Clock ticks on NFL’s Sunday Ticket decision

Getty Images

The NFL’s arrangement with DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket will end after the 2019 season — but only if the NFL acts to end the relationship within the coming weeks.

According to John Ourand and Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, the NFL must decide whether to opt out of the Sunday Ticket deal early by early September. If the NFL doesn’t exercise its right to end the arrangement earlier before the regular season begins on September 5, the contract between the league and DirecTV will continue through 2022.

The challenge for the NFL is simple: Stay the course for $1.5 billion per year from DirecTV, or roll the dice on what could be a better distribution package but less money. The NFL has been exploring whether other companies have interest in taking over Sunday Ticket. Per the report, however, none of the various streaming services will offer $1.5 billion for exclusive access to Sunday Ticket.

One potential approach would entail DirecTV offering the package via satellite, with another company taking over the streaming rights. That approach wouldn’t necessarily replace the $1.5 billion in annual revenue from DirecTV.

78 responses to “Clock ticks on NFL’s Sunday Ticket decision

1. I want to be able to see Steelers games only. I don’t care about the rest of the NFL teams, I can see them via highlights on any sports website.
    I refuse to purchase the Sunday Ticket because it’s all or nothing.

2. I love DirecTv and the Sunday Ticket.
    Cant wait to watch Mahomes to Tyreke over and over again this season.
    But the Kansas City Chiefs are Americas team now, so they will be on Prime Time, and the National Tv games across the land. So i will probably opt out of the Sunday ticket this year. Will watch Tyreke Hill lead the team to the Super Bowl without paying almost $300.#innocentTyreke

3. I’d be very surprised if directv is willing to make any new deal that doesn’t give them exclusive rights to Sunday ticket. A lot of subscribers to directv only subscribe because of Sunday ticket but if they have an option via a streaming service directv takes a big hit.

4. The Dallas Cowboys always have been and always will be “America’s Team”, period.

5. dryzzt23 says:

June 22, 2019 at 4:06 pm

I refuse to purchase the Sunday Ticket because it’s all or nothing.
    —–
    I don’t understand this thought process and the people wanting a la carte. What people fail to realize is if they go this route it’s still going to be close to the same price. Let’s say they allow you to purchase single games the lowest price would be $20(as most ppv events are at least $20) to $30. So let’s just say your team has 4 games on local or tv in the year that means you’ll pay for 12 games which would be anywhere from $240 to $360 so at best you’ll save $50 but more likely you’ll spend the same or more and receive about 240 less games. I’m sure this is where people chime in “they could charge $10 a game” they could but they won’t and why would they. A la carte is never cheaper than a package.

6. Havent had the package in a while. I usually just get Redzone for $50 a season. Lately I get all the games and redzone for 19 a month threw DAZN. I even login share and split the cost with a friend. People outside Canada can just use a VPN tool and geohack.

7. $1.5 Billion per year isn’t peanuts.
    A real company would have planned for this years in advance and known what to do.
    If the NFL isn’t at least 90% sure then just stay with Direct TV for a few more years, and take the guaranteed money.
    And plan ahead for 2022

8. “”dryzzt23 says:
    June 22, 2019 at 4:06 pm

I refuse to purchase the Sunday Ticket because it’s all or nothing.””

One game pricing is available. Now, it will cost $49.99 per, but if that is not an issue, then you have it. Direct was sued a few yrs ago over this. So basically its all or nothing, but they do offer it on game by game basis.

9. “Stay the course for $1.5 billion per year from DirecTV.”

Guess who is really paying that 1.5 billion?

Fools!

10. I’ll never understand why the NFL puts all it’s eggs in one basket? I think Directv needs the ticket more than the other way around. why can’t you just pay for the games you want when you want them? It would seem to me to be a no-brainer for the league to make even more with out directv.

11. I now live on the west coast but a die hard Browns fan. If directv doesn’t have sunday ticket I will drop them like a bad habit No ifs ands or buts Period. I wish they would offer a favorite team package for less

12. Funny…They don’t understand they’re already hemorrhaging money. If they won’t make it convenient for us to consume the products we want, The tech-savvy will just continue to acquire those streams any way we can without being forced onto a proprietary platform.

13. I’m an eagles fan in northern California and I have to get the ticket to watch all the games. I got the sunday ticket and I haven’t missed a game since the 2007 season. I have friends that do the streaming thing but complain about glitches. With the ticket i can watch all the eagles games and watch other games that have players on my fantasy team. I love it. I can afford to pay it, so why not?

