C.J. Anderson signs with Lions

Getty Images

The Lions’ first attempt to sign a running back away from the Rams was thwarted, but their second attempt found more success.

According to multiple reports, the Lions have signed C.J. Anderson to a one-year contract.

The Lions signed Malcolm Brown to an offer sheet as a restricted free agent last month, but the Rams matched the deal to keep Brown as the top backup to Todd Gurley. Anderson joined the Rams late last season with Brown on injured reserve and Gurley dealing with a knee injury.

Anderson ran 43 times for 299 yards and two touchdowns in the final two games of the regular season. He added 46 carries for 189 yards and two touchdowns in the postseason.

Lions head coach Matt Patricia said last week that the team does not want to wear out No. 1 back Kerryon Johnson this season. Anderson gives them a strong alternative in the backfield as they try to keep Johnson from taking too much wear and tear.

42 responses to “C.J. Anderson signs with Lions

1. I like it! A good compliment to Kerryon, and a much better signing than getting Blount last year. Another move to get us to the TOP of the North!!!

ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #ONEPRIDE

2. Good signing by the Lions. I am really surprised that other teams didn’t sign him.

3. If Kerryon comes back strong and healthy, we clearly have the best RBs in the NFC North, which is quite the turnaround from having the worst RBs for so many seasons!

4. I bet we will see a motivated and pissed off C.J. That might not be good for my Bears twice next year.

Even still best of luck C.J. I would have signed you in a heartbeat.

5. There was a lot of talk that the Lions were being sneaky with the offer to Brown in the hopes it would force the Rams to match and not be able to resign Anderson. Good work Quinn

6. Welp, I guess they won’t be trading for Duke Johnson.

I don’t understand why the Rams didn’t at least try to resign him, given how well he did for them late in the season and the fact that Gurley is going to be limited here on forward.

7. Best RB’s in the NFC north? Um no, Dalvin cook and Ameer Abdullah, with Dalvin cook being better than both of the lions running backs

8. Did somebody really say Abdullah? I hope you remember he was on Detroit so this might not be the place to tout him as some sort of great or even good RB.

9. nyneal says:

April 1, 2019 at 6:56 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

5th team in 3 years, don’t be so surprised.

10. I always say the same non-sense every single time the Lions sign someone and every single time the Lions do nothing but lose. CJ Anderson is in reality just another washed up acquisition that is not the answer. I’m looking forward to finishing in last place again this season and getting a top draft pick. Hopefully this is Patricia’s last year so I can get all excited for the next HC failure hire coming in 2020.

#ONEPLAYOFFWININ62YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Packers RB Aaron Jones is the best RB in the NFC north until proven otherwise. Cook probably has the highest ceiling but he hasn’t produced like Jones to this point.

All 3 have had some injury issues that have prevented them from reaching their full potential.

12. wide666technique says:
    April 1, 2019 at 8:25 pm

———————————————-

The Rams only signed Anderson last season because Brown was lost to injury. They were only going to bring one of them back for 2019, and decided Brown was the better fit in the offense. Once the Rams matched the Lions’ offer sheet for Brown, it seemed clear Anderson would end up elsewhere. In the end, this probably works out best for both teams.

13. He was solid down the stretch for the Rams, I’m not happy to see the Lions RBs twice a year.

14. If I was the Lions I would have put some hefty financial incentives in his contract to keep him in shape. He would easily have been signed by now, but doesn’t keep himself in tip top shape, especially with his weight.

15. The Lions could of got a better RB in Duke Johnson who would give DET another productive receiver as a weapon in the passing game to boot & they could of got him for a late round pick on the cheap @2$M dollars next season. I’d much rather have Duke over Brown, especially given that Kerryon Johnson is a big dual threat back himself.

16. With this move, the Lions may just leapfrog the Packers for third place in the NFC North.

17. CJ has been known to show up to camp out of shape and overweight. His lack of discipline in the offseason is the reason for his notoriously slow starts. He’s always been one of the best backs in the 2nd half of the season and playoffs but his slow starts have kept him from having some special seasons. It’s probably why the Panthers cut him last year, by the time he started running well their season was over!

18. Great signing!! I was shocked that he had not been signed already. He, basically came in off the street, and to accomplish what he did for the Rams, was not an easy feat!! Talk about a slap in the face…..he’ll do great with that chip on his shoulder. I hope he does well, and makes the Rams regret not keeping him 🙂 (except when he plays my team 🙂 )

19. endtimesparty says:
    April 1, 2019 at 8:49 pm
    Do the Lions know their roster is limited to 53 players. They can’t carry 200 plus players.

Actually it’s 90 players this time of year, and they have now have 69 under contract. So yeah, I think they know!

20. This dude was clutch down the stretch last year with Gurley out. He was the one of the main reasons for my FF championship!

21. Dalvin cook and Ameer Abdullah??? Lol Dalvin Cook can’t stay on the field because he’s always hurt and Ameer Abdullah is a complete waste. Believe me I know because I’m a Lions fan. C.J. should be the perfect compliment to Kerryon. Im excited to see the Lions running game this year.

22. wolf9653 says:
    April 2, 2019 at 8:07 am
    …C.J. should be the perfect compliment to Kerryon. Im excited to see the Lions running game this year.

——————

Now, we’ll hopefully make the right moves to strengthen the O-Line in the draft to really help the running game.

23. xiiprestige says:
    April 1, 2019 at 8:38 pm

—————

The fact that you brought up Ameer Abdullah in your argument is the definition of the word “delusional” 🤦‍♂️

24. Sad to see him go from the Rams. However, I get it from the Rams business point of view as Brown is younger and cheaper. Best of luck to CJ. Hope he tears it up in Detroit.

25. The over/under on how much he will weight when training camp starts is 300lbs….I’ll take the over…

26. xiiprestige says:
    April 1, 2019 at 8:38 pm

———

Please child….Cook stinks. How do I know? I was foolish enough to draft him in a FF team

27. The Lions are trash and I know it, but I continue to boast every move they make with ZERO results!!! LoooooL!!!

#ONEPLAYOFFWININ62YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!