Antonio Brown: Ben threw to a defensive lineman and blamed my route

Getty Images

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown says a key moment in his deteriorating relationship with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger came when Roethlisberger threw a game-sealing interception in Denver in November.

With the Steelers trailing 24-17 late in the fourth quarter, Roethlisberger threw a pass intended for Brown in the end zone. But Broncos defensive tackle Shelby Harris grabbed it. Brown said on The Shop on HBO that was a bad pass by Roethlisberger, who refused to take the blame on himself and instead shifted it to Brown.

“You know, all you have to go do is call me out, we lose the game, he’s like, damn, AB should have ran a better route,” Brown said. “The type of guy he is. He feels like he’s the owner. Bro, you threw the s–t to the D-lineman! What the f–k? I’m over here wide open! You need to give me a better ball! But it’s like in the league, you’re going to have a guy from the team that’ll be like, boy, you can’t say nothing. I need you to get out there like, but it’s like why I got to be acting? At least ask a … ask a n—-r how he feels first. Right or wrong. Right? Then if it don’t matter how I feel, then f–k it then, why am I here, you know what I’m saying?”

Roethlisberger did criticize Brown’s route-running afterward and say that the Steelers should have run a play for JuJu Smith-Schuster instead. More than three months later, that still stings Brown.

82 responses to “Antonio Brown: Ben threw to a defensive lineman and blamed my route

1. He’s just making excuses at this point.
    Regurgitating all of the perceived reasons by the media on why he didn’t play in week 17.

Anybody with eyes knows Ben threw a horrendous ball on that play.

Brown just wants out, and he has for some time.

2. Roethlisberger should have taken the blame on that play, whether the pattern needed to be flatter or not. But I seem to remember AB throwing his hands in the air, tossing over a gatorade bucket and skipping practice the next day – all because his QB didn’t see him on a pass route. I also remember Roethlisberger publicly defending AB after his two AWOL’s this past season.
    AB seems to have a pretty selective memory. Hopefully he’ll grow up a little wherever he ends up. QB’s shouldn’t criticize receivers publicly. But receivers also can’t act out on the field when they’re missed on routes or when a bad pass is thrown.

3. I’m no AB fan at all. But Ben is a cancer on that team also. I blame Tomlin and the whole front office for this mess. What a disaster.

4. But michaelcee….
    You keep thinking it’s about one play but anyone that’s ever been in a dispute that hit a boiling point know there many many things that occurred before that situation so saying Brown is throwing away his career over one play is a failure to recognize that fact. And you yourself acknowledge that everyone who saw that play knew it was obviously Ben’s fault which proves Brown’s point even more. If Ben is blaming other players for mistakes that are obviously his that means he was blaming other players for almost anything that went wrong while other leaders are publicly taking blame for their team’s mistakes even those that weren’t on them.

5. AB is a tiny man and wants a new deal. He doesnt want to wait till he his 33 to get a new deal because no one is giving a 33 year old wr big money. Cant wait till Ben signs his extension and AB starts crying

6. He hasn’t been wrong about Ben. Colbert made it pretty clear Ben has a different set of rules. But dang, for a guy trying to get traded and have teams want him, you’d think he’d just shut up. Isn’t it common sense? Honestly, neither Brown or Roethlisberger are especially likable. But Brown is just plain ignorant. I wonder where he would have ended up had he not been athletic and able to play sports. I saw three entire staff’s quit at a few Sonic’s in Ohio. My guess is he’d be applying for one of those openings right about now.

7. I don’t condone any of AB’s horrendous, childlike behavior the last couple months, but its become pretty clear he is not the only problem in Pittsburgh

8. Brown is right it was a poor throw by Ben but it was a poor decision not just execution. Brown was not open on the play. Shelby Harris made a nice play (after being out of position) but even if it gets by him Roby (I think) was in perfect underneath coverage and would have intercepted or at least knocked down the pass. If you’re gonna call someone out in media for calling you out in media at least get your facts straight while trying to ignore the irony.

