NFL suspends Patrick Peterson six games

Getty Images

At a time when uncertainty still lingered regarding whether cornerback Patrick Peterson will play for the Cardinals in 2019, we now have an answer: He won’t. At least not for the first six games of the season.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the NFL has suspended Peterson six games under the PED policy. Schefter initially tweeted that the suspension will last eight games before revising it to six games and pointing out that Peterson has dropped his appeal.

The PED policy does not expressly provide for an eight-game suspension. A six-game suspension is imposed when a positive test result is accompanied by other misconduct. Also, a player can be suspended up to six games when a PED violation is proven via documented evidence unrelated to a positive test.

Peterson will be eligible for offseason and preseason practices and games, and his regular-season suspension will end after the team’s sixth game. He’ll be eligible to return to play on October 20, against the Giants.

If, of course, he continues to play for the Cardinals. He could still be traded, and his return comes two Sundays before the 2019 trade deadline arrives.

66 responses to “NFL suspends Patrick Peterson six games

1. Can’t wait for the “tainted supplement” defense and the lawsuit that won’t ever happen

2. Peterson was a deflategate truther and now we find out he was actually cheating. I guess Peterson’s great respect for the game didn’t apply to his actions.

3. Ouch. Poor AZ fans. First they get to be happy for maybe all of a week that they might have a very good and dynamic QB, now slapped in the face with this.

4. I wonder if this was known around the league and that’s why there was not a ton of actual trade talk around him, besides talking-head-speculation.

5. 6 games is also for when a failed sample was deliberately diluted or used a masking agent.

6. terripet says:
    May 16, 2019 at 1:34 pm
    Must be hanging around with Edelman

3 1 Rate This

—————————

Gomer Manning says hello

7. Never understood the hype with this guy. Always fails in big games. Super freaky athleticism (aided by PEDs apparently) but not great between the ears. Seen him give up multiple big games vs #1 wrs but lockdown lesser guys. Doesn’t like to tackle.

8. jackedupboonie says:
    May 16, 2019 at 1:18 pm
    I think Deon Sanders was more willing to make a tackle than this guy

As a Cowboys fan I loved Sanders but NO one hated tackling more than him lol.

9. WOW! Things must REALLY be bad in Arizona…STILL! This seems like a desperation move by Peterson to get the Cards to trade him as he has NEVER had even the slightest smudge on his record and dropping his appeal (which he could have won) puts the Cards squarely behind the eight ball. A first time offense carries a four game suspension and the extra “unknown circumstances” seem more like personal punitive punishment by an Owner with juice, who’s had his authority challenged by a high profile member of “the help”. Patrick P is a smart guy, his wife is a physician, and I have no doubt this isn’t just a move to get out of Arizona.
    There ARE actual legitimate medical uses for steroids, HGH, and other “substances” the NFL doesn’t seen to understand, but are quite common. Perhaps he had a respiratory infection that made attending voluntary OTAs ill-advised and still had traces of Prednisone in his system? This seems much more likely but is far less of a headline grabber.
    Trade the guy, stop all the drama, and MOVE ON!

10. And now, his legacy takes a big hit.
    No wonder no team made a move to trade for him.
    Not a good look for the Redmen of the desert.

11. terripet says:
    May 16, 2019 at 1:34 pm
    Must be hanging around with Edelman
    —————————————-

No, actually, Peterson and Robert Mathis are next door neighbors, D’Qwell Jackson lives across the street, and Peyton Manning has a vacation home a block away.

12. Time to aggressively search for the next face of the franchise as Larry’s heir apparent apparently forgot the character component.

13. Let me start by saying that in a perfect world, no one would cheat.

But the reality is that entire sports ecosystems like cycling and the Olympics are often dictated by trying to weed out the PED users (and there is the black market industry that tries to help the cheating get by the testing).

Football players are generally freakish athletes who play an incredibly dangerous, violent sport where they are expected by their teams, fans, the media and players’ own unspoken “tough guy” code to play hurt, minimize or hide the extent of their injuries, and to return to play ASAP, if they are unable to.

Is anyone really surprised that players use PEDs? Does anyone think that teams and the league don’t turn a blind eye to a lot of this stuff that goes on (I’m looking at you, Peyton Manning)? Players need to be bigger, stronger, faster – always.

So there’s pressure to perform, stay healthy, stay on the field – not to mention the fact that X number of veteran players lose their jobs every year to new blood coming in from college. It’s not an easy profession, and the pressures are enormous and constant. Beyond the possible benefits to size, strength and speed, PEDs can help them recover from injury faster.

Like I said, I’m not condoning it, but I understand it.

