John Dorsey: Browns fans are more passionate than Packers fans

Getty Images

Browns General Manager John Dorsey was drafted by the Packers and spent his entire five-year NFL playing career in Green Bay. He then worked in Green Bay for more than 20 years in his post-playing career. So he knows about the loyal Packers fan base.

But Dorsey says that from his year and a half in Cleveland, he knows the Browns have an even better fan base.

“The fan base for the Cleveland Browns is more passionate than Green Bay Packers fans,” Dorsey told WKYC.

Dorsey said he views the Browns and Packers as similar franchises historically.

“That means a lot, but there are a lot of similarities between the Green Bay Packers and Cleveland Browns because of those iconic years early on. That’s why I’m so ecstatic to be here because this is the Cleveland Browns. You can go back to Paul Brown. If it wasn’t for Paul Brown, I probably wouldn’t have a job because he basically evolved scouting,” Dorsey said.

Now it’s Dorsey’s job to give the passionate fans a reason to cheer.

122 responses to “John Dorsey: Browns fans are more passionate than Packers fans

1. Foot in mouth disease is running rampant with the Browns. If you want to talk up the Browns’ fans fine but there is no need to knock anyone else. Just about every team in the NFL is going to be extra motivated to knock these guys down to earth.

2. As a fan of a long time losing team that recently turned into a winning one, I was probably more “passionate” when they were losing. Now reasonably confident that they’ll have a good season in 2019, I no longer feel the need to plead for a winner, to wax nostalgic about the “good ol days”, to hyper analyze every draft pick or free agency move they make.

3. Its not a knock on Green Bay as some have commented. Its not trash talking due to some success. They Cleveland people are a rabid, ride or die loyay as they come fan base. They have endured alot over the years. 1st watching as Art Modell ripped their hearts out and uprooted a very very great…superbowl contending great..no superbowl favorite great football team and took them to baltimore. Where just a few short season later they did win a SUPERBOWL as we all know. Id venture to say had modell not moved them they would have a SB even b4 that 2000 ravens team. Anyway back to the loyalty of the dawg pound as theyre called. Modell breaks their hearts and moves them after 93 season(i think. Maybe 94) And the fans kicked screamed and fought to get a team back. And they succeeded and 99 was the return of them. And we know the rest. Alot of losing and disappointments. 1 playoof game i think. Which it ended in total heartbreak. The 2002-03 (pretty sure) Bruce Arian coached Browns made it to the Wildcard playoff round versus hated rival Pittsburgh(my hometown team!) A game they were leading. A shootout. And eventual heartbreak as the tommy maddox led steelers out gunned the kelly holcomb browns. Since its been losi g season after losing season. Top 5 draft picks and mistakes after top 5 draft pick/mistake. And the rabid Browns faithful continue to show up in numbers and root their perennial losers one. And now finally they have some hope. Hope for seasons to come. Amazing young talent from recent drafts. So YES as a steelers lifelong fan (we here are pretty faithful and diehard just happen to also be spoiled) i would put the browns fans in the top 3 atleast. Ive always said that if something happened and we lost the steelers ,it never happen, but if something happened id be a browns fan. Loyal ass die hard fans. Just lioe Pittsburgh. Cant wait for this rivaly to be renewed thru toigh competitive matchups and division races

4. I do not fault John Dorsey for trying to endear himself more to the fan base of the team he is now working for. There also is a bit of salesmanship involved. What did you think he was going to say? If he had said Packers fans were more passionate the Browns fan base would revolt.

Dorsey and Eliot Wolf, who are running the Browns now, spent many years in Green Bay. Cleveland is overjoyed to have them. You have seen the difference they have made for the Browns since they have been there.

I think the Browns are a great fan base. However, saying they are more passionate than Packers Nation is merely a GM doing marketing for his current employer.

