Leonard Fournette arrested for driving on suspended license

Getty Images

Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette‘s failure to pay a speeding ticket he got last year led to his arrest in Jacksonville on Thursday.

According to a booking report from the Jackonville Sheriff’s Office, Fournette was arrested for knowingly driving on a suspended license along with the speeding violation. Per multiple reports, his license was suspended after he failed to pay a speeding ticket he received last November.

Fournette was released on a $1,500 bond and the team issued a statement about the arrest.

“The Jacksonville Jaguars are aware of the situation involving running back Leonard Fournette and are continuing to gather more information. No further comment will be provided at this time.”

Fournette missed eight games in 2018 due to injury and a suspension for leaving the bench to join in a fight during a game against the Bills. That suspension led the team to void the remaining guarantees in his contract, although Fournette is challenging that decision. Thursday’s arrest could open the door to another round of discipline from the league under the Personal Conduct Policy.

40 responses to “Leonard Fournette arrested for driving on suspended license

1. What is it with the NFL players of today when there is way more of these types of unexcused actions

2. He signed a contract in 2017 for $27M including a $17M+ signing bonus and he ignored paying for a speeding ticket. Funny how he doesn’t have money to pay the ticket but he has money to post $1500 for bail. But hey, he’s an NFL player so he probably figures he can get by with anything. Remember what Jerry Glanville said though, the NFL stands for Not For Long when you do stuff like that…..and you’re only available half the time and even then don’t produce. Clearly the Jags made a mistake by picking this guy. He’s going to miss even more games after this and they’ll go after his guarantees again. That’ll make it easier to cut him next year when it won’t be so detrimental to their salary cap.

3. youngnoize says:
    April 11, 2019 at 3:40 pm
    ———————-
    Umm, the article reads “knowingly driving on a suspended license”. So, I’m not “criminalizing” him, he is “criminalizing” himself.

4. youngnoize says:
    April 11, 2019 at 3:40 pm

0 7 Rate This

….um no it doesnt…..unless you continue to break the law

5. While driving in a suspended license in the grand scheme of things is not the worse offense in the world…WTF man?
    The whole series of events that lead to this is head slapping.

You get a ticket. Why in the world wouldn’t you pay it? You have millions. Pay it that week if you don’t want to contest it.

So now your license is suspended. Whether or not you knew your license was suspended I don’t know as I’m not going to just go off the sheriff’s office accusation but you should have known.

All this could have been avoided by just paying a ticket that couldn’t have been more than $500. Being stupid is expensive. I know from years of experience during my 20s so I can sympathize but man.

6. Cue all the people who never did anything wrong in their lives. SMH.

It isn’t “stupid” to not pay a ticket. Might be stupid to suspend a license for it. He got a speeding ticket he forgot about (some of us less-than-perfect people have done that). It wasn’t a DUI or reckless driving. He was speeding (some of us less-than-perfect have done that too.)

Just because someone forgets a ticket hardly means he thinks he is above the law. Might be…wait for it…that it slipped his mind. SMH again.

7. Cautionary tale…looked like a safe pick in the first round. Dominated the SEC in college and literally ran over teams. Now i wouldn’t want my favorite team to trade a bag of Skittles for him.

8. In my very younger days I remember getting a few parking tickets and simply forgetting about paying them. Luckily I did finally remember them and wound up paying them before I was ever arrested. Its dumb but its not unheard of.

9. “People are posting like this isn’t something that happens to normal people everyday.”

Yeah it happens…to stupid people. Normal people know to settle a speeding ticket before it turns into a suspended license. Even if you’re dead broke you can go before the judge at a hearing, plead poverty and setup a payment plan or if they are in a good mood, get a huge discount on the original fine amount.

10. @ youngnoize

“People are posting like this isn’t something that happens to normal people everyday. Stop criminalizing him. It happens all the time.”

Fournette is who criminalized it by not paying his ticket, swifty. Don’t diminish his negligence and stupidity here. Yes, he is a young guy, but he is a millionaire who can afford any ticket he gets. So not only does he fail to pay his original speeding ticket from last year, but he is then driving on a suspended license AND speeding on top of it. He had multiple chances to take care of the original ticket, but he was negligent and stupid on multiple occasions.

