Carson Wentz won’t say criticism “inaccurate and totally made up”

Getty Images

Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz was described as selfish, uncompromising and egotistical by unnamed players and others “close to the team” in an article from PhillyVoice.com that was swiftly met with on the record defense by other members of the team.

Wentz has now directly addressed the report as well. Wentz pushed back at specific claims, including that he “bullied” offensive coordinator Mike Groh and that he is not a “team guy.”

“I know who I am, first of all. I know how I carry myself. I know I’m not perfect. I know I have flaws,” Wentz said, via Philly.com. “So I’m not going to sit here and say it was inaccurate and completely made up. I’m not going to do that. … I realize I have my shortcomings. Yes, I can be selfish. I think we all have selfishness inside of us. There’s human elements to that, that I really look at and say, ‘Well, I can get better.'”

Wentz said he was “emotionally kind of all over the place” as he dealt with frustrations associated with returning from a torn ACL and said that may have left him short of being the best teammate, but his personality isn’t going to change as he works to on being better.

“Anytime you’re a Type-A guy, there’s a fine line being pushy and shove-y and humble and humility and walking that line,” Wentz said. “Definitely learning to navigate that always and never trying to look down on anybody or make it seem like I’m better than anybody. But at the same time, as a Type-A, so-to-speak, confident person that’s confident in off-the-field things and then on the field with what we like, that’s not going to change.”

The Eagles have made it clear that Wentz is their No. 1 quarterback and Nick Foles is expected to move on as a result of that decision. That will put Wentz’s ability to be better across the board under a bright spotlight in 2019.

27 responses to “Carson Wentz won’t say criticism “inaccurate and totally made up”

1. They’re squeezing Foles for $2 million to buy his free agency. Yeah, thanks for nothing. If they now franchise him, I hope he signs the tender because no team is going to give up much to a player with a franchise tag.

2. pastabelly says:
    February 4, 2019 at 8:32 am

———————————————

The Eagles receive a 3rd round compensatory pick for Foles if he leaves in free agency. It is logical then to assume the team has had conversations with interested parties and have surmised that they will receive more than a 3rd round choice in exchange for a franchise-tagged Foles. In fact, given the way the league values good quarterbacks, it would be surprising if the Eagles didn’t receive a first round pick as a part of the compensation for the former Super Bowl MVP. Something like this is probable:

Eagles give: Foles, 5th round pick
    Eagles get: 1st and 3rd round picks

And you shouldn’t be crying for Nick Foles. He’ll gladly sign the tender as he knows a trade is inevitable and his new team will probably sign him to a new deal. And if they don’t, playing under the franchise tag for a few seasons seemed to work out ok for Kirk Cousins.

3. Carson Wentz is going to have a great career in this league and so will Nick Foles.

We all have flaws and we all can come off wrong to some people. Doesn’t mean that Wentz is a terrible leader or person. He was dealing with a ton in 2018. Coming back from what he did isn’t easy in one year. Let alone 9 months.

I wish my fellow Eagles fans would stop bashing either Wentz or Foles. If you have to put down one to build up the other than you have a weak case. I like both and I honor both Wentz and Foles. Together they brought the Eagles their first Super Bowl championship and I will forever be grateful to both!

4. I don’t like Wentz, I think he’ll wash out. And I hate the Eagles. But I have no respect for any player who goes and cries to the media about their teammates. Especially when they don’t have the courage to make their name public.

5. You idiots really think Foles is better than Wentz? Man sport fans are stupid lol. How we all forget the dude was basically the MVP a season ago.

6. In 20 years the 6-time Super Bowl winning QB has ZERO teammates, current or former, criticizing him. In 2 years this cat has got 6 or more CURRENT teammates calling him a jerk.

Hello: that’s a lot of smoke for there not to be a fire.

Solution: deal him before he further damages his status.

7. Guarantee not all the Patriots like Brady. Not all the Packers like Rodgers. Not all the Cowboys liked Aikman. Not all the Steelers like Roethlisberger. Not all the Seahawks like Russell. Etc… Carson is supremely talented and can make plays other QB’s can’t.

8. ^ The difference is teammates respect Brady, respect Wilson, and respected Aikman. You can’t say that for Ben and Carson.

9. imamarinebiologist says:
    February 4, 2019 at 1:17 pm
    *********
    Those qb win wentz doesn’t big difference

10. @Justin Morris says:
    February 4, 2019 at 1:02 pm
    *********
    Under 500 with wentz won almost every very game with foles team plays much better with foles that’s the only thing that matters

11. This seems to be part of the process of how a guy goes from being a ‘Franchise QB’ to, ‘could have been a franchise QB’.

They should keep Foles around if they are smart.

Looks like the Eagles got their one SB, and it will take them 52 years to sniff out another.

But hey going five decades between titles is a regular thing for Philly, so there you go.

12. @Justin Morris says:
    February 4, 2019 at 1:02 pm
    ==============================================================================
    He was almost MVP because he involved the majority of his offensive weapons! When he came back, he had eyes for only Zach Ertz. He single-handledly made the Tate trade a bust by literally ignoring him. Foles came in and all of sudden, Jeffries and Agholor and Tate became more involved, including RBs. In addition, he ignored the easy, simple pass in favor of forcing passes down field. Let’s face it, he was the one insistant on returning so fast from injury. So he has to take the heat for his subpar play. Perhaps some of his teammates see right through his personality.

13. So far Wentz is proving that if the WR/TE is his best friend, they could expect to be targeted often. Last year, he didn’t care who he passed it to. This season, it mattered to him that Ertz got every pass thrown his way.

14. @@Justin Morris says:
    February 4, 2019 at 1:02 pm
    **********************************************
    Basically he wasn’t MVP so that is not a fact. What is a fact is that Foles was SB-MVP. It’s up for debate which one is better. What isn’t up for debate is this “THE TEAM” responded to Foles more effectively than it did to Wentz. Carson is talented but his whole rush back to the field was self-centered and selfish. He put himself ahead of the team and the team saw it for what it was. Perhaps he was made aware of the talk and proceeded to only throw passes to Ertz (his BFF) no matter if he was covered or not, ignoring easier throws. He was abysmal this season. So you should forget the narrative of what he might have been.

15. @pastabelly says:
    February 4, 2019 at 8:32 am
    ***************
    Sqeezing him for $2 million when they paid him 1/2 of it for an incentive that he did not meet. Not only that, Nick signed the contract presumably it wasn’t at gunpoint. He was about to retire when he was provided the opportunity of a lifetime and cashed in on it.