Johnny Manziel interested in playing for Houston’s XFL team

Getty Images

June Jones, who will coach Houston’s XFL team, has expressed interest in having Johnny Manziel play for him. The interest is mutual.

Manziel told John McClain of the Houston Chronicle today that he would like to play for Jones in Houston after previously playing for him in Hamilton, in the Canadian Football League.

I enjoyed every single day I had with coach Jones,” Manziel said. “Being in his offense was the best part of each day. I know he’s going to be successful wherever he’s coaching.”

Manziel also said he knows Houston and Houston knows him, thanks to his time at Texas A&M.

“It’s a stone’s throw from College Station,” he said. “A lot of Aggies drove from Houston to College Station. Houston’s a great city that’ll always be near and dear to me.”

Manziel would be the most famous name in the XFL, and it’s hard to believe Vince McMahon won’t do what it takes to get him on the field. If Manziel wants to play in the XFL and Jones wants to coach him, it seems highly likely to happen when the XFL launches next year.

53 responses to “Johnny Manziel interested in playing for Houston’s XFL team

1. I’m also interested in playing for them. Doesn’t mean they’re interested in me.

2. lets be realistic..interested? no, he has no other option. But who the hell doesnt wanna see johnny back playing football. Its in the winter and your options are slim, sign me up to watch him toss the pig skin

3. It is already proven that when given ‘X’ number of chances, he is going to make ‘X+1’ number of mistakes

4. I don’t care what anyone says, I love this dude. Bring back the money sign celebration, walk with a swagger after a big play, and flaunt the old confidence. People are going to judge regardless. Bring it back a few years and give them a reason to talk.

5. I think we need another person to say something really clever like “more like it is his only option” or “Houston is not interssted” Because seeing that posted 20 times already just is not enough.

6. letsride2470 says:
    June 8, 2019 at 5:10 pm

——————————————————————————————-
    Do you also love all the booze and drugs he put away? And how about slugging his girlfriend? Manziel was so arrogant, he thought the world and NFL owed him a living.
    You say he flaunted confidence. There’s a huge difference between confidence and arrogance. Manziel was the most arrogant little twerp he could be and he had nothing to back it up. He’s had more than enough chances to play football somewhere. But his problem is he simply isn’t good enough and he’s a kid who was spoiled rotten by his well-to-do family.
    I can’t stand him and hope he never plays football again. Let him go out and try to find a job in the real world and make it so he has to start from the bottom and earn his way up the ladder as everyone else does.
    As someone else above said, please Manziel — just go away!!

7. Do it Johnny! I’m one more terrible call/no call away from calling it quits on the nfl. I’ll gladly watch you in the XFL.

8. Although I was disappointed that he left Montreal, I certainly understand that he’s more comfortable back home. Work hard, be patient, and return to the heights and glories of Johnny Football!!!

9. If Houston just has to have an arrogant entitled bad boy QB with a local connection, bring in Chad Kelly. At least he hasn’t yet proved he can’t play the game.
    Let Johnny Boy relive the good old days by selling his autograph to his Aggie admirers and let the rest of us enjoy football.

10. droppedinagreasefire
    Jun 8, 2019, 3:47 PM CDT
    Houston, we have a problem.

Congratulations you’ve won the internet today!

11. I’ve never seen so many people with their jockeys all wedged up over a football player. 99% of the things he did were magnified by a thirsty media which made a living trashing Johnnie. I hope he does play football. I hope he plays every game. I will watch every one. Go, Johnnie, Go! And no, I was never entertained by his drug or alcohol abuse. But I was entertained by his persona, and will look forward to being entertained again.

12. C’mon, Johnny Flash In The Pan…get a job doing tire rotations and checking air pressures at Discount Tire and do your money sign there. See who cares.

13. C’mon, Johnny Flash In The Pan….get a real job doing tire rotations and checking tire pressures at Discount Tire. Do your money thing there. See if anyone cares.

14. nyneal says:
    June 8, 2019 at 5:31 pm
    letsride2470 says:
    June 8, 2019 at 5:10 pm

——————————————————————————————-
    As someone else above said, please Manziel — just go away

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

RELAX, you will watch every game he plays.

15. Bob. Just Bob. says:
    June 8, 2019 at 7:09 pm
    This is a no-brainer.
    How can they mess this up?
    Get ‘er done!!!
    _________________________________

I’m glad you used the phrase “no-brainer” in your post about Johnny Manziel. A lack of brains has been the hallmark of many of his after college decisions.

16. cmack21 says:
    June 8, 2019 at 6:19 pm

How many chances does a woman beater get?!?
    _____________________________________

Ask Warren Moon.

17. Even rg3, who didnt cause any trouble off the field has gotten less chances than this guy. Hes going to play in every single league. Australian football is next im sure. What a clown. Some 52 or 53 man on a roster who does nothing but follow rules gets cut and has to duke it out on special teams while this guy lives off of petroleum money. Please stop reporting about him. Id rather hear stories of a long snapper working two jobs and making a roster than this guy in any capacity.

18. Its clear to me now that if you do a bunch of look at me celebrations in college you will be a star for life no matter how well you play after college

19. I think it is time for Johnny Football to exit stage left. He is nothing but a clown at this point. Everyone seems to see it except Johnny.

20. I believe in second chances but enough is enough. There are not enough success stories like Marcus Sherels, Adam Theilen and others, hard working guys who only needed a chance to show how bad they wanted it. It’s time to ditch this guy and give the opportunity to someone who will treasure it and work hard to earn it. At this point he is an embarrassment and a horrible example for our young fans. I know money rules but it’s time for Vince McMann to say no thank you Johnny. But McMann knows the value of a good villain in wrestling and in football this nitwit has people rooting against him. Unfortunately it fits the wrestling storyline and will sell tickets. Too bad.

21. cmack21 says:
    June 8, 2019 at 6:19 pm
    How many chances does a woman beater get?!?
    ============================================

This is Texas, where Affluenza was legalized for the very wealthy. Combined with being a star in the state religion of football, Manziel, will get many more chances.