Packers focus on improving locker-room camaraderie

Getty Images

The new-look Packers are looking for better ways to help their players bond.

As explained by Ryan Wood of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, items like a basketball hoop outside the meeting rooms and an advance viewing of the latest John Wick movie have been aimed at ensuring players develop a connection.

“The gap in talent around the league is not too far,” new Packers safety Adrian Amos told Wood. “Everybody is good, everybody has great players. It’s just about coming together, and how those players mesh together, how players work well with each other. That’s why you see teams that maybe their roster may not seem like they should be that good, but they are that good, just because of how they work together, how they play together.

“The more and more you hang out with one another, you start to pick up on each other’s tendencies on the field. The more you hang out with each other off the field, you just start learning peoples’ personalities. You know how to approach somebody.”

Ultimately, it’s about finding ways to develop real trust among teammates

“With more trust, it’s easier to hold somebody accountable,” Amos said. “If I know me and you are cool with each other, I know that if I lean on you and get on you, you’re not going to get down in the dumps because you know it’s coming from a good place. I just want to see you get better.”

The process also helps to identify who’s on board with winning, and who isn’t.

“I think it’s more do you have any bad apples in the locker room, more than anything,” guard Lane Taylor told Wood. “Because, it’s like, I don’t have to be best friends with Jaire Alexander for us to be good, and vice versa, or anything like that. But I think if you have a locker room that’s really bought into the team and winning and doing the right things, that just really kind of bonds everyone together. Everyone trusts each other, and kind of lay it on the line for each other.”

So maybe these efforts to build bridges among players are more about finding the players who refuse to build those bridges. Chances are those players ultimately will become the ones who can’t be counted on when adversity inevitable strikes.

70 responses to “Packers focus on improving locker-room camaraderie

1. It’s nice to have coaches thinking about chemistry and team building, as opposed to just hoping and praying the (nearly exact same) team that won 8 games last year somehow just becomes better. Lol

2. items like a basketball hoop outside the meeting rooms and an advance viewing of the latest John Wick movie have been aimed at ensuring players develop a connection.
    _____
    LOLOLOL. OMG! It’s worse off the they are saying in the press.

3. packertruth says:
    June 22, 2019 at 6:40 pm
    Hard to have camaraderie when Aaron Rodgers is busy throwing you under the bus… -csays a couple guys below here.
    ———————————
    But what’s sad is that a team lead by your glorious “leader” for so many years even needs to focus on improving the team’s spirit! It speaks volumes that there’s a big enough issue to try addressing and to broadcast being seen to do it. Very sad but at least it admits to a problem.

4. “The more and more you hang out with one another, you start to pick up on each other’s tendencies on the field. The more you hang out with each other off the field
    ___
    So watching John Wick with somebody will help you know where they will he on the field. I think practice. Would help more but the Packer’s can’t even get to that point yet, they are still working on holding hands and singing kumbaya

5. Chances are those players ultimately will become the ones who can’t be counted on when adversity inevitable strikes.
    _____
    Watching john wick will help you be counted on when adversity inevitable strikes?
    Please pass the pop corn. Can’t wait to watch this train wreck and the first sign of adversity and Rodgers’ tantrums

6. LOLOLOL. OMG! It’s worse off the they are saying in the press.
    —–
    Yes, it’s a sad day. Most of the fans in GB have already abandoned the team because, my God, they’re watching movies and shooting hoops together. The embarrassment is just unimaginable. Just cancel the season already!

7. That’s why you see teams that maybe their roster may not seem like they should be that good, but they are that good, just because of how they work together, how they play together.
    _______

I guess that’s what they’re counting on.

8. Can it be any clearer Rodgers has that locker room a mess?
    —–
    Can it be any clearer that you need a hobby? Dude, there’s 15 posts and half of them are yours. Get a grip.

