Dak Prescott becoming “more stern” as a leader

Getty Images

In the 2018 postseason, Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott seemed to take his play to a new level. He’s now taking his leadership to a new level.

I’ve always been vocal,” Prescott said this week, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “I can probably say this year I’ve been more stern. Not necessarily mean, but I expect a lot from these guys, especially guys that have been here. And I want them to expect the same from me.”

That’s the hallmark of a veteran quarterback who is embracing his broader role — and who understands how to properly hold teammates accountable.

“I’d be pissed if they weren’t calling me out for it, if a guy blows a route or something like that,” Prescott said. “I’d be mad as hell if they don’t call me out for it.”

Like good leaders do, Prescott tailors his message to its recipient.

“With some guys, I’ll be like, ‘What are you doing? Are you all right? What the hell is going on? You don’t do that. You’re better than that,'” Prescott said.

And it’s worked.

“It’s been great,” Prescott said. “Great response from it.”

Prescott can get away with being hard on teammates because he’s hard on himself. He also can get away with it because he doesn’t call people out publicly, but he always keeps it within the confines of the team.

It’s really not difficult. It all comes down to whether a guy gets it. Prescott does.

33 responses to “Dak Prescott becoming “more stern” as a leader

1. It will be difficult to impossible for Dak to be viewed as a leader once his teammates realize he cannot be counted upon to perform on the field.
    That is all.

2. krepfle82 says:
    June 1, 2019 at 9:32 am
    That is all.
    _________________________________________________

I agree

3. If only he was better than “good”, because good isn’t good enough to get it done

4. If you say it loud enough and often enough and long enough, it becomes true?

5. Krepfle82

Dak Prescott has 32 wins in his 3 NFL seasons (2nd most during that span). In 14 of which he drove the offense down the field and won the game as either a game winning drive or a 4th quarter comeback. During those drives the offense threw the ball nearly 80% of the time and ran it approximately 20%. He has 85 total TDs to 25 INT during the time span as well; only 2 QBs have more total TDs and less INTs during that same time span (you may have heard of those 2 guys, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady).

It will be difficult to impossible for Dak not to be viewed as a leader if he keeps (literally) leading the team down the field and WINNING games.

That is all.

6. paultilifall says:
    June 1, 2019 at 10:20 am
    Krepfle82

Doesn’t pass the eye test. He panics and forces things when the pressure is on. Check down charlie and over-reliant on Zeke.
    Keep spouting your twisted stats. I think you know what you have in Dak, a good QB but not one who can deliver the goods.
    Dallas, Washington, Detroit only three teams to not at least reach the NFC Championship game in two decades. THAT IS ALL. 🙂

7. Boy o boy lots of Dak hating in here. There are probably 20 teams or maybe even a few more that would love to have him as a qb. He’s been a solid starter. First 3 years are rough, he’s just coming into his own, give the man a break. I’m not even a fan of the cowboy’s, and I can see he’s pretty good. Let’s see what he looks like with a full year of Cooper at receiver. He looked better when he had someone that wasn’t a small slot receiver to throw to. Seems to be a good guy on and off the field as well.

8. ncintron76 says:
    June 1, 2019 at 11:54 am
    Please shut up Dak! You wish you were Carson.

Yeah- I’m sure Dak stays up all night wishing he was hurt all the time and regularly outplayed by his backup. You sir are a buffoon.

9. Grading Scale, he’s performed his first 3 years as a B+. But we see he’s gonna level out and his career will be a B-. That’s very good for a 4th round QB, but it’s not $25/M year good.

10. paultilifall says:
    June 1, 2019 at 10:20 am
    Krepfle82

That is all.
    ———————————————————————————
    I can pick and choose stats to make a point just like you can. After Prescott’s huge rookie season, he is 19-13 over the past two years. yes, he has 44 TD, but he has 21 int AND 16 fumbles over that time period. He has also been sacked 88 times in the last two years. Oh yea, he is also a very mediocre 1-2 in the playoffs.

Let’s pump the brakes on enshrinement in Canton… At least for now..

11. ncintron76 says:

Please shut up Dak! You wish you were Carson.
    =======================================

I don’t think he wants to be on injured reserve every season.

12. This quickly divided into Cowboys’ fans and Not Cowboys’ fans point making contest.

Some have made up their minds on Prescott, I have not. If he’s still the same guy 3 years from now he is up to this point then his detractors are probably correct. If he continues to improve, that speaks for itself. This year he needs to be better than the last which was better than the year before that.
    We’ll see.

13. Krepfle82
    I don’t care if he “doesnt pass the eye test.” He passes the winning games at a high rate test. But I will 100% agree with you on us knowing what we have. He’s a good, young QB who has only played 3 seasons. But in those 3 seasons he’s played above expectations and has been a solid leader.

Fishfan77
    Lol. I didn’t pick and choose stats. Those are totals for his career. You actually cherry picked stats for your argument. Give it a break. And I don’t believe, nor have I ever said he is an elite QB who is destined for Canton. If he keeps winning games at this rate, he just might be though.

Look, when Romo went down in 2016 Dak inherited a team that just came off of a 4-12 season. Let that sink in. He was named the starter very late so it wasn’t like he was even preparing with the 1st team all offseason. And all this unheralded 4th round pick has done is win the second most games as a starter in his career. Of course Zeke is clearly the best player and is an elite RB who ultimately elevates the team from being good to very good. But when Zeke missed 6 games the team still finished 9-7 because Dak kept them at .500 during the suspension. If Dak was elite he would’ve led them to a 4-2 record and into the playoffs, but he didn’t so he is a good QB and not an elite one, yet. That’s the thing here for us supporters; he’s still very young in terms of an NFL QBs career and he has shown us a ton of promise. I don’t think we should be mocked for being hopeful that he will continue to get better and eventually become one of the better QBs in the league. Right now, I’d put him in the 8-12 range in comparison to his peers. I also completely agree that his game doesn’t always look pretty, but guess what, that’s why they practice and try to improve.

