Nick Bosa on calling Kaepernick a clown: I respect what he’s done

AP

49ers defensive end Nick Bosa apologized for his social media activity Friday and called his tweet criticizing Colin Kaepernick “a bad decision.”

Bosa referred to the former 49ers starting quarterback as a “clown” in August 2016 after Kaepernick took a knee for the national anthem to protest police brutality and racial injustice. The 49ers made Bosa the second overall choice Thursday.

“No, it wasn’t directed towards that,” Bosa said, via Matt Maiocco of NBCSportsBayArea.com. “It’s not like I’m saying his stance and what he was doing. That’s not what I was talking about at all.

“It was a specific thing that happened and me as a young kid, [with a] thought popping into my head and, boom, just decided to tweet it out. Bad decision. I respect what he’s done. If it empowers anybody, then he’s doing a good thing. I apologize for that.”

Bosa vows to “think a lot more” before posting on social media. Before the draft, he scrubbed his social media of his conservative views, including tweets praising President Trump, admitting it was prompted by the possibility of being drafted by San Francisco.

Black Sports Online posted a thread showing Bosa followed multiple social media accounts with white nationalist leanings. Bosa also has criticized Beyonce’s music as “complete trash” and called Black Panther the “worst Marvel movie,” prompting some to question whether his comments were attacks against black culture.

Now, Bosa has landed in one of the most liberal cities in the country.

“I definitely made some insensitive decisions throughout my life, and I’m just excited to be here with a clean slate,” Bosa said. “Sorry if I hurt anybody. I definitely didn’t intend for that to be the case. I think me being here is even better for me as a person because I don’t think there’s anywhere, any city, that you could really be in that would help you grow as much as this one will.

“I’m going to be surrounded by all different kinds, so I’m going to grow as a person, and I’m going to be on my own. In college, you still have that support system around you. Now I’m here, I’m going to be on my own. I’m going to grow up and learn a lot of new things.”

38 responses to “Nick Bosa on calling Kaepernick a clown: I respect what he’s done

1. You don’t have to say you’re sorry, Nick. I mean I understand why you said it, to save face, but the majority of us think Kaep is terrible. We are with you, brother. Welcome to the Niners.

2. niners816 says:
    April 26, 2019 at 7:01 pm
    ______________________________________________________________

Actually, the majority of us don’t.

3. It was because of Kaep’s strong play that got SF to a SB, that they should have one had coach not attempt to throw to Crabtree 4 straight times at the end of the game. Kaep owned the entire NFL that year, as no team could stop him, not even a strong GB defense in a Championship game played on the frozen tundra in GB!

No room for white nationalists in San Francisco, and Bosa knew it, which is why he scrubbed his Twitter account of all the WN leaning comments. SF is not Charlottesville! No room for tiki torch marches in the NFL. An apology was owed, and him doing showed class.

4. You shouldnt have to apologize for political views, and trying to claim he is racist because he didnt like a movie is dumb, and if people stopped then Spike Lee would finally go away.

5. skawh says:
    April 26, 2019 at 7:46 pm

Kaep was a clown and is a bigot; don’t apologize Bosa!

———————————————————

I agree 100% brother!

6. Leman Russ says:
    April 26, 2019 at 7:47 pm
    ——————————————
    No, he’s racist because he’s agreed with nationalist racist views. But I guess you didn’t read that part. You people always deflecting.

7. Bosa is showing he’s much smarter than all of these internet trolls. It’s about endorsements and being accepted in a place where his views aren’t the majority both in the area and in the locker room. I respect for being a man about it.

8. Sign your contract, and then keep your conservative beliefs and keep tweeting positive Trump sayings! To hell with those leftest leaning commie anti-American scum in San fran!

9. When Bosa takes the Niners to the SB and brings them back from a 28-6 deficit to 4 yards from the win, he can trash Kaepernick.
    Until then, he should just hope he stays healthy; NFL players uniformly back Kaep and don’t take kindly to some nobody popping of about social evils he knows nothing about.

10. Sign your contract, and then keep your conservative beliefs and keep tweeting positive Trump sayings! To hell with those leftest leaning commie anti-American scum in San fran!
    _______________________________________________________

They’ll turn him wait and see.

11. See this is a PERFECT example of why social media is the end of civilization.

You got mouthy meatheads like Boss spouting off about things they almost ALWAYS wind up apologizing for.

And taking it back now just makes you look like a weasel, Nick.

12. vikinghooper says:
    April 26, 2019 at 8:15 pm
    ——–
    Preach! It was Harbaugh’s fault SF didn’t win that SB. Kaep balled out!

13. There’s context here that people in comments are conveniently ignoring:

Bosa, “followed multiple social media accounts with white nationalist leanings.” There’s a specific Instagram account Bosa has followed for years that supports the white supremacist protesters who marched in Charlottesville. I’m sure he’s the kind of guy who says things like, “I’m not a racist, but …” followed by a racist statement.

Pragmatically speaking, the Niners organization does not care one way or another. They did their homework. The team’s only concerns are that he plays well enough to be worth drafting in the first round and that he doesn’t get hurt. NFL fans are in the habit of overlooking anything and everything if it means having a winning team.

14. I don’t respect what Kaepernick’s done and neither do millions of other Americans who care about this country.

15. Do people just pretend Kaepernick didnt support che guevera who literal wanted to destory our country and partnered with the Russian to do so?

Pick your heros carefully boys and girls

16. nyneal says:
    April 26, 2019 at 8:35 pm
    ——-
    Fair enough. But millions of other Americans don’t respect being shot unarmed by racist police. Some clearly care nothing about that fact, and act like they want to revisit the 50’s. Good on Kaep speaking up against police officers who violate the civil rights of minorities.

17. nyneal says:
    April 26, 2019 at 8:35 pm
    ——-

—————————————————————————————

And that’s what is wrong with what people like you say about police. There are only a very small percentage of police who are racist and people forget that the police do a very difficult job and put their life in danger every time they put on the uniform. How many cops were shot by minorities last year? Do you care about that?
    But all of this is not what I object to about Kaep. It’s the fact that he had no right to protest where he did and the fact that he blanketed all cops with the racist label. Plus, he disgraced our flag and our Anthem, which means a whole lot to millions of Americans who appreciate that they are fortunate to be living in the greatest country in the world.
    You think Kaep is wonderful and I think he’s a lousy rat. How do you justify the socks he wore and the t-shirt supporting Castro? Go to Miami and speak to the Cuban minorities who had to leave their families behind in Cuba because of that brutal dictator.

18. Don’t apologize. You’re never going to appease the people who condemn you and you’re going to lose the respect of people who agree with you. Stand your ground like a man.