Raiders to appear on “Hard Knocks”

AP

The Oakland Raiders will be the subjects of this year’s Hard Knocks.

The NFL announced today that the NFL Films cameras will be in the Raiders’ camp for the show, which will air on HBO beginning August 6.

No teams wanted to do Hard Knocks this year, but NFL rules allow the league to force a team to appear if that team hasn’t done the show in the last 10 years, hasn’t made the playoffs in the last two years and doesn’t have a first-year head coach. The Raiders fit all three of those criteria.

And the Raiders should be a TV-friendly team, with coach Jon Gruden, new arrivals including Antonio Brown and Vontaze Burfict and three first-round rookies. Gruden didn’t want to do it, but the cast of characters his team has assembled will get the up-close-and-personal treatment on reality television this summer.

80 responses to “Raiders to appear on “Hard Knocks”

1. This should be good.

Chucky’s a natural for this crap.

2. Don’t be fooled. Of course Gruden wants to do this! He gets to show everyone how smart he is, and he gets to play to the cameras too? He’s like a mouse in deep cheese right now.

3. Ha! Who didn’t see this choice coming. Hopefully they’ll finish the day with Incognito holding court at the local strip club….

4. Gruden, Burfict, Incognito, and Brown on a reality show…and on the same team? This has train wreck written all over it. I’m totally in!!!

5. For some reason, I have never watched Hard Knocks before. But I am definitely watching this one.

6. If you would of told me that the NFL would become reality TV back in the 70’s or 80’s, I would of upchucked.

Now that the whole world is a “look at me” society, I am very disappointed.

smh

7. Mayock looks like he has aged 15 years since he has taken the job in crazytown !

8. Just when I was going to cancel my HBO subscription after GOT ended, boom, they drag me back in.

I can’t help rubbernecking a car accident!

9. Picking anyone else would have been a huge mistake. It was always going to be the raiders. Just too many explosive personalities to keep them bottled up.

10. Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmedsays:

June 11, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Should’ve been the Packers!

People love disarray.
    ________________________

Could have been the Vikings, but who wants a film crew in front of an empty trophy case?

11. firerogergoodellnow says:
    June 11, 2019 at 7:00 pm

If somehow the Pats missed the playoffs two straight years, Bill Belichick would retire to avoid the possibility of being picked for Hard Knocks.
    ————————————————————————————–

12. This decision smacks of “even a blind squirrel finds a nut”. The pukes on Park Ave. finally got one right. It was a long time coming.

13. After acquiring guys like Antonio Brown and Richie Incognito, is this really a surprise pick?

Also, does Hard Knocks still serve a purpose in 2019? I don’t know a single person who watches this show.

14. I think that HBO wins an Emmy Award if they do a scene involving Mark Davis at the barber shop with lots of close ups.

15. The Browns were the most intriguing. Too bad they’ve already done the show.

I could have been called Hard Knocks: Clown show.

16. firerogergoodellnow says:
    ___________________________________________________

Are you kidding? I’m convinced the creation of HARD KNOX is the very catalyst of Belichik’s reign. Once that terrifying possibility existed – he’s never taken a day off!

As long a Hard Knox exists and Belichik coaches – NO WAY the Pats dont make the playoffs
    (“No days off!!”)

17. meet2x4 says:
    All this show is is a distraction to the team that’s starring in it.
    ==

When a team voluntarily brings in Antonio Brown, Vontaze Burfict and Richie Incognito — all in the same offseason — its practically begging for distractions. No sympathy here.

18. firerogergoodellnow says:
    June 11, 2019 at 7:00 pm
    +++++++++++++

19. Mayock looks like he has aged 15 years since he has taken the job in crazytown !

=============

Funny, I think he’s been looking pretty relaxed, confident and enjoying himself and the pretty talented (on paper, anyway) roster he’s helped to reload.

20. Also, for the “popcorn” crowd, I doubt very much this will be any different than any other Hard Knocks program.

AB has been all business since showing up but even so, wouldn’t put it past him to land in Napa in a Harrier jet or something. Outside of that, I wouldn’t get my hopes up, fans of other teams.

21. “Ready to watch meathead Incognito throwing weights at people.”

People will give him standing ovations from their living rooms.

22. “No teams wanted to do Hard Knocks this year, but NFL rules allow the league to force a team to.”

What a load of crap!

NFL is a joke.

23. patfanken says:
    June 11, 2019 at 7:40 pm
    ___________________________________________

I don’t think its just them making the decision. There have been lots of great seasons of hard knocks. Last years was awesome. the jets and dolphins each had entertaining years.

in this case though the decision was obvious, i’m sure hbo was begging for the raiders.