14. My all-time favorite excuse was Brian Cushing’s “overtrained athlete syndrome”

15. terripet says:
    May 16, 2019 at 1:34 pm
    Must be hanging around with Edelman

————

More likely hanging around with “Ashley” Manning and her “physician” from the Guyer Institute

16. Pro tip. Assume they are all on something, and you won’t be as disappointed when your guys get popped. It’s the NFL, come on people.

17. Everyone would be better off if they told us what he ingested. Not knowing makes the player look worse.

18. Looks like an exciting competition between Cards and Dolphins for top draft pick next year.

19. The NFL substance policy is antiquated. It was probably some diuretic from some supplement that wa as put on the list in 1995.

20. ab420420 says:
    May 16, 2019 at 2:20 pm
    “If you ain’t cheatin’ you ain’t tryin’” – Patriots Fan

5 8 Rate This

——————

Pats have never done anything different than any other team, but your jealousy is a delight.

21. johnwaldron8 says:
    May 16, 2019 at 1:10 pm

—————

Inevitably it is always proven that people that live in glass houses should not throw stones.

22. AFW AFW says:
    May 16, 2019 at 2:03 pm
    Let me start by saying that in a perfect world, no one would cheat.

Like I said, I’m not condoning it, but I understand it.

———————-

You forgot the biggest driver. $$$$$$. There are players in the NFL that are making a couple million a year that would be getting used to their day job by now if it wasn’t for PEDs. It’s barely a decision, even with the potential health risks and possible shame and punishment from being caught. It’s having your family set for life financially vs not. It’s a no brainier I am sure.

23. Remember the tweet he said when Brady was involved in Deflate Gate.He said how can he disrespect the Game well buddy have you ever heard of Karma.

24. The position they are in, if they are serious about these next couple seasons and I’m sure they are is to trade their #1 draft pick to the Vikings for either Rhodes or Waynes. The Cards already need another CB and would’ve drafted one anyway. No way that pick would be better than either player. The Vikings need cap space or they wouldn’t ever consider unloading either guy. I wouldn’t be shocked if that happened soon.

25. “Peterson was a deflategate truther”

===========================

26. Okay, it’s Let’s Make An Excuse Time! …. behind one of these doors are three things Petersen can say. Which do you think he’ll choose??????
    Door #1 says, “I did it and I take full responsibility for my actions and I deserve to be suspended because I cheated”.
    Door #2 says: “I had no idea the stuff I was taking had this illegal stuff in it”.
    Door #3 says: ” I have no idea how this stuff got in my body because I do not take PED’s now and I have never taken them at any other time in my career”.

We’ve heard it all before, folks. His lawyer will tell him what to say and how to apologize to the owner, his coaches, teammates, and the fans. But we all know the only thing he is sorry about is that he got caught.

27. Who cares. This guy benefits from gutless play calling that avoids his side of the field. Actually watch an entire Cardinals game like us AZ fans and you’ll see Peterson getting burned in the 4Q. Loved him when he first came on the scene, but he became a typical diva CB and AZ missed their window to get value for him in a trade.

28. Just makes my day when guys like him are popped! He was on such a high horse when he was calling out Tom Brady for his disrespecting the game banter. Look at you now PEDerson! Hope your lack of tackling can improve without your juice.

29. billsbackto81 says:
    May 16, 2019 at 2:44 pm
    Sid Farkus says:
    May 16, 2019 at 1:12 pm
    Patrick Cheaterson
    ———–

Patrick PEDerson.
    _____

And.

MVPEDleman

30. He’ll spend those 6 weeks “mentoring” Kyler Murray how to “grow” as a Football player.

31. What a surprise, a Patriots fan has found a way to make an article about Deflategate…

5 8 Rate This

——————–

Umm, did you ever think if Goodell didn’t try to cheat the Pats, caught in embarrassing framejobs, Pats fans wouldn’t have to easily remember these things and bring them up?

Hint: Stop framing the Pats to steal picks for parity and to try to distract and embarrass them.

It’s pathetic and cheating.

32. “Details of what Peterson did, and when he did it, remain confidential, as per the NFL’s PED policy,” Schefter writes, ignoring the obvious reality that any information about a player’s status under the PED policy violates confidentiality, including his report regarding the fact that Peterson will be suspended six games.

***********************************************************************************

Why did Florio take a swipe at Schefter? He is doing the same thing.

33. Well well.

“I ate a….” covers receiver with hand and speaks to legal counsel “Wait, what was it I ate again? Cool. Ok.”

“I ate an Equatorian Mountain llama. I think it may have been contaminated.”

(Long pause).

“Hello? Hello?”

Clunk.

34. I can’t imagine having a job that calls Adam Schefter and tells him stuff. I’m betting he cuts a check to every secretary in the league for info.