Cowboys, Patriots, Eagles fans rank as best in NFL, according to one study

Getty Images

Emory University Goizueta School of Business professor Mike Lewis sought to use statistical analysis to determine the NFL’s “best” fans. The study used the hard-core, religiously devoted fan as well as the casual fan, so those at the top of the list have more of the latter and those at the bottom of the list less.

The Cowboys ranked as the best fans in Lewis’ study, followed by the Patriots, Eagles, Giants, Steelers and Packers, respectively. The Rams were 32nd, just ahead of the Chiefs, Titans and Jaguars, respectively.

Lewis, via Yahoo.com, judged fan bases on three criteria — fan equity, social equity and road equity. Fan equity is how well fans back up their words with dollars. Social equity is a team’s social media reach. Road equity measures how well a team draws on the road, adjusting for team performance.

Read more about how Lewis came to his conclusions here, and feel free to debate his findings in our comments section below.

See which teams ranked where in this full breakdown:

1. Cowboys

27. Browns

28. Bengals

29. Jaguars

30. Titans

31. Chiefs

32. Rams

115 responses to “Cowboys, Patriots, Eagles fans rank as best in NFL, according to one study

1. Every year these things come out and every year I think about how stupid they are. There are so many variables you could never do a truly accurate study on this.

2. Cowboys are the most marketed team, the America’s Team moniker is B.S – Texas’s team more like it.

Texas doesn’t represent the entire country anymore than California does.

3. This pats fan recognizes that Arrowhead stadium rocks like an earthquake when their fans get going. Seems like this study is flawed. besides what if a fan buys one jersey during his lifetime and takes care of it like it’s a sacred ceremonial garment?

I’m so sick of greed being valued. Don’t people realize that greed is actually a bad thing?

4. I remember being in Boston in 2000 and listening to Patriots “fans” talk about their team. It wasn’t just frustration – it was pure disrespect.

Those unfair-weather times and attitudes will come again. Watch.

5. Seeing as how at least part of this was based on Fan spending money it makes sense that the Cowboys were top of the list. You all know that old saying “A fool and his money are easily parted”.

6. I can’t blame Chiefs fans for being disgruntled with their team. I don’t think I would be enthusiastic about my team either if my team employed Tyreek Hill.

7. NFC EAST: 4 of the TOP 11. C’mon Washington! Just kidding…only divison to have all 4 teams win SB. Of course Patriots have enough for the entire AFC.

8. toothfairyretributionmanifesto says:
    June 24, 2019 at 3:08 pm
    Rank as most annoying maybe.
    ———
    Seattle has the most annoying fanbase. They are new but they are definitely the most annoying.

9. If you can’t respect what the #BillsMafia has done charity-wise, don’t bother. Out of respect to other fanbases, gotta give it up for KC.

10. I will always be a Patriots fan. The fanbase is set for life. What is it with some people thinking that fans will no longer support them after Brady and Belichick are gone? Look at all the interesting players they’ve had: John Hannah, Jim Plunkett, Ty Law, Steve Grogan, Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinest, Tedy Bruschi, Tom Brady, Doug Flutie, Vince Wilfork, and other ones. They’ve played in some of the craziest super bowls in NFL history.

11. I attended Eagles at Panthers a few years ago and it felt like I was in Philly. Eagles fans travel well.

That said, I don’t think amount of money spent is a good way to measure fans.

12. I would have to agree for the most part, was expecting to see the Vikings a bit higher and the Lions much lower. Bears and Packers are definitely top ten along with Steelers, Giants, Cowboys, Niners. Patriots are a wagon jumper team and frankly so are the Eagles because of their recent SB.

13. Is it fair to include the pats since they win so much? In all seriousness, too many variables to quantify best fans. Going 19 years with no playoffs would drive some fans of any team away

14. Oh Bills fans get over yourselves, in 51 yrs I have met alot of fans of other teams, and I believe the only team fan I have never met was a Bills fan.

15. If those where the three categories used to measure this bogus poll then I would love to know much worse are those teams in every category as compared to the Bucs. Their games barely have anyone there (for the home team), I don’t imagine people spending a lot of money on team apparel (who really wants a Winston jersey) and as far as social media goes you only hear from Bucs fans during the first quarter of the season because that’s the only time they think they still have a chance and soon realize their team is hot garbage again. So to have other teams fall behind them is a little baffling to be honest.

