Daniel Jones: I’m not paying attention to boos

AP

The immediate reaction to the Giants’ decision to select quarterback Daniel Jones with the sixth overall pick in this year’s draft was not a positive one and things haven’t really eased up over the last two months.

A prime example of that came in the Bronx on Monday night when Jones’s appearance on the video board at Yankee Stadium was met with boos from those at the game. Jones appeared as a guest on The Rich Eisen Show on Tuesday and the public reaction to him was one of the topics of discussion.

Jones said he’s had a lot of people bring that reaction up to him, but that he doesn’t plan to “internalize it” or spend much time thinking about it at all.

“I certainly don’t pay a whole lot of attention to it,” Jones said. “You’re aware of it. I’m focused on what we’re doing here and focused on trying to practice as well as I could these past six weeks and show some progress over these six weeks.”

Giants head coach Pat Shurmur’s final comments of the offseason program seemed to keep the door open for Jones to do enough to wind up as the starter this year, but Jones said he hasn’t specifically been told he can be the starter as a rookie. He did say that “everyone on our team is trying to prove” they deserve a spot in the lineup regardless of what outside noise is accompanying that effort.

57 responses to “Daniel Jones: I’m not paying attention to boos

1. Good for him, because McNabb never got over it and still cries about it to this day

2. Classless act by those fans who booed this kid. If I were him and I ended up being a good NFL starter down the road, my autograph would be as rare as former NBA great Bill Russell’s is.
    Russell has always refused to sign autographs. If you can find one of his and have it authenticated, hold onto it. He won’t tell the exact reason why he always refused to sign autographs, but apparently it was because of an incident that happened when he first got to Boston, which was a notoriously racist city in the late 50’s. Russell was so adamant about it, he even refused to sign jerseys for his teammate’s kids.
    I remember Paul Newman — the great actor — was asked why he refused to sign autographs and he said it was because one time he was at an airport and had to use the men’s room. He was standing there doing his thing and some guy came right up to him with his maybe 12 year old kid, held a piece of paper in front of Newman’s face and said, “would you sign this for my son?” Newman said he just glared at the guy, turned away, washed up, got out of there and never signed another autograph again.
    Back to Daniel Jones. I hope this kid proves everyone wrong and has a very good career, even though I am not a Giants fan. How can you not root for the kid?

3. They’d rather see a career 84.1 passer-rated QB who defrauds fans with faked merchandise.

4. I don’t blame the fans. They only know what they hear from the media. I don’t blame the media. They only know what they hear from their inside sources. A lot of those inside sources had Ryan Leaf rated ahead of Peyton Manning, and RGIII rated ahead of Andrew Luck. Those same guys all passed up Tom Brady 5 or 6 times when they had an opportunity to draft him. So give the fans a break. They have no idea what they’re booing about. It’s not their fault.

5. To be fair, they weren’t really booing him per se, they were booing Gettleman and his decision to take Jones at 6. As soon as he strings a few wins together, they’ll cheer for him.

6. Like the poster above me, I feel bad for the kid. He did absolutely nothing in the story to deserve this treatment. If you want to boo Gettleman go ahead. It’s his decision you’re angry with. But don’t take it out on this player. Quarterbacks especially need confidence. If these fans aren’t careful, they will create a self fulfilling prophecy. Like it or not he’s on your team, how about give him some support and give him a chance

7. New York fans booed Kristaps Porzingas.

They watch only 15 minutes of ESPN highlights of a player and already think they’re smarter than the dozens of professional scouts/GM that spend 100s of hours researching players.

8. Cartainly, the one thing you worry about with a young QB is how he handles himself. This kid says and does everything right, and deflects all the attention. He certainly has the perfect mental make up to be a QB in NY. Hoping to see his play back it up as well.

9. I hope he has a terrible camp and bad playing time in real games and they trade him to a division rival like the Redskins. Then I hope he completely destroys the Giants and their lousy moronic fans and turns into a HOFer.

10. I hope he succeeds. NY fans are the worst.

I once went to a Yankees/Twins playoff game, and a family of four with two kids walked into the section near me with Twins jerseys on, and the fans around them surrounded and chanted unprintable things until the kids cried and they were escorted out. The fans cheered and high-5’d their work.

11. Booing the kid makes no sense. He didn’t pick himself, he was drafted. The fans in the i95 corridor don’t appear to have a high capacity for intelligence. Reminds me of when the philthy fans booed McNabb on draft day.

