Packers hire Luke Butkus as assistant offensive line coach

Getty Images

The last name Butkus is usually associated with the Bears and the defensive side of the ball, but a member of the family will be on the offensive side of a different NFC North coaching staff in 2019.

Green Bay announced that Luke Butkus will be the team’s assistant offensive line coach. He is the nephew of Bears legend and Pro Football Hall of Famer Dick Butkus.

The younger Butkus spent the last three years as the offensive line coach at the University of Illinois, which is where he and his uncle played college football. He’s spent time as a coach with the Jaguars, Seahawks and Bears earlier in his coaching career.

The Packers also announced that former NFL defensive back Rayna Stewart will be the special teams quality control coach. He held the same job at Vanderbilt last year.

29 responses to “Packers hire Luke Butkus as assistant offensive line coach

1. Loved the Adam Stenavich hire for OL coach. Love it more now that I hear that Niners OT Joe Staley is upset that he lost Adam as a coach.

Don’t know a lot about Luke Butkus, but I do like that he has experience as a OL coach in both the NFL and the B1G.

#OneTeamOneNation

#PackerNation!

2. Liberalsruineverything says:
    February 7, 2019 at 12:07 pm

Butkus > Nitschke
    ________________

Yes, I definitely believe Butkus was better too, though when you get right down to it, they were both pretty phenomenal.
    Truly a couple of amazing Linebackers.
    And then there was the 5 Championships that Nitschke helped bring back to Titletown.

3. “Yes, I definately believe Butkus was better”

============

Well, with all due respect, your belief is 100% wrong. I am not the only one who has the belief that Nitschke was the better LB.

The NFL named Ray Nitschke as the best LB of the NFL’s first 50 years, not Butkus.

I’m sure they will do another for the 100 years. Lawrence Taylor may get the nod for the 2nd 50.

4. To the Viking fan… Yep I agree, Butkus was better than Nitschke. Both are in the HOF, but Ray got 5 rings.

5. When Nitschke was asked if any NFL linebackers were better than him, he said “Yeah. Dick Butkus.”

On the other hand, Nitschke played a big role on five championship teams, so…

6. “He just looks like a Packer football coach”

=========

At Illinois he had a big burley beard. Looked even more like he belonged here. Not sure he still rocks the beard, but that stache, as someone said, has Chicago written all over it.

Maybe Aaron can show him how to grow a grown mans Wisconsin stache. It’s a little thin😉

7. freefromwhatyouare says:
    February 7, 2019 at 12:55 pm
    “Yes, I definately believe Butkus was better”
    ============
    NFL Network did a show on the best 100 players of all-time in the NFL in 2010. Butkus was 10th, Nitschke was 47th. Nitschke was a great player, but the general consensus is that Butkus was better, and it’s not really close.

The NFL Hall-of-Fame also had Butkus as the top MLB on it’s 50th anniversary team, ahead of Lanier, Bill George, Nitschke, and others.

In a 2014 poll in the NY Daily News, with a panel including Ernie Accorsi, Gil Brandt, Bill Parcells, Bill Polian, Peter King, they had Butkus in the Top 10, not Nitschke.

I can’t find anything where the National Football League named Nitschke the best LB of the first 50 years.

8. But it would make sense if Nitschke was named the best linebacker for the 50th anniversary team in 1969. Nitschke’s NFL career started in 1958. There is no way the NFL would name a guy with 4 years in the NFL (Butkus) at that point over a well-established player with 10 years in the league whose teams had won multiple championships. Butkus would go on to win 2 Defensive Player of the Year awards, and make 1st team All-Pro four more times after that. You’d be hard-pressed to find any list after 1970 that has Nitschke as the best linebacker over Butkus. They were both great players, but even Ray Nitschke said that Butkus was better. I don’t think Dick Butkus could receive any better compliment than that.

9. Ray was named by the NFL as the best LB of the first 50 years of the league. Before your time little one👌

There were both great, there is no doubt about that, but Ray had more heart and was the better overall player/LB. There was a quote by someone that said “Nitschke played with his heart and Butkus played with his teeth” They were very good friends. Did commercials together.

You are a clown if you are really trying to say that it wasn’t even close between Butkus and Nitschke. I will be checking your IP addy and ignoring you if you are the troll. Which I now think you are.

#TitleTown🏈

#13WorldChampionships

#GoPackGo!🧀

10. freefromwhatyouare says:
    February 7, 2019 at 4:01 pm

—————————————

Grrrrrrrrrrrr! Lol! Butkus >> Nitschke

11. Like I said, Nitschke wasprobably chosen as the best LB of the first 50 years because he was in the league for 10 years and Butkus only for 4 at the time. You most likely won’t find a list after Butkus’ career was over that says Nitschke was better.

