Anthony Barr stiff arms the Jets, stays with the Vikings

Getty Images

There’s a reason that it’s smart to point out that deals negotiated during the free-agency negotiating window aren’t done until they’re done. It’s because they aren’t done until they’re done.

Linebacker Anthony Barr has decided not to sign with the Jets, after all. Instead, Barr will remain with the Vikings, according to Mike Garafolo of NFL Media.

Multiple reports emerged on Monday night that Barr would leave the Vikings and join the Jets. But the deal isn’t binding until it’s signed, and Barr hadn’t signed the deal.

Barr can sign with the Vikings at any time, since he was under contract with them last season. In all, he has been under contract with the Vikings for five seasons, and the relationship will continue.

As long as he signs the contract.

134 responses to “Anthony Barr stiff arms the Jets, stays with the Vikings

1. He used the Jets like a tool. Like a cheap screwdriver from Walmarts. Thanks for playing chumps.

2. Umm… What?

Like the guy, but was ready for them to move on cause I have since bought a $125 brick in front of the new stadium I’m a ‘owner’ of the franchise.

3. When I was Barr to Jets I thought the Ravens had a good chance to resign mosely as I know he wanted to stay if the money was close. When they signed mosely as well I felt something was off. Now I know why.

Good for both get your money

4. I’m not committing an opinion until I see the numbers. I wasn’t mad to see him go, assuming the Jets paid way more than the Vikings would want to. But, if Barr gave a discount, this is a very rare occasion for a player.

5. Um, using what money? I didn’t think they had the cap room unless they cut Griffen. In fact, I’m not going to believe this until the ink is dry on the contract.

6. The Jets are an absolute mess. They threw 17 Million$/yr at a 2 down linebacker who has never been good in coverage. Watch them overpay for Le’veon Bell. This is a franchise with no plan, an inability to draft in the middle rounds of the draft and no identity. Their GM is approaching Ryan Grigson level bad

7. Hard to leave a world class organization…Barr stays and last year’s FAs want back (see Shamar Stephen).

8. Interesting twist. Guessing that means Everson Griffin may be re-structured or released ? Barr is a swiss army knife. Great to keep if the price is right but he’s not the “pass rusher” that some seem to think he is. Solid all around player but hope the Vikes aren’t breaking the bank for him given his propensity to coast from time to time

9. So, he had a choice of walking into work and seeing one Super Bowl trophy in the cabinet every day, or walking into a building that has zero, and never will have any? Makes sense.

10. Oh well, he won’t win a SB with the Jets, I guess he figured he might as well stay a viking (familiarity) because he’s not winning a super bowl with the Vikings either. Vikings off season paper chumps, Jets..chumps!

11. Interesting, I mean Vikes fans all said what trash he was on the way out. Wouldn’t be missed.

Now he’s back. Jets and Vikings BOTH got worse?

12. But…but…but, Packer fans were already gloating about how all the Vikings players are jumping ship. Barr is staying and a certain NFC North quarterback better have his head on a swivel and keep his collarbone protected in at least two games this season.

13. Jets consistently get used by players in this fashion. They should start blacklisting agents who let their clients use them like this and make it clear, in private, that they run the risk of not negotiating with future clients of these agents.

14. somatg3 says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:00 pm
    ////////
    It’s the swiss cheese moments that scare me though…

15. filthymcnasty3 says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:08 pm
    LOL

Viking fans wanted him gone!
    ////////////
    Not exactly. Vikings fans didn’t want to pay Barr market value. We all assumed somebody else with more cap room would simply outbid for him and he would be gone. Nobody could anticipate Barr accepting less money. Who does that?!

16. “But the deal isn’t binding until it’s signed.” This sounds just like a certain coach who, smartly, decided to bail on the embarrassment that is the Mayflower Moving Colts in order to be guaranteed another Super Bowl Championship. I’m waiting for all of the similar fake outrage to be directed at Barr.

17. Andrew Teal says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:02 pm
    Interesting, I mean Vikes fans all said what trash he was on the way out.
    //////////
    I didn’t read that. I read that he wasn’t worth keeping at free agent money. Vikings let him shop elsewhere. He must have decided losing double digit games every year wasn’t worth the extra cash. Says a lot about the man actually. Almost everybody takes the cash. Hell, I would.

