Which 2018 rookies will make the biggest leaps in 2019?

Getty Images

Inspired by the rookie of the year wager between Baker Mayfield and Saquon Barkley, Monday’s PFT Live looked at the 2018 rookies who will become second-year players in 2019.

Which of them will make the biggest leap this year?

Simms and I drafted three each, with Simms once again gaining the edge by winning the #rigged coin toss.

Check out the selections in the accompanying video, chime in with any you think you missed, and tune in Tuesday morning for the next edition of PFT Live. We’ve got only four more shows until our annual hiatus.

31 responses to “Which 2018 rookies will make the biggest leaps in 2019?

1. Sony Michel. I’m a Patriots fan and my opinion is Brady will play until 45, however, Brady understands he may not be able to sling it 45x per game for a full 16 if he wants to get another 3 or 4 yrs out of his body. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Michel with 250 carries for 1100 yds and 8-10 TDs this year. This would pair nicely with 4000 yds, 33 TDs and 9 Ints from Brady.

2. Josh Allen had a better rookie season than Sam Darnold – that’s just silly. The latter’s passing numbers were considerably better, including the league’s highest QBR for the final quarter of the season. And I LOVE Josh Allen, but he’s got to run less and be more careful. Refine by far the best hose in the game and the sky’s the limit! Sam Darnold’s instincts and feel for the game are peerless – maybe makes his ceiling higher than Allen’s.

3. I’m sorry, we’ve been told ad nauseum that Jaire Alexander isn’t very good by the Minnesota vikings fans, who also tell us all the time how smart and humble they are.

4. It could very well be someone that was on IR during their rookie season and has yet to make a name for themselves in the NFL.

5. Jaire had a great season last year and I think he kind of became a star aleady in the process. I do see him taking it to a even higher level this season, but if I am being asked who will make the biggest 2nd year “leap” I would say Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

MVS was just able to start to show some of what he is capable of last season, and I think this season he becomes a star.

I also think Josh Allen in Buffalo becomes a QB that people start including closer to the upper tier when talking about the best NFL QB’s. I said over a year ago and I still say he will have the best career of the QB’s out of the 2018 draft class. Many have already given Baker that title. I think that is premature.

6. “Josh Allen completion % is like 56%. Inaccurate QBs usually don’t make it too long.”

=========

That’s 12 games of one season.

The QB you try to brag about, Kirk Cousins, had a 52.3 completion % in 2013. He stuck around so long that your fav team signed him to a mega contract 5 years later.

Try harder little one👌

7. hey guyz big time VIKES guy hear

Laquan tredwel is gonna have a huge 2nd year. WATCH OUT! That guy is so fast.

If I am being honest tho I wish we had someone like that Alexander he can cover and not hold!!

8. Josh Allen completion % is like 56%. That’s really bad, even for a rookie. Inaccurate QBs usually don’t make it too long.

____________________________________________________________

Josh Allen also had one of the worst OLs in football (they couldnt get any blocks playing minecraft), one of the worst receiver drop rates in the NFL and the teams leading receiver was a UDFA who was cut from the team multiple times, once during the regular season itself

Thats not to say that he didnt struggle himself at times, but Josh Allen is really a QB you need to go watch tape on. Because you can see the Bills running the same plays on several instances of the season. And before his injury, early on the season, his passes on those plays were rushed, poorly placed or inaccurate. But then, after his injury, he looked more calm and poised. Plays where he panicked, he looked more decisive and composed and the throws were on target and well timed. A bootleg HB flip that gained 15 yards because the pass was high early in the season, is now well placed and goes for 50. A FB wheel that was thrown high early in the season, stopping a sure TD was perfectly placed later in the year. He looked like a QB who was forced to hold the clipboard and see how a veteran composes themselves.

The Bills went into this offseason and made the moves to fix the team deficiencies on OL and WR. If he can continue to see the mental improvement progress from the second half of last season, he has the physical tools to be a special kind of QB.

Ill also throw another one out there that hasnt gotten a lot of talk. The Bills other first round rookie, Trumaine Edmunds. He, like Allen, struggled at the start of the year, but by the end, he was a legitimate high level starter at LB. Hes the youngest starting LB in NFL history and with a full year in the system and another year of growing into his body, this kid could be an Urlacher level LB talent in the next year or 2 if he works at it.