At the end of the day he seems like a very solid young man. One that wasn’t lauded with praise coming into the league and one that has done nothing but beat the odds of his 4th round draft position. If you can’t root for a kid like that, then I think you’re a very shallow, sad person.

14. fishfan77 says:

Let’s pump the brakes on enshrinement in Canton… At least for now..
    —————————————————————-
    No one suggested he was a HOFer. Dak is a QB who has won 67% of his starts. Has a 96 QB rating. Has won the division 2 out of 3 years. He’s better than 20 other starting QBs at least. I guess your criteria is if you’re not HOFer you suck.

15. Dak is your average QB. I’m not a hater but I’ve watched enough games where he misses wide open second and third reads. Defenses study a lot of film and when he feels pressure, he’s not very accurate to that second and third read.

In other words, he’s not throwing a lot of receivers open!

16. I’m no Cowboy fan, but like to pull for people with character. So far Dak’s QB skills seem to be middle-of-the-pack, but he appears to be a quality person who works hard and keeps his ego in check. I respect that, and I hope he continues to improve as a player.

17. Doesnt matter how many wins you get in the regular season. A good QB is judged by post season performance. So far Dak is a loser in the playoffs.

18. I don’t know how good he will end up being, but his wins over the first 3 years of a career are pretty impressive. Don’t forget, this guy got Mississippi State up to #1 at one point while in the SEC. He’s certainly not a scrub.

19. paultilifall says:
    June 1, 2019 at 10:20 am
    Krepfle82

Dak Prescott has 32 wins in his 3 NFL seasons (2nd most during that span).

—-

No offense but I live in Dallas. And most of my Dallas fan friends think Dak is exactly what he is – a 4th rounder. Zeke is a bigger component of that offence. Plus 2nd most during that span has so many variables (including playing in a relatively bad NFC East) that you can’t even compare it.

20. You have to be a tough love person. As well as firm but fair. Really Dak seems to be really good. As he heads into a contract year.

21. Still not worth 30 million a year. Romo carried the team, this team is carrying Dak. This team is lock a loaded. Romo would’ve had 2 rings by now with this roster. – A die hard Cowboys’ fan.

22. Fishfan…..

I am a Dallas fan not the biggest Dak fan but come on.. 19-13 in 2 seasons is a pretty good record. In the 2016 play off loss 31-34 Dak was 24 of 31 301 3 touchdowns to 1 one…. I would put that loss squarely on the defense…… even you picking and choosing stats isn’t working against him….

23. In FMIA a few weeks ago, Stephen King wrote that he thought Prescott deserved a $30 million/year contract. That seems a bit high, but it the going rate for quarterbacks these days. For winning quarterbacks, I should say, and one wild card victory doesn’t count much for winning. (Aikman had to win a Super Bowl to get a $50 million contract, spread out of 10 years or $5 million/year.)

So this is a contract year for Prescott, and for Elliot as well, both at the end of their rookie deals. Then, there’s Cooper, who will be playing for an extension. It’s also a contract year for Garrett, who will be coaching to justify his employment.

It would appear the Joneses, operating in win-now desperation mode, are placing all the pressure on the head coach, the quarterback, running back, and receiver to perform, if they want to get paid. How that will work out with newly appointed 1st-year offensive coordinator Moore is anybody’s guess, but the pressure is on. 24 years is a long time to wait for a conference championship appearance.

I don’t dislike Prescott, but I’m not sold on him either. He seems to me a better-that-average quarterback, meaning good enough to win, which sometimes is enough, but I don’t see in him that which distinguishes great from good, the innate ability to inspire an entire team to victory. That’s what all the great quarterbacks–Graham, Starr, Bradshaw, Staubach, Montana, Aikman, Elway, Brady–had; when they took the field, you just knew they would find a way to win. However, when they were winning most, each was paired with a great coach–Brown, Lombardi, Knoll, Landry, Walsh, Johnson, Shanahan, Belichick. That’s the way it always has been, always will be. Champions are bred by combining the right coach with the right quarterback. Take away either one, and the other reverts to average. (For example, Lombardi failed in Washington, and Johnson failed in Miami. Montana couldn’t achieve in Kansas City, and Aikman only achieved once with Switzer, then couldn’t again.)

In this regard, I have a deep distrust in Garrett. He couldn’t achieve with Romo, and I doubt he’ll be able to with Prescott. He’s just not that good of a coach.

I’ve been watching the Dallas Cowboys play football since I was a baby in 1961. I know well the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, but these last two decades, especially the last few years, have been boringly predictable. Dallas will probably win 8-10 games, might take the division title, maybe advance to the divisional round, then lose. What Jerry Jones will do at that point is too scary to imagine, but it will probably be something incredibly stupid.

24. Prescott didn’t win 32 games, ZEKE ELLIOT DID;

Prescott can lick the owner’s boots but he couldn’t hit either one of them if the owner were moving past ten yards downfield;

of this 32 ‘wins’, how many were over playoff calibre teams, or even teams with winning records?

Prescott cannot read an NFL defence if they all held up placards and dressed in gowns and high heels and Alex Trebeck was the defensive coordinator;

it’ll be quite the clown show when he faces off against the Giants and their equally inept new QB—the Single Wing Super Bowl;

no way the two of them put together aren’t worth $30M;