Gerald McCoy: I’ll play this year, don’t know where

Getty Images

Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy says he isn’t sure how much longer he’ll be with the Bucs, but he is sure he’s playing this year.

“I will be playing football somewhere,” McCoy told Mike Cairns.

The Buccaneers haven’t committed to keeping McCoy this year, and there’s been talk that they might trade him, release him or pressure him to take less than the $13 million base salary his contract calls for this season. McCoy said he doesn’t know if he’ll be in Tampa Bay when the season starts.

“I don’t know. We’ll see,” McCoy said. “Fans know I love them. I’ll be on the field at some point.”

McCoy has been skipping voluntary workouts, but if he wants to force the team’s hand, the smart play might be to show up and work out. If McCoy were to get injured during a voluntary workout at the team facility, the Bucs would be on the hook for his salary, so if McCoy were to join team activities, it might give the Bucs a sense of urgency to decide either to get rid of him or commit to him for this season.

Adding to the uncertainty around McCoy is the recent neck injury that defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul suffered in a car accident. The Bucs may be less eager to move on from a veteran defensive tackle if their top veteran defensive end is going to miss significant time. The Bucs also could change their calculation about whether they can afford McCoy’s salary if they plan to put Pierre-Paul on the non-football injury list, and not pay him until he’s healthy enough to play.

McCoy doesn’t seem particularly worried about all that. He’s just sure he will play, somewhere, when the season starts.

31 responses to “Gerald McCoy: I’ll play this year, don’t know where

1. Seahawks will sign this guy and win the superbowl!!!!!

Superbowl prediction

Seahawks vs Ravens

Final score. Seahawks 53 Ravens 3

Earl Thomas will re injure his knees

2. I’m fine with cutting players you don’t want, but it’s a jerk move to wait so long and limit their options.

3. Look for the team that needs a solid injection of soft Gerald and go. I won’t miss you apologizing to opposing QBs for hitting them at all.

4. shame on the player for not having it his contract that its yes or no in March . seems like every year the older players get caught in the switches. where is the Agent in all this ?

5. Indy could eat that salary, but I can’t imagine much more interest. He would probably have to be released.

6. Line depth on both sides of the ball is always needed but nobody is paying $13m for depth.

7. If he’s released (when he’s released) he won’t even have to leave the state of Florida, Miami or Jax will scoop him up quickly…..Gerald McCoy next to Calais Campbell not a bad tackle combo…..

8. uwachampion says:
    May 11, 2019 at 9:15 am

“Fans know I love them”….too bad most of the fans in Tampa have already turned on him

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Bullcrap. I don’t know any real Bucs fan that has turned on Gerald.

9. uwachampion says:
    May 11, 2019 at 9:15 am

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Bullcrap. I don’t know any real Bucs fan that has turned on Gerald. Not true. I listen to a lot of Tampa area sports radio. Very, very few have called in supporting Gerald.

10. Everything is in his favor… being on 1 of the worst teams, his chance of playing for a better team is greater than others…

11. He should be smart and show up for camp….gets injured..gets his 13 million. If he gets cut the next team MAY only pay him 8-10 million for a one year deal…Aldo..Shu is still sitting out there and he’ll work for just 1-3 million on a one year deal. Stop talking Gereld to the media and get yourself into camp.

12. Bullcrap. I don’t know any real Bucs fan that has turned on Gerald.
    —————————————————————
    Been a Bucs fan since 1979 and McCoy lost me about 3 years ago. Many fans that sit around me in the stadium feel the same way. I won’t keep rehashing as to why however I wish him the best at his next stop.

13. jefflocc says:
    May 11, 2019 at 8:27 am

Seahawks will sign this guy and win the superbowl!!!!!

Superbowl prediction

Seahawks vs Ravens

Final score. Seahawks 53 Ravens 3

Earl Thomas will re injure his knees

————————————–

I’m a Seahawk fan but I find this comment really embarrassing. I wonder if this person is a real Seahawk fan or just trying to make Seahawk fans look stupid?

14. I don’t think any guy shows up hoping to get hurt so he can make his money, regardless of status. Suggesting this is just ill-mannered and foolish. It’s bad enough that you guys can’t be bothered to correct your grammar; advocating for this foolishness is a new low.

15. alongthegulf says:
    May 11, 2019 at 11:55 am
    Bullcrap. I don’t know any real Bucs fan that has turned on Gerald.
    ……………………………………

Then you don’t know any “real Bucs fan”. Listen to Tampa sports radio once in awhile.

16. tfootball1234 says:
    May 11, 2019 at 11:00 am
    Bills still have alot of cash. McDerrmott loves collecting old players and paying them to much.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Try reading the sports page instead of the comics.

17. jefflocc says:
    May 11, 2019 at 8:27 am

Seahawks will sign this guy and win the superbowl!!!!!

Superbowl prediction

Seahawks vs Ravens

Final score. Seahawks 53 Ravens 3

Earl Thomas will re injure his knees
    ————-
    Scrubs wouldn’t even hang 10 on the Ravens. Plus your defense is bottom 10.

18. I have always tried to stay neutral and not be a homer but there is plenty of blame to go around on this McCoy fiasco by the front office as well as McCoy. The Bucs are not any different than the other 31 teams in the NFl when it comes to the business side of football. On the other side I am so tired of hearing players whine and complain about playing a game for millions of dollars and then making stupid statements like “I have got to feed my Family” give me a fricking break.Try walking aound in the shoes of a guy trying to feed his Family and surive on poverty level salaries. I guess they forgot their roots and things like respect, humility, loyalty. Most NFL players should think about team and yes make some sacrifices when needed. There are ways to make a redistribution of a players salary without them losing any money. Yes I know NFL teams can be real asses but that doesn’t mean a player has to be the same way. I know it is business but ignoring a problem does not make it go away.The solution is to talk it out and compromise. Please, Glazers and Mr. McCoy think about it.