Report: Patriots will release Dwayne Allen

Getty Images

The Patriots have informed tight end Dwayne Allen they are releasing him, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

New England has interest in signing him back for less money, but Allen will become a free agent.

Allen, 29, was scheduled to make $6.4 million in base salary and count $7.3 million against the salary cap this year. His release saves the Patriots $7.3 million against their cap.

He played 13 games, with eight starts, and made only three catches for 27 yards.

In two seasons with New England, Allen made 13 catches for 113 yards and a touchdown.

33 responses to “Report: Patriots will release Dwayne Allen

1. Guy didn’t catch a lot, couldn’t really replace Gronk, but who can? Was a stud in the running game, though, and from all accounts worked hard and was a good fit for their system. Hope they resign him, he’s a good example of an under the radar depth player in NE.

2. Not worth his contract He couldn’t get in sync with brady but is serviceable in the run game. Wish him all the best for being part of championship engine that is the patriots.

3. Next year’s Pats team will look very different from this past year’s.

BB is a master at reinventing teams, and deserves the benefit of the doubt. But this last SB felt like a swan song to me. Brady will be 42, and there is a lot if young talent ready to make some noise in the AFC.

I think it will be a long, long time before #7.

4. True or false: Saving cap room to pay for Antonio Brown?

That would be such Belichickian move, just like signing James Harrison was. And Mike Vrabel too, for that matter.

5. “True or false: Saving cap room to pay for Antonio Brown?”

Absolutely false. The Pats will never, under any circumstances, pay Brown anything approaching the kind of money he gets paid on his current contract or the one he wants to get with a new team.

Belichick’s cap model simply does not value receivers as being worth that much.

As to Allen, he was brought in to be a pass catching TE and never did much catching. Great blocker and has excellent value in the run game, but the rare times he caught a pass I was always like “Wow, a Dwayne Allen sighting”.

He knows the system well and is probably worth about 2 mil a year to the Pats. And may well be back at that kind of money because I don’t think any other team is going to give him much more than that.

6. Gronk back. Also, they may like enough of steve anderson to keep him.

Allen was a good blocker but Brady did his annoying circle of trust crap with him. Good thing they won it all. Thanks Dwayne.

7. clashpoint says:
    March 2, 2019 at 1:21 pm
    True or false: Saving cap room to pay for Antonio Brown?

So you are thinking BB just completely lost his mind and decided it would be a good idea to pay a WR more than $20M a year?

8. @billsrthefuture

For those of us who consider roughly 12 months a long time then it will be a long time before the Pats win their seventh Super Bowl.

Hell, it has already been too long of a wait for me, and it has only been a month.

9. Nah – longer than that.

I almost feel bad for Pats fans who have only known winning. Could be a tough adjustment.

The AFCE will belong to Allen and Darnold in the next decade+.

10. billsrthefuture says:
    March 2, 2019 at 4:12 pm

Nah – longer than that.

The AFCE will belong to Allen and Darnold in the next decade+.
    ——————————

Based on what? Pats starters since Kraft- Bledsoe, Brady, Cassel, Garropolo, Brisset. Except Brisset, though even he was pretty good in a tough Colts situation, all of them have been top notch starters. What makes you think they won’t be able to get another QB? Not Brady level of course, but pretty good no doubt.

The Jets and the Bills have really bad ownership- that’s there reason for poor performance, plus they have to deal with the Pats twice a year. The Jets had a very good team talent-wise several times since 2,000- it was jittery ownership which knocked them off the rails, and Buffalo had a stifling D several times, but couldn’t overcome bad GM’ing meddling ownership.

The Pat’s DID make a SB in the 80’s and 90’s- that’s better than most teams have done, and certainly better than the long suffering Jets fans have seen.

11. Cassel and Brissett are bad QBs. I’d be thrilled if the Pats next QB was at their level. I like Jimmy, but he’s injury prone, and the Pats had to go 2-14 to get Bledsoe.