9. What I find curious in all of this, is that Big Ben has not said a word….by his silence is he saying Brown is right and that he is not man enough to tell the truth….

10. I don’t really think he’s making excuses. Big Ben is known for throwing anyone and anybody under the bus and not holding himself accountable. Hell, if Tomlin actually coached and did his job instead of lose control of that situation, he should of stopped that right then and there and made sure they were on the same page.

11. The rest of AB’s career will be nothing close to what it’s been with Ben in Pittsburgh. You’re lying to yourself if you think otherwise!

12. When I was in junior high school, the captain of the track team (kind of a jerk, but a very good runner) blamed me for a bad exchange in a relay race we lost. It was clearly his fault, but since I had the maturity of a 13 year old, I let it go and moved on with life. Maybe Mr. Brown could show some grown-up maturity and just move on. Stop pouting like a kid.

13. Oh God I hate to side with Antonio Brown here but he’s right in this case. Ben is a Grade A douche!

14. Maybe Ben had to force a a throw through a tight window because the route was wrong…or maybe not…who cartes…you’re getting traded and this whole thing reeks of bad behavior.

15. For 20 million a season, Ben would throw his mother under a bus. It’s never about Ben stinking up the place, it’s everybody else.

16. You NEVER hear QB’s publicly throw their WR’s under the bus, and then there’s Ben. He did it all year last year and has done so in the past as well. I don’t get it. Handle things internally. Brown is a diva, but Ben is just as much of one.

17. The guy is a multi-millionaire, gets many crazy privileges himself, has gotten in trouble more often this past year, but is so butt-hurt about some comments that he blows up his relationship with the team? Not saying Ben is right or wrong, but Brown cannot act like this. He should have been the bigger man, but I guess that is the fallacy right there.

18. No respect for a person that now wants to use the language of n–r in his tweets. Brown never mentions as many in Pittsburgh know how bad some of his routes in end zone were, Go and stop to many times. Brown never mentions his drops, or games he never got open. Never mentions how Tomlin allowed him to do as he pleased as other team mates were held accountable. This is Brown’s words of Ben and so far he has blamed everyone but himself, he is the one that sounds like James.

19. jgreiner9 says:
    March 2, 2019 at 8:01 am

____________________________

Nope. I’m not say BR is a saint, and has never said something that maybe he shouldn’t have said. But the part about him never calling himself out is just plain wrong.

20. Good Lord, he can’t keep his mouth shut. After seeing the way he acts, all while trying to get what he wants, how could anyone deal with his attitude? Add that to the all the other nonsense he’s been saying and doing lately, and he’s made himself very difficult to move.

BR is absolutely no different than he was when Brown signed his last big deal, you know, the last one he will ever have a chance of seeing with big guarantees unless he tries to force himself to another team NOW. For some reason he must think he gets a new contract if he traded. *Insert Mr. Big Chest video. $$s are the real reason he wants out.

21. I work with someone like that (Ben). She never likes being wrong, like most people, but will argue a stupid point to the end. Big Chest, has to be quicker with retorts like what difference between route or receiver make when my 6-5 quarterback can’t get it pass the defensive lineman. Upload video to Instagram and be like Ben is right, next time , I promise to be open by 20 yards instead of 10

22. To deuce 54:
    Ben’s silence doesn’t confirm that AB is right. It proves that he is more of a man and has enough respect for the Steelers not to air the dirty laundry in a public “pissing” match. Ben and AB have had a very close relationship for nine years. If AB had a problem, he should have taken it up with Ben. Furthermore, after a loss, Ben has blamed himself FIRST. If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

23. Patsareinyourheads says:
    March 2, 2019 at 7:20 am
    Ben threw a perfect, clutch pass. That’s how he saw it.

————————
    On the linked replay AB’s route is not above question. Possibly should have been flatter, certainly hadn’t gotten himself open. (Credit the db for playing the route really well) But Ben should have thrown that one away and tried again on fourth down. Or possibly held it another second or two to see if Brown could ditch his coverage. His blockers had crushed (crushed!) the pass rush so he had the time to slow down and give it a chance before throwing away. What he did instead was very ill advised it look like a panic move. He made that same mistake against the Patriots in that game they all blamed in the refs, perhaps blaming himself instead would have caused him to learn. But also Tom Brady made the same mistake against the Chiefs in the AFCCG last year, but Brady owned it and fixed it. I cite those examples because I think the example of Wilson vs the Pats cited in this thread was a slightly different mistake. (That Wilson still owned, didn’t blame others)

24. We find out which player the Steelers value more. Big Ben is about to get a contract extension and Brown is being shopped around for a possible trade.

