Patrick Mahomes wins MVP award

Getty Images

The MVP award began as a debate between Drew Brees and Patrick Mahomes, but by late December, it had become clear that the Chiefs quarterback was going to win. When Mahomes received 45 of the 50 votes for first-team All-Pro, any remaining drama was gone.

Mahomes collected his prize Saturday night at NFL Honors, getting 41 votes to nine for Brees.

“I’m truly honored to win the NFL’s most valuable player award,” Mahomes said, via Brooke Pryor of the Kansas City Star. “You see the rich history that it has. I’m so humbled to share this honor with them.”

Mahomes, 23, should have many more chances to win multiple MVP awards to join an elite list of players with more than one. Peyton Manning has a record five MVP awards.

Mahomes passed for 5,097 yards and a league-leading 50 touchdowns in a remarkable first season as a starter. He is only the fifth player to win MVP in his first two seasons in the league, joining Kurt Warner, Dan Marino, Earl Campbell and Jim Brown.

Mahomes is the first player from the Chiefs’ organization to win the award.

He also won offensive player of the year earlier in the night.

86 responses to “Patrick Mahomes wins MVP award

1. For fantasy purposes he was pure gold, doubt he keeps it up so regression is coming but surely some clowns will take him in the first round next year.

2. “No question. Close second is Brees. But come on. Those numbers?”

Yep. Those numbers. I also think he’s more important to his team. Scary good to be so young. I feel for the AFC West for the next decade.

3. laughterguns says:
    February 2, 2019 at 7:06 pm
    “No question. Close second is Brees. But come on. Those numbers?”

Amen brother – I totally agree. Just wish the award was actually more like MVP to the team. Got a preacher AND a choir here.

4. Let’s also all go ahead and collectively apologize to Andy Reid. Guy gives up things to draft Mahomes, we all mock him. He unilaterally trades away Smith this year to start Mahomes. We all mock him.

Genius

5. Yeah well of course he did. League wants to keep fantasy players and / or the Millennials happy

6. Who were the 9 guys choosing Brees over Mahomes? I like Brees, HOF QB no doubt, but the vote should’ve been unanimous. It was Mahomes no doubt, but I suppose if Brees had 1,000 more yards and 10 more TD’s there could be a debate.

7. Sorry, but what Baker Mayfield did in Cleveland to me was much more valuable. He elevated the Browns and turned that team around with his play. Without Mayfield the Browns would have been looking at another 0 win season. He was the real MVP this year.

8. Sorry, but what Baker Mayfield did in Cleveland to me was much more valuable. He elevated the Browns and turned that team around with his play. Without Mayfield the Browns would have been looking at another 0 win season. He was the real MVP this year.

The real MVP should be whoever fired hue Jackson

9. Mahomes didn’t lose to the Patriots. That’s a false narrative. The Chiefs defense couldn’t stop Brady when it mattered. Mahomes was brilliant.

10. “pastabelly says:
    February 2, 2019 at 7:35 pm
    Mahomes didn’t lose to the Patriots. That’s a false narrative. The Chiefs defense couldn’t stop Brady when it mattered. Mahomes was brilliant.”

+1 exactly

11. I love how people post, wait till next season. All season Chiefs fans heard, wait till the next game, wait till teams have film on him. The kid can flat out BALL!! I will be the FIRST to say he has a great cast of offensive talent surrounding him. #15 STUD

12. Which is what Brees faced during his multiple 5000 yard seasons. But this young man deserved it and you won’t find Brees saying otherwise.

13. ctchiefsfan25 says:
    February 2, 2019 at 7:40 pm

—-

Let me quote that. Just in case.

14. Deric Gregory says:

February 2, 2019 at 7:32 pm

If Mahomes keeps it up, KC will pick up a bunch of bandwagon fans as soon as Brady retires
    __________
    Not only that, they will earn tbe honor of being the next team to hate. With Mahomes these guys are going to be the team to beat through the next decade.

15. charliecharger says:
    February 2, 2019 at 7:06 pm
    Mahomes is the best player I’ve ever seen.
    ———————
    Welcome to football

16. charliecharger says:

Mahomes is the best player I’ve ever seen.
    ==========================================

You’re young.

17. Gee. He is the MVP and no doubt he’ll be the Rookie Of The Year, too. Chief’s fans already have him in the Hall Of Fame, so I guess he just has to win a Super Bowl and then he can retire. (just kidding, folks).
    The kid deserved the award. He’s a great talent and he played like a 10 year pro. I’ll be interested to see how he does over the long haul.

18. Michael E says:
    February 2, 2019 at 8:09 pm
    charliecharger says:

Mahomes is the best player I’ve ever seen.

——————————————————————————————–

Uh….. I’m wondering how old you are and how long you have been following the NFL. Because Mahomes had a great year, but he’s nowhere close to the best player I have ever seen. Let’s let him do it for about 10 years or so and then we’ll talk about it. Okay?

19. ctchiefsfan25 says:
    February 2, 2019 at 7:40 pm

————————
    Those folks are right. Wait until opposing coaches get film on him, study it, and find things to exploit, find ways to scheme against what he did this year. Those are fair things to say. But…if after they do that and we see Mahomes then adapt to the schemes and be able to keep adjusting his game so that coaches have to keep coming up with new ways to beat him… thats going to prove that this really is the start of a long career of greatness.