12. Giants fans love Eli for his SB wins and apparently want him to hang around another 5 years on some kind of extended retirement tour, but I don’t understand why they didn’t have the same undying affection for Tom Coughlin.

13. Jones deserves a break.He didn’t draft himself.The dissatisfaction should be aimed at Gettleman.What he did is as bad as McDermott in Buffalo,benching the QB who took them to the playoffs for the 1st time since the Bush administration for Peterman.

Peterman was terrible,but it wasn’t his call. He did his best. His best was just not good enough for the NFL, but he still draws a check. It’s about leadership or lack there of.

14. He didn’t draft himself. He’s not responsible for when he was picked. The Giant fans need to welcome him with open arms, because that’s who their team picked and nothing will change it.

15. It’s a shame, he hasn’t played a snap in the NFL & the treatment he is getting. Give him a fair chance, nothing like getting into his head before he even plays.

16. As an Eagles fan I can tell you that 20 idiots booed McNabb at the draft and he never got over it. Most of the fans in Philly embraced him fairly quickly, but he never saw it that way.

17. My comment posted before I was finished….my best advice to Giants fans, ease up on the kid and give him time. Its not his fault the Giants drafted him too early. If you want to boo and blame someone, blame your GM for drafting him and just let the kid play and earn his keep. Don’t make it that much harder on him to begin with.

18. TruthfulDolphinsFanNotWearingBlinders says:
    June 19, 2019 at 9:22 am

tylawspick6 says:
    June 19, 2019 at 9:02 am
    He’s the next Brady

Possibly, either Peter or Bobby.
    ——-
    Has to be Peter. He threw the football that broke Marsha’s nose.

19. Seems like a good kid. Was a good college qb. May well be a great nfl starter.

Selecting him at #6 deserved boos from anyone who is both (a) a giants fan, AND (b) whatsoever knowledgeable about the NFL draft.

20. I watched the pro days of the top 5 QBs this year…and Jones was easily the most impressive with his accuracy and deep balls. He reminds me of Brees… But…a pro day isn’t game situations…so we’ll see.

21. It really was a bad bad pick. There is no denying that. This guy was the 8th ranked quarterback last year … IN THE ACC. And, at best, given his weak arm, he will be nothing more than a game manager in the NFL. Plus, to compound the problem (a) Haskins has elite arm talent will be a much better pro and (b) Jones would have easily been available for the Giants’ second pick. So, yeah, the Giants blew it. And it was fair game for their fans to boo on draft day. But, at this point, it is water over the damn. The pick is in. Accept it and give this guy a chance. And, he certainly doesn’t deserve to be booed.

22. Sounds like the kid has mental toughness. I wish he was available for the Patriots in the draft.

23. I really feel bad for New York Giants fans. The Giants are a very passionate supportive fan base who support that team and buy tickets through thick and thin , I believe they deserve much better. The current leadership in Giants head quarters is a mess, Gettlemen has drastically screwed up the QB situation reaching on Daniel freaking Jones who 95%+ of analysts and scouts who do analyze QB’s for a living had the guy ranked as a late 2nd to early 3rd round player. Pro Football Focus had Jones as the 65th best overall player in the draft on their big board I believe and they are excellent at scouting college QB’s. So what’s Gettlemen do? He takes him with the 6TH FREAKING PICK when he could of had him at 17 or even possibly traded up a couple spots ahead of the Skins if they feared they were going to take him which they were not due to Doug Williams and Doug Snyder. The Giants were the only squad in the entire league who had a grade that high on Jones. Or the Giants could of drafted an elite defensive player and then a guy like TE Noah Fant at 17 to pair up with Evan Engram giving them two dominant TE’s & then traded a 2nd round pick for Josh Rosen, who also is a much better more talented QB than Daniel Jones is w/ a far better arm. If Giants fans are honest they’d MUCH rather have Josh Rosen, OLB Josh Allen and TE Noah Fant rather than Daniel Jones and Dexter Lawerence.