16. As an Eagles season ticket holder, I can say that we are AWESOME fans! I’ve never had an issue at the Linc The Linc rocks every game, the fan base is diehard and battle tested. Now let let the morons bring up snowballs and Santa from 50 years ago. Nevermind that their teams have “fans” falling off the upper deck, geting into fistfights, and being apologists for players who should be locked up. Philly has the perfect atmosphere for football with the best fans.

17. Ridiculous. Jets, Browns, Vikings, and Chiefs all in the bottom third? Those are some of the most hard core fan bases in my experience.

18. Very poor criteria. Pretty easy being a fan and buying a ton of merch when your team is winning SB’s.

19. Browns should have been ranked higher. After all they’ve gone through? Those people are loyal.

20. No way the Dolphins should be #14. If you’ve ever been to a Dolphins home game, stadium is half empty and at least one third of the fans are supporting visitors.

21. Dallas and NE fans are the best at jumping on bandwagons and that is about it. Oh, and whining.

22. Football in Texas is huge but the Cowboys have been so overrated for the last 15 years. It’s always this is the year they do something in the playoffs. Nope and not this year either. But I hope Dak gets his $34 million a year contract.

23. Look at the fans of teams that have not been to the Superbowl or teams that have not been there for a while;
    Browns, Lions, Jets, Vikings,…
    these fans should get extra credit just for enduring.

24. Texans have never failed to sellout a game in their history. #21? No chance.

Went up to Dallas about 3 seasons ago and easily had 40% of that stadium. Cowboys fans were terrible.

25. “Check how fans are during the tough times. I know older NE fans will object, but most younger Pats fans are very fair weather.”

Most younger Pats fans have not experienced the tough times. Is it their fault?

26. I remember my cousin giving me two tickets to an Arizona Cardinals game about a decade ago, even though I was never a fan. Needless to say, I went with him anyways because tickets aren’t cheap. I was surprised to see how many fans were in attendance.

27. I’ve been to Gillette during the playoffs. I’ve seen the Falcons in the Georgia Dome and the new Mercedes-Benz stadium (very nice new house), but as a Chiefs fan I gotta say there’s nothing like the Arrowhead experience, even during the tough times. Fans are generally friendly and welcoming (‘cept when the Raiders are in town). And now that we have Patrick Mahomes the place is lit. You don’t set a stadium noise record in an open-air stadium by being 31st in fandom. 31st was our defense last year. And hopefully that’s history.

28. theboysvlog says:
    June 24, 2019 at 3:08 pm
    To be fair had this study been done in 1999 instead of 2019, Patriots would be somewhere in the 20’s, and every last one of you knows it.
    ————————————————–

To be fair, are we expected to just ignore the past 20 years? I’ve been a Pats STH since ’82 and I can’t say as I appreciate the way many of today’s Pats fans take winning as their birthright but even I have to recognize there’s an entire generation of Pats fans that have come of age under the Flying Elvis and haven’t seen a losing season. Also, to be accurate, you’d have to go back to before Kraft bought the team in ’94 for your “in the 20’s” guesstimate to have any validity. The sellouts started before the winning did when 35 years of constant fear the team would move came to an end with rock solid local ownership committed to staying in New England.

29. I do not agree that Seahawk fans are the most obnoxious. Instead, as a fan base I find them knowledgeable and supportive of their. I think the one year dynasty has a lot to do with. The obnoxiousness peaked just before that Super Bowl loss to NE.

30. vincespowersweep says:
    June 24, 2019 at 4:44 pm
    The Chiefs at 31? Wow, that says it all about this. Clueless.
    __________
    I feel like teams like Chiefs and Bills have the most passionate local fanbases in the NFL, just very little reach.

31. buffalo6969 says:

June 24, 2019 at 5:25 pm

The younger crowd actually supports the team and goes to the games. With the upgraded stadium it is a much better experience now that the sun doesn’t burn you to death like in the past.

32. Eagle fan here. Two things…KC fans are ranked way too low. And Cleveland fans will always have my admiration just for staying loyal for all they have been put through.

33. “Whenever I go to LA, seems to me that Raiders jerseys outnumber both Rams and Chargers combined, 2 to 1.”

I don’t walk around town in my Rams jersey every day. That you haven’t seen me in it means nothing.

34. ionlyrootforthewinningteam says:
    June 24, 2019 at 4:49 pm

—————
    Michigan has almost twice the population of Minnesota so when they do all their fancy calculations it’s not too surprising.