#OneTeamOneNation

#PackersNation

#GoPackGo!🏈🧀☝️

5. I think it would be more accurate to say their fans are more impassioned. There’s a slight difference. It comes from one having a winning history and one wishing, hoping, and praying they had a winning history. I think Viking fans are impassioned too.

6. How can the Browns be this annoying without having done anything at all? Call me when they are above 500 at the end of the year. Boring.

7. John….that’s because Cleveland has never won anything in the last 50 years.

When you’re known as Title Town USA, you kinda get spoiled………..

and B O O M, goes the Dynamite!

8. Don’t mistake lack of choice for passion – there’s absolutely nothing else to do in Green Bay.

9. This is a true statement. Browns have been the joke of the league for years now. Fans stay loyal, go to games and still hope that someday the old Brownies will rise back to dominance. They are pretty darn close. Not a Brown’s fan, but I am rooting for you guys!

10. Passionate fans cover south Lake Erie, Browns & Bills, must be in the water!! Lol

Packer fans have been blessed with Favre & Rodgers and a few championships so they may seem more fickle but are great fans through & through!! I remember the tough times previous to Favre and them finally breaking through by beating the Cowboys in the playoffs on their way to a SB win. Should have won more, especially the one against Denver but still a great run of competitive seasons.

11. Let’s put it this way: Browns Backers is the largest fan club in the history of sports, with over 300 chapters in more than 80 countries around the world.

12. The Cleveland Browns have a very rich history in the NFL, and obviously, a very passionate fan base, as a Packer fan, I have no problem being compared favorably to them.
    Steeler fans are great, too.
    I’ve traveled through a majority of the States, as well as several countries around the world, and it always still amazes me that I can find Packer bars, pubs, and taverns, as well as fans, almost everywhere I go.

13. Lets be honest. To be a true Browns fan, it means that you have suffered through all of the losing seasons and the pure misery of just being associated with the browns. So I really cant disagree with this article because there really hasn’t been a team worse than the Browns overall in the last decade.

Even with all of the losing and the horrible drafts the fans they have stuck from those losing and I must add horrific seasons but no matter what, Brown’s fans have always made it clear they are Brown’s fans without hiding.

Now that the Browns are starting to gain momentum with a couple of good drafts and some trades, the fan base should be pumped. These fans deserve some credit for being fans now at this moment after enduring all of those years of turmoil.

Loyalty is all that matters.

14. There is a fine line between passion and desperation. I’m a fan of both teams (the Browns are my AFC team), and I would guess that the Browns home fan base are exactly where we Packer fans were in the early 90s.

Specifically, decades separated from success, and finally seeing some light at the end of a tunnel of dark futility.

15. That’s strange, because I never hear browns chants at away games, yet you hear go Pack go at every away game they play.

16. The Packers are on the bottom end of the top 10 in revenue (Cowboys #1). The Browns aren’t in the top 20. I guess passion doesn’t equate to spending money.

17. This is a FACT. Browns fans are more loyal and passionate, even though the Packers have a bigger fan base. I’m a Saints fan, and I’ve known this for at least 20 years. It doesn’t take a genius to see it, either. I’m a outsider to both teams, and I think it’s pretty obvious.

18. kwjsb says:

May 10, 2019 at 7:28 am
    Browns Backers Worldwide is the largest NFL fan club on the planet

30 21 Rate This

——————————————–

Love your enthusiasm but your wrong. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. That paid for membership is crap as well

19. Sounds exactly like what you’d expect from someone who was passed over for the GM job in Green Bay. I’m glad John was able to get a job elsewhere afterwards, but the passive aggressive stab at the GB fanbase reveals a lack of professionalism. Just no reason to do it.

20. “Browns Backers Worldwide”

============

Did you get your membership card and Doggie Button in the mail yet?

Stick with ‘The Dawg Pound’👌

You are starting to embarrass actual Browns fans now.

21. I live in Wisconsin. The minute Aaron Rodgers got injured in 2017, EVERYONE lost all interest in the Packers. No one watched games and tickets were dirt cheap. It’s been a 25+ year bandwagon run that’s about to come to an end once Rodgers is gone.