9. O for 59 says:
    June 22, 2019 at 7:02 pm

—————
    Before making troll statements you should really think of your own team finally catching up to the rest of the league who have been doing it for years. You also might want to realize your insult of winning 8 games is pretty hollow when your team has 2 consecutive years of 7 and 6 wins…

10. I guess that’s what they’re counting on.
    —–
    Well, the Vikings have proven (over and over) that talent alone isn’t enough, so it’s worth a shot no?

11. Before making troll statements you should really think of your own team
    —-
    If you don’t want to read “troll statements” from Packer fans, perhaps don’t hang out in the comment sections of Packer stories. Problem solved.

12. Yes, it’s a sad day. Most of the fans in GB have already abandoned the team because, my God, they’re watching movies and shooting hoops together.
    ___
    You are missing the point that the coaches are pushing them to do these things because there is no team comrodarey. They are not doing it on their own.

13. cheeseisfattening says:
    June 22, 2019 at 7:31 pm
    pkrlvr says:
    June 22, 2019 at 7:27 pm
    Can it be any clearer Rodgers has that locker room a mess?
    —–
    ____
    Are you saying I should be changing my sn like Packer trolls do? Nah I don’t Need alternative personas I can own everything I say.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don’t know what anyone else is saying. I’m saying I’m STILL looking for “Ross Tucker’s Hair” to reappear. That’s the earliest one of your names that I remember making you quit. There may have been earlier ones (Jebus knows there’s been plenty of later ones) but that’s the first one that I remember.

14. I don’t know what anyone else is saying. I’m saying I’m STILL looking for “Ross Tucker’s Hair” to reappear. That’s the earliest one of your names that I remember making you quit.
    _____
    Oftenworong, please do tell what associates me with rosstuckershair or any other sn and what exactly did you think you did that you are patting yourself on the back here?

If you like I can cut and paste every time I proved you wrong on here? Want me to start that norse division man?

15. cheeseisfattening says:
    June 22, 2019 at 7:38 pm
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It’s odd then, that not a single coach was quoted in this article, isn’t it? Only players. You must be really smart.

16. pkrlvr says:
    June 22, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Before making troll statements you should really think of your own team
    —-
    ————-
    I usually don’t. However, if I really don’t want to listen to troll statements I wouldn’t be able to read the comment section under Vikings posts where people (trolls such as yourself) actually spend more time. My point is I don’t understand why people troll with stupid comments about a team’s win-loss record while their team is worse. It’s lame. I think the Packers have finally rid themselves of people holding the team back and are finally understanding they need a defense.

17. With the amount of posts cheeseisfattening’s registering today, this story must have really triggered him.
    Seriously, Relax, Dude.

Look, if these players want to build better social relationships to be able to lean on each other and provide more accountability in the locker room, so be it.
    It certainly can’t hurt.
    They’ve always had a great locker room.

And as for a few of the trolls still trying to push the skewed narrative that Aaron Rodgers is a locker room issue, I would have thought that the one-sided reaction from current and former teammates had to that erroneous B/R story several weeks ago would’ve set you straight.
    But why let these obvious facts get in the way of your irrational Hate-Fest.

All I know is talent trumps all.
    Talent makes teams great, wins games, and ultimately leads to postseason success.
    The Packers rode a solid wave of talent for the better part of the last 10 years, and hopefully these last couple of drafts, coupled with the choices made in free agency will go a long way to replenishing this team.
    I’m cautiously optimistic in the changes we’ve made.
    But in the end, time will be the ultimate judge.

As for the Barneys, as always, I do understand your bitterness.
    Almost 60 years of utter futility must be difficult to stomach. Nauseating really.
    And the fact that you’re into year 6 of a coaching tenure that has barely been able to accomplish anything with that rabble filled, overpaid roster has to be all the more frustrating.

You all lash out like angry children, because you have no other constructive ways of expressing your anguish.
    I honestly feel sorry for most of you.

I send you peace, love and warm thoughts, hoping you eventually find solace despite your longstanding pain.

