Patriots missed out on Adam Humphries, Cole Beasley

Getty Images

The Patriots went after Adam Humphries after the slot receiver agreed to a four-year, $36 million deal with the Titans. Humphries opted to stay with his handshake agreement, though New England actually might have offered more.

“When I committed to Tennessee, obviously I’m a man of my word,” Humphries said in a press conference Thursday, via Paul Kuharsky of paulkuharsky.com. “I’m going to keep my word there. It’s tough. It’s a big decision, and it’s a decision that impacts me for the rest of my life. So I obviously put a lot of thought into that. Once I committed to Tennessee, I was really excited to be a Titan and still am.”

Humphries caught 76 passes for 816 yards as Tampa Bay’s slot receiver last season. He would have fit the Patriots offense.

“It’s definitely my understanding [the Patriots made an offer],” Humphries said. “That was something I was weighing the options of both teams, and it was tough. Obviously they have a lot of success with guys similar to me.”

The Patriots, in the market for a slot receiver, also went after Cole Beasley. Beasley said in his introductory press conference with the Bills that his decision came down to Buffalo, Dallas and New England.

The Patriots have receivers Julian Edelman, Phillip Dorsett, Braxton Berrios, Damoun Patterson and Matthew Slater under contract and on the roster for 2019. It’s obvious they want to add a receiver, and Golden Tate is among those left on the market.

36 responses to “Patriots missed out on Adam Humphries, Cole Beasley

1. As a Pats fan I admire Humphries for his decision to stick to his word. Its a shame he won’t get to catch passes from the GOAT, but at least he can ask Vrabel what that feels like.

2. bleedredwhiteandblue66 says:

March 14, 2019 at 4:07 pm

Beasley made the right choice. The Bills are on the rise. The Patriot’s days are numbered.
    While I am glad Beasley signed with the Bills, how many years have we been saying this about the Patriots and they keep on winning lol. I do agree the Bills are getting better.

3. bleedredwhiteandblue66 says:

March 14, 2019 at 4:07 pm

9 13 Rate This

————————————————————————

Not trying to troll you but can you please explain to us how they are on the rise? Offensively at least. They need Josh Allen to learn to pass and not run on every play before they will actually be on the rise. Or was Gore and Beasley their missing pieces?

4. Amazing shady sneaky pats trying too weasel their way in. They just can’t help themselves good for those guys cuz if I was either one of them I would have jumped ship and signed with New England.

5. A man of his word. Good for him. I hope he doesn’t get cut from his 4 year contract after 2 years.

6. Hump probably remembers the Pats forcing Danny Amendola to keep taking big pay cuts every offseason to stick with the team. He was like “Nah, I’m good, thanks.”

I hate losing Hump but not at that contract. You can find slot receivers in the draft. Heck, Hump was undrafted.

7. bleedredwhiteandblue66 says:
    March 14, 2019 at 4:07 pm

_____________________________

Bills fans are so cute. Every year their hopes are so high and then ……..

8. Amazing shady sneaky pats trying too weasel their way in. They just can’t help themselves good for those guys cuz if I was either one of them I would have jumped ship and signed with New England.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

Shady? So teams should just give up on a free agent before he is officially signed just because another team thinks they are going to land him? Try harder

9. bleedredwhiteandblue66 says:
    March 14, 2019 at 4:07 pm
    —-

I’m assuming they must have legal dispensaries wherever you are.

10. Good for him. Patriots will be fine. Every year, the media and their colorful personalities over exaggerate how bad the Patriots offensive receivers are, and the fans just run with it. Keep in mind we had the same awful receiving core at the start of last year that we did when we won the Superbowl. So I don’t think the Patriots are in any trouble.

Clearly they are looking for talented guys to help Brady out, that’s why they went after Josh Gordon last season. But even if they don’t get a big target in free agency, not really worried. If last year was any indication, they will figure it out when it counts.