35. Ugh! The Vikings in 24th place, I was hoping people wouldn’t realize how lousy are fans were. Last in the NFC North, even the Lions have beter fans than us.
    And Ooooh, how I hate doze Packers. They’ve got everything and we’ve got nothing, it’s just note fare. And it makes me so mad. I’m going to spit more venom at them to try and make them as miserable as us.

36. Numbers can be made to say whatever you want them to say. This particular ranking “thing” is ridiculous.

The best fan base determined by dollar signs? Really? You must be a knowledgable fan of the game…but only if you give away a lot of your money?

OKee Dokee then. I’m a Packers’ fan but putting KC @ 31 is braindead and not even worth discussing. Except to point and laugh.

37. @scorpion42 says:
    June 24, 2019 at 5:21 pm
    The Philly fans appear to be the loudest, rudest and most obnoxious.
    Good for them, I guess
    ============================================
    Well you got 1 out of 3 correct. WE are the LOUDEST.

38. @joshgordonsbong says:
    June 24, 2019 at 8:33 pm
    eagles fans lmaoooo… they throw batteries at people
    ======================================================
    Once upon a time, Saints fans threw beer bottles on the field, Browns fans were throwing ripped out wooden seats onto the field; Giants fans (1 person) threw an ice ball that hit a Chargers coach in the temple, Raiders fans have reaked havoc whereever they go…Chicago, Phoenix, LA. Every fan base has a few idiots every single Sunday but everyone gets lumped in. I like many others have never thrown a battery, a chair, a snowball or had a fight at a game or was insulting to other fans. But everyone gets lumped together when <1/2% of 60+ thousand fans act stupidly.

39. @daysend564 says:
    June 24, 2019 at 7:20 pm
    The Cowboys mascot drops horse turds in the parking lot. The Eagle’s fans eat them.
    =====================================================================================
    Your post drops the Cowboys to #33!.

40. @bluenose1965 says:
    June 24, 2019 at 5:37 pm
    Texans have never failed to sellout a game in their history. #21? No chance.

=====================================
    Preseason game

41. Land of a lot of Lakes says:
    June 24, 2019 at 8:24 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Yet another intelligent packer fan shows us Wisconsin humor.

42. So I’m actually pretty good with the top 10 I am a niner fan,however the chiefs at 31 is SHOCKING!! I also don’t believe that’s very accurate. Also I wish I knew more of how this is decided. Cause lifetime fans the pats wouldn’t belong at 2 I remember in the 80’s even mid when they went to super bowl. They had trouble selling out stadium and was a terrible fan following THESE ARE FACTS!! I would say they are a millennial fan base that truly started around the 2000’s I guess what I’m saying is I’m curious how far back the study went,cause a team regardless of the era had trouble selling out there stadium should never be considered a top 10 fan base.

43. I think the Seahawk Fan base is better than average, but the one that I find interesting is the Raider’s low ranking. When they are playing in Seattle, the fans are present in good numbers (my seats are right behind the Visitor Bench) and beat all but three teams……Dallas, Pittsburgh and N.E. Patriots. I think they are actually equal to the Patriots and Stealers.

I realize that travel is just one criteria, but just saying……

44. ROTFLMAO!!! I thought it said “best”, not “most fair weather”. In 2014 I was at the opening game in Dallas to see the 49ers, and it was like a 49ers home game! Probably 75% wearing red! Dallas fans only show up when they win.

Opening Day 1978, coming off a Super Bowl XII win, they couldn’t even sell out 72 hours in advance to get the game televised locally!

Plus the incessant whining! It’s either WE won, coming from a 300 lb fat slob, or the refs cheated! What’s hilarious is listening to all of the drunk “experts” (read: morons) that call into the radio shows after a loss! (Because they know more than anyone else!)

45. Land of a lot of Lakes:
    ——————————
    You may want to focus more on whether the Packers are going to be up to the challenge of avoiding a third season in a row of failure.

46. Niners dominate the Bay that’s why the Silver and Blackout Raiders are moving again! BYE BYE Hello Vegas!
    Too much trash at Oaktown Nobody with cash wanted to build them a new stadium!

47. So when I watch other teams play on TV and I hear boos, read signs, see fans with bags over their heads are they the “loyal fans” you talk about? Apparently they are season ticket holders, right. How about the fans that have tickets and don’t show up or sell their tickets, are they loyal?
    Every team has Fairweather fans and every team has ride or die fans.Thats sports.

