NFL rescinds Jaylon Ferguson’s Combine invitation

Getty Images

Jaylon Ferguson is the NCAA’s all-time leader in sacks, but he won’t be at the Scouting Combine.

Ferguson was initially invited but that invitation has now been rescinded, NFL Media reports.

The impetus behind the NFL’s decision to pull Ferguson’s invitation was a simple battery conviction stemming from a fight during his freshman year at Louisiana Tech. The NFL has a policy banning players from the Combine if they’ve had a history of violent crimes.

Off-field issues are likely to affect Ferguson’s draft stock. Although he’s a very good pass rusher — a position the NFL values highly — that battery conviction isn’t Ferguson’s only red flag. He was also charged with public intoxication in college.

Mississippi State defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons and Colorado State receiver Preston Williams are the other two players ineligible for the Combine because of off-field misconduct.

50 responses to “NFL rescinds Jaylon Ferguson’s Combine invitation

1. Good. I’m all for not allowing guys who screw up like he did to be at the Combine. These athletes need to know they have to pay for their bad behaviors just like everyone else.
    He is in college for an education and as far as I am concerned, discipline and learning to take responsibility for one’s actions definitely have a place in educating young people.

2. So he got into a fight his freshman year, and he once got caught being drunk in public?

If teams think he’s going to make a good pro, I really doubt his draft stock is going to take much of a hit over such relatively small infractions.

3. With all the film the teams have available to those three players who wont be at the combine they will still get drafted if they are deemed good enough.brains and football brawn dont always go hand in hand as we know.

4. Pretty sure non-athletes in college get in fights and are drunk. Doubt it stops any future employment for them. Probably a few doctors, lawyers and politicians in the bunch but hey, hold dudes that play a game to higher standards because…no reason.

5. Lol notice the posters that don’t have a problem with this and the teams they are fans of. The cowboys are well represented lol.

6. You need to check your notes and/or source. Assault isn’t a violent crime. Battery is.

davew128 says:
    Umm, battery isn’t a violent crime. Battery is unwanted touching.

7. The league should get out of the punishment business. First, society doesn’t have a problem with the guy walking the street. Second, there is certain unevenness, to how this punishment works out. Have and can afford good attorney, then charges are likely reduce to nothing.

8. How many of you got drunk and got in a fight in college….difference being the cops either weren’t around or you got lucky and a bouncer threw you out before the cops arrived?

No point in ruining a kids potential career over something they did as a FRESHMAN.

9. Love all the uptight moralizing over kids making kid mistakes. I am sure no one here has ever gone astray. I love the NFL pr department telling kids ” you need not apply ” and days later teams scrambling to see the same athletes at Pro days. Ironic? Is the NFL telling teams to not send their respective scouts? I think we know that answer. NFL = HYPOCRISY.

10. Battery is a criminal offense involving the unlawful physical acting upon a threat, distinct from assault which is the act of creating apprehension of such contact. … In most cases, battery is now governed by statutes, and its severity is determined by the law of the specific jurisdiction.

11. “Umm, battery isn’t a violent crime. Battery is unwanted touching.”
    _________________-

It involves touching, yes. But it can be the kind of “touching” that puts people in the hospital with broken bones, etc. Assault and battery is two acts because the assault is basically the fear and psychological part while battery is seeing that through and physically attacking the person. Thus, some assaults can be verbal-only but assault with battery will always involve physical contact.

12. lets not miss the bigger issue with the NFL and NBA…. an 18 year old HS graduate can willingly take a bullet for their country for peanuts… but that same person cant play in the NBA or NFL until ‘x’ amount of years have passed. Talk about a racket beyond all reason….. God forbid some billionaire owner invest in an 18 year old kid and it not work out. Keep in mind, after taking ‘that bullet’ for their country…. they cant even go out and celebrate living thru it with a cold beer for 3 more years. Society is lost in it’s own idiocy

13. This decision coming from the same league that allowed Leonard Little to remain after three run ins with the law. One of these incidents involved killing a woman while driving under the influence…a bit more serious of a violent crime than simple a battery conviction stemming from a fight. Shame on you NFL.

14. Well. The NFL isnt a punishment business, and the more they try to he a punishment business, the worse they get. 99% of every 16 -19 year old BOY makes mistakes. Its called learning and maturing. Its part of becoming a MAN. Taking this kid away from the combine is stripping him an opportunity to learn and grow. Goddell is turning our professional football league into a circus. Over managing. Over governing.

15. Good news for the Lions if he slips i know a lot of the fanbase including me is clamoring for Ferguson. Would be a good get with one of the 3rds if he slips that far but im guessing he goes late in the 2nd still.

16. The NFL’s hypocrisy on display yet again. Look, the guy is going to be playing in the League this Fall. So what is the point in excluding him for the Combine? It is an utterly meaningless gesture meant to make the League look righteous. Spare us Roger.

17. Hey geniuses, if I grab someone’s arm and refuse to let go for a second or two, that is battery.

It’s amazing what sheep so many people are, to where they read “He was charged with battery and later with public intoxication” and automatically create an image in their head of the person in question as a scumbag criminal, then later tonight they will sit down in front of their TV and watch a movie where they root for a guy who is being wrongfully chased by the authorities and being portrayed in the news as a dangerous criminal on the run.

18. Wow, guess I would have been banned too, fights happen, so does being intoxicated. The guy was a freshman, next the NFL will be banning guys for getting into a fight or two in elementary school.

19. a testosterone filled 19 year old got to a fight? As a 20 year old he got drunk? Sure hope he falls and the Pats pick him up with one of their 523 picks.

