff Darlington there was “zero” chance of that happening.

Brady, 41, stated repeatedly this season that his goal is to play to the age of 45. The future first-ballot Hall of Famer has played well enough that no one is questioning whether he has another year or two or three or four or five left in him.

Brady completed 375 of 570 passes for 4,355 yards with 29 touchdowns, 11 interceptions and a 97.7 passer rating during the regular season. He has completed 64 of 90 passes in the postseason for 691 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

Brady will play in his third consecutive Super Bowl with hopes of becoming the first player ever to win six Super Bowl rings. He doesn’t expect it to be his last obviously, with no intention of calling it quits.

74 responses to “Tom Brady says “zero” chance he retires after Super Bowl

1. Brady seems to want to prove people wrong that he can’t play to 45. I think he can, but the question is at what level?

Aaron Rodgers has said when asked about playing past 40: “I think I will let Tom set the bar on that and then go try and match it”

Aaron is 35. Another 10 years if he goes to 45. PackerNation is on board!

#GoPackGo!🧀🏈

2. I just think the Refs wil decide this coming Super Bowl so Im not gonna watch. Yall know that at the NFC CG they had all refs from California calling the game??? Granted New Englands as corrupt as they come so if anyone can match the nfl’s scheming itll be them. But Im not interested.

3. Good, he’s a great example of success, determination and character for our young people.

4. freefromwhatyouare says:
    January 27, 2019 at 5:02 pm

inju

Aaron is 35. Another 10 years if he goes to 45. PackerNation is on board!

#GoPackGo!🧀🏈
    _______________________________________________

That would be nice, but Rodgers is proving to be brittle and injury-prone. At this point, I’d just like to see him make it to 38 without getting injured. If that goes well, then we can see if he can get to 40.

5. His contract runs through 2019. But, unlike the last decade, there wasn’t an extension done the year before. I think the Patriots first draft choice will be interesting. Wouldn’t Kyler Murray get the chat boards smokin’.

6. whodatalien says:
    January 27, 2019 at 5:09 pm
    I just think the Refs wil decide this coming Super Bowl so Im not gonna watch.
    ————————————————–

You sure do put in a lot of effort commenting here about a game you’re not going to watch.
    Everyone but the Rams 10 fans believes you got you hosed, even here in New England where we really were pulling for a Brees/Brady SB.

Just one question for you. Since your not going to watch and there’s no point in you following a league you view as hopelessly corrupt, why are you still following along and commenting?

7. Well….I think I will now be pulling for the Rams. I was hoping TB would win his sixth title and walk off in Jordan like fashion. If he’s coming back next season, win or lose….Go Rams!

8. I don’t understand the Tom Brady retirement belief. He’s not Favre or Roethlisberger who always ran to the media with their uncertainties about playing for a number of off-seasons. The man has repeatedly stated he wants to play a few more years. He’s not like any other QB we’ve seen before so we can’t treat him like anybody else.
    I take him at his word on this issue.

Still can’t stand him though and hope he goes away, but i’m a chiefs fan and I never get what I want anyway.

9. Reading through the comments, I lost count of how many times the “haters” were mentioned, yet not one of the comments is derogatory about Brady, and just one was derogatory about New England being corrupt. You Pats fans are hilarious. Talking about hate and disrespect you seem to be hallucinating. Then you wonder why people don’t like you.

10. they had all refs from California calling the game???

I remember reading somewhere that the Rams lost all their games with that ref or refs calling their games so there goes your conspiracy theory

11. Soooooooooo……. does that mean he’s still here? He’s still here? He’s still here?

12. I’m born & Raised in New England but I’m a life long Chiefs fan. I still can’t watch any highlights or interviews from the championship game. But how can you not RESPECT TB12 & what this franchise has accomplished.

13. He will play until he is 45 the question is for which team? Belichick is eager to prove he can win with any competent QB and Brady’s critics will always question how much of his success was due to playing in New England.

14. 2019 “Pats fans” – Keep hating Brady, haters! Your tears are delicious!

*Tom Brady retires in 2022*

2023 “Former Pats, now Chiefs fans” – Keep hating Mahomes, haters!

I love bandwagon fans.

15. ” Yall know that at the NFC CG they had all refs from California calling the game???”

Yup and that was a bad look for the league and a terrible non call, everyone agrees on that. But wasn’t there also at least a hands to the face penalty committed against Donald on the same play that wasn’t called? At best it should have been offsetting penalties and replay the down. Which could have led to a Saints victory but no guarantee.

If you’re going to complain about the refs blowing calls or making non calls on one team, you either have to also complain about what they blew for the other team or you have a double standard.

