Eagles will open one training camp practice to public

AP

The Bills aren’t the only team cutting the number of public training camp practices they’ll hold this summer.

The Eagles will hold one practice open to the public at Lincoln Financial Field this summer. The only other access to training camp practices held at the team’s NovaCare Complex will be for invited guests only.

Per Tim McManus of ESPN.com. fans interested in attending the open practice will have to pay $5-10 as an entrance fee. The proceeeds from those sales will go to the Eagles’ fundraising efforts for autism research.

The number of Eagles practices open to the public have dropped steadily since the team switched from holding camp at Lehigh University to their own facility.

53 responses to “Eagles will open one training camp practice to public

1. This seems like a stupid move. What does it hurt giving the fans, particularly the kids, a chance to watch their players. The Bill’s training camps are a great sport to get autographs and actually talk to a player, I’m sure it’s the same everywhere.
    Short-sighted move!

2. Dang just 1 eagles? KC has a ton of a TC practices open to the public. Just costs $5 to park outside of the “special event days”. Great experience for kids and fans.

3. they say the game is for the fans . but at every turn pushing them away . TC is suppose to be a way for the working man to take his kids to see the home team with out breaking the bank. Thumbs Down Philly.

4. I remember when the Eagles held training camp at Lehigh. All practices were open and free, radio stations would broadcast live, they would have autograph sessions, and the whole thing just seemed right. I’m not a big Eagles fan, but I lived in the area at the time and would always go up once a year just to make a day of it.

I realize those days are gone all over the league, but it seems strange to me that teams would make what appears to be such a retrograde move to make themselves less open to fans and their money. It is certainly more proof that the NFL can do literally whatever it wants to do to their fans and the fans will just take it and beg for more.

5. I used to go to the Vikings training camp every year when they held open practices in Mankato, MN. It was a blast, and I used to take my son with me. Fans got a chance to see the players up close, watch the practices, and get a glimpse of who was doing well and who was struggling. It was a great way to spend a day, and it was really cheap, too. I feel sorry for the Eagle fans, because training camp should be an opportunity for fans to bond with the team.

6. This is actually a really smart move by the Eagles. They are a team on a decline. That decline will only accelerate a squandering a fortune in cap space on a injury prone quarterback. It therefore makes a lot sense to close the practices and conceal the rot. I could be wrong, but I see Haskins, Guice, the Bama Boys on D, and the Redskins as the ascending power in that division.

7. Definitely miss Lehigh. The NFL is getting more and more private, and less and less accessible to the public. Lehigh was great. Youd bump into random players all over the place and they would act like normal people.

8. v2787 says:
    June 18, 2019 at 10:50 am

I used to go to the Vikings training camp every year when they held open practices in Mankato, MN. It was a blast, and I used to take my son with me. >>>Fans got a chance to see the players up close, watch the practices, and get a glimpse of who was doing well and who was struggling.<<<……

………………………..

And rival scouts too !

9. $5-10 as an entrance fee. The proceeeds from those sales will go to the Eagles’ fundraising efforts for autism research.

Sure… Sure… Right.

10. @firstdownbrowns says:
    June 18, 2019 at 10:31 am
    ==========================================
    And all these years I thought a working man went to work and training camp was for NFL teams to prepare for the new season. You can still take a day off and take your kids.

11. 1 open day. The others are fro invited guest, which include many people who everyone is playing a violin for- autistic folks, impoverished youth, high school football teams. And probably at no charge and with special programs built in that can be planned becasue you know who is coming and when.

If at first, second, third, or fourth your hate doesn’t succeed in making the Eagles a bad organization, try try again!

12. The ramifications of social media. Can’t just be letting everyone watch your whole training camp anymore. May as well broadcast you’re scheme to the whole league, or you can’t really practice it.

13. @firstdownbrowns says:
    June 18, 2019 at 10:31 am
    ===================================================
    After all these years I thought a working man goes to work and TC was for the team to prepare for the upcoming season! You still have a chance to attend one practive! Don’t miss it…

14. v2787 says:
    June 18, 2019 at 10:50 am
    ————————————————————–
    Agree with this. My friends and our kids and I went to our first ever training camp last year at the Vikings new facility in Eagan and it was a fun all-day event. There’s tons to do, there’s a whole practice field set up with activities for kids, food and drinks and beer sold at reasonable prices, two practices, autograph signings. I was pretty surprised to hear some teams don’t even allow fans to training camp. I sure hope this doesn’t trend over to Minnesota. This is an event my friends and I look forward to and we went to two last year.

15. In my opinion this is a bad move by what is normally a pretty smart organization. Training Camp endures the working class fan base to the team, as a family with say 3 or 4 young children most likely won’t pay $600 – $1,000 to go to a game. But if those kids go to the team’s training camp for a day of summer break, they have fun and remember that experience they will become life time fans of the team. Thereby watching most games on TV, thereby increasing ratings for the NFL, thereby increasing the value of television rights. Also those are the fans that buy the teams paraphernalia, like jerseys, tshirts, hats, sweatshirts, team logo footballs, etc. etc. etc. This in turn increases the NFL licensing value and allows the NFL to make more money. As an example Nike paid the NFL $1.1 BILLION to officially license NFL merchandise – and that was for the 2011 season.

I think training camp is critical to increase the teams’ and the overall NFL engagement with the fans, in order for the NFL to continue to increase in team and overall value. The NFL should get involved and make it mandatory to have at least 3 open to the fan training camp days, and if the teams want to raise money for charity they can do so by charging parking fees. That at least would allow someone to bring a large family of younger kids or bring along some friends, while not forcing the family to break the bank to watch a team practice.

