Joe Flacco: Tom Brady has shown QBs can play until we’re 60

Getty Images

After trading for Joe Flacco, Broncos General Manager John Elway said the 34-year-old Flacco has many years of good football ahead of him. Flacco agrees with that.

At his introductory press conference in Denver, Flacco thanked Elway for having confidence in him and joked that he’s still a lot younger than Tom Brady.

“It feels good because I definitely feel that way, so it feels good to hear somebody say that,” Flacco said of Elway’s comments. “I mean, shoot, with Tom Brady now, quarterbacks are playing until they’re about 60 years old. Listen, I’m as healthy as I’ve ever been, I’m as physical as I’ve ever been. Obviously at any time something crazy can happen, but barring anything crazy happening I’m as healthy as I can be and as physical and ready to go as ever. So I’m excited about what lies ahead for me and my future and I’m not putting a number on how much time I’ve got left to play. I want to play as long as I can and hopefully they’re dragging me out of this building a long time from now.”

Whether Flacco can play until he’s Brady’s age remains to be seen, but the Broncos think they have their man at quarterback. At least for this year.

69 responses to “Joe Flacco: Tom Brady has shown QBs can play until we’re 60

1. Strawman.

Tom Brady is an old quarterback and very successful.
    I am an old quarterback, therefore I will be successful.

Sadly Joe Flacco != Tom Brady.

2. Flacco can’t even play into his 30s let alone his 60s. As Chad Johnson said child please

3. Now this is funny! Joe Flacco, who can’t play QB very well at age 34, is suggesting QB’s can play until their 60! I’ve got news for Flacco — he won’t be around at age 36.
    You can’t make this stuff up! As for Elway, I think his head is still spinning from that hit he took where he was spun around like a helicopter blade against GB in the Super Bowl. He is clearly in over his head when it comes to obtaining QB’s.

4. 40 may have been “old” back in the day – but that’s is just because most people are sorry/lazy, eat Mcdonalds and as a result they have low testosterone. But nowadays with the kind of knowledge we have with nutrition/weight training/supplement/understanding your body – the fact is that if you’re on top of stuff, people should age much much much slower than even just 20 years ago. I’m no pro athlete but im 41 and my deadlift/squat/bench numbers are all better than when i was 23. I get incomprehensibly annoyed when some 37 yr old or something tells me they can’t do this or that because theyre too old. Sure thing beta boy

5. more like the league is allowing QBs to play till they are 60. go watch tape from the 80s and 90s, most QBs today wouldnt last 2 years.

6. Theoretically Brady might manage 45 (Warren Moon did, albeit 41-42 was his last decent year), but Flacco’s body is aging faster, he doesn’t get rid of the ball as quick, and doesn’t protect himself as well, and has already had a lot of back trouble, and has maybe 3 serviceable yrs left.

7. Brady is closer in time to his Rookie season than he is to 60, what Joe said makes no sense and we are all a bit dumber for even hearing that nonsense.

Elway going all-in on Flacco is one of the most WTF worthy moves a GM has made in a long time.

8. Big difference here is that statistically Brady is still at the top of the league while Flacco has been below replacement level for the last several years. Guys like that WILL NOT play until they’re 60.

9. Joe Flacco always has had entertaining press conferences lol, the guy sure can shoot the breeze! He can analyze the situation but can never come up with the fix on the field!

10. Once the Ravens realize Lamar Jackson can’t read andwdense or throw the ball downfield they will be wishing the still had Flacco as their QB

11. What Joe Flacco is missing is Tom Brady has always been good, Flacco has not. And even in his late 30’s through his early 40’s Brady has been able to stay healthy, shoot over his entire career Brady has been healthy. Flacco has Not. And just because Brady is playing into his early 40’s does not mean every QB can, Brady is the exception to the rule. Youre no where near the class of QB Tom Brady is Joe, given your health issues and poor performance on the field you’re likely to be out of the NFL by the time you’re 36-37yrs old. I’m sure Elway will jump at the chance to replace you when the next aging middling QB comes along w/ a cheap price tag.

12. Always liked joe he makes the Broncos a threat. The ravens are silly to let the best qb they have ever had go he has a few strong years left.

