Tom Brady’s April Fool’s Day message: “I’m retiring”

Getty Images

At age 41, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is well beyond the normal NFL retirement age. He’s also squarely within the dad-joke demographic.

Brady trotted one out in the very first tweet from his official Twitter account, announcing “I’m retiring. In my spare time, I’ll be tweeting.”

To make if a little more edge/less dorky, Brady added “#LFG,” which presumably stands for “let’s f–king go.”

Yes, it’s an April Fool’s Day gag. And he’s not the first football player to trot out a phony April 1st retirement. Running back Le'Veon Bell did it three years ago, for example.

Three years from now, Brady may still not be retired. Given the way he played in 2018, he may even have three more years beyond that. Regardless, Jets, Bills, and Dolphins fans should not get their hopes up yet; Brady isn’t going anywhere.

32 responses to “Tom Brady’s April Fool’s Day message: “I’m retiring”

1. terripet says:
    April 1, 2019 at 1:19 pm
    He throws like he’s retired

———

Maybe his shoulder is tired from hoisting all those Lombardi Trophies?

2. Before settling on that April fools joke, he also considered “Belichek did not videotape other teams” and ” Even though I have smaller hands, I prefer a fully inflated regulation NFL football”.

3. If he tweeted ” my hair is real, i don’t use hair plugs ” that would’ve been a better joke

4. ariani1985 says:
    April 1, 2019 at 1:34 pm
    His 10 yard passes already did! Ziiiing!
    —————————————-

It’s amazing when people throw junk like this out without looking at ACTUAL STATS. By the way how did your 30 yard pass QB do on the golf course during Super Bowl Week

5. Even though I have smaller hands, I prefer a fully inflated regulation NFL football
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, he’s on record saying he likes the ball at the legal low end of 12.5, but yea let’s go with that. By the way, since the joke of deflategate, Brady has 3 SB rings, 2 SB MVPs, and a league MVP. You could give him a bowling ball and he would be successful…..that’s what GOATs do.

6. If he tweeted ” my hair is real, i don’t use hair plugs ” that would’ve been a better joke

Actually, a better joke would have been “Peyton Manning actually is a better QB that I am. Oh, so is Joe Montana, because of course 4>6”.

7. Before settling on that April fools joke, he also considered “Belichek did not videotape other teams” and ” Even though I have smaller hands, I prefer a fully inflated regulation NFL football”.

He also contemplated, “Eagles are a dynasty”

8. terripet says:
    April 1, 2019 at 1:19 pm
    He throws like he’s retired

—————–

Good enough to win the Super Bowl is good enough for me.

9. superpatriotsfan says:
    April 1, 2019 at 2:55 pm
    Lame. Brady is like that lame parent who tries to join in on activities people younger than him do but when he shows up, it’s not cool anymore.
    ————-

That’s correct, which is what makes him cool… He owns his dorkiness.

10. jonathankrobinson424 says:
    April 1, 2019 at 1:23 pm
    I love Tom Brady. He’s the best QB in the history of the NFL…better than Joe Montana.

APRIL FOOLS!

————

I think you’re missing the point of how April fools jokes work. You can’t start with something true.

11. thermanmerman99 says:
    April 1, 2019 at 2:02 pm

—————

I don’t really get it. Having hair is better than not having hair. Ask Prime.

12. What a wit, what a wag!! Wide open receivers, a clean pocket – every day is April 1st in Foxboro!

13. terripet says:
    April 1, 2019 at 1:19 pm
    He throws like he’s retired

We especially like all those throws he has that happen in February, you know, when your guy is resting on the beach.

14. terripet says:
    April 1, 2019 at 1:19 pm
    He throws like he’s retired

***************

And yet, he has more playoff wins as a starting QB (30) than 27 FRANCHISES do…the only ones who have more are SF (31), GB (34), Dallas (35) and Pitt (36) and of course the Patriots who hold the NFL record with 37 playoff wins.

Not too bad for a guy who can’t throw…heck, if he plays 3 more years he might have more playoff wins than EVERY NFL team!

15. And yet, he has more playoff wins as a starting QB (30) than 27 FRANCHISES do

That’s 2 more full seasons of football including losses. The Patriots have really gotten their money’s worth in Tim Brady.

16. bullcharger says:
    April 1, 2019 at 3:41 pm
    That’s correct, which is what makes him cool… He owns his dorkiness.
    ———————–
    Wrong. It makes him a bigger dork. If he didn’t cheat err win those SBs you wouldn’t care about him. NEXT!

17. When Brady retires he will have any option to do anything he wants. He will not have to settle for pizza commercials or insurance commercials. Peyton will probably come work for him.