If Mahomes cant adapt that will be a trajectory more like Kaepernicks. We can all remember that Kaepernick was amazing in his first couple years but never adapted as coaches figured out ways to beat him so then stuff headed downhill.

As far as talent around him your comments are spot on.

And for what its worth, I think the level of defense reading I saw him do this early in his career (reminiscent of Brady in his first year and how did that come out?) are a sign that has me personally thinking he will be able to also have the awareness to adapt as the years go.

20. What Mahomes will learn is he will now be expected to perform close to this level every year, just as Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Russell Wilson are.
    That is the difficult part and I’m interested to see how he makes out.

21. Well earned. Congrats to the young man and all KC fans. He’s a big-time talent and fun to watch. A helluva job by the KC front office identifying and going after the right guy with that 10th pick. Fingers crossed our Giants FO can follow up on their 1st-round success last year with something akin to KC’s with the 6th pick this year.

22. Congrats to PH who has been not only a pleasure to watch but he made it look easy. Outside of him beating every QB in just about every statistical category, Here is a frightening stat for you the Chiefs were Rank 5th in the league in DROP PASSES now think about that, Could you imagine his numbers had they held on to the pigskin along with playing behind the 31th Rank Defense, If he didn’t show up every week they not only miss the playoffs but have a record like the Raiders. Because it took a record-breaking season at the QB position with that pitiful defense for them to win games, They never scored under 26 points for the entire season.

23. What makes this kid special, are the throws he makes.

His running ability may come back to bite him some day, but his throws are what make him.

Best, I have ever seen.

And I am old!

24. dejc421 says:
    February 2, 2019 at 7:51 pm
    Deric Gregory says:

February 2, 2019 at 7:32 pm

__________

———-

I don’t hate the Pats. I hate bandwagon fans.

25. Tomorrow night, Mahomes will hear Tom Brady say “Hold my beer kid, watch THIS!”

He had a great season, but let’s see how Mahomes does over the next two or three years, before we put him in Canton.

26. Deservedly so. Happy for him. It’s telling that Brady went out of his way to talk to Mahomes after the game. The GOAT sees some kid.

27. No question mahomes deserves it.

Anyone thinking Brees had a shot is delusional. They didn’t see his awful performance the last 6 games in the season and his game against the rams

28. Not sure if anyone else feels the same way, but the NFL MVP award is not and has never been assessed correctly. In my opinion, the voters determine the MVP based on the QB who has the best season stat-wise and completely overlook what the award actually signifies – the player who makes the biggest difference in the success a team achieves. By that assessment, Patrick Mahommes should not be the MVP. Before him, the Chiefs have been a perrenial playoff team with Alex Smith. I think Luck should have been named MVP for the simple reason that without him last year the Colts were 4-12 and one of the worst teams in the NFL. With Luck, they were 10-6 and made it to the divisional playoff round.

TL;DR – Mahommes deserves the Offensive Player of the Year, but shouldn’t have won MVP based on how the award should be assessed. Luck should be the MVP.

29. He is the MVP and no doubt he’ll be the Rookie Of The Year, too.

I’ll bet you a grand he doesn’t win Rookie of the Year…

30. amurdora says:
    February 2, 2019 at 7:18 pm
    ——–

So true. And everyone wrote him off and said his system had been figured out when he was on his last days in philly.

31. MVP award is no longer for the Most VALUABLE Player.
    It is now the”Best Stats Award”
    The Chiefs were in the playoffs last season with Alex Smith and should have gone deeper.
    Where would the Saints be without Brees?
    We saw that week 17 against the Panthers with Bridgewater.
    Superficial voters

32. MVP not this year!! The MVP is playing tonight vs.the Rams. You remember the guy who sent the MVP back to KC. He’ll get his turn when the GOAT shuts it down!!

33. 19 NFL games and his performance has been impressive to amazing in all. And his persona is a lock for him to be the most popular player in the league for years.

34. jasons81 says:
    February 2, 2019 at 10:32 pm
    He is the MVP and no doubt he’ll be the Rookie Of The Year, too.

I’ll bet you a grand he doesn’t win Rookie of the Year…

———-

Yeah that would be tough since he is not a rookie

35. tebow420 says:
    February 2, 2019 at 10:48 pm
    State Farm gonna replace Rodgers for Mahomes
    +++
    Great. Now it’ll give Rodgers something else to complain about.

36. exinsidetrader says:
    February 3, 2019 at 9:06 am
    He LOST every big game he was in this year.
    ————————————————-

So, you don’t consider beating the Colts in the divisional round a big game, huh? Plus, the Chiefs averaged 36 points a game in their 5 total losses this year. Hard to blame the QB for that one dude. They lost twice when scoring 40+.

37. Mahomes started one game as a rookie (the Chiefs had already clinched the playoffs) and I watched that game and thought, aught oh. Game changer for years to come. Mahomes plays for a divisional rival of mine. That being said, he is impossible not to watch or like. The Chiefs have a great game changer in him. I wish he played for Denver.

38. I’m really impressed with his all around ability. He’s got the physical ability, and great mental poise and decision making. He looks like a 5 year vet out there, but better.