Bill Belichick expounds on relationship with Tom Brady, with Coach K

Getty Images

Patriots coach Bill Belichick grunted and huffed through his media session this week at the owners meetings, but in a conversation with another legendary coach, he opened up quite a bit.

Via the Boston Globe, Belichick opened up during an appearance on Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski’s Sirius XM show, speaking at length about the dynamic between himself and quarterback Tom Brady.

While that relationship has been described as strained (and some level of tension is to be expected in any pair of high-achievers), Belichick told Krzyzewski that he enjoyed their twice-weekly meetings to go over game plans and special situations.

“In [basketball], it’s great because everybody plays offense, everybody plays defense,” Belichick said. “But in our sport, there’s a division between offense, defense, special teams, and a lot of times it’s hard to pull all those together. But, as a head coach, it’s important to be able to manage those critical situations with your quarterback, your offensive coordinator, your special teams coach, and your defense all together.

“I think Tom and I have spent a lot of time building that philosophy, understanding what we’re each thinking in certain situations, so when they come up, he can anticipate what I want to do [and] I can anticipate what he’d like to do. We try to get the best thing. I’d say we both work at it.”

Belichick praised Brady’s work during the week, saying he “prepares at a level like no other player that [he’s] coached.”

“There’s some things that he sees that I just don’t see, and I think the reverse is true,” Belichick said. “I love football. I love learning about football. I think Tom is the same. I think we’ve learned from each other, and we’ve been able to grow together. I think it’s a thriving relationship that never gets old.”

The success they’ve shared certainly helps smooth over some of the bumps, and it’s clear that there’s a mutual respect between the two, even if the relationship wasn’t always an easy one.

25 responses to “Bill Belichick expounds on relationship with Tom Brady, with Coach K

1. All professional athletes strive to get paid for their work. Some are compensated for the numbers they produce and they perform accordingly, valuing their statistics over team goals. Others, like Brady and Belichick, feel the best way to earn compensation is through team accomplishments. That’s why their teams are so successful. And this is true in other businesses besides pro football.

2. Sounds like the Energizer Bunny is still going!
    Not exactly what the rest of the league wants to hear….

3. I hate hearing the argument Belichick wouldn’t be successful without Brady or Brady wouldn’t be successful without Belichick.They think alike and work together perfectly.Its like they both compliment each other perfectly

4. the best way to earn compensation is through team accomplishments

Reagan said something like – it’s amazing what you can accomplish when you don’t worry about who gets the credit – very applicable with these guys.

5. Well that kinda blows the whole “ They hate each other “ theory right out the window…….along with the disfunction & inner termoil & cracks in the foundation talk…….
    Alas, the media will STIIL want to push that angle to get the hopes of 31 other fan bases a lift, albeit a futile objective.
    Looking forward to the draft & enjoying Lombardi #6 to the max!!!!
    Go Pats!!!!

6. It’s a great PR answer. I’m sure some of this is true. But isn’t also true that Brady went over Belichick’s head to get rid of Garapolo, thereby sabotaging Belichick’s longer term plans to continue to win with a different QB? This doesn’t mean they can’t work together because they both know that they need the other for success right now. But there’s always the question as to who would succeed better alone and with the massive egos involved at this level, these men probably think they are the real reason for the Pats success. Trading away Garapolo sabotaged Belichick’s chances, so far, of proving that he was the real reason for the Pats success and I’d be surprised if Belichick doesn’t despise Brady because of it. If I was in Belichick’s shoes, I would.

7. The best healthy relationships boil over from time to time. If you have been in a long time relationship and it’s never gotten heater or boiled over then one of those people in the relationship is not allowed to speak or act freely.

A healthy relationship can afford to be tense, strained and even break BUT be repaired. Mutual compromise builds respect and trust. Those that frown on mutual compromise (Which is a hot topic these days) don’t trust or respect the other people around them.

8. So much for the feud between Brady and Belichick oh and Steelers fan you are the last fan that should talk about cheating just ask the Seahawks and the 70s Steelers.

