Vikings will add Steve Jordan to the team’s Ring of Honor

Getty Images

It’s been a very good week for the Jordan family.

On Tuesday, news emerged that Saints defensive end Cam Jordan has signed a new contract. On Wednesday, the Vikings announced that Cam’s dad will join the team’s Ring of Honor.

Former tight end Steve Jordan was invited to speak to the team. Vikings COO Kevin Warren then surprised Jordan with the news that, on Thursday, October 24, Jordan will join the other Vikings’ all-time greats.

“Steve Jordan’s impact on the Vikings has carried on past his career on the field,” Vikings Owner/President Mark Wilf said. “As great a player as Steve was, he’s just as great an ambassador for the Vikings and the game of football. He is a positive role model to young players about the value of education and using your platform as an NFL star for good.”

Jordan ranks third in team history with receptions. His 498 catches trail only Hall of Famers Cris Carter (1,004) and Randy Moss (587).

Jordan is sixth in team history with 6,307 receiving yards, and his 149 career starts rank fourth in franchise history among offensive skill players, trailing only Carter (188), Jim Kleinsasser (181), and Bill Brown (180).

28 responses to “Vikings will add Steve Jordan to the team’s Ring of Honor

1. Well deserved! It’s amazing the talent this team has had over the years with this guy, Moss, Carter, AP, etc. yet never put it all together. Just demonstrates how important a good QB is.

2. Very good TE and I congratulate him on receiving this honor.

It brings back memories of me as a kid, making a strong case I might add, that Paul Coffman was actually the superior TE.

Jordan has better stats as far as catches and yards for their careers, but if I’m taking TE’s from that era I take Coffman all day and 3 times on Sunday. More heart, toughness, and grit for one. Some of you are too young(one troll) to remember much about either so please save the ignorant comments for someone else. You won’t get my attention.

Congrats Steve Jordan!

GoPackGo!🏈

3. tylawspick6 says:
    June 12, 2019 at 10:35 am
    Sort of a desperate moe.

Good lord.
    ——————————

Yes a Patriot troll looking for attention on a Viking thread about Steve Jordan does seem desperate.

4. tylawspick6 says:
    June 12, 2019 at 10:35 am
    Sort of a desperate moe. He was a good player, but not great enough to be in a ring of honor.

Good lord

@@@@@&&&&&@@@@@

Steve Nelson, pats retired his number……Good Lord
    I’ll give him a little slack, because he is a Minnesota boy, Anoka

5. Free: cant just say a good honor for him and move on huh? You just have to say Coffman was better(he isnt).

You have a lot of nerve talking about ignorant comments and trolls, when you were caught red handed posting as a Vikings fan and forgetting to change your screen name.

6. @tylawspick6 says:
    June 12, 2019 at 10:35 am

Good lord.
    ===========================================
    You must be living a horrible existence. Rarely do you have anything positive to post about anyone other than a Patriot player.

7. freefromwhatyouare says:
    June 12, 2019 at 10:50 am
    Very good TE and I congratulate him on receiving this honor.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Brought to you by the king of trolls, freefromemojis. Paul Coffman? Why would the Vikings put him in the ring of honor? he played one season 1988 for the Vikings. Learn your football.

8. The years from 1985 through 1992, Steve Jordan was awesome for the Vikings. Although the 1986 OT loss to the Redskins still haunts me, he was all over the field. Great player and well deserved.

9. Steve is a very humble family man and successful businessman. He once got me a ticket for MNF game in Philly, on the same day I requested it through his brother-in-law. Then he met me after the game and had me on the team bus. Then after his playing days, we met again and had dinner with our families. He played in an era where not many TEs were involved in the passing game.

10. I met Mr Jordan in Nashville, and he was class all the way, as well as an excellent receiver for the Vikes. If they could have balanced their offence more, and ran the ball, especially with Hershel Walker, they might have made more noise in the postseason. That championship game loss in 87 was really tough.

11. Packer fan here, but I grew up in the 80’s and those Vikings teams did have some really good players that were fun to watch. Jordan is up there for sure. I also liked Anthony Carter, Hassan Jones, Joey Browner, Chris Doleman, and Jesse Solomon. Hated Keith Millard. That guy and his gap-toothed face was always begging to get punched.

12. Thinker(you’re not, evidently) a simple search of his wik page states that Steve Jordan is his father.

Reading comprehension must not be your strong suit.

13. Paul Coffman was a fine tight end but his peak years came before Jordan’s peak years. Coffman was better when Coffman was good and Jordan was better when Jordan was good. The reason I think Jordan was better is because the Vikings won a lot of games when he was playing, while the Packers were a complete joke when Coffman was playing.

14. AutonomousThinker7 says:

June 12, 2019 at 11:46 am

You all should do your homework a little more. He’s Cams great uncle, not his father

@@@@@@@@@@@@

There is this tool called a search engine, Google has a great one. Type in, who is Cam Jordan’s father lo and behold. Steve Jordan of the Minnesota Vikings is Cams dad. I did my homework, do I get an A?

15. One of my favorite players as a young Vikings fan. A super-smart guy and great role model as well. Graduated from an Ivy League school (Brown) with a degree in electrical engineering.

16. at my first or second nfl game ever, vikings@patriots (back when pats tickets could be plucked out of any nearby garbage can on the way to foxboro in the early 90s), steve jordan fumbled away the game. it was too early in my viking fandom days to realize i was being groomed for years of viking letdowns.

17. The Packers were 14-5 vs. the Vikings in the 1980’s. The games between Jordan and Coffman were games during part of that decade.

Both were great players. Coffman was just the better player overall. If you watched the NFL closely 35 years ago, which you didn’t, you would know this isn’t up for debate.

#GoPackGo!🏈