18. Well… that is interesting. How’d they get the money? We’ll soon find out. Like I said earlier… Barr is good player, not great, but very talented. He probably had a change of heart because the Vikings are real close to winning a super bowl.

19. There have been thoughts that the Vikings could move on from Everson Griffin. If they did, it might open some more chances for Barr to rush the passer on passing downs. Curious to see how this plays out.

20. Yes. Good decision on Barr’s part. Maybe release Griffen and use Barr as more of a pass rusher.

21. Didn’t cousins use the Jets last year as a bargaining tool? I think Jets fans aren’t you happy with the Vikings at this point 🙂

22. I was considering changing my moniker but now I guess it makes sense to keep it.

I was ready for Barr to move on but recently I’ve read a lot about how much he really means to the Vikings’ defense and it would be hard to replace him. I don’t want to spend our first round pick on a linebacker. Not sure what the structure is or what else might be happening, but it’s nice to see the Vikings get a player while all the other teams are making moves, and I’d rather keep our own than get what somebody else didn’t want.

23. Kudos to the Vikings organization for retaining one of their own.
    A guy they obviously wanted to keep.
    You definitely don’t see the player stiff arm very often.

But, I just wonder how this would play if an NFL team kept a couple of players on the hook with the promise of a contract, only to pull it away tomorrow after crunching the numbers.
    Florio would blow a gasket.

24. Cut right guard Mike Remmers and declining an option on safety Andrew Sendejo’s contract is how they kept Barr. it is a zero sum game. It looks like the Vikings feel that one Barr and 2 league minimum starters are better then two veteran starters and probably an average starter to replace Barr ($4 to $6 million a year). Hope it works for them, usually it doesn’t.

25. filthymcnasty3 says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:08 pm
    LOL

Viking fans wanted him gone!
    ——————————–

Nope, I was super upset that they were letting the best free agent linebacker in 2019 walk. I am SO glad I hit F5 once more before walking away from the computer. Ecstatic to have Barr back. Now if only we could keep Griffen. And enough talk of trading Rhodes. Waynes maybe if there are any takers but not Rhodes! Barr jersey owners rejoice!

But the comment I really wanted to make was – Looks like he got some advise from Kirk Cousins lol. Kirk did the same thing last year with the Jets. Everyone’s just threatening to go to the Jets to get more money lol.

26. He gets burned by the scrub Todd Gurley and by a couple of WRs that he never should have been covering, so that makes him bad at coverage…okay…

27. LOL

Viking fans wanted him gone!

I don’t think so much wanted him gone but didn’t want to overspend on him and from what I’ve heard he’s going to take less than what the Jets were going to give him to stay in Minnesota.

28. I bet this is why they dropped Sendejo and Remmers. We’ll be drafting their replacements (well we already have Anthony Harris for Sendejo) That cleared up about 10 mil this year which I think was about what we gave Kendricks per year. I love that we’re keeping that pair together!

29. What do you call a mechanism that helps you accomplish something difficult? A tool.

Congrats New York Jets, you’re the Official Tool of the NFL.

30. epic cluster by the jetsies!

overpay mosley to insult barr only to tick barr off enough to have barr take less out of spite!

lol! love
    dem jetsies!

31. ouch, but probably a blessing in disguise….dedicating over 20% of your total cap space to 2 LB’s was probably not the wisest thing to do. CJ Mosely in my opinion is the better of the two.

32. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:23 pm

I wonder if Barr learned that stiff arm from Josh Allen.
    =========================================================
    Stiff arm?! No, no, you mean the hurdle.

33. We got Shamar Stephen back to replace Richardson (though he will be missed) and we’ve got Hunter and most recent breakout DE (first Griffen, then Hunter) Stephen Weatherly. Sadly we will probably see Griffen go, who has been one of my favorite personalities in a line of crazy, funn awesome DE’s like Jared Allen and the man John Randle. Thank the Lord with Shamar and Anthony back we may actually, finally focus on offense in the draft!