22. Shinnbone says:
    May 10, 2019 at 7:24 am
    John….that’s because Cleveland has never won anything in the last 50 years.

When you’re known as Title Town USA, you kinda get spoiled………..

and B O O M, goes the Dynamite!

WRONG !!! Cleveland won the NBA Championship a couple years ago. BOOM !

23. While he has the right to speak his opinion, and spending so much time in the Green Bay organization, he certainly has some ground to stand on…I’m just not sure why the need to say this. What was the context? Was he specifically asked which fanbase was more passionate? This is something for the fans to argue about, not the GM of the Cleveland Browns.

24. I dont doubt Dorsey is telling the truth. Any fan-base than can endure not only losing but getting flat-out embarrassed year after year for 20 straight years and continue to not only support the team but financially support that team is most definitely a passionate fan base. Kind of stupid as well but definitely passionate.

25. I get his sentiment, and they’re hope is ridiculously high because they’ve suffered so much losing for so, so long. Good to be stoked, I’m happy for the Browns. BUT…
    Let the Pack suffer through such a terrible low streak, get a QB and hope for the first time in decades, and he would see – there is no more loyal, excited, or enthusiastic fan base than the Packers. Difference?
    There is no rich owner. The FANS are the owners!

26. I’ve never seen a team suffer a champagne hangover after 7-8-1 season. Is there no one in this organization with the authority to tell everyone to shut the h*** up? Good Lord, they BETTER win the Super Bowl this year. I think if I were a Browns fan, I would secretly hope that someone hangs a huge L on them early in the season to maybe bring them down to earth a little.

27. I know Browns fans that have been doing yard work and separating themselves from football the past 10 years, meanwhile I sit on my couch losing after losing seasons to watch my Bills follow up the last losing season with another losing season.

OBJ is a Brown now its all talk. They need to be in the AFC Championship with all this talk or things are going to look really bad.

28. greenwhodat26 says:
    May 10, 2019 at 8:27 am
    ==================

I think you’re right. Given all the losing the Browns have suffered over the last 20yrs they most definitely have not grown that fan base over the last 20yrs so the fans that are there are a smaller life long contingent of hard-core Browns fans. Outside of the last 6-8 months the Browns fan base probably hasn’t grown much at all over the last 20yrs.

29. dspyank2k11 says:
    May 10, 2019 at 8:57 am

===========================================================
    And I know a lot of former Bills fans that became Steelers fans in the mid-late 90’s when the Bills started sucking and the Steelers became the dominant AFC team. You can find those types of “fans” in any organization. Real fans have been there through thick and thin.

30. A little adversity and this team is going to crack –
    Remember the so called eagles dream team that was all hype and nothing else – this is going to turn out the same way –

31. Just salesmanship, nothing to see here.
    That’s interesting comment however as they couldn’t give seats away to games even last year…..

32. Top 5 NFL Fanbases:

I can give a rather educated opinion having been to every stadium in the NFL and having been a passionate fan and close follower of all levels of football for my entire lifetime.

1) Green Bay

2) Dallas

3) Pittsburgh

4) Kansas City

5) Philadelphia

Honorable mention:

Cleveland

Buffalo

Oakland

Denver

33. chickensalad43 says:
    May 10, 2019 at 8:47 am
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-And yet, the waiting list for season tickets was 30+ years at the Packers’ lowest point.

-And yet, guys like you made statements like yours about what would happen when Favre retired.

Would you like to try again?

34. Maybe they are more passionate at this point. Good for them if they are. They deserve all the good times they’re having.

Having lived through the glory years of Lombardi, the dark times afterwards, and all the success that began when Ron Wolf came to town and hired Mike Holmgren, I can say without doubt, the MOST fun I’ve ever had as a Packer fan was when the Wolf/Holmgren rebuild tree began to bear fruit. There were ups AND downs but the ups way outweighed the downs… and they were very much worth it.