14. This also reminds me of the Madden Football series.

Why does the NFL continue to side with EA Sports?

There are game companies out there that could make a much better game.

All about the money.

smh

15. Directv hit rock bottom when AT&T bought them out. They used to have excellent support but now not so much. I would love to get rid of it but options are limited because of the ticket and my obsession with football. All I can do is hope they lose out to someone else..

16. I just go to the local pub to watch ALL of the games!

$10.00 – Bucket of Beer
    $ 8.00 – 10 Chicken Wings
    $ 5.00 – Tip
    _____________
    $23.00 and hang out with friends…PRICELESS!

17. Just so long as I don’t have to pay for DirecTV and Sunday Ticket, I’ll pay for it again.

Unless it’s $400 a year like on DTV. Then no thanks.

I think $200 for the season is reasonable for just Sunday ticket I can watch on three devices, and it includes the 30 minute shortcuts replays.

18. The package is worth far more than DTV pays to the right outlet. And there are many “the right outlets”. IMO, DTV is inferior before, and after, ATT got involved.

19. Please NFL, drop DirecTV! I’ve been with DirecTV and had Sunday Ticket since ’97. The ONLY reason I stay with them is for the Ticket. And their customer service has gone to hell since AT&T bought them.

And while we’re at it, can you insist on some broadcast standards? FOX is still broadcasting games in 720p when most of us are wondering why the NFL is the only major sport without games in 4K?

20. As a Pats fan in Northern California I also use Sunday Ticket, it is a great option for displaced fans, but recognize there are far too many fans that cannot take advantage of it. If the league does not continue with DirecTV I just hope that there are other easily accessible, quality streaming options made available like Amazon or similar. I tried streaming quite a few years ago and it was awful – tiny screen, poor quality, buffering problems, and way too many pop-up ads. Hopefully it is better now if needed.

21. Direct TV’s Sunday Ticket is still the best option to watch games. People complain about the price, and it probably would cost more for a family of 4 to go to 1 game live at the same price they pay Direct TV for Sunday Ticket. Streaming on your phone is fine, but nothing beats watching games on 75′ TV’s in your Living room with Friends and Family.

22. Surf Bandits says:
    June 22, 2019 at 5:20 pm
    I just go to the local pub to watch ALL of the games!

$10.00 – Bucket of Beer
    $ 8.00 – 10 Chicken Wings
    $ 5.00 – Tip
    _____________
    $23.00 and hang out with friends…PRICELESS!

————-
    So your spending $368 a season if you go for all 16 games and likely aren’t getting sound on your game. Depending on your city a bucket is probably 6 beers so maybe you split the beer with someone so you can say $288 which your friends would spend the same. So in other words it’s a better deal to buy the ticket yourself and friends supply the beer and food each week or you split the ticket and then rotate drinks and food. I’d rather stay home and watch with friends.

23. It’s a Monopoly. Unless you live within your teams demographic you cannot watch your teams games weekly without Direct TV. Before AT&T bought them out it was pretty much the only thing keeping them afloat for years due to their horrible contracts. The NFL knows that if they offer a similar package to all providers they could double what they make off direct tv

24. hailskins1975 says:
    June 22, 2019 at 5:49 pm

==================================

Not true!

25. I has ST for one season and hated it. Like the name implies it’s Sunday games only. No Thursday, No Saturday, No MNF. Also no preseason, no playoffs. To top it off all your local team’s games are blacked out. Then there’s the price. You’d feel better about it if they delivered the bill wearing a ski mask and waving a gun.

26. The solution is so simple. Just offer NFL Game Pass everywhere and get what you can from the AT&T losers running DirecTV. The combined income will more than offset giving them an exclusive and putting up with their subpar service.

27. I’ve had Sunday Ticket since the day it became available, and that’s the only reason I got, and continue to have Direct TV. Direct TV puts more into trying to get new customers than trying to keep the ones that have been with them for 15 plus years. The day the NFL takes the ticket from Direct TV, I’m getting a new provider as well.

28. If the league was smart they would 2 things: make an nfl streaming service, $8/month to watch one team 16 games. Make it $100/year to watch the whole league. Make it $300/year no commercials, unlimited games, local sports radio commentary.

29. Either Disney gets the rights across-the-board, for the Disney plus ESPN brands, or the combination of Disney + and Amazon. if anybody else said this yet they are correct. I’m more concerned gravity ceases to exist than this doesn’t happen

30. Really with U-Verse not having NFL Network and Direct TV not having Sunday Ticket as viewers will dwindle over that. Need to make up minds and fast.