34. filthymcnasty3 says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:08 pm
    LOL

Viking fans wanted him gone

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

This Viking fan wanted him to stay. He has unfinished business to attend to. Aaron’s other shoulder. LOL

35. bobmillion says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:20 pm
    —————————————-
    Are you referring to Eric Kendricks as a league minimum starter? If so you might want to go recheck your numbers.

36. Funny thing, I’m a HUGE Viking fan and I check several websites all day & night. I have not seen one post where a Viking fan wanted Barr gone. I think WE all figured we couldn’t afford him but of course some trolling HATERS make up LIES about us because they have no life of their own or they won a SB decades ago or they FINALLY won one. Good for all of you, we know our time is coming and we will be able say that we’re true & die hard without all your huff & puff. Skol Vikings!

37. The liens have been very aggressive in free agency and look like they’ve improved their team at least on paper. The packers Are now using free agency to plug holes of need and sure up that defense. It could be easy to fall behind in the NFC North now. I think Barr would’ve been harder to replace then people think and there are several good defensive tackles available in the draft. losing him and Richardson would’ve made it hard to fill both spots in the draft. I’m good with this. When he plays with fire and passion he’s a heck of a linebacker

38. filthymcnasty3 says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:32 pm
    LOL

Viking fans hated him yesterday. Now they love him today. They have more mood swings than Everson Griffon

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Good one waffle

39. cheeseisfattening says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:24 pm
    Welcome back Barr! Maybe now the Packer fan death threats can finally stop.
    _________

Yes, and hopefully all the death threats Al Harris had to endure after AP’s accidental injury have finally stopped too.
    It’s something he had to deal with for several years.
    Back then, what was truly scary is the fact there were no keyboard warriors, you actually had to go through the effort of putting crayon to paper, find a stamp, and mail it in.

Of course, Harris didn’t whine and cry about it either.
    When asked if he was concerned, he joked about the fact that the spelling and grammar was so atrocious in some of them, that he had serious doubts that those particular Barneys would even be able to locate him.
    I miss Al Harris.

40. Set aside thoughts of the teams playing and consider the BS of this “legal tampering” time. This has to be one of the stupidest rules in all pro sports since nothing negotiated is binding anyway. End this and enforce the Illegal tampering and once negotiating is allowed have it be for real.

41. Brobokil says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:32 pm
    bobmillion says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:20 pm
    —————————————-

Wow that is going to be a lot to pay for a back up at middle linebacker since that is Eric’s position, My mistake I thought Barr was a outside linebacker. My main question is how are they going to get new starters for an already bad O-line and how they are going to pay for a back-up safety or any other back-up or that can actually step in and not cost the team losses when the injuries happen. It failed last year.

42. @qckappa – Agree with his post. Most Vikings fans assumed Barr, over any other FA the Vikings had, was the least likely to return due to the money he might demand. Its a win for the team to get him for what would appear is the $8m/yr the Jets had offered. That’s 4-3 OLB money and not 3-4 OLB money most assumed Barr was after.

Nice FA win for the Vikings and Zimmer’s defense. One less hole to fill.

43. So many morons on this board…

Yesterday – Jets wayyyy overpaid on Barr, Josh Allen leaped over him once, LMAO what a train wreck

Today – Barr stiffs the Jets, they are screwed LOLOLOL

44. Alan Light says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:00 pm
    ==========================================

Vikings a “world class organization”?

That’s pretty pathetic Al. How’d that Kirk Cousins thing work out for you guys?

45. Wafflestomp says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:42 pm
    cheeseisfattening says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:24 pm
    Welcome back Barr! Maybe now the Packer fan death threats can finally stop.
    _________

It’s something he had to deal with for several years.

Of course, Harris didn’t whine and cry about it either.
    I miss Al Harris

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Good one filthy

46. Then obviously they were not from Minnesotans. Grammar and spelling errors sounds like trailer home owners from packerville.

Of course, Harris didn’t whine and cry about it either.

47. I wonder if Aaron Rodgers will take time away from trying to show the world he is with Danica by posting his time with her all over the internet to even notice this signing?

48. flviking says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:49 pm
    Wafflestomp says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:42 pm
    cheeseisfattening says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:24 pm
    Welcome back Barr! Maybe now the Packer fan death threats can finally stop.
    _________

It’s something he had to deal with for several years.

