How will you remember the 2018 NFL season?

Getty Images

The 2018 NFL season has ended. The 2019 season beckons. But before turning the page on the year that was, it’s fair to consider how the league’s 99th season will be remembered.

Big Cat and yours truly took up that topic during Friday’s PFT Live. Check out the video (yeah, we’re trying to get paid) to see what we had to say, and then drop a comment with your own recollections regarding the campaign that ended with the Patriots winning their sixth Super Bowl.

And remember to tune in every weekday for a new edition of PFT Live, which airs from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. ET  on NBC Sports Radio, with the final two hours simulcast on NBCSN.

66 responses to “How will you remember the 2018 NFL season?

1. Pretty much perfect: Rob Parker was humiliated (again). The Steelers sucked. The Colts gave their fans a glimmer of hope and then reverted to form in the playoffs. The Ravens fans bought into Tim Tebow 2.0 until he was exposed in epic fashion in the playoffs. And Kellerman continued his 3 year long anti-Brady rant while the GOAT has gone to 3 consecutive SBs and won 2.

2. 1) Stop underestimating the Patriots.

2) Quarterbacks who can run and throw are the future. These are the last few years of guys who can do only one or the other. As we move toward more college offenses you are not going to see another Manning or Brady dominate this league.

3) Running backs still matter. Look at what happened to the Chiefs and the Rams once they lost theirs.

3. The Refs screwing my team out of a super bowl birth.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How is it the refs fault? Dee Ford was clearly offsides. This wasn’t a judgement call. You had two chances to beat the Pats this year and failed both times. Better luck next year.

4. That the Viking fans celebrated their off-season Superbowl after blowing $84 million guaranteed on Cousins.

Cousins was supposed to get them to the next step and considering the Vikings previously played in the NFC championship game, the next step would be getting to the Superbowl. They didn’t even make the playoffs.

5. jjackwagon says:
    February 8, 2019 at 3:52 pm
    One play that cost the Chiefs a chance at the Superbowl. But Dee Ford was clearly offsides.

Pats had a illegal formation on the same play but I’m not bitter.

6. Saints blew it. They had the lead after the call and blew it. They got the ball in OT first and blew it. That’s what I’ll remember, because Whodats won’t stop talking about it and misrepresenting the end of the game.

7. No team separated from the pack and was consistently dominate so the Patriots took advantage of the rest of the NFL yet again.

8. First time in my 20+ years of watching the Vikings that I was turning off games in the first quarter because I knew they were never going to come back. I had zero expectations for this mediocre team, and they didn’t even meet those.

9. I remember the Super Bowl as a game where neither team should have been there. The Pats got there with another Brady wind burn penalty and many non calls of their overly aggressive CB’s and the Saints had a game stolen from them. I remember a touchdown on an obvious illegal motion penalty against the Chargers and the two bogs calls against the Steelers in the Saints game. I remember it as the year I lost faith in the integrity of the NFL officials.

10. 3rd ring since the Nobel prize winners at the league office claimed Tom Brady used magic to deflate footballs and we were all told how the Patriots would fumble on every play. Bwahaha

11. It was an exciting season, and I think we’re seeing the NFL in transition. Though New England won the Super Bowl, there are some promising younger teams that are poised to fill the vacuum, as Brady creeps closer to the edge. Don’t get me wrong, Brady is still a force, but there are clear signs that age is catching up.

12. 1. Worst Superbowl ever.
    2. Steelers Drama
    3. N.E escaping the afc championship on an overturned call
    4. Goffs terrible performance in SB.
    5. Mahomes played lights out. Gotta Keeper Kc Fans.
    6. OT rules need changing so both teams receive the ball.

13. Watching the Patriots “flip a switch” in the playoffs when everyone had counted them out. An amazing AFC Championship game that was essentially decided by a coin flip and a Super Bowl that matched wits of the master QB and coach vs the up and coming offensive genius coach and QB whom were promptly shown they’re not quite there yet.

14. carloswlassiter says:
    February 8, 2019 at 3:52 pm

——–

Ditto

15. This season just like the past ten seasons…

…. reminds me of Harlem Globetrotters/Washington Generals game.

A whole lot of bogus officiating.

16. primemundo says:
    February 8, 2019 at 4:01 pm
    jjackwagon says:
    February 8, 2019 at 3:52 pm

Pats had a illegal formation on the same play but I’m not bitter.

—————————————————————–

OK, then. Offsetting penalties.
    Replay the down. Interception still wiped out.