16. jlbay says: “I think training camp is critical to increase the teams’ and the overall NFL engagement with the fans, in order for the NFL to continue to increase in team and overall value.”
    ====================

Training camp was useful pre-internet days as fans were starved of team news. Now we get 20-30 articles A DAY about each team online (local, PFT, ESPN, etc.)

17. They’re getting their excuses ready for when they lose to the Cowboys and Patriots this season. Wentz will be lucky to play even half a season.

18. tylawspick6 says:
    June 18, 2019 at 10:57 am
    Wow. Thet’yve never had this down in Smellyville? Mickey Mouse franchise.
    _______________________________________________________________

19. It is prohobited for scouts from other teams to attend training camp sessions open to the public at no charge. Howver, once admission is charged the scouts are welcome to attend. So this isn’t all that smart.

20. The elitism of professional sports Will catch up with them sooner than later. The average fan can no longer afford to go to a game and now Has been excluded from Summer camp.

21. Lehigh was the best. I miss it every summer. It was a way for fans to get ready for the new season too.
    —————————————————————————————————

Can’t agree more. It was a great day trip! Pack food and drink, a good beach chair and sit on the hill! It was great time in the 80’s and even the 90’s.

22. In the world champion New England Patriots will again have almost all of their practices before preseason open to the public. Parking is free. You can even catch inter-squad scrimmages some years. We have even more fun than Lame Johnson.

23. I used to go to Eagles training camp at West Chester a lot when I was a kid. Got pretty close to Harold Carmichael. He was the biggest (tallest) guy I had ever seen in person.

24. akira1971 says:

===============================================================

That is true for adults and kids who are already fans, but to endear the next generations – kids 3 to 12 – this is still a huge draw. Baseball forgot about gaining the youth fan base and it is still struggling. Also the NBA went through the same problem the post-Stern days, it has reversed the leagues fortunes but that is because the game and promotion started to trend toward both the established fan base but also generating a youth following. I don’t think there are many families that are going to take kids 3 – 9 years old to a game because of the cost, but they would take them to training camp, the kids fall in love with the team and then when they are 12 years old they ask to go to a game for their birthday present, etc.

25. jurgyisgod says:

June 18, 2019 at 10:53 am

13 100 Rate This

————————————

Redskins the team on the rise? Well I guess that’s true considering how bad they are every year. When you hit bottom there is where to go but up. More realistically your team will remain in the gutter especially when your best players want out.

26. Josh Alper….the Bills are holding joint practices in Carolina with the Panthers. That’s why it seems like there are less practices !

27. flashdeath says: “The elitism of professional sports Will catch up with them sooner than later. The average fan can no longer afford to go to a game and now Has been excluded from Summer camp.”
    —————-

Oh, please. Even when training camps was free in the 70’s and 80’s, the crowds were barely over 500-2,000. Stop making it sound like these were packed attractions for the poor fans.

As for “elitism” junk – most NFL cities have MILLIONS of fans with only 75,000 game day tickets. The MAJORITY of fans were already watching on tv long before being priced out. Selling tickets for cheap still means 98% of fans wouldn’t be able to get game tickets and the bulk of profits will just go to scalpers. No thank you.

28. Another NFL team should hire someone to fly some drones over the field on the “closed” practice days. Just to mess with ’em.

29. I Used to go to West Chester with my dad watching Carmichael Montgomery Jaws Bergy Sizemore then Lehigh as an Adult Dawkins McNabb Westbrook Trey Tomas Ike Reese then to the Linc for the last 6 years when Chip held the first practice there, now thanks Eagles for cutting my grandson dreams of seeing you guys up and personal because its the only time he had a chance to be excited!! Now all I need to do is cut my losses and stop paying high tickets prices to come see you guys play!!
    Class act organization huh! Right!

30. akira1971 says:
    June 18, 2019 at 3:58 pm

————–

Sorry but where the Eagles are concerned your numbers are way off. In 2017 the Broncos bragged about attracting 6,000+ fans to a training camp practice. At the same time the eagles drew 20,000 to a day of training camp at the Linc. The Eagles would routinely draw 10,000 to 15,000 at Lehigh, which was an hour and a half drive from Philly. That was during the Andy Reid era, not some ancient history in the 70s or 80s like you claim. They recently drew 15,000 fans to a charity softball game. So yes eagles training camp is indeed a “packed attraction” and has been for a long time. Losing Lehigh was a real bummer.

31. A Mickey Mouse franchise that beat your Patsies for the Lombardi. Still can’t get over it, huh?
    ————————-
    Oh, we are over those free TD’s that gave the Eagles their one and only Super Bowl!! Winning Six Super Bowls does that!!!
    Enjoy your one and only, LOL!

32. FootballSeasonRules says:
    June 18, 2019 at 12:53 pm
    =======================================================
    You will be lucky if he doesn’t. He will have a great season.

33. I’ve had my PFT User Name for several years. So i can tell you from experience how great it was to have the Eagles at Lehigh. On one Wide Receiver autograph day, 25,000 showed up to try and get T.O.’s autograph. And one day I actually was on a field with T.O. and an assistant, while T.O. ran routes. Unfortunately within one hour of that, T.O. was sent home. I thought the Eagles could have won the Super Bowl with him that year. Anyway, Lehigh and the Eagles together were very memorable!!!!!

34. These open practices are boring, a logistics nightmare, the coaches hate them, and take away from the work the players need to put in during limited training camp. The Eagles unlike other teams have a waiting list of over 40,000 fans for season tickets and there are other ways to watch them like on their website. 100% of the $10 charge goes to charity so let the jealousy from other franchise fans abound, we know what we are doing!