24. Wow you know it’s the off-season when you want to watch that, which I do.
    I kinda really do….
    Free HBO trial here I come
    -Miami fan

25. lemme see, A pathetic, goofy owner with a terrible haircut, a loud, obnoxious know-it-all who hasn’t coached in 12 years, with a team that they’re moving from Oakland to the sleaziest, most god awful city in the U.S. Am I going to watch that hot mess?
    Yeah.

26. Burfect and Incognito. Can’t wait for this train wreck. They are either gonna win a Superbowl, or someone is gonna be in ICU.

27. The NFL loves to screw over the Raiders any time it can. The NFL provides them with the leagues toughest schedule (by far) and makes them miss six weeks at home. Al’s turning over in his grave.

28. The last year in Oakland should be documented. Still an absolute disgrace that the Raiders have crapped on their fan base for the SECOND time.

29. Goodell would never allow that to happen to the Pedriots. Him and Kraft are too close. Like massage parlour close.
    ______________________________

Except they have the 6 super bowl specials plus belichick allowed nfl films to follow the pats all season long in 2009. Can’t think of a single team that’s given the nfl more access over the last two decades despite the feud goddell and the other owners have with them

30. Belichick has been in 6 different behind the scenes videos showing their SB winning seasons. I’m sure you can find them on YouTube right now.
    ========================

I’ll bet they all aired after the season concluded.

A Patriots Hard knocks would show coaches meetings where they review footage of the opponents camps, Eddleman getting “treatment” by having injections into his buttocks, and a gaggle of Asian massage “consultants” meeting with the owner.

31. If I was a coach or a player on the bubble the last thing I would want was to be on Hard Knocks but as a fan I love it. Should be good with Chuckie in the hood.

32. Gruden would get much more exposure if he runs for president. Think about it. He hires all the best people, he can talk all the nonsense he wants, and everything is always about him. It’s the perfect job for Chucky

33. I’ve never seen a coach having the media eating out of his hand the way Jon Gruden does. The fans love this guy. He’s like a rock star. The media tries to rip him apart and the fans love him even more. That’s part of the reason the media is so jealous of him. He’s been making all these roster moves so that the NFL will put them on Hard Knox for free advertising. He’s worth way more than $10 million a year.

34. 315judman says:
    June 12, 2019 at 5:51 am
    ========================

I’ll bet they all aired after the season concluded.

=============

All consensual, of course…………

35. I agree that the Raiders are the clear and obvious choice. However the rules for picking only non playoff off teams is ridiculous. Let’s see how the successful teams prepare for the season. All teams get equal share of the show revenue but some don’t have to participate. Nah, let’s see the playoff teams

36. The NFL provides them with the leagues toughest schedule (by far) and makes them miss six weeks at home.
    ——————————————
    Of course they have the toughest schedule, the NFL can’t schedule them to play the Bills, Jets, Bucs, Cards, Giants, and Raiders every week.

37. Yeah right they didn’t want to do it. Gruden and Mayock are TV guys. This is the first season of Hard Knocks anyone (other than subject team’s fans) has cared about in years.

38. vaphinfan says:
    June 11, 2019 at 8:41 pm
    firerogergoodellnow says:
    June 11, 2019 at 7:00 pm
    +++++++++++++

—————

“Him and Kraft”? I hope English is not your first language…as a fellow Dolphins fan I find your misguided hatred of all things Patriots an embarrassment. You should focus more on our own team and demand some competence from our ownership. We can only wish we had a guy like Robert Kraft as an owner.

39. Told you that Las Vegas stadium was fool’s gold. Yeah Mark Davis gets the stadium but now he has to wear a skirt and high heels and bend over for The NFL at their beckoning.

The late great legendary Al Davis wouldn’t have ever put his organization in that situation.

40. mojoman46 says:
    June 12, 2019 at 4:31 am

———–
    do some research, it was the oakland mayor that crapped on the raiders new stadium forcing them to leave.

41. This is going to be exciting! As a Raiders fan, this was a no-brainer for the NFL and HBO. Gruden, Mark Davis, Mike Mayock, Carr’s issues with the media, Carr and AB’s relationship, AB coming to town, how will the new expensive OL gel?, where are the sacks coming from?, Burfict and AB on the same team, and so much more!

42. I can’t wait to see Ryan Grigson making Starbucks runs for the coaching staff and front office.

43. Let’s see, Chuckie, Incognito, Antonio and Vontaze. This Raiders team was MADE for reality tv. The NFL is really salivating over picking the Raiders. I bet ratings will be through the roof.