18. I usually don’t. However, if I really don’t want to listen to troll statements I wouldn’t be able to read the comment section under Vikings posts where people (trolls such as yourself) actually spend more time.
    ———-
    You have to understand when Viking fans troll in Packer stories pkrlvr gets annoyed and says things stop trolling and being obsessed BUT when Packer fans troll fan stories and Viking fans say stop trolling and being obsessed pkrlvr then say stay out of the kitchen if you can stand the heat.

Yeah, he is that guy.

19. the newest method to build camaraderie is to hold group therapy meetings at what it’s like to have to walk eggshells around the QB and the torture of praying that Rodgers will like you or you’re finished as a Packer…

20. pkrlvr gets annoyed and says things stop trolling and being obsessed BUT when Packer fans troll blah blah blah
    —–
    Show me one instance of a single Packer fan hitting a Viking article as hard as you do Packer stories. Just one. You’re literally the biggest troll on pft. I think we’d all prefer not to sift through a dozen posts calling our favorite teams garbage, but that isn’t justification for your behavior. “They do it too” doesn’t cut it.

21. However, if I really don’t want to listen to troll statements I wouldn’t be able to read the comment section under Vikings posts where people (trolls such as yourself) actually spend more time.
    —–
    You may want to check my post history before saying “trolls such as yourself”. You’ll never see an unsolicited negative post from me. Not my style.

22. like to have to walk eggshells around the QB and the torture of praying that Rodgers will like you or you’re finished as a Packer
    ——
    I know that’s the bandwagon theme now, but where was this horrible disposition when the Packers were winning between 2009-2016? Do you think it came on all of the sudden in 2018 or is/was it a reaction to MM’s stale, lacksidasical coaching? This season will be very telling.

23. Ziggy is the perfect owner for Minn fans. Y’all are scam artists. The whole country is laughing at you.

24. pkrlvr says:
    June 22, 2019 at 9:16 pm
    —–
    1. Waffle does as much as me want more but he changes his sn
    2. So now level is the issue? If I did it a little like you it would be ok? Hey stay out of the kitchen if you can’t stand the heat.

25. pkrlvr says:
    June 22, 2019 at 9:24 pm

—–
    ———
    I checked the last couple Vikings articles and you pretty much are very neutral. Too many trolls here blurring the line of any rivalry.

26. You are missing the point that the coaches are pushing them to do these things because there is no team comrodarey.

++++++

Maybe every 10th post consult a dictionary?

27. Remember when Peyton Manning won the Super Bowl and retired?
    Rodgers is 20-18-1 since that point.

Remember 9 years ago when the Packers won the Super Bowl?
    Rodgers is 5-6 in the playoffs since then.

If he’s top 5 at anything right now its at avoiding interceptions and wins.

28. A total rebuild of the office and coaching staff, and still a team of Drama Queens. Those are lead by the biggest of all.. Ha ha when the Vikings FA’s are turning down more money to stay with Zimmer and the Vikes! HAHA good luck to you!

29. Wow! Amos is brand new to the team and he sees and is addressing the disfunction in the locker room. If he can help bring the team together, the Packers may get over .500 this season.

30. bitterminnfan
    Minn fans, The whole country is laughing at you.
    “”””””””””””””””””””””””
    So your user name being a ‘minnfan’, albeit bitter, does that mean the ‘whole country’ is laughing at you? I’m not following your logic.

31. Wafflestomp says:
    June 22, 2019 at 8:35 pm

————————-
    Never been in their locker room so no idea what its like in there. I just know he doesn’t win football games.

32. The biggest and primary difference among all NFCN teams and their expectations for success remains to be Aaron Rodgers. All the negative vitriol thrown at the Packers won’t change that. The predictions for the demise of the Packers is an annual refrain I’ve heard every year since 1990, and amounts to nothing more than wishing, hoping, and praying expressed repeatedly by frustrated and bitter and jealous Viking football fans. They want a taste of what it might be like to enjoy and appreciate and respect their favorite team the way Packer fans do theirs. Just once. They want what we have and they want to be us.

33. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    June 23, 2019 at 7:21 am
    I give packer fans credit. So far no packer poster has claimed that this bonding will lead to a Super Bowl. Yet.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It’s ironic when a Viking fan attempts to school Packer fans on what it takes to get to a SuperBowl.