9. pmars64 says:
    March 29, 2019 at 10:43 am
    —————————–
    I really don’t know if that was true. Maybe the financial constrains of the salary cup played some role in that. But I would keep Brady over JG as well.

10. pmars64 says:
    March 29, 2019 at 10:43 am

***************

Nobody has ever presented any evidence whatsoever that Tom Brady played a role in the Patriots trading Jimmy Garoppolo to the 49ers. That’s just a narrative that drama gossips enjoy spreading. The real explanation is much more mundane. Belichick would have liked to keep Garoppolo, but contract time was coming and he couldn’t afford to pay both QBs big money without hurting the team–not to mention that JG didn’t want to continue to play backup. Boring, I know, but football is a business, not (usually) a soap opera.

Belichick liked Garoppolo because he was a good player and is younger. The coach always plans ahead and transitioning from Brady to Garoppolo would be a succession plan any intelligent coach would like. Nothing to do with some insecure ego-drive need to prove he can be successful without Brady. The Patriots hate having camera crews go behind the scenes, but they’ve done it a few times and one of them was some years ago and they showed a couple of minutes of one of these Brady/Belichick one-on-one planning meetings. It was just as described in this article. They had the kind of good give and take you’d expect from two consummate professionals, neither needing to prove anything.

11. pmars64 says:
    March 29, 2019 at 10:43 am

_______________________________________________pmars64 says:
    March 29, 2019 at 10:43 am

God, when are you guys going to get it. Garapolo’s contract was UP, at the end of that season. He was a great prospect and certainly an NFL starter, BUT he wasn’t better than Brady, and he WASN’T going to want to sit for another 2 or 5 years to get his chance.

He was GONE, period, and the Pats opted to get SOMETHING for an asset, rather than the nothing they would have gotten at the end of the season. NO conspiracy. NO back stabbing. Just a simple and obvious football move.

12. That’s a very nice thing for Bill to say about Brady but we all know most of the credit for the success goes to Bill. Take SB 53 for instance, the Patriots won in spite of very little production from Brady. I have argued, the Patriots could have won that SB with Brian Hoyer. But I appreciate Bill publicly praising Brady as it is good for their relationship.

13. pmars64 says:
    March 29, 2019 at 10:43 am

=================================

what exactly has jimmy g done to make you claim that he could easily replace brady. oh yeah, nothing.

14. @patsfanforlife

no chance of pats winning sb 53 without brady. in fact, most real fans realize this was one of bradys finest acts. he stayed within the concept of an obvious run first game plan, and never veered from it. he played game manager to perfection, then made the couple of late throws necessary to win. brian hoyer would have never led the pats on that td drive, or made that seam throw to gronk. the rams defense had our number. i feel eternally grateful that brady was out there, or we probably would have lost.

15. As mostly stated above by people that understood the Patriots situation with Jimmy G…..
    1) his contract was ending & would become free agent….Pats would have got a 3rd round comp pick the FOLLOWING year
    2) he wasn’t going to sign a cheap team friendly contract & sit behind Brady for 4-5 more years…. he wanted to be paid & be a starter… basic economics people, can’t pay your back up 25 million + a year for 4-5 years!!!
    3)by trading JG mid season the Pats got 2 things:
    A) a 2nd round pick to use THAT YEAR
    B) control where he went…. kept him out of the division & better yet, the AFC conference

I find all this Brady going to Kraft & over BB head comical….when drafted, Jimmy was insurance in caseBrady digressed which he did not do at all (see the Pats success post Jimmy)…. nuff said.

16. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    March 29, 2019 at 1:16 pm

————–

A game Bill wouldn’t have even reached if Brady didn’t bail Bill’s rear end out of giving up 24 points in the 4th quarter against KC.

17. Cheat huh? Do you ever notice how most teams that play the Patriots are very tired by the end of the game? How about the falcons saying “the long halftime show had an affect on them”. The SB against Seattle, why didn’t BB call a timeout. Why do teams mismanage the clock, 12 men on the field, the list goes on and on. But all you can come up with is they cheat… Typical haters logic. BB has his team prepared and more often than not it shows.