48. “Road equity measures how well a team draws on the road…”

So, a team like the Vikings, gets penalized in this survey because the teams they play on the road don’t fill their stadiums to full capacity like the Vikings do at home (capacity 66,655 – average paid attendance 66811).

The Packers benefit from playing at Lions (97.4% capacity), Bears and Vikings (both over 100% of capacity) and penalize the Lions, Bears and Vikings because the Packers only get 95.6% of Lambeau Fields capacity sold.

The Lions, Bears and Vikings have to play 2 games a year at Green Bay with their undersold stadium, yet the Packers are the highest rated team because the other teams in the NFC North do a better job of filling their stadiums to capacity.

49. “eagles fans lmaoooo… they throw batteries at people”

And Browns fans throw beer bottles and cheer when their own players get injured. Just ask Tim Couch about that.

50. BraceForImpact says:

Texas doesn’t represent the entire country anymore than California does.
    ******************************************************************************
    Clara is not anywhere close to Cali’s team & yes the Cowboys are North America’s team.

51. Same study takers that says smoking isn’t dangerous??!! Cleveland at 27th??!! Lol. Didn’t they just “win it all” in that fan vote bracket ?

52. The best fans are those that stick with their team through thick and thin. It’s easy to be a fan of a team that is succeeding, but wait until that stops and you’ll see who the real fans are.

53. excusemewhileiwhipthisoutagain says:
    June 24, 2019 at 5:29 pm

57 36 Rate This

———————-

Yes, the educated, passionate and loyal Boston sports fan is notorious for “bandwagoning”.

Laughable.

Anyone who has been there knows the region is insane about its teams.

54. As a Patriot fan I feel this is disrespectful to the Chiefs and their loudest open air stadium.

55. gtodriver says:
    June 25, 2019 at 7:19 am
    “Road equity measures how well a team draws on the road…”

___________

Do you have any idea how laughably ignorant you sound?
    Everybody else does!

56. gtodriver says:
    June 25, 2019 at 7:19 am
    “Road equity measures how well a team draws on the road…”

#########
    I’ve seen you trying to post this junk before, your numbers are wrong and you are grossly misinformed. The Packers sell out every single game and have since the 1960 season.
    I should know because I’ve been on their season ticket waiting list for almost 20 years. It will be 20 years, come September.
    Now, I was no business major in college, but I would think if there were tickets available, the Packers wouldn’t keep me waiting over two decades to purchase them.
    Perhaps an intelligent Viking fan such as yourself could explain it to me. But I suspect since you’re nothing but a useless troll, so you’ll just keep on posting your erroneous numbers.

57. I’m a Packers fan, but I live in Minnesota. Based on what I see of opposing fan bases, Steelers fans have to be right at the top. They are exceptionally loyal; the Steelers don’t come this way often, but when then they do, their fans are all over town and decked out in Steelers regalia. Chiefs fans ought to rank higher, too.

As for the teams in the division. . . while some of the Vikings fans who comment here are obnoxious, in the main the Vikings have a very good fan base — they know the game and if you have a serious conversation with them, they are realistic about their team and its history. What’s a shame is that a lot of their best fans have trouble getting into the stadium because the corporate money crowds them out. I actually enjoy Bears fans; we love beating their team, but Bears fans are very knowledgeable and fun to jaw with. Lions fans are fatalists.

I love my Packers and our fans are great. Are we the best fan base? Maybe not, but we are up there.

58. Bart Starr 15 says:
    June 25, 2019 at 10:36 am

_________

I feel your pain, It took me almost 30 years to finally get my Packer tickets, and that was just for the Gold Package.
    They gave me the option to accept that immediately, or remain on the waiting list for an opportunity to purchase the Green Package for an indeterminate amount of time.
    Obviously, I chose the bird in hand.

With the last couple of stadium renovations, they’ve been able to work through the list quite a bit.
    Hopefully your name will come up soon.
    Good luck.

59. I think some hair-splitting knuckle-draggers don’t realize luxury boxes are included in capacity numbers, but not in the sell out tallies.

60. gtodriver says:
    June 25, 2019 at 7:19 am
    “Road equity measures how well a team draws on the road…”

———————————————————-
    So you’re saying Packers have 11 home games and Lions, Bears and Vikings only have 7?