Gets me every time!

34. The sixth pick says:
    June 23, 2019 at 5:15 am
    Wafflestomp says:
    June 22, 2019 at 8:35 pm

————————-
    ________________

Really? His record of 109-64-1 says otherwise.

35. cellarperformance says:

###

You do realize that the Packers, with Aaron Rodgers on the team, are winless against the Lions and the Vikings over the last 2 seasons. They did beat the Bears 3 times. That’s 3 wins in 12 games in the NFC North.

Of course, the Bears were swept by the NFC North in 2017, so 2 of those 3 wins are highly suspect.

36. gtodriver says:
    June 23, 2019 at 9:57 am

_________

Since Aaron Rodgers has an overall record of 41-18-1 against the NFC North, I’m willing to chalk up the last two seasons to a team slump.
    But, when I look at those eye opening numbers, I finally realize why you trolls have such an irrational hatred for the guy.

37. ariani1985 says:
    June 23, 2019 at 12:19 pm

Rogers has the same amount of success as trent dilfer! Let that sink in!
    _________

And Trent Dilfer has achieved a significant amount of more success than every single player who’s ever had the ultimate misfortune of putting on that putrid purple uniform.
    Let that sink in!

38. It’s true Rodgesr has had a successful career, we heard last year is when he was going to come back with a fire under him, however he slumped and was either hurt or “throwing games” to get McCarthy fired. Excuses aside that’s two years in your mid thirties with no semblance of success. Not everyone wins into their late 30s and 40s, he will either have to have a top notch year this year or its time to face facts its going downhill fast.

You can make excuses about injuries but that is also a factor that leads to a demise as well. That will all be known once they get on the field, not whether he invites guys over to shoot hoops. He will have some good games since they play a third place schedule, but he needs to show he can win more than one division game, its been years since that’s happened.

39. Since their inception, the Vikings have had more HOF quarterbacks, more All-Pro quarterbacks, and more ProBowl designee quarterbacks than the Packers. Where are their trophies? Do trolls realize how hollow their insults and putdowns are? They’re all hat, no cattle.

40. Stella – if you weren’t trolling you would know the only HOF qb that is really considered Vikings inductee is Tarkenton. Moon and Favre were at the twilight of their careers. Yes Favre liked MN but he had 1 good year that’s like saying Lombardi was the Redskins coach. Don’t blame either of them for wanting out of Green Bay but anyone other than an uniformed troll knows their careers were made in green bay.

41. RMoss84HOF:
    You make some very good points. It’s too bad the hatred of some of the trolls makes them blind, deaf, and arrogant to what’s really happening.

42. Waffles says

###

Rodgers HAD a record of 38 – 10 against the NFC North at one time. Most of that time was when the NFC North, as a whole, was not having the best of records (Lions 0 – 16 season and 2 – 14 season, Bears 3 – 13 and 4 – 11 and Vikings 3 – 13 and 5 – 10 – 1).

But Rodgers hasn’t performed at a significant level since he hit his 30’s.

He’s injury prone, has declining skills and is a coach killer. He WAS an outstanding QB for a number of seasons. But in his career as a starter, he’s only averaged 9 wins per season.

In only 4 of 11 seasons did he have more than 10 wins, the last one being 2014.

In 4 of those same 11 seasons he had 6 or fewer wins and 2 of those were in the last 2 years.

So, basically, since turning 31, Rodgers has become a has been.

You look at a true HOF QB like Brady – Tom has won MORE than 10 games each of the last 9 consecutive seasons – all after turning 31. Tom has not missed a single start due to injury since the 2008 season.

43. RMoss84HOF says:
    June 23, 2019 at 4:47 pm
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I thought Favre had his best statistical season ever in Minnesota? That’s should’ve been good for one SuperBowl, because, after all, getting there and winning one is so easy (according to Viking fans.)

Have you grasped my point yet?