25. jtm12180 says:

March 2, 2019 at 8:02 am

——–
    Well Brown is on the downside of his career so that’s an obvious statement. The rest of Browns career even if he stayed in Pittsburgh wouldn’t match up with what he’s done so far. That’s father time, if not for Brady father time would still be undefeated.

26. Roethlisberger should have thrown that away. If the DLman didn’t intercept it, Robey, who had Brown covered with inside leverage, would have picked it off. A good defensive call and a play that just wasn’t there.

27. You NEVER hear QB’s publicly throw their WR’s under the bus, and then there’s Ben. He did it all year last year and has done so in the past as well. I don’t get it. Handle things internally. Brown is a diva, but Ben is just as much of one.

Do you know if Ben went to AB first and talked about only to be ignored to the detriment of the team. His only recourse after that would then be to expose the the fool AB has become. Ben takes the blame publicly for his play…..AB……never.

28. So you are right and Ben is wrong? So why did the other players say you ran the wrong route?

29. Roethlisberger should have thrown that away. If the DLman didn’t intercept it, Robey, who had Brown covered with inside leverage, would have picked it off. A good defensive call and a play that just wasn’t there.

Hanks Capt.20=20 hindsight for the mesmerizing regurgitation of the play. But you don’t know that would be the outcome…..but thanks for the BS.

30. 1st thing I wanna say this…LIKE What in the hell LIKE did AB say?!? Bc LIKE no AB i have LIKE no idea what you saying. And yes it was a terrible throw, and he coulda shouldered some of that blame. The route was a little too deep as well, shoulda been flatter. AB coulda manned up on that. Thats what men do. Thats what teams do. Win and lose together as a singular unit. Bens definitely wrong for publicly calling AB out. But AB and WR’S general usually call their QBs and or OCs on a WEEKLY basis. Just not verbally, but instead with body language temper tantrums either on the field or sideline. And thats just as wrong. I willing to bet ABs done it too many times to Ben and Ben had enough and went on the fan and trashed that diva brown. Ultimately its Tomlin and the front office to blame for not doing their jobs. Pulling the reins and showing leadership

31. Like I said, Roethlisberger is the number one reason this team hasn’t won anything. Brown is a headache, but that has nothing to do with Roethlisberger being a terrible leader. He just gave you a concrete example of it, and I don’t blame him for being upset about it.

32. Nofoolnodrool says:
    March 2, 2019 at 10:17 am

—————————
    What BS? That was the likely enough outcome that its a no brainer he should have thrown it away. Even I could that while I watched the replay unfold for the first time (not just some hindsight thing) and I do like to that Roethlesberger’s skills are greater than my own. Should be anyhow. Mine stink.

33. AB likes talking even to his own detriment. Shouldn’t be a surprise since he’s getting advice from T.O. LOL. What a dolt….both of them.

34. “Really, you’re going to give up an mvp career over a bad game and a bad loss. One play.”

Do you not know what an example is?

35. I know most are not going to, but I just went back and listened, again, to the 20 minute radio show. Again, I’m not saying BR is a saint by any stretch of the imagination, but I’m sorry, if any of those guys got mad at what was said on there, they need to grow up. BR said he should have done some things differently, maybe put too much or not enough on the ball at times, whatever. He also said AB was one of the best in the business, and he was always going to give him a chance to make plays. He named some other guys that had a great game, not himself. So AB, give it a rest.

36. Wow – whenever I think my team (the Bills) might be dysfunctional, I’ll remember the Steelers having their superstar RB and WR quitting on them, and feel a lot better.

