Dalvin Cook feels like he’s finally back to himself

Getty Images

Vikings running back Dalvin Cook seemed to be on track for a stellar season in 2017, until a non-contact torn ACL ended his rookie campaign. He’s now feeling like he’s ready to roll, again.

I’m getting back to how I used to feel,” Cook said this week, via Dane Mizutani of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “My confidence [is] out the roof. I feel great. I’ve had a great offseason.”

Cook had 444 yards from scrimmage through four starts as a rookie, before suffering the injury that sidelined him until 2018. Last year, chronic hamstring problems held Cook to 615 rushing yards and 305 receiving yards, in 11 regular-season games. He had only one 100-yard rushing performance.

Cook thinks he can do much more this year.

“I feel like the ceiling is real high for me,” Cook said. “Everything I want is still in front of me. Everything I can do is still in front of me. I’m capable of doing a lot of things. I still haven’t scratched the surface yet.”

To get there, the key will be to stay healthy. Cook has yet to prove he can do that. For running backs, it’s a critical component of the player’s overall game.

38 responses to “Dalvin Cook feels like he’s finally back to himself

1. An injury free season for Dalvin could be just what Vikings fans have been waiting very patiently for.

2. When healthy he is a dual threat. Look for a lot of screen passes to Dalvin this year, and many more TD’s.

3. Cool glad to see others here. With the draft coming up we should have some decent discussions. Die hard Vikes fan my whole life so finding a place to post with others is a welcome site. I’m thinking offense line in round one. Biggest baddest dude available when our pick comes up. Heck I’d take another in round 2.

4. Not being able to stay healthy was one of the reasons he wasn’t picked in the 1st round…well, that and multiple league issues from his early teens into college.

5. I guess the experts thing the Vikes are going to be pretty good. 5 prime time games. Not wild about that. I’d rather watch them at noon on Sunday. On the other hand it works out better for Red Zone. If the Vikes are on I can’t watch red zone. Just not he same.

6. I like Dalvin but cannot trust that he can suit up and withstand 20 touches per game. If I were the Vikings, I would make sure to draft at least one versatile RB next week. In mock drafts I do, I am able to get some very promising help at RB, while still rebuilding OL and filling other key positions. But, they had better not discount the need to have another dynamic starter at RB or it will bite them.

7. Liberalsruineverything says:
    April 19, 2019 at 8:57 pm
    Usually takes two years to fully come back from an ACL. Just proves what a freakish athlete that Adrian Peterson is to do it in like 8 months and pick up where he left off.
    ____________

HGH has an amazing effect on the body when it comes to overall healing and rejuvenation.
    Please, don’t ever pretend it was anything other than what it was.

8. It sure would be great to see what he could do with an injury free year, running & catching, plus a much needed healthy & improved offensive line.

9. cheeseisfattening says:
    April 20, 2019 at 12:53 pm
    He is fortunate to have his QB and teammate not making fun of his body. Not every NFC North RB can say that.

—————-

So true. I suppose I should also cut this kid a break.

All the other teams in the NFC North have QBs that don’t buckle under pressure, and can beat teams with winning records.

The Vikes don’t have that luxury.

10. Purple is for Pansies says:
    April 20, 2019 at 8:21 am
    I read the same headline last year.

This guy is injury prone and that’s bad news behind the worst offensive line in league history.
    ———-

Ironic, packers fans mocking injuries when they spent the last two years making excuses because of their injury prone super soft qb.

11. Liberalsruineverything says:
    April 20, 2019 at 4:25 pm
    Hey, remember when Ted Thompson passed on Dalvin Cook twice? Then the Packers spent the whole next season with a WR playing running back. Then Old Ted got the boot. Ahhh good times…..
    __________

I’m more upset that Ted Thompson traded out of the first round and passed on T.J. Watt.
    Thompson came back in the 5th round and snapped up Aaron Jones who’s been much more successful than Cook has ever been.
    And will likely continue that trend.

And as far as the good times……watching the Vikings flounder and underachieve in year 6 of Zimmer’s useless head coaching regime is plenty of entertainment for Packer fans.
    Just please, hide the stuffed animals.
    It’s going to get ugly.

12. Packer trolls – how bad is your “much improved” D to let Cook walk 25ish yards untouched in the end zone last time they played?

13. RMoss84HOF says:
    April 20, 2019 at 6:01 pm
    _________

Yes, that 25ish, untouched, Td run award is going to look so cool.
    I hope they put it right next to the Minneapolis Missed Tackle Miracle Trophy in the ACME Bank stadium’s broom closet.

14. Liberalsruineverything says:
    April 20, 2019 at 4:25 pm
    Hey, remember when Ted Thompson passed on Dalvin Cook twice?
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You say that like it’s a bad thing. Packer run game is easily on par with Vikings. In fact, Packer run game outperformed Vikings two of last three years. Knowing that……..what’s your point?

15. Good to see Ace and Gary didn’t take Easter off and still were trolling Vikings threads.

16. Wafflestomp says:
    April 20, 2019 at 9:58 am
    Liberalsruineverything says:
    April 19, 2019 at 8:57 pm
    ____________

Please, don’t ever pretend it was anything other than what it was.
    ——-
    This guy…haha…hey how is Aaron Rodgers and that team crippling contract coming along for you?