35. I don’t remember a single packer game that got blacked out, but I do recall a bunch of Browns ones… Just saying.

36. chickensalad43 says:
    May 10, 2019 at 8:47 am

I too live in Wisconsin. I to remember this time. Yes tickets went down in price (this is common with any team when that kind of thing happens). And you claim EVERYONE lost all interest. Funny, Lambeau was sold out, were they there for a picnic? I watched every game, and I know many others that also watched every game. Were we as in tuned with them as if it were any other season probably not, but we still watched. What you described, was the bandwagon fan. Those people (yourself included it would appear) lost interest because “oh they aren’t winning”. The rest of the diehards, yeah we don’t give a hoot. Win or lose, we are there.

Try a little harder next time.

37. There are some really sensitive people on here. I don’t feel Dorsey was saying anything bad about GB, everyone knows they have a great fan base. It was a comparison, plain and simple. And the claim of “greatest fans” is a matter of opinion anyways. Just like that hole in the wall restaurant that claims to have the world’s best burger. Some people will agree, some won’t, but you can’t exactly argue it as it is an opinion. So get over it.

38. It’ll be its biggest challenge but the Cleveland Curse is sitting in its lair planning and will not be mocked.

39. In the early years of our turnaround (early 90’s) Packer fans were extremely rabid. We still are but now expectations are higher and we don’t always show it in September or October. The later games usually have more electricity in the stadium. Unfortunately the last two years haven’t had much drama in December. As we turn things around this will quickly come back. The Browns are now where we were in 93 and 94. The true barometer is the huge number of Packer fans at every home game. They still support their team better then most.

40. Well, you notice he didn’t get asked about the Chiefs or mention them. Dorsey is not stupid, he knew exactly what he was doing and that mentioning Green Bay would get the most attention. Hope the Green Bay mention sold a few tickets for him.

The last time the Packers played in Cleveland it was a 65% Packers crowd and 35% Browns crowd. Aaron wasn’t playing. I guess the Vikings fan that claimed EVERYONE in Wisconsin didn’t follow the Packers that season was lying. Shocker.

GoPackGo!🧀

41. Of course the Cleveland fans are now rabid,after so very many years of supporting a perennial losing team they now suddenly have legitimate hope again,thanks largely to the ex Packers management team headed by Dorsey.I dont believe the Browns fans are more rabid than Packers fans but now they get noticed because they no longer have to sit on their hands in embarrassment but can cheer for a good team at last.

42. Get to a super bowl first then maybe you can be mentioned in the same breath as Green Bay Packers….

43. Hey Dorsey. Coming from me this says a lot. That’s stupid! The Browns have not won anything in 99 years! So they sign Mr. big mouth, brother of Mr. big chest,won a few games. You have the bar set so high for this team that when they don’t make the playoffs the lake will be on fire again. The bull’s-eye on the Browns back is getting bigger. STUPID!!

44. The NFL was invented in Northeast Ohio. Professional football was big in Northeast Ohio before the rest of the country even knew what it was so yes if you know your football history you would know this is correct. It’s not a knock against Green Bay it’s the difference between a city that has football that they love (Green Bay) and A city literally built around that sport to the point that they produce the most football coaches and are top five in players in that state getting inducted into to the hall of fame.

Green Bay fans getting offended by this is like American fans getting offended by someone saying fans in Canada are more into Hockey than fans in the US. The whole reason this interview happened in the first place was because the Browns all time all star team showed up to Rookie mini camp and gave both the new players as well as the new staff “the talk” on how to be a Cleveland Brown and what expectations the fans will expect of you.

When Brett Favre, Sterling Sharp and the Lombardi family are waiting outside of Packers camp having to give you a run down of how to stay on Packers fans good side because they probably know more about football than the players do then you can compare.

45. chickensalad43 says:
    May 10, 2019 at 8:47 am
    —————-

Wow. I mean, just wow. There is absolutely no truth to this post at all. Games still sold out. Sports bars still filled up. House parties in man caves were still happening all over the place. Team apparel was being worn and purchased seven days a week. I could go on.