Fourneette has now been arrested, will pay fines for both speeding tickets (and likely late fees for failure to pay the first ticket) AND a fine for driving on a suspended license. On top of that he may lose his license, he may get disciplined by the league, and could miss games (and paychecks) as a result of his ignorant behavior. Let’s not forget that Fournette was suspended without pay last season which voided his remaining guaranteed money on his rookie contract. Had Jacksonville cut him, he could have lost 7 million. He also lost nearly $100,000 from that suspension for coming off the bench and getting into a fight. Stupid is as stupid does.

Stupidity like this may happen commonly, but the average person won’t get suspended by their employer, nor will they forfeit hundreds of thousands of dollars or possibly millions of dollars from a voided contract due to that stupidity.

11. In the offseason, players are off the clock. Therefore, Fournette should be referred to as “private citizen Fournette” or “[insert name of agent]’s Fournette”.
    The article implies that the Jaguars are somehow responsible for the status of Fournette’s drivers license and Fournette isn’t responsible.
    SMH

12. savagenation2011 says:
    April 11, 2019 at 3:49 pm
    youngnoize says:
    April 11, 2019 at 3:40 pm

….um no it doesnt…..unless you continue to break the law
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In fairness, Florida licensing stuff is goofy and he may have been unaware of any issue. I had a FL license my entire time in the military. The last several years was spent in SD. When I retired I turned in my FL license to SD and got a SD license as required. Years later I moved from SD to AZ and tried to get an AZ license. They couldn’t issue one because Florida suspended “my license” 90 days prior to my move to AZ. I had not had a FL license for several years and no notification was ever made to my listed address or my parents’ Florida address. Several calls later and nobody could tell me anything except the system said it was suspended on x date “for points” and there was nothing they could do. They didn’t care that they suspended a licence that did not exist and could not tell me the incidents that led to “points”. I even called SD to make sure FL was not just acting on something SD did. No issues at all with SD license. So I wound up paying to take an on-line safe driving course, printing the certificate, mailing it to FL and waiting for them to mail me a letter stating my license was no longer suspended. The entire time I still had the valid SD license but was technically not good in AZ due to the change requirement within x number of days. He may have been aware but it is not uncommon for somebody to mess up tracking.

13. Let’s stop pretending this is a big deal. He failed to pay a speeding ticket. That’s the basic story. The idea this is a real issue is silly.

14. He is probably used to Baton Rouge were stuff like that was taken care of for him as part of the program.

15. When I was in my 20s I too went through a period where, for whatever reason, I didn’t pay my traffic or parking citations. I was frankly too busy partying to care. Yeah, it caught up with me eventually lol. I pay my fines now.

16. I don’t like the guy, butt he probably gets a huge bag of mail every day from poachers, scammers, schemers, along with gobs of legit mail. He’s on the road, at practice, doing interviews, celeb endorsements, visits, etc., and ott wouldn’t be hard to overlook something like this. A business manager would help, but he’s a young guy and probably still thinks like a frat boy. He didn’t kill anyone. Its a non starter

17. objectivefbfan says:
    April 11, 2019 at 3:53 pm
    Cue all the people who never did anything wrong in their lives. (blah blah)
    ——————————————-

If Fournette played for a certain other team you regularly haunt you’d be calling for his head, lol

18. people say they forgot to pay it when their broke
    he’s got the money to pay it ,he could have sent someone else down to pay it
    no excuses for him,now it’s going to cost him more money

19. How dopey can some of these guys be? It boggles the mind to wonder where their brains are sometimes.

20. It’s true that this offense for most people isn’t a big deal but for someone with a ton of money and a chance to make millions more it clearly idiotic. The Jags would be wise to invest a high pick on a running back.

21. melikefootball says:
    April 11, 2019 at 3:37 pm

——————————
    This stuff happens all the time, but normally to non famous people. One of my friends got nabbed for exactly this (because he is an idiot) back in February. Fortunately the majority is smart enough to not have this stuff happen with them. But there is still a healthy enough minority not smart enough so it keeps happening. The only reason Fournette’s case is news is because he is a celebrity.