Russell Wilson wants to play until he’s 45

AP

Russell Wilson signed a four-year contract extension that made him the league’s highest-paid player. He will have just turned 35 when he finishes out the deal at the end of the 2023 season.

Thus, the Seahawks quarterback does not expect this to be his last deal.

“I feel like I’m just getting started,” Wilson told Michael Silver of NFL Media. “That’s the scary part. That’s the most exciting part. That’s really where I believe that I am right now: I’m just getting started. And I believe this team is just getting started. So, I think that we can do anything that we set our minds out to do.”

After the Seahawks selected him in the third round in 2012, Wilson set out to play 12 years and win multiple Super Bowls. He’s played seven years and won one Super Bowl.

He wants more.

“Seven years has gone by so fast,” Wilson said. “You think about just turning 30 years and what I have for the rest of my career — for the next 10-15 years — I’m just fired up about it. You think about some of the best quarterbacks of all time, guys like Drew [Brees], guys like Tom [Brady], who [are playing into their 40s]. I really look up to those guys. There’s so much more to do.”

Silver asked Wilson if he really meant playing for 15 more years, until he was 45, an age Brady has listed as his goal.

“Yeah, yeah,” Wilson said. “That’s the goal. I’m just fired up for it.”

It’s the same thing he said on PFT Live in December 2017, so apparently he truly believes he’s “just getting started.”

“It’s kinda like, ‘OK, boom, now it’s time to take off’ — and that’s really where I want to go,” Wilson said.

57 responses to “Russell Wilson wants to play until he’s 45

1. He’ll last until his athleticism starts to fade. He’s also taken some real beatings behind those poor OL’s. That is a lot of wear and tear on him. I’ll be shocked if he is still a starting NFL QB at 38.

2. Don’t bet against Russell Wilson. He’s too short, he’ll never be an NFL QB, he’s a runner, the defense carries the team, he’s just a game manager, etc. I will remind you that former NCSU coach Tom O’Brien chose Mike Glennon over Wilson, using his baseball playing as a pretext. Idiot NCSU fans supported the coach & wanted Wilson out.That worked out great.

All Russell did was lead Wisconsin to the Rose Bowl as team captain. Playing until 45 or beyond, with the QB rules, is certainly possible. Running plays called by inept OC, Bevell was a impediment. Now this the tether is cut & Russell Wilson should have his best statistical season.

3. Being 35 as a QB now is like being 28 for a QB ten years ago.

38 is not the end of QB’s career anymore. The good ones can play to 40 and beyond. I think 45 is pushing it, but I can see 42 becoming the average norm for the end of a QB’s playing career.

4. Yeah, I don’t remember seeing Brady ever get repeatedly beat up due to a horrible OL like Wilson has. The wear and tear aren’t even close to equal. So 45? I doubt it.

5. Pocket passes play into their late 30s. When your game is moving out of the pocket as a major weapon you won’t last that long. Brady is the GOAT. Everyone thinks they can do what he does.

6. Cleon Ross says:
    June 3, 2019 at 5:12 pm
    ——————–
    You have to be willing to swallow your pride on the field.
    That doesn’t mean Brady doesn’t have an ego, but he realizes you can’t play hurt.
    That takes discipline. Probably more important than raw talent.

7. freefromwhatyouare says:
    June 3, 2019 at 4:55 pm
    Being 35 as a QB now is like being 28 for a QB ten years ago.

———————————————
    I would say that is accurate for a pocket passer like Brady/Brees. Wilson’s ability to scramble to create plays is an important part of who he is and the fact that he has stayed healthy through 7 years is impressive. We are starting to see it with A-Rog, when the legs are taken away he is very average like his record the last 3 years suggests.

8. ronfai says:
    June 3, 2019 at 5:14 pm
    I’d love to laugh at this but that lil man is as resilient and durable as it gets.

———————————
    Yes he has been, but Father Time is undefeated.

9. Russell Wilson has been to the playoffs in all but one season as Seattle’s franchise QB. He has more talent in his pinkie than Eli Manning has in his whole body. I’m gonna bet on his words over the narrative.

10. Russell does a lot of things well, but one of his best skills is getting tackled. LOL- seriously, he knows how to avoid physical hits and how to go down without injury. He could reach 45 and if he does I want to see it.

11. Wilson is a prima Donna . Just shut up dude, you also said you wanted to win 6 SBs. For someone who is 30,31 to say he wants to play until 45 is just someone trying to get attention. Get into your late 30s before running your mouth. Also someone with ONE SB win saying they want to win SIX sounds like an idiot

12. For those saying Wilson will only last until he’s athleticism fails him please note Wilson has played and started in 112 out of 112 possible games. If you watch the games you would also realize he never takes straight on solid hits. He’s always sliding or going out of bounds during scrambles or designed runs. And he’s also a very good passer.

13. tylawspick6 says:
    June 3, 2019 at 5:00 pm
    lol

Here we go…Just unreal.