13. wutangisforthechildren30 says:
    March 15, 2019 at 12:33 pm

—————-

I’m 37 years old and I can’t do this or that

14. The reality is, any player that’s 40 plus is always one injury away from retirement. A torn acl or similar injury is too difficult to rehab at that age. You last as long as your OL allows you to.

15. oriontx says:
    March 15, 2019 at 12:23 pm
    Flacco is going to throw a lot of interceptions. He needs to thank Anquan Boldin every day for giving him a career.

—–

100% accurate. I’ve always loved Boldin from afar and when my Lions signed him, I was thrilled. They didn’t use him to his full potential, but he bailed Stafford out so many times on third down when no one else could be relied upon to gain yardage. He will go down as one of the most under-rated receivers of all time.

16. Wow, Flacco just threw a major shade at Brady that many people will miss. Flacco essentially said Brady plays like a 60 year old and reminded everyone he is younger than Brady. Flacco is lucky the Broncos don’t play the Patriots this year because Brady would have been extra motivated after those comments.

17. Tom Brady has a very quick release (because he CAN read defenses, and the offensive play calling), coupled with a generally good Oline (most years), so he doesn’t get hit as much as most QBs.

18. SWFLPC.INC says:
    March 15, 2019 at 1:03 pm
    ================================================

He also needs to work on holding on to the ball. He fumbles quite a bit, at least a few of which have been without contact.

19. Harbaugh still should have gone with Flacco in the second half of the playoff game against the Chargers. You knew when that didn’t happen that Flacco would be gone. He’s kidding himself though, if he believes what Tom Brady is doing can be done by anybody.

20. This has more to do with Tom Brady’s lifestyle and offensive line protection than anything else. He has all of these diets, cookbooks, offseason workout plans, and breaths the sport of football every single day. Even with all the rule changes, he’s the 7th most sacked quarterback in NFL history. WIth a faster release time and short passes to beat the blitz, you’ll play longer.

21. Joe i think you may have taken to many hits to the head. Tom has proven to play in his early 40’s. He has 19 more season to get to 60

22. I’m not a big fan of Flacco’s game but, come on, he was being facetious. He was also complementing Brady.

23. A lot of Brady’s success is mental. How well and how fast he can process and act on whats before him. Thats why he is lasting and staying effective like he does. If it was all about physicality I dont think it would be soo much. He stays in goid shape, but hes not known for legs and big arm, its his mind that carries him.

24. What QB’s are playing until their 60? Much less 50… No NFL QB has even played at 45 (Steve Deberg played until 44). Lay off the koolaid Flacco… or at least pass some to me.

25. wutangisforthechildren30 says:
    March 15, 2019 at 12:33 pm
    ——————–
    That may be true but I can guarantee that your raw speed, reaction time, endurance, and agility are not as good and never will be no matter what you do. Speaking as a masters track and field athlete.

26. Everyone can be Tom Brady. Sure. The guy who sees the D and gets rid of the ball quicker than anyone in history. Mmm hmm, sure Joe.

27. I don’t like Brady but to be truthful the fact is that Flacco is nothing more than an adequate game manager (provided he has a good surrounding cast) whereas Brady is a game changer who can will victory regardless of who the other players are.

28. Brady can play until he’s 60 because he’s good. When the team that traded you in favor of a guy who can run but can’t hit the ocean from the beach, you have accuracy issues. And that extends to his self confidence as well.

29. therealraider says:
    March 15, 2019 at 12:33 pm
    As a Raider fan, I hope Jump ball Joe plays till He’s 60.

——-
    Even at 60 Flacco would outplay Derek Carr

30. Brady became great because he worked at it. He’s continued to be great past the usual retirement age because he follows a rigorous diet and fitness regimen. And he plays for a team that does a good job protecting him in the pocket. That doesn’t mean every quarterback can play indefinitely. But Flacco is a good quarterback, and at 34–barring injury–I’m sure he has several productive years left.

31. therealraider says:
    March 15, 2019 at 12:33 pm
    As a Raider fan, I hope Jump ball Joe plays till He’s 60
    ==============================
    As a Brinco fan, I hope John “trade all the young superstars” Gruden keeps tradin’ in Khalil Mack’s for Jordy Nelson’s for his entire 10 year contract

32. Yes, they can play if they are not injured (Montana retired because of a sore arm and Troy Aikman and Steve Young retired because of too many concussions), but they won’t be playing if they are blackballed or if they are ineffective.