16. aj66…when Patriots fans mention “haters” it is because of all the posts on anything Patriots related over the entire season..not just on this thread.You watch tv right?How many “so called experts” predicted the “fall”of the Patriots?When they lost what did they say?When they won what did they say?I remember posts when solder left that said”who will protect Brady..that Oline is going to get him killed” blah blah blah.If you are honest you probably posted comments belittling the Patriots.Your to old..your to slow.
    .defense can not play…save your selfrighteousness and watch the Patriots in their 3rd annual get together.

17. Somebody stop the madness… respect for sure. But it is, unless you’re a patriot fan, getting old.

18. Well,90% of the country has no need to watch as the only thing they were interested in was Brady announcing his retirement after thrusting another Lombardi into the air as MVP!

The Haters need a new occupation. The psychological impact is going to be devastating.

19. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    January 27, 2019 at 4:53 pm

Pats fans have been saying it right along, Brady isn’t about to leave Kraft in the lurch after the loyalty he was shown with the trade of Jimmy G.

Stay salty haters.

120

——————-

I readily admit I questioned it after a bit of an ego explosion last year and his offseason behavior with Gronk on social media.

Clearly, there was a sit down and yet another even late this year.

Brady has been playing like a man possessed since the Bills/Jets games, leaning more on the run and old school football, making him better.

The results are obvious and tangible.

20. pauldeba says:
    January 27, 2019 at 6:30 pm

—————-

It’s already the case. Pats Deranagement Syndrome is alive and well and becomes real ripe this time of year.

Say hello to all at the bandwagoner’s board for me!

21. To all the “bandwagon fans” posters ask yourself one question..Where do you get your information from?I have been a Patriots fan most since I was 8…I am now 53…When I moved to NC I was in the 8th grade…when The Patriots started winning SBs nobody I knew suddenly switched teams but the younger generation(you do know people are born every year) chose to be Patriots fans..just like in your town.I bet when a new store came to your town,that offered lower prices than the place you usually shopped at,you switched.Or are you “so loyal” that you paid more?Yeah right.Not every state/city has an NFL TEAM,but just like anything else people want their moneys worth.

22. He still doesn’t suck yet. That’s his condition for retiring. Three consecutive SB appearance at his age? Definitely not sucky. He’ll be back….

23. aj66shanghai says:
    January 27, 2019 at 5:51 pm You Pats fans are hilarious. Talking about hate and disrespect you seem to be hallucinating. Then you wonder why people don’t like you.

I think we know why you basement dwelling keyboard jockeys don’t like winners from other teams.

24. Brady will stick around for a couple more years. Then I’m good with a tank and a great draft spot right around the time Trevor Lawrence enters the draft.

🙂

25. 1952vikefan says:
    January 27, 2019 at 6:53 pm
    NOT IF IT’S UP TO DONALD AND SUH
    —-
    Suh didn’t do jack to Brady as a Dolphin. Patriots don’t worry about that guy.

Donald is all world but the Patriots OL is playing lights out. If they play like this one more time Donald will be erased.

This is NOT the team that got beat up by the Giants and Ravens in big games a few years ago. It’s better and by a lot.

26. the pats and us fans are happy to have himb.the cry babies not so much😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

27. CTcheifsfan…kudos for sticking with your team in hostile country(lol)I live in NC and am a diehard Patriots fan.Most fans here are Cowboys or Redkins fans and have been their whole life..when the Panthers came a handful jumped ship but not many.I moved here in the cowboys/skins heyday and the Pats were not good to say the least.Your team played a great game and mahomes has great talent.I hope he develops into a QB that can read a defense because when he does that he will be one of the greats.

28. harry hands says:
    January 27, 2019 at 6:29 pm

———–

Tell your team to git gud and beat them. Its really that simple.

29. Aj66..sorry we Patriots fans gave you the impression that we cared if you liked us or not…thats our fault..we should have showed you the list of people that we need to impress..you are not on said list.

30. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    January 27, 2019 at 5:25 pm
    whodatalien says:
    January 27, 2019 at 5:09 pm
    I just think the Refs wil decide this coming Super Bowl so Im not gonna watch.
    ————————————————–

——————————–

It is kind of obvious that he is a fan of football who has become disillusioned with the brand of football served up by the charlatan Goodell, who has twice now screwed New Orleans terribly.

31. This is Brady’s last game, he has no idea how chewed up he’s going to be after that Rams’ defense keeps pounding him into the ground while the ball goes flying in the other direction. When the Patriots tie the record for the most Superbowls lost, both Brady and Bel8cheat will flee to the locker room as all poor sports do and we’ll never hear from them again.