31. Well, as expensive as Sunday Ticket is, it’s still cheaper than actually buying a ticket to watch the team in person, so there’s that.

32. I love football, but with that being said I refuse to pay any more than I already pay for my internet/TV service to watch a single game = NOT A PENNY MORE, I will do just as I did with boxing/MMA and not watch, unless of-course those games/fights are on a channel I already get, PERIOD!

The NFL is getting carried away with all this GREED and always wanting more money, I see the NFL going the way of NASCAR in the near future, it’s just getting way to damn expensive! I’m already seeing more and more empty seats at stadiums every year, hell the Bucs were giving tickets away last season and their stadium was still nearly empty. GO ahead and keep raising prices! I never thought I’d say this but the NFL is/has become a rich mans sport, especially to attend a game live.

33. People forget you must subscribe to the overpriced DirectTV to get Sunday Ticket. You’re really not getting very much for a lot of money. You get free games or Thursday, Monday and at least 4 games on Sunday afternoon/Sunday night. So, they are charging a lot of money for just a few games you can watch live since you can only watch one at a time. Sports fans, especially NFL fans are the biggest suckers in the universe. We pay more and more and accept blackouts and all the other nonsense. Ridiculous.

34. minerslung says:
    June 22, 2019 at 6:32 pm
    ______________________________________________________

Just curious, what will they use to fill over an hour of commercial time with, that’s a lot of dead space to try and fill?

35. Steve Cunningham says:
    June 22, 2019 at 9:59 pm

——

Other commercial free live sports streaming services show a wide angle camera view of the field (court etc) with live audio from the venue during time-outs, and change of quarter. Half time varies.

36. I really hope they end this. I just discontinued my DirecTV service because I didn’t think it was worth it for Sunday Ticket, but I probably would buy it again if they made it available to other providers.

37. You mean that Amazon or Netflix wouldn’t match whatever DirecTV is paying? That’s kind of hard to believe, unless the NFL isn’t as hot a commodity as they’re trying to make everyone think it is.

38. I’m a Steeler fan now living in TX. For many years I purchased Sunday Ticket. Then it struck me how often we have truly wonderful weather here in October, November, and December. For the games that aren’t available over broadcast, I started listening to them on SiriusXM while doing other things, like fishing or driving around exploring back roads. I can always watch the highlights later, and the Pittsburgh radio guys are awesome! It’s been 4 years now and I don’t feel like I’m missing anything.

39. The NFL gameday app is a better deal. I think it is around 120 bucks a year. The games in your area on TV play live. Late games, Thursday games, someday night games. Playoffs and Superbowl are live. If your team for some reason isn’t shown locally, or you want to see a different game, you just adjust your day and 5 minutes after the game is over, you can watch the game on the app. Also on Mondays you get the coaches all 22 film. You can choose announcers for radio broadcasts. Includes red zone, and the last 11 years of every game available to watch year round. In CC luring playoffs and Superbowl. Highly recommend.

40. I can see why direct TV could control the market but now that technology has caught up its anyone’s game now. With internet access people can get the games. I’m not getting direct TV just to watch my team

41. I get it for free as long as direct tv has the package if not forget I can watch the 49ers on local channels I think I would cancel direct tv if they can’t keep it

42. I’m a Pats fan in SoCal, and truth is, I only use ST to watch about 8-10 games where the rest are either Sunday/Monday/Thursday night games or are the national game broadcast locally when the Rams/Chargers/Raiders aren’t on. I would still prefer al a carte, but the NFL needs to start realizing that a LOT of fans only watch their own teams play.

43. Paul D says:
    June 22, 2019 at 9:54 pm
    ————
    No, you can stream Sunday Ticket with DirecTV without subscribing to their tv service. I get it on both of my Samsung Smart TVs via an app.

44. If there is worse customer service than Direct TV I haven’t found it. They make Comicalcast look like a walk n the park. I live in two places and I could not log in when I went back to my other home for a couple of weeks. I spent hours on a Sunday trying to explain to a guy in India what football is. Everyone in customer service thought I had the Dirct TV entire network and none of their reps ever heard of Sunday Ticket? Most people get Sunday Ticket to watch one specific team yet they shove the entire package down your throat at a high cost. When there is a good game on it is usually blacked out because the Network rules. Technically there were issues with the picture, delays and freezing up during the games. NFL please find a better way and let the fans pick their hometown team to watch!!

