Jimmy Graham: I am going to prove a lot of people wrong

Getty Images

Jimmy Graham signed a three-year deal with the Packers a year ago expected to become a favorite target of Aaron Rodgers. But the five-time Pro Bowl tight end scored only two touchdowns, catching 55 passes for 636 yards.

Does Graham have anything left?

The 32-year-old insists he does and will prove his doubters wrong.

“I mean we all have our ups and downs,” Graham said Sunday during his charity cornhole tournament, via Kelly Price of Green Bay’s NBC 26. “Obviously, there was a lot going on last year for all of us in the building. But all that’s in the past. I know the player that I am, and I know I still have juice; I know I still can run. I’m going to go prove a lot of people wrong.”

The Packers finished only 6-9-1 in 2018, missing the playoffs for the second consecutive season. They fired Mike McCarthy and hired Matt LaFleur, giving Graham, and all the Packers, a fresh start.

“Obviously, last year was disappointing for everybody,” Graham said. “I’m not used to losing. I don’t think anybody here is, you know? And for me, it was not a good year. I’m completely focused on putting my best foot forward and being the player that I am: Scoring in the red zone and being that big threat on third down. I mean, I’ve got to get back to that, and I take it serious. It’s something that eats at me every single day, not making the playoffs and sometimes not making the plays that I should have. So you better believe I’m going to be ready.”

45 responses to “Jimmy Graham: I am going to prove a lot of people wrong

1. Drew and Sean made him a star.

He has been with wiggle around the pocket sand lot players for QBs and his game has suffered.

Imagine that.

Play with a detail oriented qb and a coach that can draw up plays and you are great.

It has nothing to do with juice it has to do with players and coaches.

Hopefully you are not on the wrong side of your QBs ego or you won’t get the red zone looks.

2. Can he return to his pro bowl days? Most likely not. Can he be better than last year? I don’t think there’s any doubt he can, and that’s all the team really needs from him. Anything above that would be gravy.

3. I’m with nflgm. I think he probably will. More important I am hoping he does. I don’t root against players. Poorly used in SEA, dysfunction in GB. You go Jimmy.

4. Dude is a one trick pony now. He can run 5 yards turn and post up a smaller defender. That’s it. He’s just too slow now and can’t get any separation from a defender. He was that way his last year in Seattle, too. Absolutely useless for any play downfield. You can change whatever you want in the offense, it ain’t gonna make him any faster.

5. Usually when a guy starts talking about what he’s going to do it usually goes the opposite way.

6. Used to be a great player. They signed him to be Touchdown Frankenstein and he didn’t do a very good job of that. It’s going to take a lot of ‘supplements’ to get back to good. Football good, fire bad. They need to give Tonyan a look as a playmaker.

7. Never been the same after that patella tendon injury… my money is on him retiring in 2 years…

8. Graham is fine.

It all depends on if he displeases the guy throwing the ball who will ignore him when open unless he does what he wants even if its not what the coach wants.

9. Facts are facts and he’s not been the same player since he left New Orleans. He was a product of Brees and Payton and he’s been pretty much average since and he still can’t block.

10. “I’m going to go prove a lot of people wrong.”

11. LaFleur loves to utilize the TE’s in his offense. This bodes well for Jimmy. Graham is also healthy. Jimmy was not able to practice during the week last season because of a knee injury that he played through. That is gone.

Jimmy doesn’t talk to the media a lot and he doesn’t make statements like this unless he feels good about what he is saying.

Graham is there and sees what LaFleur is doing and Jimmy knows this offense is going to be electric. He is going to be a part of that.

#GoPackGo!🏈

12. I hope Graham is better, but if the Packers were confident in him they wouldn’t have drafted Sternberger.

13. A lot of people who thought that you were the answer at TE for the Packers, maybe….
    —-
    Had better stats than your team’s top tight end fyi. Don’t let that slow you down though.

14. “My money is on him retiring in 2 years”

============

Wonderful. We are talking about this season and those that are witnessing the installs of the Packers offense are very excited about what this offense is shaping into.

I do think Jimmy will have a very good season and Jimmy being the #1 TE will allow Jace Sternberger to play and learn from him without having any added pressure as a rookie. Jace has a lot of talent, but it may take a season for him to grow into a #1 TE which is what I expect him to be in 2020.