Everyone else can win free agency. Patriots biggest wins are in February

11. ariani1985 says:
    March 14, 2019 at 4:18 pm
    Patriots might have the worst WR roster in the league right now.
    —————————————————

Not unlike the WR situation they entered last season with, how did that turn out again?

12. Irish Hoodlum says:
    March 14, 2019 at 4:24 pm
    bleedredwhiteandblue66 says:

March 14, 2019 at 4:07 pm

9 13 Rate This

————————————————————————

______________________

10 picks in the first round. Cap money left to be spent. 8 free agents signed to address areas of need at corner, center, guard, receiver and tight end. Recent draft picks panning out: Allen, Edmunds, White, Milano

13. Pats fans are awesome. Their declining QB will be 42, they aren’t even developing anyone to replace him, they just lost a ton of talent – and they still think hat & t shirt day will be as automatic as the sunrise.

It will make the fall much more fun to watch.

14. bleedredwhiteandblue66 says:
    March 14, 2019 at 4:07 pm

“…The Bills are on the rise. The Patriot’s days are numbered.”

******************************************************************************

You gonna bet the ranch on that?

15. Patriots missed on those two plus Tate. But hey… they signed Bruce Ellington. Sometimes you wonder what BB is thinking. But he just won another SB without super weapons. Who knows…

16. A long time until opening day, but any Pats fan that thinks the WR situation is ‘just fine’ is in denial.

17. A man of his word. Wow. It’s refreshing just to think about that.

And blessedunliketherest, Vrabel can tell Humphries about the Patriot Way, but I doubt the former linebacker spent a lot of time in practice catching passes from Brady.

18. Bills are on the rise cause there is nowhere else to go. But actually Bills and Browns fans deserve a little success. They have been loyal to these teams for years. I am pulling for their fans.

19. Deb says:

March 14, 2019 at 6:17 pm

*****************

I don’t know about practice but Vrabel did catch 8 regular season passes and 2 playoff catches. All for Touchdowns.

20. Jimmy Mac says:
    March 14, 2019 at 7:19 pm
    Deb says:

March 14, 2019 at 6:17 pm

*****************

—————————————————————-
    Okay, now I am depressed. Didn’t mind losing Brown and Bell, but always hated losing Vrabel. Clearly he was even better than I remembered.

21. A man of his word. Wow. It’s refreshing just to think about that.

I’m not talking about practice. Vrabel caught 8 catches from Brady in his NE career, all for TDs.

22. —————————————————————-
    —————————————————————-

Vrabel caught TD passes in TWO STRAIGHT SUPER BOWLS.

Not knowing that is proof that you’re another front runner Pats fan. As soon as they stop winning, you’ll be on to the next winning team, and will claim you have always been a Browns fan or something.

23. It is fun to read comments from Pats’ haters mocking their wide-receivers corp and noting how many coaches and players they have lost because I remember reading versions of the same things before the start of last season.

Sure the Pats won’t win forever, but as long as Belichick is there they will be better run and assembled for playoff success than your team.

24. blessedunliketherest says:
    March 14, 2019 at 4:35 pm

————————–

Agreed, I am a Titans fan. Can’t be mad at the Patriots for this. In fact, I bet this kind of stuff happens a lot. They waited to see what contract details were when they were announced publicly but couldn’t technically be signed yet, decided they were willing to go higher & made an offer. He chose to stay with us. But if he had left I would respect that move. If we did the same thing & stole a player from them we would call Robinson a genius.

Now on the Pats end, they should have made that offer from the get-go & maybe they would have gotten the player. If they really wanted him (seems like they did) you can’t be playing these kinds of games.

25. Patriots should call the Bengals and make them an offer they can’t refuse for A.J. Green. After the clown show this offseason he will want out of Cincy. The Bengals also have Alex Erickson who could be a star but is stuck on the Bench for the Bengals. Green deserves to play for a winner and the Bengals just need to tank and start over.