Antonio Brown uses Twitter as a weapon against Ben Roethlisberger

Getty Images

It may not have escalated quickly, but it definitely has escalated.

Steelers receiver Antonio Brown, whose primary beef in Pittsburgh seems to be directed at quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, has weaponized Brown’s Twitter account. Although Brown has said nothing about Roethlisberger on the official @AB84 account (yet), Brown has used the “like” button in a way that Ben surely won’t like.

At the top of Brown’s “likes” are a pair of tweets posted by the account named @KIP_Music. Both tweets refer to the past allegations of sexual assault against Roethlisberger.

“Pittsburgh Steelers fans be like ‘get rid of [Brown] he hits women’ but be like ‘Big Ben is my hero’.. wait!! Didn’t he rape two college girls,” one of the tweets says.

At a time when Brown clearly wants out of Pittsburgh, it seems even more clear that he’s trying to guarantee that he’ll get his way by burning the bridge with Big Ben. Which could dramatically reduce the possibility that the Steelers will play hardball with Brown.

99 responses to “Antonio Brown uses Twitter as a weapon against Ben Roethlisberger

1. AB being the bigger man, take note GMs of the NFL, sign your difference maker, just be ready for the culture change ( and update your resumes).

2. It’s all about validation for him. Didn’t he get caught with a sock puppet twitter account earlier last month?
    Grow up AB. You are the best WR in the league and you are acting like a 5 year old brat. Be a man.

3. Not going to lie, when I saw that clip where Big Ben asks Brady for a game worn jersey “for his office” I immediately assumed he was going to leave it at one of his crime scenes to confuse the detectives.

4. No sympathy for any man who gets violent with women. Neither of these guys has anything to brag about, but this is getting really bad. Social media is nothing but trouble. Steelers are a hot mess.

5. Not doing himself any favors when it comes to convincing a new team he won’t be a cancer. Great receiver, but not worth the potential headache and money combination. Look at the receivers the Patriots just won the super bowl with.

6. “Could see him playing on the pats next year. Bet he’d be a model citizen too.”

I can’t. I don’t think he’d last a week in the Pats locker room. Nor will they ever pay a receiver the kind of money Brown is getting to its a moot point anyway. Belichick does not value receivers that high up in his cap model.

7. Not a Steelers fan, but if I was them, I would suspend him for as many games as allowed for conduct detrimental to team for bolting the Cin game. Then after that, I would suspend him again for detrimental actions on the possible domestic abuse issue. Then I would do it a 3rd time for offseasson actions. And he would be re-paying the signing bonus due to suspensions.

8. It seems clear that Brown wants another swing at a contract with guaranteed money. At 31 and under contract until 34 that is not very likely at the end of this contract. He wants to be cut outright rather than be traded. That way he can put on the old mask of false personality, say all the right things until a contract is signed and then go right back to being an unflushable turd in a different organization. It would be stupid to sign him but most coaches and GMs think they can “fix” him and have no problem spending other people’s money (owner) if they think there is a chance their team gets better because of his stats.

9. robertgriffintheturd says:
    February 15, 2019 at 2:57 pm
    Didn’t the first rape “victim” tell her coworkers that she and Ben were getting married and that she was pregnant with his child?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Something like that. The first one was unquestionably a money grab and its existence made the second claim seem more credible whether it was true or not.

10. Man, fire everyone. The jersey has more power than everyone. It lives on. When me as a boss gets treated like these players feel they can treat me, i jist get some team friendly players. You cant tell me 1 edelman and 1 witten and 1 fitzgerald arent as good as brown, ben, and bell. You have to factor in drama too. All get paid. Just no drama or mega drama.

11. Say what you like about Roethlisberger, but he made Brown’s career. Without Roethlisberger, Brown would most likely have had nowhere near the success or standing he has received. Only a few QBs in the league can turn receivers into superstars.

And notice how the Super Bowls stopped coming with Brown on the roster.

The only meaningful message in Brown’s tweets is, “To prospective employers: I am incapable of working with others and behaving professionally, and I will publicly embarrass your franchise without hesitation. A contract with me guarantees nothing.” Everything besides that is details.