#OneTeamOneNation

#PackerNation!☝

15. “Obviously, there was a lot going on last year for all of us in the building. ”
    ——————
    Add another to the list of teammates talking about Rodgers being the problem.

16. For my part, it’s just nice to have a guy that is concentrating on being the best he can be this upcoming season, as opposed to dragging his team through the mud for not giving him enough money (like that silly, mediocre rudolph fellow)

17. “I’ve always said, ‘Any free agent that comes in plays a lot better his second year than he does his first year,’ ” Zimmer said this past week. “And I don’t know why that’s the case. I think if you look throughout the times, you can even talk about some of the guys we have now. I think Linval Joseph played a lot better his second year. Captain Munnerlyn, when he was here, played a lot better his second year. So, a lot of these guys that come in here as free agents, it takes them a year to get acclimated, whatever the situation is.”

-Mike Zimmer

18. minneanderthals says:
    June 2, 2019 at 9:17 pm

I’m just happy to have a tight end that’s concerned about playing as opposed to getting paid.
    ___________

Why would he be concerned about getting paid when he’s in the middle of the biggest tight end contract in NFL history? He didn’t look too concerned about playing in the first year of that contract.

19. pkrlvr says:
    June 3, 2019 at 9:11 am

__________

Graham had 55 catches for 636 yards and two TDs.
    Rudolph had 64 catches for 634 yards and four TDs.

So in what way did he have better stats?

20. pkrlvr says:
    June 3, 2019 at 9:11 am
    —-
    ——————–
    Come again? Considering Graham is such a terrible blocker he was mainly used to run routes while Rudy, like most TE’s has some blocking responsibility. So, since Graham is a slow WR and Rudy is a true TE let’s focus on productivity…

Graham – 61% catch rate for 7.06 yards per target – 2 TD’s
    Rudy – 83% catch rate for 7.73 yards per target – 4 TD’s

Basically, every other metric in DVOA and DYAR has Rudolph as the superior player ranking him 15-20 spots higher.

21. pkrliar says

###

As others have already pointed out, Graham’s stats for any meaningful statistical category were well below Rudolph’s, despite Graham being the highest paid TE in the NFL.

It would be nice is you would attempt to post honestly, instead of simply posting outright lies.

22. Purple is for Pansies says:

Oh, and Graham had more yards and more yards per catch (by far).
    ###

Targets for Graham were 89 – for Rudolph, 82

Yards per catch for Graham was 11.6 – for Rudolph, 9.9.

Total yards for Graham was 636 – for Rudolph, 634

Yards per target for Graham was 7.1 – for Rudolph, 7.7

Catch % for Graham was 61.8 – for Rudolph, 78

TD’s for Graham was 2 – for Rudolph, 4

So with more targets, Graham had 2 more yards, 1.7 more yards per catch and 2 less TD’s.

Just where is that (by far) you’re talking about???

23. I provided a quote earlier from Zimmer regarding second-year free agents. If you’d like to know how Graham will likely perform this year, go back and read the opinion of a professional.

24. cellarperformance says

###

That assumes competent coaching.

Something that is lacking in Green Bay.

25. stellarperformance says:
    June 3, 2019 at 10:58 am

-Mike Zimmer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That doesn’t really mean anything. The Kubiak Dynasty is all that matters now.

26. Thank you for providing the input of a defensive minded coach about players entering their second year in a defense when referring to a washed-up tight end entering his second year but first year in an entirely new system. Those totally relate.

27. gtodriver says:
    June 3, 2019 at 9:04 pm
    That assumes competent coaching. Something that is lacking in Green Bay.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

How the heck would you know? The Vikings coaching staff is abandoning Zimmer left and right. That’s the model? Blowhard.

28. Frazier28/7 says:
    June 4, 2019 at 12:30 pm
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You’re splitting hairs. Key words: “Any free agent……”

29. These purple dopes are about as dumb as they get!! Your on what your 5th offensive coordinator, and 2nd or 3rd st coordinator in the last 3 years? Yeah your coaching staff..you know the one..they had such a great game plan in the nfc championship game in philly is so great!! The same coaching staff that couldn’t even get you a .500 record last season in a weak nfc!! Go spew your garbage elsewhere that team is going nowhere with zimmer and the rest of the clowns on that staff!!!