46. Watched Dorsey play linebacker for the Packers, from ’84-’90, I believe it was, and nothing he did as a player, requires me to take his opinion seriously. They’re both amazing fan bases, and I’d put Buffalo right up there with them, in terms of the smaller markets.

47. chickensalad43 says:
    May 10, 2019 at 8:47 am
    ________

This is such a dopey post and it is so untrue.
    I know, because I live here, too, and I actually go to the games.

There was definitely disappointment when Rodgers went down, especially with the possibility of him being lost for the season.
    Playoff hopes were dimmed, but the game day atmosphere was as electric and exciting as always.

Talk about the team, good and bad, never diminished, and at times were even more opinionated because of our situation.
    And I still sold a pair of my tickets in mid-December for face value.
    So, you are basically wrong on almost your entire post.

Whoever has the most passionate or loyal fans will always be a matter of opinion, and in the end doesn’t really mean very much.
    There are a lot of great NFL fans throughout the nation.

But when you factor in the loyalty Packer fans have shown their team throughout the years of highs and even in the most dire of times, referring to the people of Wisconsin as bandwagon fans is really just stupid.

48. The Browns have a little success (not much really) and it goes to their head. I can’t wait till they go 4-12 with a moron coach with all that talent. It is better than going 1-31 with a moron coach so I guess that is progress.

49. A good measure of fan base is determined by “How many fans show up in other stadiums to root a team on.” Watch Cowboy games, Patriot games, or Steeler games. We see it on TV every week that Green Bay plays; a large showing for Green Bay in a road city. I watch Brown games. Television crews have trouble finding Brown fans when the Browns are the visitor. But, let Mr. Dorsey have his opinion.

50. -And yet, EVERY game at Lambeau has been sold out since 1959, even during the darkest times.
    _____
    Wrong. In 1983 the Packer’s failed to sellout a Lambeau field playoff game against the Cardinals. The game was also blacked out. They were 3000 short if a sellout.

51. So, this is what unsuccessful teams boast about in the off-season, how passionate their fan base is related to another team? The Browns are absolutely setting themselves up for an epic cratering this year with all this off-season talk if they don’t perform well and there are going to be massive lines of folks on here lining up to rip them.

I have no idea why a team or it’s players would talk this much – there’s literally no upside to talking, only thing that matters is how you perform on the field, so I’ll see you in Sept.

52. I was 12 yrs old and in Madison Wisconsin during the strike shortened 1982 season. I can report the playoff game was not blacked out in Madison.

Season ticket holders are sent out order forms for playoff tickets towards the end of the regular season in seasons that the Packers are likely to go to the playoffs. This did not happen in 1982 because of the strike shortened season. Season ticket holders get first dibs on buying playoff tickets and they can’t be sold to others until STH’s decline to buy. The ticket glitch issue was eventually rectified and all the tickets were sold, but I believe not in time to satisfy the league blackout rules of 1982.

I can not confirm the game was blacked out in Green Bay, but it may have been. It was not blacked out in Madison or Milwaukee. This I can confirm.

#GoPackGo!🏈

53. I’m really looking forward to another sold out season, same as every year since 1959. Good stuff.

54. Packers / Cardinals 1983 playoff at Lambeau
    The attendance for the game was 54,282. Well short of a sellout

“The Thursday before the game — the team’s first home playoff game in 15 years, 18,000 tickets were still up for grabs. There were reasons, including the sluggish economy — and the Packers not communicating well enough to buy them by a certain date. Also — the Packers couldn’t email or Tweet their fans to push ticket sales, and there were obviously no internet sales.

The game ended up being blacked out”

LOLOL, its easy to have a streak when you just ignore the non sellouts.

55. cheeseisfattening says:
    May 10, 2019 at 12:38 pm
    _____
    ________

Meanwhile, I can basically walk up the ticket office of Minnesota’s shiny new McStadium and score a couple of tickets to any game I want to attend this season.

