Tom Brady rookie card fetches record $400,100 at auction

Getty Images

Tom Brady has set another NFL record: Most expensive football card.

A card featuring Brady as a rookie sold for $400,100, the highest price ever for a football card, according to ESPN.

The card was part of the 2000 Playoff Contenders Championship Ticket collection, which produced only 100 such cards. The individual card that was sold in this auction is in mint condition, considered the highest quality of those 100 cards.

“This auction event featured the finest football card we’ve brokered in our 20-year history and achieved the highest-ever hammer price for a football card,” said Brett Huigens, CEO of the auction house that handled the sale. “We were honored to present this asset to the public and are delighted for the new owner.”

The football card market has never been as robust as the baseball card market; several baseball cards have fetched more than $500,000 at auction, including the famous T206 Honus Wagner card that sold for $3.12 million in October of 2016.

34 responses to “Tom Brady rookie card fetches record $400,100 at auction

1. Believe it or not I saw this auction live on eBay yesterday when the bidding was around $200k based on like 120 bids, and couldn’t believe it. There were other listings for what looked to be the same card for like $40, with the reduction based mostly on the condition of the card. Personally I’d rather have the $40 one in poor condition due to damage from a generation of hater tears.

2. Damn, that’s a lot for a Tom Brady rookie card.

I have 3 Topps Chrome Aaron Rodgers rookie cards. Not selling them, but I may sell one someday if the price gets north of 400,000.

Let’s get another Super Bowl win for Aaron this upcoming season and then we will see where we are at.

#GoPackGo!🏈☝️

3. It’s funny because New England was far from a playoff contender when that card was made. Why was Brady even included in such a set anyway?

4. Brady’s rookies are a perfect storm in collecting rarity and demand ! I have some nice ones put away.

5. weepingjebus says:
    February 26, 2019 at 3:41 pm

——————————————————–

This is fake news. A dog chewed version of the $400K one would still sell for thousands, there were only one hundred made. The $40 one was probably a reprint, and not worth 40 cents.

Sports cards, particularly low serial numbered and graded high, are like artwork to collectors and fetch big money. There is a much larger market for this stuff than the average Joe realizes.

6. 8oneanddones says:
    February 26, 2019 at 4:04 pm
    It’s funny because New England was far from a playoff contender when that card was made. Why was Brady even included in such a set anyway. Do you watch football the pats had just played in a sb in 1996 they were building the dynasty you see before you today.

7. freefromwhatyouare says:
    February 26, 2019 at 3:44 pm
    Damn, that’s a lot for a Tom Brady rookie card.

#GoPackGo!🏈☝️
    ————————————————————-

As a Packer fan, I’m sorry to tell another fellow fan sad news but as good as Rodgers is (and HOFer), his cards will never fetch even close to $400k unless Rodgers win out his career with a SB each year.

8. freefromwhatyouare says:
    February 26, 2019 at 3:44 pm
    Damn, that’s a lot for a Tom Brady rookie card.

#GoPackGo!🏈☝️

Um, sell them now chief. If you haven’t noticed Aaron/Erin is in decline lately, only to get worse with age.

9. If Drew Bledsoe didn’t get hurt, Tom Brady probably would have hung around on the roster for a season or two, and then been cut. Since no team, including the Patriots, thought he was worth a 5th round draft choice, I doubt that any other team would have even picked him up.

10. Condition/Grade is huge on cards. You would be surprised what I have been offered for some of my cards when I let a collector down in my Sports/Music Cave.

Had a guy offer me a crazy price for a Bart Starr 1957 Topps RC about 3 weeks ago. They get wide eyed when they see the condition of my stuff.

I don’t sell much of my Packer, Badgers, Bucks, Brewers memorabilia though. I do sell some of the random memorabilia I have though.

11. “Sports cards, particularly low serial numbered and graded high, are like artwork to collectors and fetch big money.”

12. It’s hard for me to believe there are people who are stupid enough to regard a piece of cardboard with a photograph on it as artwork worth $400K.
    =====

Can you imagine having that much disposable income?

.. course, its eBay. Who knows if the buyer will actually pay up.

13. charliecharger says:
    February 26, 2019 at 4:53 pm
    ——————-
    Salty nonsense. Drafted as a 4th QB in 2000, by the end of the season Brady had outcompeted the other 2 backups. The “only” reasons Bledsoe was still starter in wk1 2001 was he was the 1993 overall #1 draft pick, already a 2-time pro-bowler and already taken the Pats to 3 postseasons and a Super Bowl, and in March 2001 had just signed what was for the time a record-breaking 10yr contract north of $100M.

14. I loved it in the SB a few years ago when Russell Wilson threw the losing INT and the Seahawks had a childish meltdown. Did you all see the replay of Butler wiping that arrogant smirk off Sherman’s face and turning it into tears? That was funny. And when those 2 SEA clowns ganged up on Gronk only to both get body slammed by him? That was even funnier.

15. And that card should be required to have a huge asterisk placed on it to remind people that the guy committed professional malfeasance by cheating during his career. He is nothing short of a joke. But hey, I don’t root for his team or his randy owner.

16. The card was actually purchased by the Buffalo Bills.
    “It’s as close as we’ll come to a Championship as long as Brady is still playing,” said the Bills’ owner.

17. The comments about the pats being a terrible team before Brady goes to show that fans of a lot of teams don’t know anything about the nfl before Brady, not just some pats fans lol….

18. \Clearly, someone had WAY to much money to spend. Kind of puts last year’s “tax break for the rich” in perspective. It didn’t create any jobs, just people who now have even MORE money to spend on the ridiculous extravagances.

19. usdcoyotesfan says:
    February 26, 2019 at 6:40 pm

——————————————–

You know, as a Super Pats fan I thought none of that. I was thrilled they won and had nothing but a TON of respect for Seattle and it’s great D- made the win, and Brady’s performance mean even more. I may not like some players, but I can certainly respect their talent, and for several years Sherman was a great CB.

20. Since no team, including the Patriots, thought he was worth a 5th round draft choice, I doubt that any other team would have even picked him up.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except Bill Polian who supposedly had a first round grade on Brady that year…..just ask him

21. Great career. He should really retire when he’s on top – but few great athletes do.

People said the same thing two years ago after they won against Atlanta, then he came back and was league MVP and took the Pats to the SB. People said the same thing last year and he wins another SB. Eventually he will step away….but he is still a top 4-5 QB in the league. He should continue to play.

22. Understand that for some folks, it isn’t even about WHAT the item is – it’s more about it’s rarity. They want things with the knowledge that nobody else (or very few people) have it. And, of course, they buy for investment purposes, although I don’t have a clue what the ceiling is for this card – can it go much higher? Price is set by demand – if 2 people with deep pockets want something badly enough, somebody is making some bank.

23. charliecharger says:
    February 26, 2019 at 4:53 pm

Actually there was reason to believe that Bledsoe was losing his job to Brady regardless. Brady was a much better fit for what Bill and CW wanted to do on offense, and more coachable.

It was only a matter of time.

24. senileoldfart says:

February 26, 2019 at 5:01 pm

————————-

You’ve obviously never had the card collecting fever. It’s addictive. I started collecting in the 70’s when I was 7. I would use allowance money to buy packs at the corner store and then as I got older I would tag along and go to yard sales, flea markets, etc. It’s an adrenaline rush. I built myself quite the collection (had Mantle, Mays, Koufax, etc) and sold it about 3 years ago for a nice sum. Just reading about the card gives me the itch to get back into it.