Ron Rivera: Cam Newton’s timing with receivers a “work in progress”

AP

The Panthers cleared one hurdle with quarterback Cam Newton as the offseason program came to an end when they had him on the field throwing passes during minicamp.

Newton spent much of the offseason rehabbing after shoulder surgery and focusing on tweaks to his mechanics that are designed to avoid further medical issues, so those throws represented a big step for Newton. There are others to take once the team gets to training camp.

As head coach Ron Rivera noted at the end of the offseason program, Newton and his receivers didn’t have much time to work together this spring and that means their chemistry will still need some attention.

“[Timing] is always a work in progress, and that’s kind of what happens when you don’t go through a spring,” Rivera said, via Joseph Person of TheAthletic.com. “But again, he’s had a good offseason. He’s done everything the trainers and doctors have asked of him, and he’s still got a little bit more work to go over the next 4 1/2, 5 weeks.”

Newton has held pre-camp throwing sessions with receivers in past seasons, but it’s unclear if the plan to make sure his shoulder is well will include such work this time around.

45 responses to “Ron Rivera: Cam Newton’s timing with receivers a “work in progress”

1. No one “tweaks” their mechanics 10 years in if they’re considered to have been successful, especially a QB. Soon it will be Rivera or Newto and I’m going with the first.

2. I don’t wish any harm to Newton. I hope he recovers fully from his surgery. However, I’m not at all sure that he’s physically capable of playing at the level Carolina wants or needs from him, at least any time soon. The season starts in 2 1/2 months. It will be interesting to see how he performs when the games count.

3. He never had timing! NFL.com last summer rated him the league’s most inconsistent passer.

4. 10feethigher says:
    No one “tweaks” their mechanics 10 years in if they’re considered to have been successful…
    ————
    During his playoff bye-week this Jan, Brady spent time with QB passing guru Tom House.

5. Cam’s too busy coordinating 16 sets of hideous hats and garish suits for post-game pressers to bother with working on timing with the receiver corps.

6. More importantly, is he recovered enough to do his superman poses every 2 minutes like usual?

7. roltUrist says:
    June 18, 2019 at 9:59 am
    Why do people hate Cam?
    —-

8. Don’t hate, just don’t like the “Look at me” show boating for someone who hasn’t really earned it. The DAB, Superman, the clothes….. Looks kind of dumb when you aren’t exceptional.

———–
    Heisman trophey, NFL MVP, Super Bowl appearance…..I think he has earned it. I’m not a big fan of the show boating either but nobody seems to have issues when other players do it.

9. Most people online are familiar with “Godwin’s Law” which states that if any online debate goes on for long enough, somebody will eventually be compared to Hitler.

We should also add “Cam’s Law” which states that any PFT thread about Cam Newton will feature somebody mentioning his failure to recover that fumble in the Super Bowl.

10. drunkencat1 says:
    June 18, 2019 at 10:11 am

———–

—–
    He’s had more bad years than exceptional years. The show boating continued in the bad years.
    I don’t like any player doing it (jumping in the Salvation Army kettle, making believe you are a dog).

11. Really? Cam Newton needs time to click with his WR’s??? I thought only Aaron Rodgers needed time to get on the same page with his receivers.

12. His “mechanics” are running around and occasionally making an accurate pass, which is why he keeps getting injured and nothing is going to change that now. He is just going to be hurt more often because he refuses to change tactics.

13. It’s definitely a make-or-break year for Newton. If he stays healthy, the Panthers are a strong playoff contender (it seems that few who don’t follow the Panthers closely realize that Cam was playing some of the best ball of his career before injuring the shoulder during the debacle against Pittsburgh). If the shoulder gives out again, it very possibly means that the team will have to strongly consider Grier as the QB of the future.

Now, it would be nice if NFL officials applied the same QB protection rules to Cam as they do towards QBs in the rest of the league. But that might be too much to wish for.

14. Make or break year for Cam? Hello, he has already made it. And such hate on this board, dude can’t have a fashion hobby? You guys need a life.

15. danimal1974 says:
    June 18, 2019 at 10:24 am

______________________________________________

Exactly! And it’s the same for a few other players…
    Flacco–Jumpball Joe
    McNabb–Puking
    Ray Lewis–murderer
    All the great things these guys have done in their careers and all you hear about is one baseless comment from clueless posterd. But God forbid you mention anything negative about the Patriots!!
    Belichick–mastermind cheater
    Brady–cheater who learns from the best and destroys cell phone
    Hernandez–CONVICTED murderer
    Edleman–cheater who actually own up to it, I guess he still has some learning to do
    Kraft–need I say more?

16. Not a fan of Newton, but to ignore his growth as a pocket passer is a mistake. Dude made significant gains in completion percentage, and yards per pass.

Old Norv Turner taught him some new tricks,and another year in this system might make the doubters cry.