And I’ve also heard that the tour of the trophy room is a breeze to get through, as long as you don’t trip over any of the brooms and dustpans.

56. Even though I’m a lifelong Steeler fans, watching the NFL for many years now I’d have to say the chiefs have the most impassioned fan base. That stadium is always packed and I think it’s the largest stadium in the country. They’ve been sold out for many years even when they haven’t been a very good team and now that they have some great players that place is really rocking.

57. Five years as a NFL player makes him an expert on fan bases? A shame he is not an expert on integrity and character. If he was, maybe he would draft a better quality of players.

58. “I think it’s the largest stadium in the country”

=============

I agree that Chiefs fans are great and that is why I had them in my Top 5 NFL Fan bases. They come in 4th behind Green Bay, Dallas and Pitt.

Arrowhead has a 76,500 capacity and is not near the largest stadium in the country. It is not even in the top 5 largest in the NFL. Several college football stadiums are also much larger.

Lambeau Field has a capacity of 81,500.

One of the smallest stadiums in the NFL is U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis that only holds 66,000. U.S. Bank is also the only stadium that is covered in bird poop and bird guts because the birds fly into the stadiums glass panels at a very high rate. The Vikings were told to build the stadium in a more bird friendly way, but the Vikings refused and now there are daily protests at the stadium supported by the Audubon Society. Poor Barneys.

59. Silverstein: Critics of Mark Murphy’s new Packers management structure say it could lead to dysfunction

Its funny to see the Packers copying the triangle of authority. LOLOL

60. freefromwhatyouare says:
    May 10, 2019 at 6:51 pm
    “I think it’s the largest stadium in the country”

=============

Lambeau Field has a capacity of 81,500.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

This article has nothing to do with the Vikings yet packer fans are so jealous of them, they can’t get them out of their heads. And instead of “poor Barney’s” it should be poor birds. The birds know that it’s duck/pheasant season and they are just ending the inevitable.

61. Browns season tickets waiting list = 4000 1-2 years
    Packers season tickets waiting list = 133,000 30 years
    Passionate fans = looks like the Browns are coming up a little short

62. Packer fans are not passionate. They don’t sell out home playoff games, need corporate help to sell them out or only sellout the day before the game. Their season ticket holders sell off their tickets to make money. That why there is a there is a wait list for season tickets. It’s a way to make money in that town, not passion.

63. They have been lucky having 2 great qb’s in a row. A big part of the waiting list is people wanting season tickets to resell & make a profit. Once Rodgers retires & the green & yellow don’t have an equally talented qb to replace him, they will probably have loosing records & the demand for tickets will go down significantly.

64. Best comment/question so far was how many times have brown’s fans caused the home team to go to a silent count on offense.

I’ve been to Packers’ games in Frisco,(multiple times, haven’t been to San Jose yet) Phoenix, Minnesota and the only stadium that responded to us cheeseheads drowning us out were the Vikings’ fans…..but there was still a high % of GB fans.

Nearly every broadcast has the announcers commenting on how well Packers’ fans travel.

I don’t follow the Steelers, but I’ve heard their fanbase travels as well as the Pack’s.

Dorsey knows who’s signing his check…but deep down he also knows he’s embellishing.

Curious to know the waiting list for browns’ season tickets…..try getting on the Packer’s list.

65. Notably not in this conversation (or in the video in the top of this article) are the Steelers and their out-by-end-of-3rd-quarter-if-we-are-down-by-ten fan base.

66. I’m a Packers fan. I love my team. I live in Minnesota and have observed the locals for years now. Vikings fans love their team. I once lived in Chicago. Bears fans love their team. Aside from perhaps the Chargers, NFL teams have widespread support in their communities and regions. That’s why it’s fun.

67. John has been with both packers & Browns teams he seems to be a good one to judge this but it is his opinion nothing more.