Of course, Harris didn’t whine and cry about it either.
    I miss Al Harris

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Good one filthy
    ————
    Don’t be too hard on Tokyo, he has limitations.

49. Well that saves either their first or second round pick. I wonder who will snag Richardson?
    If Minnesota doesn’t use at least one early and one mid round on that line, they don’t deserve to win a game. But somehow Zimmer usually gets at least 1 high pick for the D..

50. So we are saying the Jets got ……..BARR_ED

Oook alot of cheese on the stage and so they made me do it.

51. You all are gonna talk up bar for “taking a discount” – likely all he did was the math on taxes and cost of living between NY and MN.

He’s not white knighting the Vikings, he made an accounting decision.

52. if they convert him to an edge rusher, this is a great move. Barr has the ability to be a great pass rusher and will be far cheaper than the current pass rushers looking for a new contract. vikings must not think weatherly is up to the task yet. i thought he was.

if he stays at outside linebacker, its a very curious move. I think Griffen will be forced to take a pay cut or be released. Griffen’s antics last year put the writing on the wall. still a good player, but he is on the decline and way too expensive-not even including his mental issues.

Now that Shamar Stevens and Jaleel Johnson are back, i’m not worried about losing Richardson. Those two can fill in nicely for a fraction of the price. Zimmer can coach up any defender.

53. Andrew Teal says:
    March 12, 2019 at 2:06 pm

He’s not white knighting the Vikings, he made an accounting decision.
    //////////
    I don’t think math works the way you think it works.

54. As a 58 year Viking sufferer, this is a sad day. Waaay too slow. Step backwards. Another 58 years with signings like this! Dumb.

55. Barr and Turdwell= Spieldope and Zimmer finished in Minnesota!!! Cant see forest for the trees. Wow. So disappointed. Another year lost.

56. fwippel says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:29 pm

Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:23 pm

I wonder if Barr learned that stiff arm from Josh Allen.
    =========================================================
    Stiff arm?! No, no, you mean the hurdle.
    ________

Yes, I remember the hurdle but I have a more distinct memory of the stiff arm Allen gave Barr in the same game. I was screaming that Allen should have been called for a face mask penalty. I think they wound up calling Barr for a horse collar or something like that when all he was doing was try to reach Allen while he was being pushed away by the face mask.

57. Maybe they should have offered him cupcakes…oh yeah, that wasn’t enough to get Hightower to sign either. Joke of a franchise.

58. rsmonson says:
    March 12, 2019 at 2:45 pm
    Barr signing is akin to Andrew Wiggins signing. Will drag team down for years to come. POOR top to bottom decision making!

—————

This is a good analogy, and look where the Timberwolves are now.

With the Lions making the biggest moves in FA so far, the Packers adding a few pieces, and the first-place Bears looking to make one more big move, this reeks of desperation on the Vikings part.

59. I just got through reading Viking fans comments from yesterday when he was reported to be on his way to the Jets. Wonder if they will take back their comments where they trashed him saying he was inconsistent, took plays off, and only had 13.5 sacks in his Minnesota days. lol

60. vikinganswer says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:52 pm
    ———————
    Don’t kid yourself those trailers are rented. Too much money spent on fake stock and sausage to afford a down payment on a home.

61. The Vikings just put themselves further into cap hell…this is exactly why we have never won anything, moves like this. The Pat’s would have let him go.
    No money for the oline and Cousins will continue to get killed.

62. h0metownzero says:
    March 12, 2019 at 2:14 pm
    With a brilliant mind like Mike Zimmer using him to cover guys like Cooper Kupp, what could go wrong?
    ———
    Are you referring to the same brilliant mind who shut down Rodgers twice last year?

63. RMoss84HOF says:
    March 12, 2019 at 4:37 pm
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.

64. I like Barr. My only problem with this is that now the Jets will make their huge offer to KJ Wright. I don’t want to see Wright gone, but he has earned a payday.

65. I googled Al Harris death threats and absolutely nothing came up. I google Anthony Barr death threats and got pages of hits. How sure are you this ever happened? I can easily believe I didn’t know about it, but the whole internet? I was surprised to read the post about this, but I do remember the death threats that Barr got.