I think Gettlemen felt compelled to over draft a QB after bungling the draft last year. Do not get me wrong, Saquon Barkley is an elite player but a RB/WR is not more valuable than a QB and Gettlemen knows he should of taken USC QB Sam Darnold, the Giants passing on Darnold is going to haunt that franchise forever. Bungling last years draft put so much pressure on Gettlemen that he over reached on Jones I believe. The Giants problem is Gettlemen, if Jones is a bust they need to fire that guy at the end of the year and replace him because the Giants have been going in the wrong direction ever since he was hired. I’d replace Pat Shumer to but being they just drafted a young QB who they have a lot invested they’re kind of married to Shurmer for atleast the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

24. The Dirty 30, a bunch of over-served yahoos associated with 610 in Philly, were bused to NYC from Philly for the draft. They booed the Eagles organization for not drafting Ricky Williams.

These NYC losers booed Daniel Jones the human who was just out trying to enjoy the game and become part of the city.

This is 100x worse unless you are a fanatic to the point of losing all capacity for rational thought.

25. raidernation210 says:
    June 19, 2019 at 7:44 am

————

Eagles fan here. You are 100% correct. And McNabb earned the majority of the boos he heard.

26. What else do you expect from classless NY fans? Remember, they mercilessly booed Porzingis when the Knicks drafted him and ruined what should have been the best night of his life. His whole family flew into the US for draft night and they were devastated by the reaction of the “home fans”. They haven’t even seen him play and are already booing Porzingis and Jones. Classless.

Just as Philly fans get scorn for booing Santa Claus, NY fans deserve all the mockery they get.

27. A big OMG here! No player, especially a rookie, should have to go through this!

My late dad was a Giants fan, and I’m sure he’s not too pleased with this nonsense while up in heaven (assuming he’s there of course).

28. akira1971 says:
    June 19, 2019 at 8:09 am
    New York fans booed Kristaps Porzingas.

______________________________________________________

OK let’s look at the nearly 70% BUST rate those scouts put up for QBs drafted in the 1st round from 2000-15 and I’ve convinced that I DO KNOW MORE THAN THEM, now if you think they know more than you with their paltry 30% success rate then so-be-it, they probably do!

29. ctchiefsfan25 says:
    June 19, 2019 at 8:51 am
    ______________________________________________

If he can’t handle this(the mental aspect) then he’ll never be able to handle all that being an NFL QB brings with it! BTW this is what these players chose, they wanted to be on the big stage and make the huge bucks and this is just a small part of what comes with it, if he can’t handle a few boos then his life as being a starting NFL QB will be very short!

30. I suspect that the main reason Daniel Jones was booed (and the pick was ripped for the most part on the internet) is that he played his college ball at Duke which is obviously not a traditional football power. You’ll recall that Bears fans did the same for Mitch Trubisky because they probably never saw him play at UNC and obviously had no idea how good he was.

31. The dude is taking a lot of heat. It’s not like he drafted himself in the first round.
    Let the kid play it all out before we start knocking em down. Same goes for Lamar Jackson

32. I’m torn here…

On one hand, I want Daniel Jones to be wildly successful and prove the obnoxious NY fans wrong. I want him to win mvp and yell to the Ny fans “who’s your daddy?!?!”

33. On the other hand, I hate NY fans and want them to suffer through many years of bad football.

===========

That’s why NY has the Jets…… Jets fans have suffered. A lot.

34. Steve Cunningham says:
    June 19, 2019 at 12:35 pm
    akira1971 says:
    June 19, 2019 at 8:09 am
    New York fans booed Kristaps Porzingas.

______________________________________________________

————————————————–

Dude it is not a conspiracy against Daniel Jones, the dude was not good in College and the product he put on the field was mediocre at best. Advanced analytics are as close to accurate in the scouting of players in modern football history and history tells us players who never post a PFF passing grade of 87.0+ or higher in college become draft bust the overwhelming majority of the time. On the other hand every QB who has posted a 87.0+ have a very solid track record of success in the NFL, those who post elite passing grades of 90.0+ have all became franchise QB’s, all but one in Marcus Mariota who is a solid starting QB who the Titans have misused having him run offenses that don’t suit his strengths. Daniel Jones highest PFF passing grade was just 80.3 last season which almost guarantees this kid is going to be a bust. The odds are against him, maybe he shocks us all but there is a reason the guy had a late 2nd to early 3rd round grade by every outlet out there with the most respected (PFF) ranking 65th on their top 250 big board.

35. They know they should’ve drafted Haskins. Anyway,New Yorkers will give it to you straight. They’re not always right,but they’re not afraid to be critical.