Ryan Shazier dances at his wedding

Getty Images

When Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier was stretchered off the field with a severe spinal cord injury on December 4, 2017, there were fears that he would never walk again. On Friday night, Shazier showed off perhaps the most important step in his remarkable recovery.

Shazier got married on Friday, and video shows him dancing with his bride at the reception, moving around on the dance floor gracefully and not giving any hint that he had previously been paralyzed.

The Steelers have placed Shazier on the reserve/physically unable to perform list for this season, and they’ve said there is no chance he will be able to play in 2019. But Shazier says his ultimate goal is to play football again, and seeing video like that from his wedding makes it hard to doubt him.

It’s a tribute to modern medicine and Shazier’s hard work that he has reached the point where he can celebrate his marriage on his own terms.

[tweet https://twitter.com/Steel_Faithful/status/1124548446919196673%5D

69 responses to “Ryan Shazier dances at his wedding

1. That’s awesome! I am the father of a C-6 incomplete quadriplegic (from a car accident) and I could not be any happier for Shazier and his family!

2. Absolutely amazing! Can’t be anymore happy for Ryan! I hope he knows that if he ultimately doesn’t make it back to football it’s ok, he didn’t fail because the inspiration he provided for millions is much bigger than football. Thank you, Mr. Shazier and god bless!

3. ‘That’s awesome! I am the father of a C-6 incomplete quadriplegic (from a car accident) and I could not be any happier for Shazier and his family!’

And this comment is getting downvotes ? Seriously?

4. Happy for him, and really glad the 20% chance of walking diagnosis was wrong.
    But please don’t risk it all to play again.

5. That is so awesome, couldn’t be happier for Shazier and his family.

6. Team loyalties aside as people this is just a pure, feel good story. Prayers to him and his family that his rehab continues swimmingly and that he can walk/run without any complications. That being said I hope he’s never allowed on the football field again, and sad as it would be there is no reason any doctor should risk him possibly paralyzing himself.

7. He’s the ONLY good story going for the Steelers. Their season is over before it starts!

8. You have to be a very sad very pathetic person to put a thumbs down on this joyous story. The six of you should be ashamed

9. As a Ravens fan, all I can hope is that we see him line up again & should he tackle Lamar Jackson for a loss…..I’ll cheer for him. ONCE. Then he goes back to being a stinkin’ Steeler. Till then….love seeing how well he is progressing.

10. Nice story now if Ryan will stop trying to make a comeback. I haven’t heard that recently but I have before. I would hate to see it end poorly because of that. SKOL

11. tommyfromambridge says:
    May 4, 2019 at 1:35 pm

=========================

I’m very happy for Ryan and his family. I hope he stays with the Steelers long term.

As to your comment, I agree, sad and pathetic is a good description.

12. Thrilled to see this. Ryan is an inspiration to everyone trying to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds. As to whether or not he plays again, if that is the dream driving his progress, that’s his business. For now, it’s just amazing to see how far he’s come. Shalieve!

13. Bengals Fan here, I am happy for this guy. Never want to see a guy get hurt like that. He hit Gio with a dirty hit and I told people the, he would seriously hurt himself if he kept hitting people like that. I know guys on both these teams (Cinci & Pitt) want to kill each other, but I hope they all learned from his misfortune. I want my guys to knock the crap outta the Steelers as much as their fans enjoy seeing them tee off on the Bengals, but I don’t want to see permanent injuries for either side. I hope his recovery keeps progressing and hope he has enough sense to just lose any hopes of playing again.

14. He’s the ONLY good story going for the Steelers. Their season is over before it starts!
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    That’s funny, I thought the season started Sept 8th for the Steelers 0-0.

15. That’s fantastic news. Happy for him and his family.
    There’s just so much good to this story.
    Congratulations to Ryan and his new bride.

16. His hard work and determination make this a special moment. Also all the hours therapists and doctors have done to help are not to be forgotten.

17. That is awesome well done Ryan. Not sure you should try and play again and it looks like the Steelers are doing right by you. Good for them!

18. Fantastic news and he’s a lucky guy.

Curse anyone that’s giving this guy the false hope that he’ll play again. NO TEAM would ever let him risk his life and assume that incredible liability. Get real.

19. sb13blog says:
    May 4, 2019 at 12:23 pm
    ——————————————————————————-

And this comment is getting downvotes ? Seriously?