17. The Patriots haters singing their theme song: The Tracks of Our Tears.
    Linda Ronstadt looked a helluva lot better singing it.

18. I will remember 2018 as the season that the officiating was so bad that it began to seriously impact my enjoyment of the games and thus my willingness to watch them. The Saints-Rams non-call was the culmination of a season long litany of bad calls, non-calls and arbitrary rule interpretations. At this point, I’m taking a wait and see attitude for next season. If positive changes aren’t made this off season, my 40+ years of watching the NFL may come to an end. The overall product put forth by the NFL in 2018 is not something I’m willing to endure going forward.

19. That the Viking fans celebrated their off-season Superbowl after blowing $84 million guaranteed on Cousins.

Rent free. 24/7

20. – The Bears rolling the dice and making and having the stones to make a big trade, and then parlaying that into a 12-4 season.
    – The majority of posters on websites saying stupid things, being wrong, and then doubling down on them.
    – Bill Belichick and the Patriots chugging along like a durable old machine.
    – Patrick Mahomes
    – The idiocy of football fans who can’t comprehend that officials don’t get multiple close up views at different angles at different speeds and that they have to make their calls rapidly while looking through bodies at field level at real time speed.
    – There’s one idiot WR every year (Antonio Brown this year)

21. Certainly the Super Bowl – great defensive game, the Brady doing what he always seems to do.

Outside of that, I look at the job Chris Ballard and Frank Reich did with the Colts. After all the talk about Andrew Luck not being able to throw a nerf ball he came out and played very well.

22. I’ll remember how my season ended and it’ll be in my mind until it is erased by success. I’ll have that reminder of nausea every time I hear the word DOINK!!!! GD Cody MF Parkey UGHHHHHHHH!

23. – #6
    – When it counts, Defense still matters
    – Mahomes
    – Youth movement – the next generation will be different (as all generations are) but the future looks bright
    – Browns

24. The final straw exposing the National Fixed League for the blatant non call in the Rams-Saints game in Mew Orleans. The league has lost credibility and it just a form of entertainment.

25. Nofoolnodrool says:
    February 8, 2019 at 4:19 pm

So, a good year?

26. Nearly every pass Patrick Mahomes threw. After years of getting our hearts ripped out and stomped flat, it’s a good time to be a Chiefs fan. So FUN to watch.

27. Nofoolnodrool says:
    February 8, 2019 at 4:19 pm

————————————————————————————————————————————–
    “Overly aggressive”? This from the guy who calls Brady “Tammy” and claims the AFC North is the toughest division? LOL.

28. The Patriots defense in the Super Bowl
    Patrick Mahomes
    The non-call in the Saints/Rams game
    Baker Mayfield turning the Browns around
    Leveon Bell sitting out the year
    Antonio Brown not playing in Week 17
    Miami Miracle
    54-51
    Brady and Brees 500 TDs
    Chargers 2-point conversion
    Marvin Lewis finally getting fired
    Brady’s perfect throw to Gronk in the SB

29. Nick Foles winning the last 3 games (2 vs Playoff teams, Rams & Texans) and going into Chicago to win again showing the entire league that being Super Bowl Champs wasn’t a fluke it was about being a team.

30. 2018 was the season that I became less of a fan. I didn’t have the NFL Sunday Ticket for the first time since 1997. The NFL’s corrupt and inept ways have turned me off. I’ll still watch the locally televised games but I don’t follow the NFL during the week anymore. I’ve become a casual fan.

31. The entire team, city, and fans of New Orleans Saints being denied a trip to the Super Bowl by blind referees…

32. All the Mahomes praise is juuuuuust a little premature IMO.

The guy lit it up, threw 50 TDs and won a lot of games. We have no idea what he can do at the critical times. His game tying drive vs NE in the AFC title game included 50 yards worth of questionable PI calls.

He may turn out to be the Goat and win the next 7 SBS, but right now it feels like people anointing the guy busting 450 yard drives in a long drive contest as the great golfer ever. There is obviously more to playing QB than having a great arm, otherwise Jeff George would be the GOAT.

33. One only need to look at the raiders, Captain Kangaroo, and Chuckles. They are unending source of laughs, and just when you think they couldn’t get any worse, they manage to outdo themselves. Thanks Captain Kangaroo, Chuckles “Good pass rushers are hard to find, man” Gruden.

34. you are not going to see another Manning or Brady dominate this league.
    ————————–
    and what league was it that manning ever dominated? his pop warner league? he always choked in the SEC and NFL.