32. Let me guess… The TV ratings for this SB will be a record thanks to all the people that are “not going to watch”.It will be the same people that troll the Patriots with their nonsense and say they “do not care” but yet post every single time something about the Patriots happens.You really cannot make this stuff up…I understand now why “bigfoot TV reallity shows” are still popular.Big fan base.

33. Timtebowguy..did mahomes seek out Brady or was it the other way around??If and when your team wins a divisional championship game and or SB you would know that the losing team leaves the field unlike a regular season game.Of course you would not know that and I am happy you don’t.Name me one SB or Championship game when you saw that?

34. wib22 says:
    January 27, 2019 at 5:26 pm

3 legit rings
    ———————————-

Updating us on the condition of your toilet is not necessary but thanks anyway.

35. freefromwhatyouare says:
    January 27, 2019 at 5:02 pm

Aaron is 35. Another 10 years if he goes to 45. PackerNation is on board!
    ——————
    After his last two years I would say the Vikings and Bears would also be on board with Aaron playing 10 more years. Either he returns to form and the games are entertaining or more likely he will be a shell of his former self sooner than later and that will make for some easy Ws in the division.

36. Remember…..Suh haven’t been a factor for years when he got huge bucks. Twice a year when he was with Miami, I thought he was retired, never hearing his name. Suh scares no one, but Donald is a beast.

37. clownbaby37 says:
    January 27, 2019 at 5:52 pm
    they had all refs from California calling the game???

—————————-
    There is a thing called “the appearance of i propriety” and the NFL seriously dropped the ball on that one. Really for a game that high profile the NFL should have thought that through more. They have a large stable of refs and they are from all over. They could easily have put together a crew with no ties to the region of either team. (Note that the fact they were clearly not thinking along these lines at all could be construed that they were not acting at all like someone trying to slip any game fixing by the public) I would hope that for the SB none of the refs have any ties to NE ir LA at all. Because if they do, even if there is not a single controversial call, it will still get held up as something we never hear the end of. Granted, there are some out there who will complain no mater what. But it would still help to keep any appearances out of the picture.

38. TimTebowGodOfFootballKarma says:
    January 27, 2019 at 7:53 pm

———————-
    I was uncomfortable with all the articles lauding the Patriots because it starts to feel like a possible jinx after a while. I was sincerely hoping somone on the other side would be dumb enough to step into all of this to guarantee a win and balance that all out. So thanks.

39. His production will decline yearly but still better than most. Next year when he loses in the AFC Championship the media will say he’s DONE. That’s how much they exaggerate.

40. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    January 27, 2019 at 5:55 pm

———————-

Neither Brady nor Belichick have anything to prove to anyone. Brady going to a substandard team isn’t going to add or subtract from the fact that he has 5 Super Bowl rings, so far.

41. I am glad he is hanging around. I want Mahomes to beat HIM not the just the Patriots after he leaves. Although when it does happen, Pats fans will say “It’s only because Tommy was past his prime!”

The handwriting is on the wall. Mahomes is the future.

42. jjackwagon says:
    January 28, 2019 at 11:14 am

The handwriting is on the wall. Mahomes is the future.

Future? Dude, he’s not even right now.

43. Soooo many draft picks coming up. Last years IR draft picks coming back. This is actually a down year for the Pats. Good luck, AFC. They can pretty much draft with the Chiefs in mind and nobody else.

44. “They can pretty much draft with the Chiefs in mind and nobody else.”

Steelers finally got over the hump and beat the Pats this year, at the very least they have to be taken into account.

“The handwriting is on the wall. Mahomes is the future.”

Mahomes is a great player and I heard a clip from him after the Pro Bowl where he was asked what he’d do in the off season, his response being get immediately back to work so he could be a better player next season. KC has a bright future and hopefully they’ll continue to surround him with good players on offense and improve their defense.

That’s said, I think Brady has a couple very good seasons left in him so its not quite the future just yet.

45. As nice as it would be to see him go out on top and in good health and to see how the Patriots fare post Brady, it may be selfish but I think it’s even better to see a player of his caliber push the limits to its furthest reaches and to see if he can still go out on top whenever he decides to call it quits.

46. He can think he is going to play until he’s 45. Age will catch up with him…that or pass rushers as his line slowly continues to disintegrate before him. That and I doubt Bill will stay there that long before he walks. Kraft can’t keep the magic together that long.

47. Brady will play a few more years and if the Pats get lucky with a draft pick this year or next, we can have competency or—dare I say—continued excellence at the position.

Or it could be horrible. Who knows?

48. Good. Hopefully he can finally answer that all important question: What the heck was that “secret room, mattress with no sheet” commercial all about anyway? The only people who have rooms like that are keeping people in them against their will.