——————————————————————————————

I must tell you, having a son in a wheelchair has opened my eyes about a portion of ignorant people in our society today. One quick story — I took my son to the hospital near where we live to get an evaluation. We were on the first floor waiting for one of the three elevators. My son is 6’7″ and his wheelchair is very large, so he takes up a lot of room in an elevator. The elevators were very busy on this day and we waited probably three minutes for one to come to the first floor which was going up where we had to go. Finally, it came and it was loaded with people, all of whom got off but one man. Before I could take the brakes off my son’s chair to move him in, people around us rushed past us and the elevator was too full to get my son on it. I glared at those people until the doors went closed. They either looked away or looked down at their toes.
    I was very upset and so was my son. A security guard to our left witnessed it and came over and told me that it wouldn’t happen again. He stood by us and when another elevator came to the floor, he told everyone to allow us to enter before anyone. They did that, but I could see frustration on the faces of a couple of the people who could not get on because it was too full. These kind of things add to my son’s misery with being paralyzed. And they make me so mad that when I see cars in handicapped parking spaces now with no handicapped sign hanging from their mirror or on their license plates, I have actually blocked their cars with my car and called the police and waited until they get their so I can watch them write them a ticket.
    So, all I can say about the 28 people who gave me a thumbs down is I know what kind of people they are. But thank you for your kind words and support. I sincerely appreciate it and I repeat what I said before — God Bless Shazier and his family and I hope he continues to get better. Anyone who has a person in their lives who had an injury like Shazier had knows how deeply sincere I am about it.

20. 6burgh says:
    May 4, 2019 at 1:13 pm
    He’ll play again. Said it before, will continue to say it.
    ————————————————————-

I wish that was the case, but hes lucky he is able to walk

21. Happy for him, felt sick when I saw the injury. Even if he never plays again he’s beaten some pretty daunting odds to get to this point.

22. To the people giving thumbs downs to this story, you are 100% complete trash and will never amount to anything.

23. jimnaizeeum says:
    May 4, 2019 at 12:26 pm
    Happy for him, and really glad the 20% chance of walking diagnosis was wrong.
    __________
    The 20% was not “wrong”, it was just a number. When we doctors give a percentage like that, we’re not being negative or pessimistic– nobody doesn’t want for Shazier to walk again, it’s just a realistic analysis of this type of injury. That said, it’s amazing that his strength and perseverance enabled him to be one of those twenty. Just keep it up Ryan. The entire NFL is rooting for you buddy.

24. “There’s always gonna be nails on the road to victory”

– Jon Gruden

25. Great story from what seems to be an inspiring and great young man, definitely refreshing respite from the likes of sh!tbirds like Tyreek Hill. Best of luck to Ryan on his road to recovery !

26. “Thank you, sb13blog. I was stunned when I saw 28 people gave me a thumbs down for my comment.
    I must tell you, having a son in a wheelchair has opened my eyes about a portion of ignorant people in our society today. One quick story — I took my son to the hospital near where we live to get an evaluation.”

——————-

I was honestly going to say the same thing until sb13 beat me to it. A couple of downvotes here and there we can chalk up big fingers on a tiny phone screen or an accidental click, but the fact that that many people decided to do that to what you said (and to those of us happy to see Shazier enjoying and living his life the way he used to be able to, to some degree) are despicable. I cannot fathom why anyone would do such a thing.

Beyond our fandoms, beyond football, there are things much more important. Good on the Steelers for recognizing that and supporting Shazier through this when they could have easily cut ties. I know I’m in the majority when I say that seeing this video is amazing, and selfishly it brings me joy to watch Shazier dancing with his wife when it was seriously doubtful that he’d ever be able to. It’s also important for all of us to acknowledge the struggle that millions of others with similar circumstances are forced to go through in their everyday lives, like your son, nyneal. It’s important for us to do what we can when we can-whether it’s something as grandiose as donating a million dollars to a therapy center or as simple as letting someone in an elevator or walking a few extra steps from parking spot. Shoot, I tore my ACL a couple of years ago and got hot when I saw perfectly healthy people take up handicapped spots when I had to lumber along on my crutches from blocks away. I can’t imagine the burden of having as serious a condition as nyneal’s son has and living with it everyday.

Godspeed to Ryan Shaizer, and to anyone who has that struggle to go through. It’s only right that we all respect it and do whatever we can do to help whenever we can.

27. ak185 says:
    May 4, 2019 at 4:07 pm

——————-

————————————————————————————–

Thank you too, ak185. It does my heart good knowing there are still people out there such as you and sb13 and all those who gave me a thumbs up for saying I hope Shazier gets better and I am happy that he is improving. The great majority of people understand suffering and feel compassionate for those who suffer.
    Unfortunately, some people are only happy when they are miserable and causing misery for others.
    I just wish I knew what causes some people to be so miserable. I think what they really need to do is look in the mirror and give what they see a thumbs down.

28. Congratulations to Ryan on his marriage. Please don’t try and play again after what he went through.
    Life is too important, for something horrible to happen again🍾🍾

29. Pat’s fan here just taking a moment to wish Ryan all
    the best in life and congratulations to you and your bride.
    Football isn’t everything, god bless you and god help you
    with whatever your future holds.