You caught lightning in a bottle – twice – by getting the GOAT coach and QB, at the same time. They might have one more run, but I don’t think it’s likely.

Fans of all great dynasties think they’ll be on top forever. Haven’t seen it happen yet.

12. clashpoint says:
    March 2, 2019 at 1:21 pm

True or false: Saving cap room to pay for Antonio Brown?

——————————————————————–
    Might be better to spend less and get Golden Tate.
    Tate recently said he “would love to play for the Patriots”
    Tate might balance some of the workload and hits to keep JE11 ready for the post season.

13. It’s a smart business move here. Nothing more. He didn’t live up to the contract in pass catching terms, but his blocking was top notch and a big reason for the success in the run game over the last couple years.

14. billsrthefuture says:
    March 2, 2019 at 4:12 pm
    Nah – longer than that.

The AFCE will belong to Allen and Darnold in the next decade+.

—————————
    Maybe, maybe nit. But as for Pats fans I dont think you know what its like getting free gravy for so long, especially if you have never tasted gravy. At this point when it ends, and like all things it will, there is nothing left for us to feel but pure heartfelt thankfulness for what we have been given that can never be taken away. I dare say no other fan base will ever in their lifetimes be able to experience what New Englanders have. Or even what they had experienced already by several years ago. We are that blessed. So sorry to disappoint you but no salty tears. Just overwhelming deep gratitude.

15. clashpoint says:
    March 2, 2019 at 1:21 pm
    True or false: Saving cap room to pay for Antonio Brown?

———————-
    Belichick says it will be a cold day in hell. Pittsburgh thinks colder.

16. John Johnson – we’ll have to see on that one. I’ve seen Pats fans get salty after just having a slow start to the season. I’m genuinely interested to see how it goes when a few years go by without making the playoffs.

But I don’t rue your good fortune. You have been a blessed fan base. I just want the run to end, so some of us long sufferers can enjoy a teensy fraction of what you’ve had.

17. billsrthefuture says:
    March 2, 2019 at 4:12 pm
    Nah – longer than that.

The AFCE will belong to Allen and Darnold in the next decade+.

—-

Yeah you’re spouting nonsense now. No, I do not like the Patriots, I do not think Tom Brady is anywhere near the GOAT, or even the greatest of this era (rings are a team thing last I checked) but I believe that BB is possibly the GOAT, and definitely the GOAT of this era. But your claim that either the Bills/Allen or Jets/Darnold is the 2019 future of the AFCE? Ludicrous.

First, we’re talking about the Jets and the Bills. Come on. Second despite the media’s mistaking quantity for quality, I am not sure either one is going to be more than serviceable over the long haul. Quite frankly Mayfield is the only one of that class who I think could be a star.

No I think the Pats cruise to another AFCE win. It is one of the easiest divisions to do so in. I think the class of the AFC however comes from 1-2 other divisions. Sorry.

18. “The AFCE will belong to Allen and Darnold in the next decade+.”

Lol what makes you think Bill won’t find another excellent QB?

19. objectivefbfan says:
    March 4, 2019 at 7:38 am

——————————————–

??? Why is it ONLY when it pertains to Brady rings don’t count. Montana’s 4 rings was pretty much the criteria that made him the GOAT at the time. Montana’s teams were better than most of Brady’s. How about rings and stats- do those count? Because Brady has a combo of rings, stats, league and playoff awards that Montana couldn’t touch with a 10′ pole- even when adjusted across eras.

Brady has been to 9 S.B.’s, won 6 Superbowls, played in 17% of ALL S.B.’s, and has been to Multiple Superbowls in the beginning, middle, and end of his career.

No one even comes close to any of that- no one.

20. Another excellent QB? Like they grow on trees?

There isn’t even an average of 1 QB like that per draft. The Pats aren’t even developing anyone right now, unless you count that dude from the 7th round.

Can’t see it. It’s extremely hard to just find competence at the QB position.