Packers downplay Rashan Gary’s decision to wear a shoulder brace

AP

Michigan linebacker Rashan Gary enters the NFL with concerns about his shoulder. Concerns that have been downplayed by him and by his new team, the Packers.

The downplaying continued on Friday, when Gary showed up for his first practice as a Packers with (drum roll) a brace on his shoulder.

“Yeah, when I got hurt at Michigan, I came back, and I wore the brace,” Gary said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “I’m comfortable with it, wearing it. Me and the trainers decided just to wear it. I feel comfortable playing with it, so I’m rocking it.”

Coach Matt LaFleur also tried to adopt a “this is fine” vibe.

“I’ll probably get more into that with those guys as we move forward,” LaFleur said regarding Gary’s shoulder. “I think it’s just totally precautionary.”

Whether it’s totally precautionary or partially (or totally) something more remains to be seen. But no one can say the Packers didn’t have a full and fair ability to poke and prod the shoulder before making Gary the 12th pick in the draft. To the extent the condition scared off other teams that may have taken Gary earlier, that’s good news for Green Bay.

If, of course, the shoulder really is fine.

50 responses to “Packers downplay Rashan Gary’s decision to wear a shoulder brace

1. Mike: Ever have an old or partial injury? Ever play a sport? You wear a brace. More of these guys should. It’s smart. You should be writing more articles about guys with past issues that aren’t wearing braces!

The question is, what moves does a position require and does a brace for a given ailment restrict that necessary movement.

2. golforepar says:
    May 4, 2019 at 10:10 am

26 reps and injured? How many “healthy” LBs didn’t do that? The Packers surgeon is world class. He is trusted!

————————-

Can still do bench press reps with a torn labrum depending on the severity of it. In many cases it’s the pulling that causes pain. Which he will be doing quite a bit of on the field in the NFL.

3. As a former Michigander living in Los Angeles now I can say I saw all of our games and his shoulder wouldn’t be of any concern. However his sub-par play in every game would be. A colossal disappointment. As the number one recruit, he made very minimal impact on games

4. Gary would have been a top 5 pick, so the Packers got a great bargain. The shoulder will give him as much trouble as Frank Gore’s knee has given him.

5. golforepar says:
    May 4, 2019 at 10:25 am

sigbouncer, I had a torn labrum. You have no idea what you are talking about!

——————————-

As have I.

6. Funny, that ACTUAL MD’s say it is “NOT a torn labrum” and does not require surgery. The prior injury at Michigan was a “subluxcation” which is basically just a partial dislocation.

If doctors said Gary had a torn labrum and required surgery the Packers would have had Gary have surgery the day after the draft. Instead they paid him a 9 million dollar signing bonus yesterday and he is practicing and preparing for the season with no concerns.

MD’s and NFL medical personnel know a lot more than you. Keep trying though on many names. This is your life.👌

#GoPackGo!🧀

7. Sounds like the same doctors who let Kevin King practice with his shoulder injury. Interesting choice, take care if it now in the off-season or do nothing and deny to save face for drafting Gary so high

8. He took plays off when he played for us, and seemed like he was “saving himself” for the NFL at times. Then he blows off the team and skips their bowl game, leading to the slaughter by Florida. Great teammate. Just don’t count on him when you need him. Winovich was FAR superior to Gary. The Patriots got a steal when they drafted him. Wish him all the best. Gary, not so much….

9. Every LB should wear a shoulder brace. It isn’t heavy, no restriction on normal movement,and prevents injuries.

These guys do not have to “prove” they are tough by not protecting themselves as much as possible — that’s just dumb.

10. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    May 4, 2019 at 3:28 pm
    It’s probably nothing. Remember last year when Rodgers wore that knee brace so it looked like he was still hurt?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remember last year when Cousins wore a uniform so it looked like he was an actual football player.

11. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    May 4, 2019 at 3:49 pm
    Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    May 4, 2019 at 3:28 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ——

And yet the sensitive excuses making diva cant beat cousins.

12. RMoss84HOF says:
    May 4, 2019 at 5:06 pm
    The Almighty Cabbage says:
    May 4, 2019 at 3:49 pm
    Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    May 4, 2019 at 3:28 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ——

And yet the sensitive excuses making diva cant beat cousins.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And yet, you’d trade Cousins for Rodgers in an instant and everyone here knows it.

13. BTW… I absolutely love it when you get cracked under one username, then switch to another username and try to redeem yourself. It’s never worked for you, but keep trying. I admire your spunk.

14. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    May 4, 2019 at 5:16 pm

—————————————

15. And I love it even better when you keep switching. Magician to Moss to Liberals. I know there have been days where I’ve seen you switch 5 or 6 times; I don’t know if we’ll get there this time, but we’re off to a pretty good start. Be nice and do an old man a favor… jump in the way-back machine and bust out Ross Tucker’s Hair, just for old times’ sake.

16. Why on earth would the Vikings want to trade a Cousins for an old, broken, more expensive, coach killing, cancerous diva that can’t beat Cousins or win a quality road game?

+++++

Zimmer and Cousins have one playoff victory combined their last 27 seasons. So there is that…..

17. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    May 4, 2019 at 6:51 pm
    —-
    Just because multiple people are laughing at your comments does not make them the same person. If laughing at your comments made people the same person there would only be one troll on this entire site.

18. packertruth says:
    May 4, 2019 at 7:05 pm

+++++

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow. I knew they had not yet found a lot of success at this point in their respective careers, although there’s still time, but I didn’t realize it was that bleak. Creepin’ Jebus, that makes the voices in my head go full Shatner, repeating like a mantra, “so… much… fail.”

19. Fantastic! Magician to Moss to Liberals to Cheesie. Gee,I wonder how long it will take GTO to make his appearance? He generally follows Cheesie in the batting order, so he should be up next. Of course now that I’ve said it, I may get disappointed… unless it’s Ross Tucker’s Hair. That would be epic.

20. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    May 4, 2019 at 7:23 pm
    ————————————

Gosh that’s some serious paranoia coming from a cheesehead. If that were true it would take some sort of weird obsession that the accuser is probably guilty of. Besides, I’m way better looking than those other guys.

21. ariani1985 says:
    May 4, 2019 at 9:11 pm
    Lettuce almighty sure is triggered!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

You forgot to misspell anything; or everything. It’s almost like you’re not nearly as… challenged… as you make yourself out to be. Why on Earth would someone do that… ?

22. I dunno, Marvin. A while back, somebody (not me) apparently smelled a rat and called him or her out for all of a sudden becoming lucid; he or she then went into way, WAY challenged mode and has been in that mode ever since… until just now.

Maybe it’s a Jebus Miracle!

23. The LaFleur era has put the LaFEAR of god into the little guy. His complete mental breakdowns on multiple SN’s in every Packers thread are showing more fear, jealousy, and butthurt with each passing second.

24. Didn’t Bosa blow off half the season because of injury? He was picked 2nd, yet nobody questions that pick? Oh little barneys to the north, your fans truly are obsessive, calling Gary a bust before his 1st practice!

25. freefromwhatyouare says:
    May 5, 2019 at 8:40 am
    The LaFleur era has put the LaFEAR of god

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I really don’t think LaFleur is putting the fear of god in anybody. He has zero experience at being a head coach. Let’s give the little guy a couple of seasons under his belt before we put him in the same category as the God almighty.

26. Era means a span of time. Not referring to one person. The McCarthy era was about a lot more than just Mike McCarthy. Since the beginning of the LaFleur era your breakdowns have increased again.

27. The LaFleur era has put the LaFEAR of god
    _____
    The last time a Packer coach made the playoffs in his first year was Curly Lambeau. In fact I believe Holmgren was the only other Packer coach to have a winning record in his first year coaching the Packer (I don’t care enough to look that up to confirm). Teams are not afraid to play against LaFleur, rather as Sean Payton said they can’t wait to play against his coaching.

28. I think this whole thing is an overreaction. If you’ve been an athlete you will understand how helpful a brace can be. I played rugby all through college, and at the beginning of my third season I tore my right labrum. After playing and practicing with it torn for a bit and having it dislocate a couple of times I got a brace/harness or whatever you want to call it, and it looked very similar to this one. It wrapped around my chest and then held my upper arm nice and tight. When I started playing in that brace, it felt amazing. I felt so much more confident using my arm to tackle and wrap up and overtime it helped my worries of another dislocation subside. I played nearly two full years with a completely torn labrum because of a brace like this one. It was able to provide the strength, stability, and confidence in the joint that I did not have since I had injured it. The only drawback was it limited my flexibility of the joint very slightly. I would still take the brace any day. After the two years I got surgery to fix my shoulder and it went perfectly fine. Even still, if I am doing something I know is overly physical for my upper body, I still will use that brace just a precaution.

If doctors within the Packers organization and at the combine both concluded his shoulder will hold up through an NFL offseason and season, then I would assume the brace is a precautionary measure not the last line of defense before a players’ arm falls off for good. I think fans and the media alike are blowing this out of proportion and overreacting. Multiple nationally renowned medical doctors have flagged this as no more than a future concern. The brace is likely no more than a safety measure the Packers organization encouraged him to take to decrease any existing risk of accelerating Gary’s timeline to surgery. As for him needing a surgery eventually, that is not a concern. Offseason surgeries are just a part of the game, it is hardly ever an indication of a players’ status as a bust. Especially given how sports surgeons over the past decade have drastically decreased rehabilitation times and improved how quickly an injured athlete can return to their former self. Based on how he performed this offseason with this injury I’d say it is safe to say if Gary becomes a bust, it will not be because of this shoulder injury. Conversely, if he becomes a star, it will not be in spite of this shoulder injury. So calm down Packers fans and have a beer. May is way too early to be freaking out about the upcoming season.

29. dbrown48

What you say about that type of injury and using a brace is true, but his projection to be picked later in the draft was also the expectation to do more in college and why he didn’t. Was he just saving his body for the NFL and getting paid? Time will tell.

30. freefromwhatyouare says:
    May 5, 2019 at 8:40 am
    The LaFleur era has put the LaFEAR of god into the little guy.
    ———————————

He’s French. Nobody who’s French puts the fear of god in anybody.