I only saw both in their later years. I appreciate that you think Ray Nitschke was the better player and would expect that of most Packers’ fans given the rivalry. If you are old as old as you want to lead one to believe, then you probably watched plenty of Nitscke’s play (and very little of Butkus’). Most Bears’ fans will say that Butkus was better- most Packers’ fans will say Nitschke was better. But it’s pretty clear that the general overall and more objective consensus after the completion of both of their careers was that Butkus was the better football player. And even Green Bay Packer Ray Nitshcke thought that as well and said as much.

12. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    February 7, 2019 at 4:52 pm
    Don’t be fooled. Judging by the content of free’s comments and the extensive use of emojis, it’s clear that he’s between 12 and 17 years old.
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Funny you should say that, because I thought your comments fit someone that would walk around with his sunglasses turned up on top of his head………ready to be “cool” on a moment’s notice.

13. Great hire did you see the Illini’s offensive line’s dominate performance in that narrow 63-0 defeat to Iowa.

14. RMoss84HOF says:
    February 10, 2019 at 10:33 am
    So you think that the Illini’s line was pretty talented and Butkus and didn’t do enough to coach them up? Do you think that’s what is holding back the great skill players of the University of Illinois? Or is it more likely that you know little about the U of I and what Luke Butkus’ coaching abilities are?

15. Frank, nice assumption, but I do know quite a bit about Big Ten schools, as I completed my undergrad at Big Ten university. Here is what I will say about Butkus, he had three years to put together a decent line, and failed. Look around some of the Big Ten Schools like Wisconsin and Iowa (I’ll leave out the big hitters lik OH State) or even look at ND State in the FCS. All these school put together lines with pro-sized guys and send several to the NFL that become standout players. So yes I will say if in the heart of OLineman country you produce a subpar line, then yeah you may not be the greatest at recruiting and coaching.

16. Sorry. I didn’t think that you had gone to college. I don’t know a thing about Butkus’ abilities. I do know that Illinois has had problems for years attracting talent, long before Luke Butkus was there. Comparing that program to Wisconsin, Iowa, and ND is plain stupid. Fact is, I don’t know a thing about Luke Butkus’ coaching abilities, and neither do you. Put it this way- If the Vikings had picked him up, you wouldn’t have been saying the same things. Your point is just to denigrate things that Green Bay does.

17. Really to expect Illinois to be have as good of talent as an FCS school like North Dakota State is stupid? You do understand the differences in talent from FCS to FBS right? So you they shouldn’t expect Butkus to improve to improve the position he coaches over the course of three years? And yes I have criticized the Vikings for many things over the years, most recently the Cousins signing from Day 1.

18. As a die hard member of BisonNation 🤟 I can say we don’t compete with Ohio State or Michigan when it comes to recruiting. But we do win recruiting battles with everyone else. Kids want to come for the high quality program, coaching and trophies. NDSU just signed the Wisconsin High School player of the year and defensive player of the year. The Bison would be upper second tier in any power 5 conference as they stand today. If you add the extra scholarships the FBS would offer it would be interesting.

19. RMoss84HOF says:
    February 11, 2019 at 7:05 pm
    =========================================================================================================================================
    I do- and NDSU is an absolute powerhouse in the FCS, and is an anomaly amongst FCS schools, and I wouldn’t be shocked at all if the U of I has lost players to that school. Illinois’ program has been in a shambles for years- even with a head coach who took an NFL team to a Super Bowl. Do you think that Lovie Smith has forgotten how to put together a defense- or do you think that it’s more likely that they can’t attract top talent?

Ilinois has a really difficult time attracting football talent- they have for years. Being in Champaign, IL doesn’t help. They don’t do well recruiting in the Chicago area for football- Notre Dame, Iowa, and Wisconsin are all more attractive options- and Madison and Notre Dame are closer to Chicago than Champaign. The U of I has never been a great place for offensive linemen. They have had 12 offensive lineman drafted into the NFL since 1990. Must be Luke Butkus fault. By the way, though, with all of that, Illinois had the 2nd best rushing offense in the Big Ten in 2018, and the 12th best in the country. They were last in the Big 10 in 2017. But Butkus had nothing to do with that, right?

20. The Packers have a stable head coach who hires his own staff. Not a lame duck coach in Mike Zimmer. Kubiak hired the Vikings offensive line coach. What a mess.

You know it’s going really bad for them when a Barney is crying about the Packers assistant OL coach. Good luck in your lame duck season in 2019. Perhaps in 2020 you can start on the path to thinking about working towards something positive.

No worries about next year. You are used to epic failure. It’s status quo in Barneyville👌