In all honesty, the Bills had a really strong draft class in 2018. DT Harrison Phillips showed flashes of great play and isnt being asked to carry this year, hopefully he will continue to grow. CB Taron Johnson was the best pure coverage CB out of last years draft prior to his injury. UDFA CB Levi Wallace was extremely strong as his replacement late in the season and played well above his draft position, aka none. And WR Robert Foster was an exciting, if raw UDFA. He could easily turn into another Stevie Johnson caliber borderline WR1 player with another strong year.

9. 32 teams in the league, all with 2018 rookies yet 4 of the first 8 responses of which 2018 rookie will make the biggest leap are from Packer fans telling everyone it will of course be a Packer. “I am shocked” says no-one.

LOLOL nobody else cares about such meaningless offseason talk talk.

10. cheeseisfattening says:
    June 25, 2019 at 1:13 pm
    LOLOL nobody else cares about such meaningless offseason talk talk.

—-

hey my guy I love your work maybe you can show me where DA PACK FANS are saying of course it will be a packer so I can copy and payst it to get them good!

11. cheeseisfattening says:
    June 25, 2019 at 1:13 pm
    LOLOL nobody else cares about such meaningless offseason talk talk.

—–

I believe only 6 teams are tagged (the ones with the players chosen). So of course it would make sense that the majority of the comments will come from those teams. It’s weird, though. You’re always talking about how bad Jaire is, and yet the two pundits in the video seem to disagree with you.

Are the Vikings tagged in this story? Or…

12. I’d think Mike Hughes would make a big leap. He missed most of last season with a torn ACL but looked good before that.

13. “Nobody else cares about such meaningless offseason talk talk.”

=========

Are you aware(perhaps a MD could explain) you post countless times on a Pro Football website during the offseason? You obviously care very much about “meaningless offseason” topics.

14. wreckdeutschland says:
    June 24, 2019 at 10:13 pm
    Josh Allen had a better rookie season than Sam Darnold – that’s just silly.
    *****************
    When your star RB does nothing all season, you lose the 2 best Pro Bowl OLinemen you have to freak injury and mental issues, and your WR’s are #3’s or worse on any other team and drop everything and you are forced to be a 1 man team to keep your team in games and do it yourself. Yes, he DEFINITELY had a better year than Darnold.

15. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    June 25, 2019 at 1:37 pm

—–

He did, actually. A good defender and a nice fit for the Vikings. I had forgotten about him (due to the injury).

16. Mike Hughes will make his leap in 2020, not this year. ACL tears take a while for the player to trust the knee. This year, Hughes may struggle.

17. cheeseisfattening says:
    June 25, 2019 at 1:13 pm
    LOLOL nobody else cares about such meaningless offseason talk talk.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nobody but you.

18. packertruth says:
    June 25, 2019 at 2:43 pm

________

That’s fine with me as long as it means Dalvin Cook will have a breakout season his second year after ACL surgery.

19. Josh Jackson I think will also have a 2nd year jump in Mike Pettine’s D. Josh was just decent last year and you saw a few signs of what he can be. Often CB’s take a year to really adapt to the NFL and you start to see what they really are in year two.

Oren Burks needs to really show up in training camp and cement his spot next to Blake Martinez at ILB. I don’t know about “leap” for Oren, but I do think he can be a better than solid ILB in Pettine’s D.

The 2018 Draft is looking more and more like a very high graded draft for the Pack. After this season we can better put a proper grade on it, but with players like Jaire, MVS, EQ, and Josh Jackson coming from that draft you like the chances of a high grade when all is said and done. Gute did well and I think in another year or two we will be grading the 2019 draft even higher.

#GoPackGo!🏈

20. Cole Madison provides some of the great depth on the Packers OL. If injuries occur this season the Pack has the depth now to plug guys in and not miss a beat.
    =====

Wouldn’t surprise me if Madison won either of the starting G jobs.

21. kennypowers1078 says:

Rashad Penny
    Tremaine Edmunds
    Christian Kirk
    ————–
    I second this motion. The first selection being a homer pick for me, but I do believe in Penny. He flashed a lot of spark last season. Just has to do it consistently. Tremaine Edmunds was a freak coming out and I think was a little overwhelmed last season being thrown into a starting role as a rookie, but has the talent to be successful. Christian Kirk really showed a lot last year and I really liked him even though he was on the Cardz. He’s going to be really good.

22. Though an undoubtedly biased choice…Tre Flowers. Changed positions to start at CB for the hawks last year and looked right at home from early on. Very excited to see his year two growth.