Troy Aikman regrets declining offer to appear in NFL 100 commercial

NFL

The best commercial that aired during Super Bowl LIII came from the NFL, with an extended ad promoting the upcoming 100th season of the league. The star-studded, pause-it-start-it-pause-it-start-it short film included plenty of current and former players, including Hall of Famer Joe Montana (pictured).

It didn’t include Hall of Famer Troy Aikman. And Aikman now regrets it.

Appearing on KTCK-FM, via the Dallas Morning News, Aikman explained his decision to not participate, a decision he now wishes he had decided differently.

“They shot that commercial the Monday after the Cowboys played the Rams in the divisional game, and so for me to be in that commercial, I was gonna have to stay in Los Angeles another 48 hours, and I just wanted to get home,” Aikman said. “I don’t know why I thought that the commercial was not going to air for another year, for some reason that was in my head. . . . Then when it aired, then I realized it was for this year’s Super Bowl and it was very well done. . . . I thought, ‘You know, I should’ve hung around and done that.'”

Plenty of players did indeed do it, and the finished product becomes the perfect way to set up the year-long celebration to come regarding the centennial season of the greatest sport on the planet.

27 responses to “Troy Aikman regrets declining offer to appear in NFL 100 commercial

1. The star-studded, pause-it-start-it-pause-it-start-it short film included plenty of current and former players, including the GOAT Joe Montana (pictured).

————————————–

FTFY. Awesome commercial by Peter Berg.

2. They’re going to have to make a sequel to the commercial anyways for next year’s super bowl now that Tom Brady just got his 6th ring. Troy Aikman can be in the next one whenever it’s made. Based on the positive feedback it received, they’ll make another one.

3. I know how he feels, I turned it off the first time when I saw Goodell’s face because I assumed it would be more ham fisted social justice propaganda like him giving Maduro a piggy back ride around Lambeau or handing out Super Bowl tickets to MS-13 members. Super Bowl commercials should start with a rating notice regarding how much Goodell they contain.

4. After watching this Super Bore they might need to consider changing the rules so the game is played in a ball room like the commercial. They looked like they were having fun.

5. You live and learn. Respect Aikman for admitting that and sounds like he wanted to get home to family. As for the commercial, it was hilarious and might be one of the funniest sports commercials of all time.

6. sigbouncer says:
    February 6, 2019 at 12:56 pm

————————————–

FTFY. Awesome commercial by Peter Berg.

——————————

Please keep calling Montana the GOAT, Brady needs motivation for 2 more rings.

8 rings would be a nice number to retire on.

7. Excellent commercial but… Hey … Wanting to get home is an excellent reason. Commercials come and go, your kids aren’t young forever.

8. The commercial was great, but I thought the Super Bowl intro by Peyton Manning was outstanding.

9. Well This Is Interesting… says:
    February 6, 2019 at 1:04 pm
    The TV Ad was the Super Bowl and the Super Bowl was a dumper…
    —————-
    Imagine paying $7000 for a Maroon 5 concert and to watch people punt for 3 hours

10. jonathankrobinson424 says:
    February 6, 2019 at 12:55 pm

It was a awesome commercial. I thought it was pretty funny when Brady took off his rings and when Franco scooped down to get the football.

******************

The original version of the ad was two minutes long and it’s fantastic. But the version I’m seeing all the time now is one minute and one of the pieces cut out is the Brady/Baker bit. I wonder who made that decision?

11. Well This Is Interesting… says:
    February 6, 2019 at 1:04 pm
    The TV Ad was the Super Bowl and the Super Bowl was a dumper…
    —————-

12. footballpat says:
    February 6, 2019 at 1:31 pm

Even better was the behind the scenes making of video on NFL Network

****************

Thanks for posting that. I just Googled it and watched it and it was just about as fun as the broadcast ad.

13. mogogo1 says:
    February 6, 2019 at 1:09 pm

————–

I’d would say that last Sunday the Patriots and their fans looked like they were having plenty of fun

14. Meh, it wasn’t even half as good as some of the old United Way ads – such as the Sam Adams one where he’s teaching kids life-saving skills at the pool and destroys the exercise dummy.

15. In a year when the Snoopy Bowl was horrible, the half time show was even worse, and the commercials went beyond putrid, this commercial was the best of the worst. I was surprised at all the praise hyped on the National Anthem performance. It was average at best.

The sooner Troy Barkman disappears, the better.

16. By the way, we are talking a few days more away from your family, not 3 or 6 months. I have a family too so just short sighted on his part.

17. No offense to the commercial, it would be considered excellent under any circumstances, this is more about the rest. When that was the best commercial of the entire super bowl, there is a major problem. The advertisers are sooooo TERRIFIED that they might offend some overly politically correct baby with absolutely no sense of humor that they can’t make funny commercials anymore