17. I initially read that title as

Cam Newton’s timing with receivers a “wreck in progress”

18. He’s all done as a quality QB. To many hits. Is he going to make decisions sooner? Think not.

19. “A high 5 among team mates for team mates works for me. Showing off to the crowd doesn’t.”

I’m sure you yell at kids to get off your lawn as well.

20. doctorpancake says:
    June 18, 2019 at 12:15 pm

I’m sure you yell at kids to get off your lawn as well.

————————————————————————————–
    That “get off the lawn comment” is one the most asinine things people say — and it’s usually a slam against elderly people.
    I’ve worked hard all my life to have a nice, neat home. It’s not big, it’s not fancy, and it has a medium sized lawn which I spent two weeks when I moved in killing my back as I cleared big rocks and stones from it, then raking it all out and sifting more rocks out as well as leveling it, then finally planting seed and putting straw over it to get it to come in. I keep it neat for two reasons, one because it gives me satisfaction, and two, because I think it’s only fair to do that for my neighbors.
    So — if a kid or kids walk on my lawn, no problem. But if they or anyone else starts using it for a shortcut to get to the homes behind me, I have a problem with that. I wouldn’t do that to anyone else, and I don’t want anyone doing it to me.
    So — if you’re ever in my neighborhood, stay off my lawn.

21. “and it’s usually a slam against elderly people.”

No, it’s a slam against people who are too stubborn in their antiquated ways of thinking. The type of person who would rather Cam hand the ball to the ref after he scores a touchdown, than give it to a child in the stands and give that child a life-long memory. Cam has fun playing football. People who get upset that he enjoys his job and sport need to get a life.

22. doctorpancake says:
    June 18, 2019 at 12:15 pm

I’m sure you yell at kids to get off your lawn as well.

are you asking people to run on your lawn , I accept your request

23. doctorpancake says:
    June 18, 2019 at 1:18 pm
    ==

You couldn’t have missed the point by any more if you tried, although as a Panthers fan you’re understandably defensive.
    I’ll admit I’m an old-school guy who hates excessive showboating by any player. But my problem with Cam Newton isn’t him having fun, it’s the hypocrisy.
    If you’re going to dab, and strut, and do Superman poses whenever you do the tiniest little thing right — not to mention the “look-at-me” clothes and hats — then be a man and stand up to the heat when you screw up.
    When things aren’t going his or the Panthers’ way he sits on the bench and pouts with a towel over his head. He walks out of press conferences when the questions are tough. He wants the attention when he celebrates, but he gets defensive whenever he hears the slightest fair criticism.
    The ultimate idiocy was him celebrating a first down while the clock was running out with his team behind late in game. And yes, he’ll always be remembered for the fumble he didn’t even try to recover.
    If he wants people to look at him when it suits him then he’d better get used to people looking at him for answers when things aren’t going well. Otherwise, he just comes across as a spoiled child, not the QB and leader of an NFL team. You can’t have it both ways.

24. “focusing on tweaks to his mechanics that are designed to avoid further medical issues”

He needs to run only when he has to, take advantage of his offensive line to protect him, slide or step out of bounds to avoid big hits.
    I don’t see these as “mechanics,” just smart football in a quarterback-driven league.

25. “His “mechanics” are running around and occasionally making an accurate pass, which is why he keeps getting injured and nothing is going to change that now. He is just going to be hurt more often because he refuses to change tactics.”

Keeps getting injured? He’s missed 3 games in 8 seasons. And the hardest hits he’s taken are when he’s in the pocket, not when he’s scrambling. Some people are so clueless.

26. I would just like to see one of his own teammates punch him in the face the next time he does something stupid. So during week 1, by the end of the 1st quarter, somebody on the Panthers put this guy in his place. He needs a reality check and some humble pie.

27. Cam put together a great year and earned an MVP. He also lost almost all respect he earned from it by jumping back from a football he could have dove on in that same Super Bowl.

He hot dogs it in every single game. Nothing wrong with having fun but everything he does on the field screams look at me. Even handing his teammates TD balls to kids in the stands. I am fine with celebrating big moments on the field and even TD but not a whole dance and mock towards the other team for 1st downs. The dislike is well earned.

28. Cam’s mechanics during his first 7 years was a product of poor coaching. Dorsey was the QB coach. When paired with Norv, he showed improvement with completion % & decision making. Injuries & sacks have held him back due to a weak line every year. As far as the fumble, I don’t think any of the CAM haters would nor could have recovered the ball either….it is in the past. Cam’s best receiver in 2015 was Ted Guinn…Cam transcended that also. Time to move on…Panthers will bounce back strong especially when doubted. #KeepPounding #CamHateDoesNotHelp

29. danimal1974 says:
    June 18, 2019 at 10:24 am

———–

Failure to recover a fumble is fine. Fleeing it like it’s an angry hornets’ nest is an entirely different thing