45. I have had Sunday Ticket. Twice. As a Bills fan of course watch their games at !pm eastern time when the majority of the Sunday games are played. That leaves 2 or 3 4pm games which I am often not that interested in. And with more and more games being played on Monday and Thursday and other weeknights that are on national TV, it doesn’t pay to get the Ticket. You end up paying a lot of money for a handful of games out of your market.

46. Would gladly drop the dreadful AT&T and DIRECTV in a heartbeat! As soon as the news came out about the acquisition, I knew it would get worse. As usual, they have confirmed their greed and complete disregard for their customers. I’ve paid full price for almost 15 years while they give it away to new customers regularly. Pitiful. Shame on the NFL!

47. Would love to see the NFL charge only $99 to see just one team’s games all season and $250 for the entire league.

48. I canceled DirecTV after having that only because of Sunday Ticket. I was a 17 year subscriber. I canceled because I did not feel paying $300 plus for the ticket was worth it. At no point did I ever get any type of promo or longevity discount. Yet, new customers would get it for free. I haven’t missed it really, either. On the upside, changing providers has saved me over $200 a month via bundling services. Plus, I don’t lose my signal anymore due to weather issues.

49. FoozieGrooler says:

June 22, 2019 at 5:55 pm

———–
    Why would you need Sunday ticket for the others? Outside of MNF airing on ESPN all the other games are available over the air on free channels and your local team is blacked out on Sunday ticket channel because you can watch it on its normal CBS or fox channel.

50. I love football and have never needed Sunday ticket. Our local team is always carried by one of the local stations as are several other games throughout the day. If you have the NFL Channel and ESPN you can see even more games plus the games on Monday and Thursday night that are broadcast nationally. All of the games are rebroadcast during the week on the NFL Channel plus the best highlights are aired repeatedly. I can usually watch most of my favorite teams (I have several) enough to enjoy seeing good football or go online and find a game that is being streamed. As far as I’m concerned Sunday Ticket is over-hyped and a rip off.
    There are only so many hours in the day, and most people have a life as well so. Sunday Ticket isn’t their lifeline. Without Sunday Ticket though, I believe that some football fans will switch their interest to other more readily available broadcasts of college football and other sports. This seems to be another case where the greed factor of the NFL is clouding their vision of the bigger picture of the competitive market. NCAA football (and other sports) have become more competitive, has fewer interruptions, less politics and drama with officiating and more readily available for viewing by the public. Even high school games are sometimes showed in my area, which provide an opportunity to see future NCAA/NFL stars from their early days.
    Take it or leave it…makes me no difference, won’t rock my world!

51. davew128 says:

June 23, 2019 at 1:16 am

Paul D says:
    June 22, 2019 at 9:54 pm
    ————

——–
    There are stipulations to that such as being in an area where directv isn’t available, living in an apt or college student and more.

52. Something better than DirecTV needs to surface. More options to watch any game we want on multiple platforms are needed

53. I have had DirecTV and Sunday Ticket for years – the cost is what it is. If you get Sunday Ticket you get the streaming included. I would like to see the streaming option decoupled from the broadcast option so I would have a choice to stream only or buy the broadcast option. MLB Extra Innings and MLB.TV do exactly that. Want to stream only? Just buy MLB.TV. Want broadcast? Buy Extra Innings and get the streaming included free.

54. It’s 2019. If fans want to watch any game on Monday, Sunday, or Thursday, look up a live stream for it on the Internet. If you have a 4K television that connects to Youtube, Facebook, NFL Game Day, and other sites, you can watch the games for free as long as you’re paying for your Internet and cable bills. Heck, you can even download the games via torrents on Ten Yard Torrents and NFLFullHD.

55. There’s no reason for the NFL to stay exclusively tied to DirecTV. More providers offering the Sunday Ticket means more subscribers, plus more competitive pricing. The NFL has nothing to fear buy cutting exclusive rights ties with DirecTV. As for DirecTV, if their survival depends on keeping exclusive rights, that’s their problem.

56. My advice is Amazon try and split it with another provider maybe Netflix. You could stream each game for $9.99. 16 games minus the games your teams play in prime time. Sunday ticket for $3 to $5 a weekend. You control the price that you are willing to pay! With the price of football salaries going through the roof it’s only going to go up!

57. The NFL Sunday is a total rip-off to the tune of about $300.00 per season. I have to pay for a dozen games every week that I don’t wish to watch plus even pay when my home team is blacked-out on DirecTV due to local network coverage. Sunday Ticket is the only reason that I keep DirecTV. My local cable broadcasts everything that I want to watch other than football. So from my perspective DirecTV, NFL Sunday Ticket, and the way it’s managed really sucks…..and is damn expensive. Their monopoly on the NFL is ridiculous.