30. To see downvotes on any of these comments reminds me of the world we live in.

31. sb13blog, I have a son in a wheelchair too. He’s 22, and has been that way his whole life. You inspire me. as does Ryan. Keep fighting the good fight brother.

32. The 20-30 down votes on this post must be the troll-turds of the world.
    Such a positive, uplifting story. Nothing but good here no matter what team he played for.
    Same people that down-vote when an NFL legend passes. Unbelievable.

I challenge any of the down-vote trolls to post & explain their POV
    I’ll say there will be ZERO response to that challenge.

33. Don’t normally pull for Ohio State guys to succeed, but this is certainly an exception to that rule. Good for you, young man. Hope you continue to progress!

34. Ryan Shazier is an inspiration and a wonderful young man! Congratulations to him and all his doctors and caregivers for what he’s accomplished.

Kudos too to his family, team mates and to the Steelers organization which has shown their loyalty to him by ensuring he’s financially secure for the rest of his life.

To the pathetic pinheads who take pleasure in voting thumbs down on this story and the positive posts below it, you’re the reason this website isn’t better. You’re the losers who have no lives so you hide behind your keyboards trashing other teams, players and fans.

I wish this site wouldn’t use pseudonyms and instead used real names (but not Facebook – it sucks). No one should be able to hide when they dump on stories and people/fans.

35. Ryan Shazier is an inspiration and a wonderful young man! Congratulations to him and all his doctors and caregivers for what he’s accomplished.

36. It would be interesting to hear from those casting down votes for the words of hope and encouragement! …or are they not brave enough to explain. Hate is hate!

37. If that doesn’t bring a tear to your eye then you’re not a human being. That’s awesome to see, I couldn’t be happier for Ryan Shazier. Thank God he was able to walk again and it looks like he will be able to lead a normal life, I’d love to see him back on the field in 2020 but I realize that’s likely a pipe dream. I hope he keeps recovering though, gets stronger and lives a full healthy life. I’m no Steelers fan but how the organization treated him after his injury was awesome, they really took care off and went above and beyond for the guy showing class all the way through.

38. i’m not a steelers fan but from a patriots fan i want to continue to wish ryan shazier good health and that he continues to heal from his serious injury that’s good he’s able to dance and walk again god bless the doctors and the steelers organization that took care of one of their own god bless you ryan

39. Why do people always bring up what team their support. Who cares, this is bigger than football

40. I still hope he walks away from the plan to play again. Thats just too dangerous to all the real life that he and his family can enjoy together.. But hats off to the Steelers for how they have kept him with the team. I think they know there is no football future here but they are doing it anyways so that the player is better taken care of. Thats class.

41. marcrayray says:
    May 4, 2019 at 5:51 pm

——————————————————————————————–

It’s me (NYNeal) who has the son in a wheelchair (since 2005). He had a car accident and crushed his spinal cord. He got back some of the use of his arms and hands, but he’s paralyzed from his diaphragm down.
    I thank you for your kind words and we are definitely on the same team, brother. I wish your son all the miracles which can come his way, and likewise for you and your family. God Bless You all.

42. Best sports story on the internet! Congrats to him…hope to see him on the field again.

43. At the time of his injury I thought Shazier was becoming the top LB in the game. To me, he has proven everything there is to prove on the football field. It would be beyond amazing if he ever gets back on the field, but I’m just happy he can carry on a pretty normal life that includes walking (and dancing). Some things we take for granted.

44. Good for modern medicine and good for him, but anyone who genuinely looks forward to the day when Shazier actually takes the football field again and willingly puts himself in that level of risk needs to rethink that wish as he should himself.

45. The way I see it, the overwhelming majority of people who commented on this story offered heart felt comments in praise of Shazier and gave thumbs up to others who did the same. Thank all of you for doing that.
    The morons who chose to give those comments thumbs down would change their tunes if — God forbid — something like this happened to them or a loved one of theirs.
    Bur right now, those people are like a pig stuck in the mud — wallowing in their own ignorance.

46. So wonderful to see something positive, it’s very rare we do… Keep it up Ryan Baby, We All Pulling For You My Dawg… 1 LUV…

47. You have to be a very sad very pathetic person to put a thumbs down on this joyous story. The six of you should be ashamed

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Agreed. What the hell is wrong with people? I’ll never understand wishing harm on somebody else!

48. Obviously, he’ll never play again, but he’s very lucky. Another inch or two and he may have wound up like Darryl Stingley. 🙁 RIP Darryl.

49. I wish him all the best, and I hope he is able to have a somewhat normal life.

But to think he’ll ever set foot on the field again in a competitive environment is crazy. He’s done.

50. just over a year ago, I said Shazier would be running. I got 99% thumbs down for that comment. I believed in him. Many of the usual people on here apparently did not. I stand by my comment. He will be RUNNING before the end of the summer.