Kyle Rudolph says he’s staying in Minnesota

Getty Images

After an offseason of uncertainty, it appears as those the Minnesota Vikings and tight end Kyle Rudolph have mended fences.

Rudolph passed along a message via his Twitter account Monday night indicating he’s staying in Minnesota.

“I am honored beyond words to say that my home, our home, will always be… in Minnesota! #UnfinishedBusiness,” Rudolph wrote.

According to Courtney Cronin of ESPN.com, Rudolph has agreed to a contract extension with the Vikings. He is expected to sign the deal Tuesday morning. Per Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, it’s a four-year extension worth $36 million. With the money remaining on his current deal for 2019, Rudolph will make upwards of $43 million over the next five seasons if the contract runs to its duration.

Rudolph was the subject of trade talks this offseason as extension talks with the Vikings had seemingly stalled out. Rudolph made it clear he didn’t intend to take a pay cut either. However, extension talks were back in the works three weeks ago and appear to have finally gotten over the finish line.

“Just under a decade ago, I received a phone call that would change my life,” Rudolph wrote. “On that day all I knew is that I would be playing in the NFL, realizing my childhood dream. What I didn’t know was the role the state of Minnesota would play in my life. Marrying my wife and establishing our home… in Minnesota. Experiencing the birth of my 3 beautiful children… in Minnesota. Starting a journey to better the lives of children dealing with a disease that doesn’t discriminate… in Minnesota. Giving everything I can possibly give, professionally and personally, to the greatest sports franchise and it’s fans… in Minnesota.”

59 responses to “Kyle Rudolph says he’s staying in Minnesota

1. Nice way to couch things there….I play for The Greatest Sports Franchise in…Minnesota.

The Greatest Sports Franchise period is in New England, and you won’t be playing there apparently.

2. Didn’t expect it go any other way, but there was that OUTSIDE hope that talks would break down and they’d be forced to trade him to the Pats.

I think the key thing is that he didn’t want to uproot his family. Never underestimate that factor. When you have already made several million dollars already and can reasonably assume you can make much more in the future, you can afford not to have to squeeze the last dollar out of your team.

The more a players FAMILY likes where the live, the better the likelihood that he and his team will reach a deal. This is a perfect example.

3. That’s great… Was hoping he would stay,because Patriots could have traded for him and I dislike the Patriots.

4. Glad he signed. Now let’s laugh at all the trolls commenting about all their insecurities about the Vikings .

5. Ask Matt Barkley about throwing around the term #UnfinishedBusiness

LOL

The term literally cost that guy millions.

6. Told you but you didn’t listen. Also Elflein isn’t even going to make the starting lineup because Klien is switch to LG & Samia will be RG because Elflein has a poor work ethic.

What stands out with Elflein in pretty much every play is a lack of physicality, lack of effort, lack of toughness, lack of intensity, and sometimes lack of awareness as well. He doesn’t sustain his blocks, he gets pushed around, doesn’t really play through the whistle, and really seems to just be going through the motions rather than trying to impose his will and beat his opponent physically.

Don’t believe me. Ask Zim.

7. They said one of the obstacles to trading him was that his contract was running out in a year, and he would want a much bigger contract. I’m not sure this means they will trade him, in fact I think it might mean the opposite. But regardless of the impact of this on his trade value, I am just as glad to see him stay. I think Kubiak’s offense is going to help him put up big numbers. I am not sure I wanted to go into the season with an unproven rookie, and a bunch a second stringers. So this is good news for all.

8. I said the whole time he was paid what he was worth. I didn’t boldly proclaim an extension was on the way, but there really isn’t a reason the Vikings would not try and resign him. Why did so many say he would be cut outright?

9. This is perfect. Probably essentially a 2 yr deal but it gives us time to see what irv smith is all about and time for him to develop. Tight end is one of the positions where the transition can take some time. Good move for the vikes and Rudy. He is one of the classiest guys in the organization and does so much for the community. He is a perfect example of a team player. He didnt hold out or skip drill and practice. He showed up everyday and did his job regardless of the out come. Happy to have you back Rudy.
    SKOL!!!!

10. Good, glad hes not coming to Pats….. he never has impressed me all that much & he was WAY too expensive for what he brings to the team….
    Wish him the best with Vikings!!!
    NOW, if we could only get the Gronkowski un-retirement talk to go away!!!!
    Time to move on media!!!!

11. packfansteve says:
    June 11, 2019 at 6:51 am

Don’t believe me. Ask Zim.
    ____________

I don’t believe you, but I don’t have Zim’s direct number like you apparently do. I’ve certainly never heard Zim say anything like that publicly about Elflein. Maybe he had a rough season last year because he had two surgeries and missed the entire offseason, training camp, and first two regular season games rehabbing. It’s hard to step right in and play at a high level when you can’t practice at all for months.