58. The Sunday ticket value has been dropping for years. With Sunday and Sunday night Thursday night and Monday night games all on national TV means less games on the Sunday ticket. So your paying more for each game you see on the ticket but they raised there price. I have come to the realize DTV is not worth it and the don’t give a dam.

59. minerslung says:
    June 22, 2019 at 6:32 pm
    ———-
    How is that smart for the league? Your proposal means to watch 1 team it would cost $32, the whole league $100. So they would have to sell 3 league passes and 2 team passes to make what their making off 1 subscription now. That’s a horrible business plan. That’s like saying people pay $4 for a gallon of milk but instead let’s cut the price to 99c cents so it takes 5 times as many people buying to make the same money. As I’ve stated before if the league does something where you can buy per game or by team your likely talking $20 to $30 per game and probably about $250 per team. To think they would or should charge less for a service people pay for is a bad business plan. Would I love it to be $5? Sure but it’s no different than any other goods being sold, it’s about supply and demand.

60. America doesn’t have a team. It has 32. Every single team exists in America. I’m an American. I don’t root for the Cowboys or the Chiefs.

61. I had Direct TV and the NFL Sunday Ticket from 2003 through January 2019 and actually loved the service. I never had any weather related issues and the picture was always excellent. But once AT&T got their mitts on DTV, the customer service was negatively affected. The Call Centers were switched overseas and trying to get a true management person in Retention was next to impossible. And unlike previous years, AT&T wouldn’t “negotiate” and provide any discounts, so I switched to Spectrum, who is also my VOIP and Internet provider, for $100 dollars less per month for the same channels.

Well, that was an epic mistake, as Spectrum’s picture was awful, their customer service overbearing and incompetent and after months of the audio being 3-4 seconds ahead of the video on many channels (including their App), I went to Costco and signed up for Direct TV again. I received a DVR (which Spectrum charged $24.99 per month) FREE Sunday Ticket, a $300 dollar Costco Gift Card and one year for the Extra package for $63 dollars, including HBO at no charge for a year.

It really doesn’t matter to me if DTV loses the Sunday Ticket because I’ll continue to subscribe. I can’t see leaving Direct TV again in the near future, or at least until the Streaming Services can compete, with a 4K picture and no interruptions in service, which may take the better part of the next decade. Streaming probably won’t be an option until true Fiber is available in my area at a reasonable cost and even then, I’d need to spend considerable time demoing that service.

And to the person that mentioned Game Pass an alternative to Sunday Ticket, no thanks. I purchased GP last summer to watch Preseason Games in Real Time (instead of waiting until 3am on a Wednesday) and it was just awful. Streaming issues abound when watching live. I would be extremely unhappy with that service. Extremely.

62. I usually call dtv and try and work out a deal. Got them down to 240 last year. The local team is not our fav so I get it for my wife so she can see her team and I follow several others.
    Ps they don’t mount dishes on roofs anymore. Mine is chest high next to my garage. I can easily clean off the snow if need be.

63. I thought it was interesting that there was no mention about keeping fans happy. You may not make the whole 1.5 billion, but fans would be ecstatic. And if the streaming service did it per team, they would get a LOT of customer who are currently just going without. NFL needs to stay in business, but fans need to be served if they want to grow that business. Just taking the money now is short sighted.

64. American customers get screwed by the NFL. I live in Australia, and any other country outside the US can get NFL Game Pass for $199 a year. I can watch on any device. All live games included, and also a game archive back to 2010. Plus Red Zone and a live feed of NFL Network 24/7 and on demand NFL Network shows. And it’s all available all year round instead of just during the season.

65. I had DirectTV for years and it was OK, but overpriced. A few years ago my bill was going to go up to $120/month – for the package that basically got me the sports channels I wanted.

So I dropped them and have had Playstation Vue since then for basically $50/month for the same channels. I can get Red Zone for $10/month during the season, then I drop the sports package. And I can also turn off my membership when football ends and start back up in August because everyone else in my house is happy with non-TV entertainment (Netflix, etc) and I only watch sports, for the most part.

What I’ve found is that a streaming service isn’t as convenient (sometimes you need to go to a channel’s app to see a game) and there are occasional technical glitches (but they’ve gotten better every year), and I’ll gladly deal with the minor irritations and save $70/month.