12. Not a Big Ben fan, he’s an arse but I seem to remember each time Ben went down with injury Brown was virtually non-existent. Unless you can get Brown for next to nothing, I wouldn’t want him on my team. Not if you have to trade a lot AND pay him 23 mil a year to be an over rated diva. No thanks. JuJu just sky rocketed in fantasy leagues though !

13. The more he talks,…. the fewer GM’s will want a malcontent in their locker room.
    Keep Talking AB. I’m looking forward to investing in Kleenex stock. You’ll be crying the blues when no team wants to touch you. I suppose then you’ll call it collusion.
    Disgusting !

14. Brown officially has crossed over the bridge. For a player so consumed with throwing blame every way but towards himself is typical of Brown. Social media continues to be his downfall as he continues to look bad.

15. @steelcurtainn

He is well on his way to 31. He is never growing up, unless he signs with New England for the veteran minimum plus incentives next season.

16. I don’t know. I’m a Patriots fan, but I never had a problem with BB. He always shows Brady and the team respect and he doesn’t cause trouble. Plus he has the same initials as Belichick.

17. I repeat, Antonio Brown looks more and more ignorant with each passing moment. he’s basking in the attention he’s getting thinks he looks brave taking a stand against the team that drafted him and made him a multi-millionaire oh how cool he is! actually he looks like the person who does a backflip and doesn’t realize they also ripped their pants.

18. FinFan68 says:
    February 15, 2019 at 3:07 pm
    robertgriffintheturd says:
    February 15, 2019 at 2:57 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

=========================================

funny. same thing happened to winston but he got crucified. no proof to the first story money grab. girl was affectionate with him visibly after the supposed infraction date, then some uber driver settles for chump change for confidentiality. guess the moral to the story is, if youre gonna rape and abuse women, make sure youre a steeler bc then it will be ok with their fan base, as long as you play good ball.

19. thejetssuck2001 says:
    February 15, 2019 at 5:15 pm

funny. same thing happened to winston but he got crucified.

==============

If by “crucified”, you mean continuing to be paid millions of dollars to be the team’s starting QB, then yes.

20. Talk about two kettles with too much time on their hands. I can’t really blame brown for calling out the double standard. The fans blame Antonio brown for not making the playoffs. The Steelers can only blame themselves. They stuck with big Ben after having a moral responsibility not to do so. Now they have a diva, and are choosing to side with a rapist. They lost control. The coach has no authority, the players are lost. Blow it up.

21. Judging from the comments above the Life Guard at the shallow end of the gene pool is having a very easy day. Brown is still a little girl never having grown up. Ben on the other hand made his mistakes was accused and never convicted growing up now with a wife and a family…..is an adult …like able or not.

22. And the dumpster fire at the convergence of the Ohio, Allegheny and the Monongahela rages on…

Someone start the clock on Tomlin – he’s done!

23. Classic case the WR thinking he’s better than the QB. One only needs to look further than one Gregg Jennings, who thought HE made the QB look good, not the other way around. He and his crazy sister burned the bridges in Green Bay on his way to Minnesota. Instead of catching balls in full stride right on his his hands every time from Aaron Rodgers, he was watching balls sail over his head, behind him, bounce in front of him, or to the corners. Let this be a lesson to diva cancer receivers. You’re overrated.

24. I know it will never happen, but since the Steelers only save $1 million cap space by moving on from Brown I would keep him on the team, suspend and fine him for every team infraction, and if he isn’t a model citizen, make him inactive for game day.

They could even go so far as to tell him not to show up at the team facilities. Take away his fame. Take away his stats. And take back as much money as you can.

Do you really think that if Brown is left to his own devices for the season that he won’t do something stupid enough for the team to suspend him without pay for the rest of the season?

25. Big Ben was acquitted of rape charges. Otherwise he would have been sitting behind bars instead of playing quarterback all these years. Antonio Brown shows that he has no respect for the legal system. Using the same standard of guilty when accused, Brown would be guilty of domestic violence simply because he was accused.

26. omeimontis says:
    February 15, 2019 at 6:41 pm

0 1 Rate This

———————

the security footage in the bar was mysteriously destroyed

paying off the victim and the local DA is not being “acquitted” of anything

Ray Lewis was “acquitted” too. lol

27. AB better hope he lands somewhere with a true ‘franchise-quality’ QB tossin’ him footballs.

Without Ben all these years – his stats wouldn’t even be close to what they have been..