I told you Rudolph would be signed before minicamp, so here’s another prediction: Elflein will not only be in the starting lineup, but he will play very well at left guard. It is Josh Kline that will be supplanted by Samia sometime during the season. That guy is nothing special at all.

12. This appears to be setting up for the greatest 8-8 Vikings season in a long time.
    I get why they did it to lower their cap number this year, but Rudolph has become an average player at best.

13. That rate will allow him to live in California or New York or anywhere else and commute to work. He doesn’t have to physically LIVE in Minnesota, right?

14. filthymcnasty3 says:
    June 11, 2019 at 9:23 am

______________________________

He does a lot and I mean a lot for the community and for the kids in Minnesota. He is an all around good guy whose character is honorable, hard working and trustworthy. Somethig that is rare in the ME ME ME LOOK AT ME NFL. Its an okay deal to buy time to see What Irv Smith can do, win win for both side really. He may not be there for the full 4 years but we’ll see how it plays out.

15. I told you they wouldn’t have to trade him!
    Packers fans sounded so smug a few weeks ago, claiming they knew the Vikings cap situation

MN has the BEST cap czar in the NFL
    Proves to every FA out there that MN is a great place to live, great place to raise a family and that the grass is NOT always greener

And for all the Packers fans yapping about the Vikings being titleless…yes that’s true. But winning just two titles in the past 50 seasons doesn’t make Green Bay “Titletown” either!

Ouch

16. Good, glad hes not coming to Pats….. he never has impressed me all that much & he was WAY too expensive for what he brings to the team….
    Wish him the best with Vikings!!!
    NOW, if we could only get the Gronkowski un-retirement talk to go away!!!!
    Time to move on media!!!!

Pats fans are notorious for talking out of both sides of their mouth. This troll predicted the all knowing Hoody would steal Rudolf….hypocrites.

17. Think about it…the historic Green Bay Packers have as many titles in the past 50 seasons as the Patriots have in the past THREE!
    Ouch
    ——
    But you’re not a Pats fan, you’re a fan of a team with no championships during that time, so what you said is weird.

18. Is anyone surprised that Rudolph wants to stay as close to the North Pole as possible?
    —–
    What kind of soul-less monster down votes a Rudolph the red nose reindeer joke!?

19. Actually, you didn’t. You are mostly always wrong & your comments on Elflein prove you know nothing about how to watch a game or evaluate a player. You are embarrassing.

Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    June 11, 2019 at 9:39 am
    packfansteve says:
    June 11, 2019 at 6:51 am

Don’t believe me. Ask Zim.
    ____________

20. I’m TRULY going to enjoy watching the Patriots DESTROY the Sqeelers on opening weekend this coming season….
    Feel free to file this TRUE & ACCURATE POST that I DID ACTUALLY MAKE for future reference

21. downtownswinga says: Is New England still on line 1?
    —————
    They wouldn’t offer the salary Vikes are giving him, nor offer the picks Vikes would want.

22. This created $4 million in cap space for 2019… only thing that matters. Cap will continue to not be an issue because you can always move players or adjust contracts. All they need to do is get under cap for one more season and then Cousins is off.

23. Oooh, I can’t wait to see if Minnesota’s offense turns out as good as it’s sounding. No way to know this early and every team’s fans are optimistic in June, but for once I like every offensive move (and defensive) we made this offseason, so I am feeling very excited about this team. Let’s get this season going! Please no injuries!

24. I’m TRULY going to enjoy watching the Patriots DESTROY the Sqeelers on opening weekend this coming season….

And if they don’t are you going to hide until the smoke settles like you do when your many predictions are wrong? I bet the coward in you will take over as usual.

25. Vasteelerfan says:
    June 11, 2019 at 1:34 pm

——————–

Here’s Brady’s record against the Steelers in the Tomlin era:

— 7-1 record
    — 70.8 completion percentage (207 for 282)
    — 2,571 passing yards
    — 23 touchdown passes
    — 1 interception

I like their chances

26. wow. patrios and packer fans have a lot of short comings.
    your team has all these championships and all you can do is rip on other teams.
    sad, really.

If the Vikings won one championship, let alone two, I’d probably find something else to do with my time.

27. Why wouldn’t Kyle want to stay in Minnesota. Minneapolis was voted the best city in the country to raise a family. I should know, I was born and raised in that great city.

28. Frazier28/7 says:
    June 11, 2019 at 3:11 pm
    wow. patrios and packer fans have a lot of short comings.
    your team has all these championships and all you can do is rip on other teams.
    sad, really.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I agree, when the Twins won the a World Series in 87 it was incredible. The 1991 World Series didn’t feel the same, it was fun but I will always remember the first.