66. Frazier28/7 says:
    March 12, 2019 at 12:57 pm
    Umm… What?

——–

Didn’t Wilf already steal enough money from you?

67. RMoss84HOF says:
    March 12, 2019 at 4:44 pm
    h0metownzero says:
    March 12, 2019 at 2:14 pm
    ———
    ====================================================================================
    Same brilliant mind who can’t properly staff his OC position, got a better QB and took his team from 13-3 and a game away from the Super Bowl to 8-7-1 and out of the playoffs.

68. frank booth says:
    March 12, 2019 at 5:48 pm
    RMoss84HOF says:
    March 12, 2019 at 4:44 pm
    h0metownzero says:
    March 12, 2019 at 2:14 pm
    ———
    ——————-

Please smart football mind – address why GB has not beat the Vikings since 16 if MN is so bad? Also there is a difference in schedule, which the bears will see this year playing a first place schedule they will see a bit of a slide in their record as opposed to their typical last place schedule.

69. frank booth says:
    March 12, 2019 at 5:48 pm
    /////////
    Nobody even heard of you before last year. Are you a Bears fan? A Packers fan that pretends to be a Bears fan? Nobody even knows. But it’s doubtful you’ll be heard from beyond last year.

70. ragnarthegreat says:
    March 12, 2019 at 5:23 pm
    ////////
    Well, that Packers fan did state that it all happened before the internet was invented. Which, apparently, only happened in the last 10 years to him.

71. stellarperformance says:
    March 12, 2019 at 4:45 pm
    RMoss84HOF says:
    March 12, 2019 at 4:37 pm
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.
    ——————-

Help yourself to a dictionary bud. One a comment made in jest to someone to someone with an agreeing opinion is not a debate.

72. lks311 says:
    March 12, 2019 at 1:19 pm
    Looking forward to all the Vikings fans who trashed Barr yesterday…to weigh-in today.
    ———————————

I said he is a good not great player. He was looking for Mack or Miller money and the Vikings wouldn’t pay that. They called his bluff and he probably could have gotten more from the Jets. But it’s the Jets. So he took the money he deserved and stayed home. Mission accomplished by the Vikings.

73. conormacleod says:
    March 12, 2019 at 6:36 pm
    ragnarthegreat says:
    March 12, 2019 at 5:23 pm
    ////////
    ____________

No, it wasn’t before the Internet was invented, but it was long before social media platforms like Facebook, fan pages, and Twitter made celebrities and athletes so accessible with just a few anonymous keystrokes.

It was in 2007, Peterson’s rookie year, when the Packers had a stat bounty program in place.
    Harris clipped AP’s knee and was injured for multiple weeks.
    Viking fans were irate, and yes, the death threats did occur.

In fact the Packers organization was concerned enough to inform the league office, though Harris rarely talked about it.
    The only time I heard him speak on the subject was on his radio show.
    Harris had a weekly radio show on Wednesday mornings on WDUZ The Fan and the hosts pressed him on the subject, which he tried to downplay.
    but
    But, in the end, he made the remarks about the spelling and grammar on a few of the notes Packer brass had shown him, expressing that it was no big deal and that a few bigots weren’t going to scare him.

I’m curious though, why is this so hard for any of you to believe?
    It wasn’t all that long ago and you were all threatening your own kicker and his holder after the Wide Left FG attempt against Seattle in the playoffs just a few years ago.

Listen, anyone who dabbles in this kind of crap is morally reprehensible in my book, and that includes any Packer fans who’ve threatened Barr, but please, stop thinking that your fanbase has a lock on the moral ground or something.

74. Waffle… as a Vikings fan, I miss Al Harris too! He was usually good for getting burned at least once a game.

75. I thought this was a good signing for the Jets. So I am happy that Anthony Barr is returning to the Vikings.

76. Waffle… as a Vikings fan, I miss Al Harris too! He was usually good for getting burned at least once a game.
    _____________________________________

Al Harris has a SuperBowl Ring… By the way Cordarrelle Patterson has a SuperBowl Ring now as well… That has to hurt the Vikings faithful…