20. What a maniac!!! I’m ashamed to admit it, but when I was 19, I too received a ticket for public intoxication. Who could have imagined that I could ever go on to lead a totally normal life!? Let’s just hope this kid can overcome his demons.

21. every teenager has been drunk at one time or another
    every teenager probably has had a fight
    give these kids a break
    they are only kids, going to school, working their tails off
    and most come from a pretty rough background
    hope the Pat’s grab him

22. Wasn’t Baker Mayfield at last yrs Combine after his Arrest? So what’s the differrence? Both had Convictions BUT One plays The Most Important Position In Sports. Oh well it’s nice to know The NFL/Goodell has Tge Publics safety in mind when they make these stupid decisions

23. Agree with above statements, Teams that want this young man will hold private workouts and do their own character evaluations anyway! Combine is just an organized formality of the NFL That is why teams have such elaborate scouting personnel. Not being able to participate in the combine does not adversely affect a player as he is already on some teams radar( player may slide a bit in a round).

24. RBs that can run great,.. QBs that can throw great..WRs that catch the ball and run fast are the same as DE’s that can rush the passer. They WILL get a job in the NFL, period. And they should! In ANY job in the real world if a company tried to penalize you for something you did years ago. They would get sued, and lose.

You don’t have to like what a play did in his past but he as well as any other American citizen in this great country has the right to make a mistake (especially drunk in college, really..it’s college) and grow and learn from it and earn a living. As Jesus Christ said..He without sin can cast the first stone.

25. cruzcowboy says:
    February 13, 2019 at 5:44 pm
    So he got into a fight and got drunk in college? Yeah ban him from the combine. What a joke!

I could thumbs up but I am not allowed to do 5. Great comment, right comment. I get personal conduct but seriously this is going too far. Oh no….drunk in college!!! Oh the humanity….

26. I am in my mid 60’s and I am always amazed at how people today are so much different than people of years ago. The great majority of people in here are defending this kid for getting into a fight and public intoxication, which I don’t understand.
    I wasn’t fortunate enough to go to college (went in the Army) and I have never understood the Animal Hose mentality of people toward college. Why do we accept bad behavior as the norm for college kids? Can someone please explain it to me without resorting to calling me names or labeling me as some sort of tyrant?
    I am asking a serious question because I’d really like to know. I fully understand that young people do crazy things, but that’s not my issue. MY issue is why should they not be held accountable for those actions when they do them? And why is discipline and learning to take responsibility for one’s actions looked down upon by some people? I just don’t get it.

27. I’m 40 years-old and I have never been arrested or charged with a crime, have never used any illegal drugs or smoked, and rarely drink. And I read this and think that a fight and being drunk in college is pretty minor to characterize as “off-field issues.”

28. genericcommenter says:
    February 14, 2019 at 7:44 am

——————————————————————————————

You’re right. These are minor incidents when you compare them to many other things. But that’s not the point. The point is the NFL is 100% right to keep him from the Combine because of these incidents and also to look at these “minor” incidents unfavorably. And in spite of what you say, they are absolutely off the field issues.
    We all know the NFL has had far more bad behavioral incidents by players, coaches, and even owners than they want. The NFL pays players a lot of money and IF “minor” incidents occur to a possible future player while they are in college, it has to set off a red flag.
    The fact is, any player who wants to play in the NFL has to be pretty stupid to get into any trouble while he’s in college. No amount of defending him or dismissing the incidents as “minor” can change that.
    Hopefully, this kid will learn a lesson from messing up a possible invitation to the Combine. If he does, then it is a good thing. If he doesn’t, then he’s even more stupid than he already has been.

29. Wow a college football player drinking and getting into a fight! That means some team will draft him in a lower spot and get a deal and the player gets screwed.

30. nyneal says:
    February 14, 2019 at 6:44 am
    ******************

The whole point of kids growing up is that they make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. The issue people have here I think is mostly that the NFL is trying to appear sincere in their not wanting these “violent” kids in the league – but not inviting them to the combine doesn’t mean a thing, so it’s all for appearance.

Plus, if he was punished by the school or legal system after these things happened, why does the NFL feel the need to re-hash them 4-5 years later? I’m of the mind that everyone deserves a 2nd chance, but not a 3rd. If you do something stupid it could be a mistake and there should be leniency, if you do it again, that’s on you and you should suffer the consequences.

31. I really think the NFL should have an independent body for disciplinary penalties. This has gotten ridiculous. Baker Mayfeild was drunk, ran from the cops, was tackled and arrested and sent to jail. He ends up as the #1 overall pick and the media darling of 2018. This stuff has gotten to the point where it all just appears to be a crap shoot. With NFL executives throwing things to the wall in effort to see what sticks.

32. campcouch says:
    February 13, 2019 at 6:05 pm
    **************************************

Because they are paid a tremendous amount of money and convictions for battery are an indication of poor character. My guess is that battery convictions prevent many people from getting some job offers.

33. Filtering the criminal element out of the game will dilute the overall talent level, but will improve the NFL brand nonetheless. Zero tolerance of felony crimes…permanent ban. High character guys will bring high character results.

34. Here’s my one complaint. Hasn’t this man already been handed a punishment when he originally committed the crime? Teenagers do dumb things. He shouldn’t be excused for that but to punish a person 4 years after he was already punished originally seems nonsensical to me. And on top of all that you’re letting him play in the league. So he can get drafted and play, but no you can’t go to underwear olympics because of something you did 4 years ago.

Should this one bad act follow this guy until the day he dies? He served his punishment – where does it end.

35. thudsp says:
    February 14, 2019 at 9:42 am

—————————————————————————————–

And who screwed him? Answer: He screwed himself!!!! Put the blame on him because that’s where it belongs!! Anyone who doesn’t think so is an enabler.