Running QBs won’t last past 40. Especially small ones.
    ==========================================
    I bet you said running QBs will never make it in this league when he was drafted.

14. Realistically, he will probably not make it to 40, at least not playing at a high level. He will lose some athleticism and speed, the game will really change up for him.

But no harm in the guy just setting goals. He has the work ethic at least, good luck to him.

15. He is due for a big pay cut pretty soon. I don’t see him getting paid $35 million per year if his team keeps getting knocked out of the first round or missing the playoffs altogether. They may just cut him loose if he refuses to take a pay cut. No other team is going to pay him that much money. I guarantee it. The odds of him play till he is 35 as a starter is minuscule.

16. I will never understand why QB’s make statements like this one. It’s ridiculous because we all know one big hit and a player’s career could be over.
    Wilson should just worry about his next real game and leave it at that. So should all the other QB’s.

17. JPOH33 says:
    June 3, 2019 at 4:52 pm
    I thought football was a brutal game that destoyed your body. If you can still do it at 45 it’s not that brutal.
    +++
    It was, and still is, to a point. That point is the rules protecting players. Specifically the QB position.

QBs used to be just another player on the field. Not anymore. There are ten guys on offense, and a QB. Or at least that’s what it seems to be.

18. Agree, yeah yeah yeah Russell, as long as Seattle will pay you 25% of the cap, re check in 5 years !

19. He took Wisconsin to a Rose Bowl……He took Seattle to 2 Super Bowls. His career is less than half over. He is Brett Favre as far as durability, and Steve Young as far as talent. First ballot HOFer coming in 20 years.

20. He is exactly one ordinary hit to his aging body from hobbling around in a daze for the rest of his life. Both Troy Aikman and Steve Young found that, yes, you can play too long after getting knocked out on the field.

21. I don’t see why not Eli will still be with the he Giants when he’s 45

22. lol

Here we go…Just unreal.

Running QBs won’t last past 40. Especially small ones.

———-

and somehow guys like you who think they know football are still calling Russell Wilson a running quarterback after all of his passing records.

Third most TD’S in the first seven years behind Dan Marino and Peyton Manning and ahead of Aaron Rodgers…

I am talking about passing touchdowns, not running touchdowns for defensive touchdowns.

But he’s a running quarterback…*eyeroll*

That rollout playground stuff is icing on the cake.

23. He might come off as a Jj watt-esque cornball sometimes but he’s tough as nails and has earned what he’s gotten. QBs without his mobility would have died behind the shambolic lines they’ve put in front of him with a straight face under the old (real) football rules.

Not betting against a champion who was too small yet has never been hurt despite having no one blocking for him and no one to throw to.

24. I would say: there is a difference between pocket passer QB durability and scrambling QB durability. The latter ones won’t play in their 40′ that you can take it to the bank. Wilson certifies as a scrambling QB.

25. Wilson is a mobile QB. Brady and Brees are pocket passers. The odds are heavily stacked against a quarterback that plays Wilson’s style versus others. Breees caught a lot of flak when he said the same thing. Brady will be the first to show how effective s 45 year old QB can be in today’s NFL. It’s admirable Wilson wants to play to that age but I think he’s going to have to change his play style as he ages. I don’t see him doing all the spins and outrunning people to extend plays against players that will be half his age

26. When he hits the end of this contract without anymore SB rings will anyone want him? A 35 yo QB who is 9 years from his only SB win? I am guessing…NO.

27. We’ll see.

Most profound comment on here so far.

Wilson needs to find Brady’s source of untraceable PED’s then he is a lock. Avocados……right

28. Ya right!!!! Wilson isn’t playing until he is 45yrs because a huge part of Wilson’s game is based on his quickness/speed/mobility and ability to escape pressures w/ his elusiveness, as he gets deeper into his 30s that is going to leave him. Wilson took an absolute beating last year sacked 52 times, once his elusiveness is gone he will be sacked/hit @ a crazy rate and injuries will become more and more of a concern. With Wilson making $35+ Million dollars a year it severely limits the players/talent SEA can put around him. Like 99% of QB’s in NFL History he likely wont have much left and will be forced into retirement at 37-38yrs old.

29. Csaba Baráth says:
    June 4, 2019 at 4:23 am
    ====================================

Pocket passers do not play into their early-mid 40’s either, Tom Brady is the exception not the rule. Most QB’s retire between 36-38 years old which is where I see Wilson being forced to walk away from the game. Wilson is already 30, once he hits 32,33, 34yrs old he is going to discover that his mobility/speed/elusiveness has started to fail him and he will start many more sacks & hits which is a problem considering he was the most sacked QB in the NFL last season sacked 52 times w/ his mobility & athleticism still available to him. By the time he is 35 he will have taken absolute beating over the last few seasons and injuries will start becoming a concern. I dont think Wilson plays much longer than his 35-37 season.