28. What gonna end up happening since his trade value is plummeting, is he’s gonna end up staying in Pittsburgh and will be docked game checks if he doesn’t show up AND perform

29. kenberthiaume says:
    February 15, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Could see him playing on the pats next year. Bet he’d be a model citizen too.

_______________________________________

There’s no way they would pay him what he wants or put up with his crap.

30. Seen a couple of “Ben was acquitted ” statements.
    Ben was never charged.
    The one in Colorado was a nut job and the one is Georgia, well that was just strange how all of a sudden she did not want to corporate.

I’m not saying the Ben was/is a nice guy but it is a long way from being just a jerk to a sexual predator.

31. Don’t worry Mike Tomlinson will quote a fortune cookie in his next press conference and all will be well.

I always liked him but it’s become apparent he’s all hat, no cowboy.

32. after those comments about Ben the guy has shown he’s real trash with a helmet size IQ.

Please Pittsbugh find a way to get the most for him and dump him!!

33. AB is hands down the biggest jerk in the league. Seems to be some truth in the rumor that he’s blown through all of his guaranteed money and is angling for more up front money from a different team.

Face it, without Ben, Brown doesn’t even come close to getting the stats that he has.

If I’m Rooney, he doesn’t go anywhere but Pittsburgh. And he sits and he’s suspended and he sits some more. He would be taught the lesson he should have learned years ago. If he doesn’t step up and do the right things he would sit and at the end of his three year contract, no one would remember who Antonio Brown was.

34. I would personally sit on his rights the next 3 years and if he returns and causes a headache, suspend him for team detrimental and suspend him without pay. Would turn a a HOF career into a mediocre one fast. What a toddler.

35. harrisonhits2 says:
    ——————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Yeah…when Randy Moss was there he was playing for peanuts. Oh, wait…no he wasn’t. Pats’ll pay WR’s if they’re good enough, they just don’t have to b/c hoodie makes it work with whatever random white dudes that can catch he stumbles across.

36. Well, this will definitely have to be taken account when I’m armchair drafting my fantasy football team next year. A Brown receiver has officially dropped to round 2 on my board.

37. Sitting back with my popcorn, thoroughly enjoying the destruction of the Steelers. Don’t mind me. Btw, I’m with team Brown. He may be a diva, but I’ll take a diva over a total d-bag rapist (Ben). Talk to anyone from around Miami U about what kind of person Ben is.

38. Wow, I’m so confused.
    Don’t know what to think.
    Who’s the worse, Ben or Brown?
    Guess I’ll just have to wait for Trippy to tell me.
    Sigh.

39. Sitting back with my popcorn, thoroughly enjoying the destruction of the Steelers. Don’t mind me. Btw, I’m with team Brown. He may be a diva, but I’ll take a diva over a total d-bag rapist (Ben). Talk to anyone from around Miami U about what kind of person Ben is.

4 3

So your logic is once a jerk always a jerk? Come on sonny you were probably a fouled mouthed little jerk in your youth judging from your rather limited intelligence displayed by your comment. Ben is an accused rapist….I know you only read the first paragraph of everything and ignorant the facts that don’t support your narrative, and you are judging a person having turned their life around…..rich very rich indeed.

40. Anyone talking Patriots, the Steelers already said they’ll trade AB anywhere but another AFC North team, or the Patriots. Giants could be willing to deal OBJ to NE, out of the conference, but AB will not be here. And I for one an fine with that.

41. shadywarrior says:
    February 16, 2019 at 11:52 am

______________________________________________

Yeah,the Patriots are definitely out because the Steelers couldn’t bear to see AB with a Super Bowl ring.

42. I don’t like the Pats, but have great respect for the organization. Can’t imagine Belichick would want Brown, for a variety of reasons. Brown is a great receiver, but (obviously) the Pats don’t need him. And the thing I respect most about the Patriots is that they don’t air their stuff in public. At this point, Brown seems unable to just shut up, even when it’s in his best interest to do so. (Heaven help his poor agent.) Can’t imagine why the Pats would want that drama. In all honesty, I think the “rivalry” here is more in the minds of the Steelers team than the Patriots. The Steelers are a good organizations and have been consistently competitive for many years, but haven’t been a dynasty since the 70s. And whether we like it or not, the Pats have no serious rivals.