61. The term “best” is misleading, of course…”most active” or “most engaged” or “most passionate”, etc might be a better description. Clicking on the article and looking at the breakdown of the 3 categories tells a more detailed story, with franchises like the Rams and Raiders suffering lower scores because of turbulent location and uniform situations and such. (who even knows what Ram jersey to buy?)

But the top 9 or so shouldn’t come as surprises based on what one can observe in the general public (outside the home area) and on-line.

62. gtodriver says:
    June 25, 2019 at 7:19 am

“Road equity measures how well a team draws on the road…”
    So, a team like the Vikings, gets penalized….

+++++

The Vikings are rated ahead of Green Bay in road equity by the author of the study. So wrong, again.

63. TheGuru says:
    June 24, 2019 at 9:25 pm
    @bluenose1965 says:
    June 24, 2019 at 5:37 pm
    Texans have never failed to sellout a game in their history. #21? No chance.

=====================================
    Preseason game

Nope regular season. You may have been one of the thousands of Cowboys fans who sold their tickets to Texans fans.

64. I would fail the students who published this study. Just the mere fact the Chiefs are behind the Chargers is proof. There was more Red in the stands at both San Diego and LA than Charger fans for many years, even when the Charges are considered a top team.

It will be interesting to see how this study changes over the next few years with a QB like PM2 where his jersey will be selling off the shelves.

65. Bills fans # 19…??? Have these guys even know where Buffalo is, never mind attending a game in December…??

66. Brett Wheeler says:
    June 24, 2019 at 11:04 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________

Umm, make things up much? The Eagles fans show up, but only about 10% in their jerseys. The Niners didn’t even register…it looked like specs of blood in a large mixing bowl.

You’re obviously one of those morons from California that moved to the great state of Texas – coming in droves. Please go back.

67. Can’t comment on much on the NFC East, but I can on NE, KC, SD, Oakland, and Denver. New England, after discovering it had a franchise about 15 years ago has begun to pay attention to the Pats, however prior to that they were a “no show” franchise. KC and Denver–sell outs, fan loyalty, well traveled and passionate fan bases. San Diego–when more teams fans fill your stadium you really have no base. Raiders? Empty Hole. This list is bad.

68. kd75 says:
    June 24, 2019 at 5:22 pm

Before 2001, you couldn’t find a Pats fan in Massachusetts if your life depended on it.
    ————————————————————

Yet the Patriots have sold out every game since 1994, all of which were played in that dump Foxboro Stadium up until 2002.
    So I’m not suggesting you’re wrong…you’re just wrong.
    What else ya got?

69. Its crazy that Brady has a top selling jersey for like 18 years.
    He’s got to be the #1 selling NFL jersey of all time.

I’m pretty sure the Eagles sold more merchandise in February 2018 than half the teams have in the last couple years.

70. Any team that had success early in the Super Bowl era has a distinct advantage in the size and reach of the fanbase, still to this day, because fandoms are often handed down within families. That’s why it is incredible what the Patriots have done. Dallas has the advantage of having been successful early, and being one of a few teams in the entire southwest area at the time, so they cover a lot of ground. And then there is proximity to Mexico. I’ve been to Dallas and toured the stadium and one of the most cherished memories I have is seeing the etched glass signs in the locker room that show overall Super Bowl appearances and wins, and seeing the Patriots ranked above them. Punked in their own crib! Lolzzz…

71. kd75 says:
    June 24, 2019 at 5:22 pm

****************************************************

I would post a picture of my Super Bowl ticket from January 26th 1986 if they’d let me. Had to fly to Houston and drive 10 hours to New Orleans because all flights into NOLA were booked.

I was in the Orange Bowl (wooden end zone bleachers on the open end of the stadium) for the AFC Championship Game that year as well. Had to fly to Orlando and drive to Miami because all inbound flights to Miami were booked with Pats fans. There were over 20,000 fans there from New England that day and it looked and sounded like 40,000. Drank the place dry.

This was never the truth. But when you are in the back yard of The Celtics, Red Sox, and Bruins (in a hockey town), it’s hard to get attention, especially nationally, unless you have success. Getting banned from Monday Night Football for over 15 years didn’t help with recognition either.

72. Cowboys, Patriots, maybe ??? Eagles fans are not well thought of when they have a beer in their hands~They have made the news a few times for this~

73. Too bad he didn’t include “class” in his criteria. Philly would have come in last.