44. cheeseisfattening says:
    June 23, 2019 at 4:10 pm
    Pollyanna fan base yells slump while everybody else sees decline
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Everybody else! Right! You made me laugh beer out my nose again! Stop!

45. gtodriver says:
    June 23, 2019 at 7:49 pm
    Waffles says

###

But Rodgers hasn’t performed at a significant level since he hit his 30’s.

In only 4 of 11 seasons did he have more than 10 wins, the last one being 2014.

So, basically, since turning 31, Rodgers has become a has been.

__________

Wow. I don’t even know where to begin with this post.
    I’ll try and take it point by point.

1. Rodgers hasn’t played at a significant level since turning 30.
    At the age of 31, Rodgers posted 38 tds. Against 5 picks and 4,331 yds. Won the MVP Award and led his team to the NFC Championship, losing to the Seahawks.

At 32, Rodgers led his team to a 10-6 record, passing for 31 tds. Against 8 int. for 3,821 yds. losing in the divisional round of the playoffs.

At 33, Rodgers added another 40 td passes to his career total and threw just 7 ints. for 4,428 yds. again leading the Packers to postseason wins over the Giants and Cowboys, but coming up short in the NFC Championship. (So, basically, since turning 31, Rodgers has become a has been. Your words, right?)

At 34, as I’m sure you are aware, Rodgers suffered an injury plagued season only starting 7 games, while posting a 4-3 record.

And finally, at 35, though suffering through a broken leg, with the Packers implementing three rookie receivers, he still managed to start every game, posting 25 passing scores against just 2 picks for 4,442 yds.
    Respectable numbers, and you know full well if Teddy Bridgewater would have done something of this nature, Minneapolis would have shut right down and you’d all be throwing him a ticker tape parade.

2. 4 out of 11 seasons he had 6 or fewer wins, with 2 of those in the last 2 years.
    This statement is mighty disingenuous of you, simply because, as I’m sure you’re already aware of, two of those seasons Rodgers suffered a collarbone.
    He only started 9 games in 2013, winning 6 of them, and just 7 games in 2017. (But, we’ve already covered that.)

3. Rodgers only averaged 9 wins a season.
    Are you serious? You make that sound like a bad thing.
    Please, compare him to Brady any day, that’s simply not an insult.

4. Coach killer.
    Really? You honestly are starting to sound dumb now. Aaron Rodgers is only on his 2nd coach during a 14 season career, with 11 as a starter.
    In the past, you Barneys used to claim that Aaron Rodgers was the only reason Mike McCarthy kept his job.
    You can’t have it both ways, which narrative is it?

Listen, I realize you hate this guy, and a lot of this is just wishful thinking, but seriously, the amount of misdirection and outright ignorance in your post is staggering.

46. Um Welcome to 2019 where Gutey has been doing this for two years now. The exodus of the likes of HaHa, Randall, Montgomery etc weren’t evidence enough for this to sink in?

47. Strong leadership has always = Super Bowls in Titletown

60s – Lombardi, Starr, Davis
    90s – Holmgren, Reggie, Butler
    2010 – Woodson, Driver

Who are the leaders on this team?.. who have the leaders been since 2010?

No surprise this team isn’t winning at the highest level.

48. Rogers has the same amount of success as trent dilfer!
    =====

Rodgers – highest rated passer in NFL history
    Dilfer – 149th

Rodgers – 10th all-time in td passes
    Dilfer – 123rd

Rodgers – 17th all-time passing yards
    Dilfer – 105th

… you were saying??

49. philcodean says:
    June 22, 2019 at 7:48 pm

Green Bay historically has had one of the best locker rooms in the league. And that shows no signs of changing/////

Headline –

“Packers focus on improving locker-room camaraderie”.

Which word don’t you understand? Improve or camaraderie?
    And how would you know what goes on in the packers locker room “historically” – just stop embarrassing yourself homer.

50. Yeah Rodgers never won 2 mvps, a superbowl mvp, and didnt they win the division 8 straight years with him as the starter? Don’t let the purple stupidity cloud your mind, your barneys are not very good!