37. Nofool you’re hilarious. Anyone with even half a brain can see that the play just wasn’t there. It didn’t matter if Brown was covered or not Ben threw it right to the defensive lineman. End of story. You can spin it however you want but it’s not going to change the fact that Ben made the mistake on this play and everything Brown said about it was true. Roethlisberger is the one that cost them the game and then he came out and instead of owning up to his mistake he blamed Brown instead. No matter how much bitching you do nothing can change the fact that a QB should never do that publicly. Ever. If you wanna see a real leader go listen to Brady after a loss. Never once has he ever called out a teammate and he’s the first one to say that he didn’t play well enough to win. That’s a REAL leader

38. @boys03

TB doesn’t need to call out his teammates, Gisele does it for him. Lol

Look, I’m only kidding with that, but she did rip them pretty good. BR could have handled it differently, but this thing with Brown has zero to do with BRs comments, and everything to do with money. (Imo) All you have to do is watch the Mr. Big Chest video.

I may have missed it, but has any interviewer asked him to explain that “I don’t want no un-guaranteed contracts” nonsense?

39. Not a fan of current players having radio shows. It may work out for some, but Roethlisberger has always been a lightning rod for controversy and this isn’t the first time his comments have caused problems. Ben routinely takes blame for poor play and shares credit for good play during post-game television interviews. But give him time to ramble on the radio, and he’s liable to run off script to the detriment of himself and the team.

That said, Ben’s singular comment about Brown’s route-running in one game is not responsible for Brown’s self-destruction. Long before Ben that incident, Brown was repeatedly defying the NFL and drawing flags for his egocentric TD dances and uniform violations, filming and posting private locker room moments, and throwing tantrums on the sidelines. His continual violation of team rules had nothing to do with Roethlisberger. Somehow, he seems to think the more he blames Ben, the more his stock will go up. I wouldn’t bet on it.

40. Brown is 100% on target with that interception. Big Ben is big and strong, with a strong arm, but he will never be a good game manager, regardless of how much talent he has around him. Ben has 1/2 the football I.Q. of Tom Brady. Sad but true.

41. Nofoolnodrool says:
    March 2, 2019 at 12:24 pm
    That’s a REAL leader

Nah that’s a convicted and punished CHEATER…….

———

You must be speaking about Mike Tomlin. And I do agree. What he did was the worst display of sportsmanship ever witnessed in the NFL.

42. As a Ravens fan, the unfolding dumpster fire in Pittsburgh pleases me beyond words. Watching the Browns beat the Steelers twice a year is gonna be sweet. I hope Mike Tomlin is given a long contract extension.

43. For the youngsters out there that may have missed the infamous career of Terrell Owens, you’re seeing a carbon copy with Antonio Brown. The Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger are just Act I. Keep watching. There are more acts to follow. The teams and QB’s will be different, but the act will be the same. Just like with Owens, it took a while with his first team, the 49ers, but the next several teams got the treatment right away. Whoever signs Brown will be the NFL’s number one choice to appear on Hard Knocks..

44. Bye AB, never thought I hear you complain this much. It’s a game things happen. Your best bet is shut up and move on. You don’t see Big Ben complaining after the season.

45. SWFLPC.INC says:
    March 2, 2019 at 12:39 pm

=============================

I have to agree with you there, that was an embarrassment. Not exactly sure if it’s the worst, but it’s close. I have nothing personally against Tomlin, but sometimes I think the Steelers win inspite of him.

46. Love how Little Ben is getting owned more and more everyday. We’re witnessing NFL history—the complete and total takedown of a once storied franchise now mired in scandal and incompetency.

47. Brown is not ‘self destructing’. He’s shooting his way out of town and will get a bigger contract.

48. Brown was responsible for the first interception in that game clearly and he did not even try to tackle the defender. That was the play where Ben yelled at him and it was on camera.

49. Good to see the Little Ben FanBoys are here to defend his every word. Such blind loyalty will guarantee you a spot watching your team make a permanent home in the AFCN basement.